Pro Wrestling Only

WWE 24/7 July-September 2007 Thread

Loss

Guest onlxn

I agree with that.

To me, the biggest issue with the way Cena is booked is the amount of stale shtick they force into his promos, even in "serious" situations. It's dopy, usually poorly written stuff, and it might even contribute to the partial backlash against him. But

A: most WWE workers are thrust into wretched comedy spots too often, like the cringe-inducing DX comebacks

B: the dopiness has never actually sidetracked his overall storylines or character push

Cena isn't the best-booked champion of the last ten or even five years. I think Orton's reign has been better-booked than Cena's were. But Cena was hugely pushed and protected throughout his reigns -- he's still as over, in his polarized way, as ever, and the numbers have been strong. Overall, I can't see calling Cena's push anything less than good.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated April Schedule:

Candido Attacks Cat, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

Film Room: Jack Brisco, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

Helmsley Hog Pen Match, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

History of ECW 3/18/96, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

HOF: Ernie Ladd, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-29-08 TV-14

Iron Sheik Rides Camel, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

Jake Roberts: PYP, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

Koko vs Jimmy Jack Funk, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

Ladd vs Greg Valentine, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

Ladd vs Haystacks Calhoun, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

Ladd vs. Andre the Giant, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

MNW: WCW Nitro 6/30/97, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

MNW: WWE Raw 6/30/97, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

NWA Wrestling 3/29/86, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

The Snake Attacks, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

WCW Wrestle War '90 Pt. 1, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

WCW Wrestle War '90 Pt. 2, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-15-08 TV-14

WCW Wrestle War Preview, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

WWE 24/7 April, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

WWE Hog Pen Preview, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

WWE Jake Roberts Preview, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

WWE Prime Time 9/17/87, STANDARD WWE 4-2-08 4-8-08 TV-PG

WWE Los Angeles 8/13/88, STANDARD WWE 4-9-08 4-22-08 TV-PG

WWE TNT 4/9/86, STANDARD WWE 4-9-08 4-15-08 TV-PG

Al Snow Eats Pepper, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

British Bulldogs, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

Dragon vs Jake the Snake, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

Funk vs Candido, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

History of ECW 3/25/96, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

Jimmy Garvin on the Farm, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

Ladd vs Bob Backlund, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

Ladd vs Gorilla Monsoon, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

Ladd vs Jose Lothario, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

MNW: WCW Nitro 7/7/97, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

MNW: WWE Raw 7/7/97, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

NWA Wrestling 4/5/86, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

World Class 3/19/83, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

WWE IYH: Beware of Dog, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

WWE IYH: Mind Games Pt. 1, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

WWE IYH: Mind Games Pt. 2, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-29-08 TV-14

WWE Prime Time 9/24/87, STANDARD WWE 4-16-08 4-22-08 TV-PG

Royal Rumble: Match 1, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

Royal Rumble: Match 2, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

Royal Rumble: Match 3, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

Royal Rumble: Match 4, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

Royal Rumble: Match 5, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

WWE MSG 10/20/86, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

WWE Royal Rumble '08, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 5-6-08 TV-14

WWE TNT 4/23/86, STANDARD WWE 4-23-08 4-29-08 TV-PG

Ladd vs Lothario? I'm curious where that's from. Florida? Somewhere in the old Texas circuit pre-split from the WCCW library?

I think World Class, Lothario wrestled there all the time, and Ladd appeared there at least as manager of the Wild Samoans.

There's an Old School show up now, 12/11/87 from Houston. Who the hell thought Pete Doherty would make a good color commentator? He sounds like Gilbert Gottfried with a Boston accent.

Oh Jesus Christ what did I do to deserve Pete Dougherty on color? He makes be long for the intelligent, nuanced artistry of David Crockett.

"That DAHG ain't goona fool Da Herc because tha Herc is SMOTT! hah HAAAAH" Sweet christ that guy is GRATING.

on the raw that's up now, vince is putting over the ufc on commentary during ken shamrock's match. as he's chiding the uninformed critics of ufc, he notes that there have been no recorded deaths related to "extreme fighting". he points out that boxing and even professional wrestling can't make that claim. yikes.

• 3 weeks later...

I see people write "MOVEZ" a lot around here....can sometime tell what the z is supposed to represent?

Moves by itself is just that. It is moves inside a professional wrestling ring.

MOOVVEZZ on the other hand is complicated.

First we must dwelve into the history of humankind. There's been a trend over the last while to incorrectly spell words in order to be cool. There is also a trend to type things in caps. This is mostly a youth thing. A lot of other people find it hysterically stupid and look down at the "intelectually inferior people" who resort to this coolness spelling trick. The superior people beat their chest in pride over how much better of a human being they are for knowing how stupid this is.

This has crossed into wrestling. Professional wrestling is full of cool moves which appeal to a lot of people. Well, actually to be honost cool moves appeal to everyone but anyway -- In the mind of people who use the word MOVEZ against others -- these people think the victims of the MOVEZ insult only like wrestling because of cool moves. They are also always incorrect of who they think are great wrestlers because they only judge workers on moves. They don't understand "true storytelling"and "what really makes a wrestler". Henceforth, the people who like MOVEZ are inferior. It is the ultimate insult.

