Pro Wrestling Only

WWE 24/7 July-September 2007 Thread

Loss

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Legends Roundtable is up, and it's about the Territories. What struck me is how the consensus seemed to be that wrestlers today are hurt by not having different territories to hone their craft in, with Hayes in particular talking about visiting OVW and being disgusted at how poor the wrestlers were at cutting promos that weren't spoon fed.

I mean, you have Patterson, Hayes, Ross, Foley, and Tazz going on about how WWE overscripts promos and don't give guys a chance to get over. You'd think at least a couple of those guys would be in a position to suggest changing that.

I think there's a couple of inherent problems from WWE's perspective. Not an exhaustive list of course.

1. WWE really has no interest in the plight of the individual wrestler. Right now the brand WWE outshines any individual wrestler in the world, including John Cena or the Rock. The company recently ran Smackdown in my area and without Cena, Orton, etc., sold out. They do not even need to name a match to draw at this point. It's dog-eat-dog as far as the talent is concerned.

2. There is not much of a place to practice promos outside of maybe house shows. I think it's apparent that WWE tightly scripts their television, they do not take many chances in their live shows.

To me the biggest loss of the territories is the loss of live shows. 30 years ago you would get live shows in MSG, Meadowlands, the Spectrum, Scranton CYC, etc. once a month. Now WWE comes around twice a year at most and the only alternative is weak indy shows like Afa's WXW. (For the inevitable question, I'm not so familiar with inner-city Philadelphia that I'm comfortable seeking out Ring of Honor shows. It's a two-hour drive to the city itself.)

Here's something I'd like to throw out there. I think the death of the territories would have occurred regardless of Vince McMahon. Once cable television developed, it was only a matter of time before a wrestling promotion ran nationwide. You'd almost certainly get consolidation at that point, as the national promotion draws more money, the big stars become attached to it and the fans desire to see the bigger stars rather than the small ones. Some of Vince's predatory practices hastened the process, but I think it was inevitable.

Here's something I'd like to throw out there. I think the death of the territories would have occurred regardless of Vince McMahon. Once cable television developed, it was only a matter of time before a wrestling promotion ran nationwide. You'd almost certainly get consolidation at that point, as the national promotion draws more money, the big stars become attached to it and the fans desire to see the bigger stars rather than the small ones. Some of Vince's predatory practices hastened the process, but I think it was inevitable.

Definitely. In fact, GCW/WCW (TBS, expanding anyway) and Southwest (USA), the 2 promotions with strong weekly cable shows (the WWF was on USA for house shows only, and while their weekly TV was on WWOR, a superstation at the time, it wasn't as big as TBS nationally) were starting to work together in '83 so they could combine their powers to run super-loaded shows nationally, but when Joe Blanchard fell behind on his payments to USA and ran the manure angle, opening the door for the WWF to take over that slot. The USA slot was then used brilliantly by Vince McMahon in a Trojan Horse move, as he became the other promoters' best friend by making the new show "All-American Wrestling" and showcasing other groups stars such as Hulk Hogan...to get them over nationally for when he snatched them up.

The writing was on the wall going back to WTBS becoming a superstation and Los Angeles wrestling on SIN (now Univision) in the '70s, but there was a big play right before Vince's.

And on a purely 24/7 related note,

(These were shown during the newest Legends roundtable)

I just watched that show yesterday and was amazed to see that footage. I guess the prayers, vitamins, and training paid off, because young hulkster was pretty small, relatively speaking.

Where did the clip of Heyman talking about Tazz threatening him after the impromptu promo come from?

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Schedule:

Clash of Champions 20th, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

Don Muraco vs Hulk Hogan, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

History of ECW 2/18/96, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

HOF: Magnificent Muraco, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-26-08 TV-14

MNW: WCW Nitro 5/26/97, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

MNW: WWE Raw 5/26/97, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

Muraco Fuji Vice 5/7/86, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-PG

Muraco vs Bob Backlund, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-PG

Paul Vachon Wedding, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-PG

Stacy and Flair Wedding, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-PG

Uncle Elmer Wedding, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-PG

Undertaker Unholy Wedding, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

World Class 2/6/83, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

WWE 24/7 February, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

WWE Boston 9/6/86, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-12-08 TV-14

WWE Clash Preview, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

WWE MSG 3/16/97 Preview, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

WWE Prime Time 8/31/87, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-5-08 TV-PG

WWE Savage Liz Preview, STANDARD WWE 1-30-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

NWA Wrestling 3/1/86, STANDARD WWE 2-6-08 2-19-08 TV-14

Savage and Elizabeth, STANDARD WWE 2-6-08 2-19-08 TV-14

WWE Ladder Match Pt. 5, STANDARD WWE 2-6-08 2-19-08 TV-14

WWE Ladder Match Pt. 6, STANDARD WWE 2-6-08 2-19-08 TV-14

WWE TNT 3/28/86, STANDARD WWE 2-6-08 2-12-08 TV-PG

CWF 7/28/82, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

Dawn Marie Wedding, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

Don Muraco vs Jimmy Snuka, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

ECW 2/25/96, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

Edge and Lita Wedding, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

MNW: WCW Nitro 6/2/97, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

MNW: WWE Raw 6/2/97, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

Muraco vs Hogan Tag Match, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

Muraco vs Jack Brisco, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

Savage Liz Wedding, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

Sister Sherri Wedding, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

Stephanie Test Wedding, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

WWE Massacre '99 Pt. 1, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

WWE Massacre '99 Pt. 2, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

WWE MSG 3/16/97, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-26-08 TV-14

