Pro Wrestling Only

WWE 24/7 July-September 2007 Thread

Loss

I'm wondering how many more times they can cram some form of that awful Stallions/Shadows feud on Primetime.

None thankfully, looking at Graham Cawthon's match listing.

NWA this week has the Ric Flair/Ron Garvin title match I've seen praised in quite a few places. I'd be curious to see some thoughts from those who have seen it. I haven't gotten to it myself on the show yet.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering how many more times they can cram some form of that awful Stallions/Shadows feud on Primetime.

None thankfully, looking at Graham Cawthon's match listing.

NWA this week has the Ric Flair/Ron Garvin title match I've seen praised in quite a few places. I'd be curious to see some thoughts from those who have seen it. I haven't gotten to it myself on the show yet.

Really awesome, INCREDIBLY stiff match with both guys beating the hell out of each other. I think it will be well received. Good match for people to watch who think Flair only had one type of match he could do.

Yeah, that's probably the best Ronnie Garvin match I've ever seen. Just a great match. I really want to know how people could pick the slow WWF style over how hard hitting the WCW shows could be in the mid 80s.

In fairness, I've been as impressed at times with WWF Ron Garvin.

Yeah, that's probably the best Ronnie Garvin match I've ever seen. Just a great match. I really want to know how people could pick the slow WWF style over how hard hitting the WCW shows could be in the mid 80s.

The WWF had some awesome brawls in the early 80s. 85-89 was pretty rough for hard hitting wrestling but it was there at the beginning of the decade

They had it here and there but they loved those fucking 20 minute SD Jones matches and those were always boring as hell. I just don't get the appeal of the WWF style until they had stolen a lot of talent by about 1987. And even when they got guys like a Bob Orton they totally dumbed their moveset and style down.

ARGH!!!

The Philly arena show they added has another fucking Stallions/Shadows match. Fuck this feud. Not a single good match in the lot.

Even worse, it's one of the SAME ones from Prime Time Wrestling. At least the feud went away, but the Stallions push lasted through the Survivor Series.

Tip to wrestling promoters in the future. If you want to put young talent over, you can't just make heels up.

Did people notice 20 years ago how weird Prime Time was with repeating matches and presenting matches and skits that were 2 years-old as new?

Like when they just randomly repeated the Muraco-Fuji standup routine? Or showed the same Outback Jack match two out of three weeks?

Did people notice 20 years ago how weird Prime Time was with repeating matches and presenting matches and skits that were 2 years-old as new?

I think on one of the last Prime Times that aired, they did this with the Blowaway Diet fake commercial with Buddy Rose. I just think they were often pressed for time, so they would just reair something on there and hope nobody noticed. I don't get the feeling Prime Time was very high priority at this point anyway, they cared more about the syndie package because cable wasn't nearly as prominent.

Yeah, Prime Time is one of those things that is looked at completely different in hindsight. Prime Time was like the WWF equivalent of WCW Pro. Superstars and Wrestling Challenge were the main shows. Hell, even All-American Wrestling was probably on a higher level than Prime Time.

I do miss seeing random Boston Garden and MSG house show matches on TV every week, but then 24/7 has reminded me how insufferably dull some of the 20 minute headlockfests between jobbers can be.

What made primetime was the Heenan/Gorilla segments, not the wrestling.

Not that they weren't awesome, but most weeks the competition was a hot Iron Mike Sharpe vs Masked Destroyer #75 match.

Then again, Prime Time was pretty much the only place you'd see someone like Lanny Poffo or Steve Lombardi actually win a match.

What made primetime was the Heenan/Gorilla segments, not the wrestling.

That's the only reason I give it the time of day. Compared to World Championship Wrestling and WCCW it's very outdated, slow and bad action. I wish they'd start doing Superstars so I could actually get some angle development between shows.

They can't, since they lost a lawsuit over the rights to the "SuperStars of Wrestling" name. Notice when you see 80s WWF TV matches on 24/7 the Superstars banner is blurred out.

I've never heard of this. What's the deal?

Also, I think people complaining about the first match or two on old house shows being soul sucking jobber headlockfests are missing the point. Those matches were usually just filler, as the crowd always arrived late.