Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - January 1, 2020

Migs

Without paying super close attention to the Cody/Darby match, I enjoyed mostly everything I saw in it. I think Darby probably could have sold the leg a little better from the first figure four. I'm happy Arn is doing something, but I'm not sure how I feel about the "head coach" role.  I love Darby though, the way he flies into things is brave.

I didn't watch the 4-way match after it just started and people were already laying around.

I stopped watching the Moxley match, because why was he having such a competitive match with a guy named "Trent"?

Maybe I was watching this with a new year hangover - happy 2020 everyone! - but I thought this was one of the best Dynamite episodes in a long time. Certainly the best since Full Gear. Baker turning heel is clearly the only road forward for her - same with Page. 

That pop Cody got in his match was insane - unless they fuck it up really badly, Cody-MJF will be awesome. 

Hangman Page poured a glass of Jack at the bar and then sipped a glass of iced tea on commentary. Some of us can tell the difference by sight and I'm not sure what that says. Either way, I actually dug him in a "frustrated middle manager" sense, and I think he'd be far more over if he actually did some cowboy shit instead of just using it for a t-shirt and trying to spam 2006's "indie wrestler starter pack" moveset.

Cody/Darby was awesome and an early MOTYC for me. Dustin/Sammy was insanely fun with the right finish, and Sammy's promo in the crowd leading to Jericho's video promo about the car and then sealing it with Sammy using the cue cards to promo during the PIP commercial break was BEAUTIFUL. That is the kind of shit that makes AEW stand out, far more than any flippity-dippity spotfest could.