WWE Prime Time 9/10/87, STANDARD WWE 2-13-08 2-19-08 TV-PG

Brian Pillman, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-4-08 TV-14

MNW: WWE Raw 6/9/97, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-4-08 TV-14

NWA Wrestling 3/8/86, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-4-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 1, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 2, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 3, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 4, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 5, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 6, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

Survivor Series: Match 7, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

WWE Survivor Series '07, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 3-11-08 TV-14

WWE TNT 4/2/86, STANDARD WWE 2-20-08 2-26-08 TV-PG

Looks like they're finally splitting the Monday Night War shows into two, which is long overdue. Nice to see a CWF episode for the first time in a while.

You know, I thought the whole wedding theme this month would be stupid but already I forgot how awesome the Billy and Chuck thing was. Eric as the Justice of the Peace and having 3 Minute Warning invade SmackDown was pretty well done.

Also Austin saving Stephanie from the Undertaker was one of the most well done SPORTZ ENTERTAINMENT moments ever. He did the "I don't want to help Vince but I gotta do what's right" role perfectly as he literally came rolling down the ramp nailing anything that moved.

Holy shit, the Paul Vachon wedding from 1984 was 30 minutes of coked out 80s WWF glory. The "reception" was Captain Lou and the Samoans singing a song to the happy couple followed by an extended pie and champagne food fight where everyone (including Vince) laughing like stoned college students.

Clash of the Champions is one of the greatest free tv shows I've ever seen. This is exactly the great example of what 24/7 can air. Something not big enough for dvd, but can't really be aired in any other format.

WCCW has the Freebirds/Von Erich lumberjack match.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone want to explain the Kirshcner v Race match from the Boston show.

Kirschen when not wearing a leathermask stinks and can't even execute the top rope crossbody into pin Race spot. but...

Why was Kirchner getting that much in?

Wasn't Race on his way to face Hogan? Why is Kirchenr getting to look that strong throughout the match?

The post match?

Were they setting up a boot camp match between the two?

What the fuck?

Jesse's insider remarks make the shows 100x better when you get the joke. On the latest Prime Time show they have the debut match for Strike Force, and Vince prods Jesse to admit that Santana and Martel have the potential to be a great team to which Jesse responds "Yeah, just as long as neither one of them quit".

Oh man, the TNT go-home for WM 2 show is up and it features Blassie repeatedly calling Mr. T a house ape.

The Monday Night Wars only offered RAW, with Cole explaining before the show that Nitro was not available this week due to some kind of error that isn't expanded on.

Oh man, the TNT go-home for WM 2 show is up and it features Blassie repeatedly calling Mr. T a house ape.

The Monday Night Wars only offered RAW, with Cole explaining before the show that Nitro was not available this week due to some kind of error that isn't expanded on.

I could make a good list of things said on TNT that would cause a major PR controversy today.

On another note, it gets kind of annoying that whenever any type of editing occurs, someone suggests maybe it has to do with Chris Benoit, and that IMMEDIATELY becomes fact, to the point where Meltzer reports it.

I could make a good list of things said on TNT that would cause a major PR controversy today.

On another note, it gets kind of annoying that whenever any type of editing occurs, someone suggests maybe it has to do with Chris Benoit, and that IMMEDIATELY becomes fact, to the point where Meltzer reports it.

Considering they claimed recording errors when TNT showed replays of the shows the same evening, somebody's kayfabing somebody somewhere. Do you have a better explanation?

Considering they claimed recording errors when TNT showed replays of the shows the same evening, somebody's kayfabing somebody somewhere. Do you have a better explanation?

Recording error doesn't necessarily mean that it was messed up the night it happened. WWE 24/7 has aired Nitros with video glitches before.

Ironically, Meltzer has this in his update today:

--On WWE 24/7 yesterday, when they were to show the Nitro show, Michael Cole said there was a recording problem and couldn't air the episode. It appears the real reason is the main event of Hall & Nash vs. Flair & Piper had lots of outside interference, and Chris Benoit was a major part of it. It appears the "recording problem" was more because all the commentary on the show built toward the main event, and because of Benoit, they couldn't air the main event (thanks to Stephen Gray)

I don't, and it may very well be true in this situation. But people make grand statements about WWE's policy when they have never made a single statement about editing Benoit whatsoever.

I don't, and it may very well be true in this situation. But people make grand statements about WWE's policy when they have never made a single statement about editing Benoit whatsoever.

Well if their intention was to quietly remove any trace of his existence, making a public statement about it would kind of defeat the purpose.

Also, Vince said on the post-murder ECW show that there would not be any further mention of Benoit on WWE programming.