Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Pedro Morales

Ricky Jackson

5 minutes ago, Cornette's racket said:

Was Pedro part of the concussion lawsuit ? I honestly don't know because there were so many part of that lawsuit and that will probably dictate what happens.

I don't believe so, but he was very Bruno-eqsue in not liking the modering presentation of wrestling. His issue was more the reliance on gimmicks rather than Bruno's issues with drugs, but he was apparently pretty vocal about not following modern stuff. It's the reason he more or less fell off the face of the earth after the 90s. 

13 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I don't believe so, but he was very Bruno-eqsue in not liking the modering presentation of wrestling. His issue was more the reliance on gimmicks rather than Bruno's issues with drugs, but he was apparently pretty vocal about not following modern stuff. It's the reason he more or less fell off the face of the earth after the 90s. 

Thanks. I was genuinely asking was he. Gimmicks ? Like 1990's WWF over the top gimmicks ? I can see why a guy of his generation wouldn't be a fan. Yeah he was inducted in the WWE hall of fame in 1995 and then nothing. I mean I'm a student of history in wrestling so I knew who he was but how many modern fans would know him ? I think I'm right in saying with his death, billy graham and bob backlund are the only WWWF champions still alive. 

When I started watching in the mid 80s he was still around as a JTTS type guy, and when I first got online in the early 90s I was floored to find out this guy was a huge draw. Like I knew he was a former WW(W)F champ since Gorilla would mention it, but in my young brain I thought it must have been a short transition run.  It's amazing how someone who was so big for an extended period of time more or less got completely forgotten so fast. 

3 minutes ago, sek69 said:

When I started watching in the mid 80s he was still around as a JTTS type guy, and when I first got online in the early 90s I was floored to find out this guy was a huge draw. Like I knew he was a former WW(W)F champ since Gorilla would mention it, but in my young brain I thought it must have been a short transition run.  It's amazing how someone who was so big for an extended period of time more or less got completely forgotten so fast. 

He's the fifth longest combined WWE champion in terms of days as champion and he only had one reign. Cena has 13 and he's about on,y 200 days above morales. He's the longest combined IC champ by days as champion but that will probably be broken by the Miz at some point. 

A friend of mine from another board who had gone to MSG since in late 60's said of this about Pedro.

I'm going to make a bold statement here but this is what I remember to be true and I remember it pretty well.

Morales was WAY more over in New York than Sammartino. Blasphemy? No, fact. Pedro being Puerto Rican completely changed the demographics of the MSG crowd as well as in the outer borough spot shows. The crowds became overwhelmingly Hispanic and worshipped Pedro like a god. Being Hispanic they would become very emotional when Pedro took a beating. The closest I've ever seen to a full blown riot was when Don Leo Jonathan just kicked the living shit out of Pete at the Garden. The crowd was literally this close to storming the ring. They had to rush to a bullshit finish where DLJ put the Mormon Swing on Morales but got dizzy and fell out of the ring to be counted out

One of the most underrated top stars in wrestling history IMO. He was also huge in California in the 60s. Definitely one of the greatest draws in the history of NYC wrestling. As for matches, the one that dropped on the Network vs Blackjack Mulligan, his first title defense at MSG, is a great representation of how over Pedro was in that city. Just crazy nuclear heat. In the early 80s he had great matches at MSG with Patera, Slaughter and the Texas Death with Muraco, but he also had plenty of stinkers during that time. He also rocked the iconic, one of a kind, two-toned orange trunks night in night out. He must've had dozens of pairs lol. RIP

29 minutes ago, Al said:

Morales had three separate runs with WWE. In the '60s he wrestled a ton as an undercard face, usually as Miguel Perez's tag team partner. Titles aside, he was one of the longest tenured wrestlers the company ever had.

Plus however long he did commentary too, no?

• 3 months later...