Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-02-03-WWE-Halftime Heat] Velveteen Dream & Aleister Black & Ricochet vs Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano & Adam Cole

Edwin

• GSR changed the title to [2019-02-03-WWE-Halftime Heat] Velveteen Dream & Aleister Black & Ricochet vs Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano & Adam Cole

I do love how they just threw the TAG stipulation out of the window. So much so that The Revival mentioned it on twitter . Anyway this was solid. Basically nothing more than a few greatest hits, nothing really of worth beyond that. The Panama Surprise was indeed a suprise, but sadly it still looks like utter shit . Don't really get why people loved it so much but whatever, this is fine. People gonna overrate it because it's NXT but this was just a spot fest mainly, and much better examples can be seen elsewhere. ***

Now this I am interested in. I am really interested in what you consider to be a better spotfest than this. Because I thought this was a great spotfest that was a mile a minute that was strikes and dives. When I watch a Dragon Gate spotfest, I am bored because it is just modified slams that look stupid. This was fun. I really thought this was one of the best matches in the genre. 

If you had one opportunity to show a casual fan what wrestling is in 2019 and what is special about NXT, this is the match you put on. WWE manufactured this chance out of thin air by pulling the Halftime Heat gimmick out of their ass, and while I don't believe for one second that any casual viewers even switched over from the train-wreck Superbowl that was airing at the same time, these 6 workers took the ball and ran with it. This was a high-scoring affair with All Star Game vibes, where team pride translates into brand awareness by extension. If this was 2020 and had aired live on FOX, it would be a total touchdown and some of these guys would still be trending. If WWE makes all the right plays with that kind of exposure, there's no reason guys like Ricochet and The Dream aren't household names. But while we're still in this holding pattern of rasslin' being a nerd secret for whatever reason, here is your go-to primer for casuals who want a WWE fix and can't get into the foreign stuff. ****1/4