Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-06-09-NJPW-Dominion] Dragon Lee vs Will Ospreay

paul sosnowski

Felt like this was a bit of a slow-starter but right when Dragon Lee hit his insane tope suicida we were off to the races. A really great back-and-forth bombfest that you would expect from these guys. Not either guy's best match this year (they both honestly had better matches in BOSJ) but this was everything it needed to be.

****1/4

Didn't care for this one bit. Feel like a broken record in saying this, but it was your usual, dull, generic & soulless Will Ospreay big match bombfest. Of course there had to be a DRAMATICALLY-TURNS-AROUND-TO-SHOW-HE-LANDED-ON-HIS-FEET -spot too. At least the dive by Dragon Lee that took out both Ospreay & poor Milano was pretty awesome, but overall this was just bleh, meh bleh. *

Yeah, I liked this much, much better than the Shingo match. I thought they had a much better handle on the pace here with a steady but impressive start and then going into bomb mode after that amazing suicide dive. Pretty much loved this even though I don't like how Ospreay had to reach into his triple finisher sequence. Much better used against Shingo than Lee. The Hidden Blade would have been satisfying enough without compounding it with the Top Rope Os Cutter and Storm Breaker. Probably also helped that this didn't go 35 minutes.

This was nowhere near as stirring as the BOSJ final. They did some cool shit, most notably that batshit Dragon Lee dive. But this felt much more like a generic junior showcase because Dragon Lee simply is not a great mountain to climb compared to Shingo. I understand the instinct to say less is more, but that wasn't the case here. 

I actually rather enjoyed this, although I did feel it fizzled out a bit at the end and Ospreay's absurd ability to bounce back up after insane bumps continues to frustrate. That dive over the guardrail was nuts. As was the sequence which ended with Ospreay landing on his feet on the outside. Not on the level of the Shingo match but a nice follow up. Ospreay is quite incredible to watch. If only he could try making the big spots in his matches count for a bit more, I might be really on board with him.

I took the Child’s Summer Movie approach to this match and enjoyed it for what it was. I thought Ospreay had less WM7 reaching for the heavens visuals here than in the BOSJ final. Dragon Lee isn’t that compelling overall this year but that tope was nuts. **** (7.9) 

Ospreay continues his campaign for WOTY, adding this epic battle with Dragon Lee on the list. All action with both throwing bombs and doing cool sequences with probably the greatest suicide dive I ever seen. Also great camera work catching the perfect angle when Ospreay landed on his feet from Dragon Lee's running hurricanrana.

• 2 weeks later...