Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-05-25-AEW-Double or Nothing] Cody vs Dustin Rhodes

paul sosnowski

This is truly a thing of beauty right here. Blood has become so rare on the mainstream wrestling stage that Dustin's gusher immediately created a striking image and a compelling hook to base the whole match on. Cody was at peak smarmy old school heel mode, even putting a Figure Four onto his brother like he was Ric Flair reborn instead of Dusty. Dustin's selling was otherworldly in this match. Moving around and flailing like a blinded Jerry Lawler. My god was that initial heat segment after the cut a great one. A lot of wrestlers can learn from how judiciously Dustin popped out his high spots for this match. The sliding tiger feint kick at the start made for a nice hint at the athletic ability still left inside of him. But then when he popped that Code Red onto Cody? Insanity. A somewhat abrupt finish but nothing that could truly taint the wonder that was this match.

The post-match with Cody choking up as he asks for his older brother, that's the stuff that makes wrestling moments iconic. I'm HYPED for Bucks vs. Rhodes Bros.

****3/4

I said earlier in one if the AEW threads here that this match could be the dark horse match of the night and boy did this over exceeded my expectations and then some. I rarely quiet during wrestling matches but this caught my full attention from start to finish. Cody may not be a great technician or high flyer but he has found his niche at doing simple old school storytelling with lots of emotion. He was in rare form being the slimy heel with help from Brandi. Things progressed slow til Dustin got busted open. Cody was magnificent working over the cut and Dustin being the firey babyface with a full on Muta Scale making his come backs was a sight to see. Him popping out a Code Red for a nearfall popped me out of my seat. This performance from him cemented Dustin Rhodes in my eyes as an all time great. 

Then the post match stuff is a perfect example of how great professional wrestling can be. This is a absolute MOTYC for sure. 

This is my current match of the year.  Just amazing work.  Never imagined in my life that I would have tears in my eyes watching a Cody match but such is the brilliance of Dustin Rhodes.  A lot of people in that crowd had their eyes opened to how amazing he is and the crowd reaction shots were also a great part of this match for me.  Also, one of the best blade jobs I have ever seen.  High art.

Dustin having a big singles match was easily my most awaited thing on the whole show, and he sure worked his magic here, to say the least. You just can't fake this kind of magic & emotion - everything felt organic & real. I already got a bit emotional when the brothers were staring each other down & the crowd was chanting their fathers name very loudly, but in the end, with the "I need my older brother" line, I MIGHT'VE shed a tear or two. Those bastards. Was certainly worth the wait to see them FINALLY get the big singles match between 'em - I remember back in like 2011 posting on other wrestling boards about wanting to see the match at Mania, and that continued for years, every Mania-season. Now it finally happened & it sure was something special. Everything from the atmosphere, to Dustin's all-time great babyface work, to Cody being an asshole, to the bladejob - which is one of the most disgustingly effective & awesome ones I've EVER seen, to the CODE RED, to the post-match. Pure magic. Pure damn magic. Rhodes Forever! ****1/2

Holy shit. I can't say much more than what's already been said. This was a mid-south flavoured brawl with buckets of emotion. Cody looked like a big star during his entrance. Dustin's bladejob! Dustin's punch-drunk selling!! That post match stuff that could make a rock shed a tear!!! Cody really stepped up here and Goldy got a chance to show why he's one of the GOATs on a big platform. Isn't pro-wrestling marvellous?

★★★★½

I finally got round to watching this today and was blown away by how good it was, with a god tier performance from Dustin.

It wasn’t absolutely perfect though. I thought that Cody’s entrance with the sledgehammer smashing the throne was lame and unnecessary, and the Brandi Rhodes interference and subsequent ejection was a little jarring, it felt rushed and unearned (killer spear though) and it didn’t really need to be included. 

That being said, from the blade job onwards this match was outstanding and the post match put it over the top. MOTYC for sure.

If you watched his Starrcast interview Dustin Rhodes's only regret about the match is that he didn't fully take off his boots (teased retirement). Otherwise, he thought it was the sole highlight of his career.

Exceptional match obviously that got better as it went along. A one match showcase that blood could/should be part of modern Wrestling if warranted. 

• GSR changed the title to [2019-05-25-AEW-Double or Nothing] Cody vs Dustin Rhodes
  • 1 year later...
On 5/29/2019 at 9:09 AM, cactus said:

Holy shit. I can't say much more than what's already been said. This was a mid-south flavoured brawl with buckets of emotion. Cody looked like a big star during his entrance. Dustin's bladejob! Dustin's punch-drunk selling!! That post match stuff that could make a rock shed a tear!!! Cody really stepped up here and Goldy got a chance to show why he's one of the GOATs on a big platform. Isn't pro-wrestling marvellous?

★★★★½

Rewatched this tonight and I loved it even more. This was perfectly paced and everything flows exceedingly well, from the Brandi interference to the horrific bladejob by Dustin. Two years on and AEW still hasn't been able to top this. 

★★★★★