MOVEZ is just not used to insult others though. It is done to justify one's personal favourite wrestler as being superior than another especially if that other wrestler using the all dreaded MOVEZ!! All one has to do in a debate on which wrestler is better now is to say your wrestler has MOVEZ!! and it's game over. If your favourite used a high end manuever like a hip toss than he suxx!! Unfortunately, this MOVEZ thing has gotten out of control and is being abused all over the place. It's come to the point where if a match has MOVEZ than it has no storytelling and it sucks. If the match has no MOVEZ than it is the best storytelling ever with the best wrestlers ever.

• 4 weeks later...

Oddly Fun MSG card up now. Really feels like a B or C level show. No hogan, no savage, no Andre, no real main eventers. But kind of worlds awesomest Heat.

Main evennt is tag team battle royale where if one partner goes out both have to leave.

Rest of show is singles matches from all the different tag teams.

Brian Blair v Brutus Beefcake.-Beefcake really doesn't have the working ability of Austin Idol. On a show with Big John Studd, Beefcake looks like the least worker on the card.

Tama v Moondog Rex.-fun match where Tama brings the bumps and Moondog brings the offense. fun workrate match. Did these two teams feud?

Bundy v Big Machine- I think Big Machine is Superstar and this is well worked.

Dynamite Kid v Anvil Neidhart-I think I liked this more than the Bret v DK match on the DVDVR WWF set.

Jacques Rogeau v Iron sheik-I've watched a bunch of Memphis Jacques Rogeua recently and didn't want to watch more but in fast forward felt like I made a mistake fast forwarding through it.

Mike Rotunda v Jim brunzell-this is face v face and announcers are really putting over how the MSG crowd is a smart crowd who appreciates this kind of thing. I dug it but actual MSG crowd is filled with loud BORING chants.

Davey Boy Smith v Greg Valentine-I think this was my favorite match on show.

Sd Jones v Moondog Spot- Moondog works hard. I was hoping for Moondog Spot v Haku

Haku v Volkoff- Haku works hard but Volkoff isn't Spot.

Bret Hart v. Raymon Rougeau-Less of a WWF match and more a Gran Prix match as such super fun.

For some reason they don't use the Moondogs in the battle royale and instead have Steve Gatorwolf/ Strongbow and SD JOnes is rotunda's tag partner. Battle royale is nothing special but I enjoyed watching haku go around stiffing the fuck out of everyone. Not Low ki in ECWA battle royale as never a focus of the match but, he just walks around the ring pasting people. Actual finish with Islanders v Bundy/Studd is pretty hot as well.

Normally these MSG shows don't do anything for me but this thing is pretty good top to bottom.

Pillman's part of the promo on this weeks RAW is fucking hilarous. He rants about Dusty being a fat ego driven abusive and neglectful father and how much he loves it. Then he says he'll wrestle Goldust in a dress but that isn't all he'll get into of Marlena's. Hell the whole segment is awesome, including the Stone Cold team staredown.

Also next week ECW show will be my all time favorite episode with the Bruiser Brothers/Raven v. Dreamer/Douglas/Sandman clusterfuck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest *FH*

Meltzer mentioned the very noticeable difference between roided up Kennedy and non-roided Kennedy in this week's Observer, so I checked out the Kennedy vs Guerrero match in the Shorties section. God DAMN. Kennedy used to look like Lex Luger. Now I'd say he's about my size, and I'm just under 200.

Everybody make sure to watch Lawler v. Bockwinkle on this weeks update. I don't know why they have MSC footage, but the match is awesome, starts a bit slow, but fuck is main event Lawler a treat to see. This may be a first time match, as we haven't come across it before during our footage search for the Memphis set

Maybe it aired on AWA TV? They were able to air the Lawler/Funk empty arena match a few months back on account of it having aired on Florida TV.

I suspect it may have aired in some form but I can't figure out what context it would have aired in. Lawler came in for some bouts in 1983 to the AWA-proper, so perhaps they aired a video package based on clips of this bout.

I doubt whatever form it aired in was more than clips because full arena matches were pretty rare on AWA TV back then.

Guest DietSoda

I was wondering something after watching the Lawler vs Bockwinkel matchup. Does anyone think Lawler could have been successful in JCP? I mean he probably wouldn't break the glass ceiling with Dusty around as top babyface, but I could easily see him feuding with the four horsemen in the mid 80's.

He could have been, yes, but the most he could have hoped for was a run similar to Bill Dundee's undercard run in 1986-early 1987. Crockett and Dusty had their minds made up on who was going to fill the top spots, and didn't ever seem to drift from it, which is one of the things that eventually did them in.

Guest DietSoda

What if, say, Dusty went nuts and killed his family/himself before that hot period in the mid 80's... do you think Crockett could have been as successful with Lawler in Dustys spot (top babyface feuding with Flair, etc)? I'd say Lawler could talk equally as well as Dusty, and was a better worker. of course, he was much different than Dusty Rhodes, but with the right booking, I think there's a chance it could have had more longevity.

What if, say, Dusty went nuts and killed his family/himself before that hot period in the mid 80's... do you think Crockett could have been as successful with Lawler in Dustys spot (top babyface feuding with Flair, etc)? I'd say Lawler could talk equally as well as Dusty, and was a better worker. of course, he was much different than Dusty Rhodes, but with the right booking, I think there's a chance it could have had more longevity.

Possibly, yes. Any obstacles would have been political, not having anything to do with Lawler's talent.