Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-08-03-AAA-Triplemania XXVII] Blue Demon Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr (Mask vs Hair)

Makai Club #1

The entrances set the whole tone for this match. Both coming down off lifts that would normally be used for construction. The video package playing in the middle of the two, whilst they are angrily trash talking. It was a tremendous visual. As way Wagnery having a large entourage and Blue Demon Jr having only one, which is his son, Hijo del Blue Demon. 

The match starts out hot, with Blue Demon attacking Wagner before he could take the honorary mask off and busts him open, with the blood turning some of the mask red and smashing him with a bottle. Just absolutely great rudo work from him. Him and his son double teaming Wagner to hit a chop was just a tip of the iceberg. Wagner showed he wasn’t averse to brawling and whacks Blue Demon Jr with a metal pan rips the mask and busts him open. The match got much more intense when Blue Demon Jr used a hammer of all things and goes to town on Wagner’s back and hand. The visual of Blue Demon Jr being drenched him his and Wagner’s blood whilst furiously locking on the Fujiwara armbar was amazing. And teased Wagner tapping for it in the match so well every time. Wagner’s short comeback with him desperately trying to win Demon with the Wagner drivers was so great as you could feel the urgency and desperation that he had. The finish was good, the interference I could’ve done without but the use of the weapon fit the hate filled feud they’ve built for the past year. Awesome match really. Blue Demon isn’t renowned for being a good wrestler but he brought some great rudo work in this match to match Wagner’s technico performance. ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2019-08-03-AAA-Triplemania XXVII] Blue Demon Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr (Mask vs Hair)

Absolute bloodbath and is probably the most violent match this year. Almost like they saw Cody-Dustin and said "Hold our beers". The hammer stuff was sick and Demon going for the Fujiwara after nailing Wagner in the arm was great stuff. Wagner sold it beautifully as well although I wouldn't be surprised if his arm was seriously injured. Wasn't crazy about the finish basically being "distraction, cinder block to the head" and Wagner looking like he tapped earlier on in the match, but it was still pretty thrilling stuff.

****1/2 and I still might be underselling it.

I'd probably lean a bit towards the 4.75 star rating. This is pretty great, simple work. I don't mean this as a shot at NJPW and the G1 at all because I am really really enjoying it, but being in the midst of it and seeing this, where two guys get so much done with much less in terms or physical ability is a nice bit of refreshment right now. This was all drama and violence and I am here for it. Strong MOTY contender.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This was one of the most viscerally violent matches I can remember seeing. Demon was a wandering dead eyed psychopath in this match, with Wagner doing a great job as a charismatic babyface fight back against a horror movie villain. I have seen plenty of matches with big weapons shots over the years, and this match was a great example of making each weapon shot a memorable moment. Demon opens up the match with by breaking a bottle over the head of Wagner, who had come into the match wearing his mask, which maybe stretched the rules a bit, but did allow for a bloody white mask which is always a great visual. The second huge moment came when a sickeningly bloody Demon goes out of the ring and grabs a claw hammer, and attacks Wagner like he was Richard Speck. He slams Wagner in the back of the head and spine, and hammers his hands like his knuckles were penny nails. It was a great bit of close magic by Demon, it really looks like an attempted murder, and I have no idea how you gimmick a hammer to the back of the head. The final huge moment comes at end of the match, after Wagner gets a bunch of close near falls with nasty Wagner Drivers, Demon’s kid runs into with a cinder block, he awkwardly stands around a bit before getting bums rushed by Wagner’s seconds. Demon Jr. gets his hands on the cinder block and smashes in over Wagner’s head, in a pretty gross tribute to Angel o Demonio,  KOing him and winning his hair. Hell of performance by two guys in their 50s as they just milked every bit of drama out of everything they did with Demon leaving puddles around the ring like an un house broken puppy.