Pro Wrestling Only

Dory Funk Jr on the Amarillo schedule - help needed

thebrainfollower2

So long story short, does anyone remember the article Dory Funk Jr. wrote years back for the kayfabe memories board going over the weekly schedule for Amarillo?  I need it for research and the KM board has been down for over a month now.  Is it anywhere else, anyone got a copy by any chance?  Thanks a million in advance

I remember JJ Dillon talking about the Amarillo loop in one of his shoots with Cornette.  He describe it as decent pay but a long trip territory but not a hard driving one as most of the trips were basically highway travel.  They compared it to mid south which they considered much worse as while it was just as long it was all back roads which made the trips even more brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I ended up finding the same thing in time to record my episode and read edited highlights from it.  I guess the guys were going like 90mph in the middle of nowhere so it wasn't as brutal as Mid South.  Wondering in the 70's and 80's what territories had the easiest travel?   Florida and Portland maybe?  Montreal in the summer?

3 hours ago, thebrainfollower2 said:

Yes I ended up finding the same thing in time to record my episode and read edited highlights from it.  I guess the guys were going like 90mph in the middle of nowhere so it wasn't as brutal as Mid South.  Wondering in the 70's and 80's what territories had the easiest travel?   Florida and Portland maybe?  Montreal in the summer?

World class in the 1980's ? 

5 hours ago, thebrainfollower2 said:

I'd have to check about Montreal's travel schedule. Pat Laprade and/or Bertrand Hébert are the best suited to answer your question, given they're historians of the Montreal area.

After asking Pat Laprade about it on Twitter, he told me that the Montreal  territory couldn't book a lot of venues during the winter because of hockey so it was mostly a summer territory where they covered Ontario, Quebec and Vermont. As for the easiest schedule & travel, he says that Hawaii and St. Louis were the best.

17 hours ago, SirEdger said:

After asking Pat Laprade about it on Twitter, he told me that the Montreal  territory couldn't book a lot of venues during the winter because of hockey so it was mostly a summer territory where they covered Ontario, Quebec and Vermont. As for the easiest schedule & travel, he says that Hawaii and St. Louis were the best.

Was St. Louis a territory in the traditional sense though ? It was one city and I know there were shows at the Kiel auditorium and the wrestling at the chase TV tapings so it was hardly a huge slog. 

On 10/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, Cornette's racket said:

Was St. Louis a territory in the traditional sense though ? It was one city and I know there were shows at the Kiel auditorium and the wrestling at the chase TV tapings so it was hardly a huge slog. 

I'm going by what he told me. And he knows a lot more than me about that so I trust Pat's knowledge about that. ;)