Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/23 - 12/29 Holiday Season is Here

KawadaSmile

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Punk was never a great athlete or very fluid in the ring. He wasn't even graceful like, say, Shawn Michaels or John Morrison or even Jeff Hardy, who could do acrobatic things like springboards.  And what's funny, as someone else said, is that the same can be said of The Miz.

Now, I do think Punk's striking and submissions put The Miz's offense to shame and Punk is the better in-ring worker and all-around performer - - - but when The Miz is booked right, which is almost always as a chickenshit heel, his lack of great offense doesn't matter because he gets great heat with the Yes Kicks and the clothesline-in-the-corner and playing to the crowd. And, for the past decade, The Miz has proven to be in the 10th percentile as a promo. So, in the end, I think Punk is just not giving respect where its due and, honestly, should feel a little embarrassed. CM Punk toiled and toiled and worked and worked and studied but, in the end, he's not all that much better than The Miz. Meanwhile, on the flip side, The Miz (like Mark Henry) has proven that being a "WWE System Guy" is not the worst thing in the world and isn't something that should be completely dismissed or disrespected.

The tragedy to me is that all of Punk's controversies have subsumed his legacy. He was the John the Baptist to Daniel Bryan's Jesus Christ in terms of opening the door for indy stars to become WWE main eventers. Bryan played the largest role in changing the in-ring style and the talent evaluation process, but that never would have happened without Punk paving the way.