Pro Wrestling Only

Mid South Wrestling

Jesse Ewiak

iS65ozu.jpg?1

Mid-South Wrestling

January 12th, 1986

Taped January 11th, 1986 - Shreveport, LA - Irish McNeil Boy's Club

After the famous Mid-South opening, we open to Boyd Pierce and Fritz Von Erich standing in front of the usual announcing desk that you saw Pierce and Bill Watts sitting behind for years.

Pierce: Fans, for the last few weeks, after Thanksgiving, you've likely been wondering why you've been only seeing highlight packages, best of episodes, and other special episodes of Mid-South Wrestling here, on your local television stations. Right now, I've got Fritz Von Erich, who you've likely seen on your television sets, battling forces such as The Freebirds and Devestation Inc. to talk about the future of Mid-South Wrestling, right here on the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

Fritz: Thank you, Boyd. Ya' see, as many of you know, Bill Watts has decided to start promoting in the great Great Plains and Rocky Mountain area of the United States, and I wish him well in that endeavor, and in fact, I even gave him my blessing to run wrestling shows in the Dallas area. However, as we spoke, we quickly realized that due to various rules, regulations, and contracts, that at the moment, the fine Mid-South area wouldn't have live wrestling events, if this happened.

So, after praying on the matter with Bill, I've decided, with his blessing, to come to this area, and help re-open Mid-South Wrestling. I look forward to working with matchmaker Frank Dusek, who has worked in the Mid-South office for quite a while now, as we promote the best wrestling action in the United States to Louisiana and Arkansas!

Pierce: That's right, Mr. Von Erich. Now, I know you have some big news about that, so I think it's best if you tell the folks out there, all about it.

Fritz: Yes, I'm proud to announce that, on January 27th, pro wrestling will return to New Orleans, after a two month layoff, live from the Municipal Auditorium! We'll have plenty of great matches, involving some of the men you'll see on Mid-South Wrestling over the next couple of weeks, along with other big stars that we'll announce once the final contracts are signed.

Pierce:: A couple of big stars we can talk about are the two huge men in today's main event, as Bruiser Brody will take on King Kong Bundy today, in a match that could be at the top of any card in Los Angeles, Houston, or New York, but because we know how much the fans here in the Mid-South area have missed weekly wrestling television, Frank Dusek and the Mid-South wrestling office have decided to have this match today!

Fritz: That's right, Boyd, and that's just part of the awesome action you'll see every week here, right on the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

Pierce: Of course, along with those big stars, I think it's time to bring out two more members of the Mid-South roster that you know very well, Fritz – Mike Von Erich and Lance Vaughan.

Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan come out to the ringside area, joining Boyd & Mike.

Pierce: Now, everybody knows who Mike is, just through his last name, but Lance, would you like to introduce yourself?

Vaughan: Sure, Boyd. Thank you. Well, I'm Lance Vaughan, and officially, I'm a second cousin to Mike here, and honestly, I don't know what that officially makes Mr. Von Erich here to me, according to our bloodlines, but I've also just called him Uncle Fritz, ever since the first time I visited the ranch. Now, I've come to help my cousin Mike out here in the ring, and we thought the best way to do it was out here in front of these fine fans right here in Shreveport!

Mike Von Erich: That's right, Lance. I know there's going to be a lot of tough competition here in Louisiana and Arkansas, but I've been fighting the best ever since I started out here in wrestling, just because I've been targeted because of my name, so I've had to grow up quick, but with my cousin backing me, we're just going to have no quit!

Lance claps Mike on the back, as they head off the ringside area.

Pierce: They sure seem to be a rambunctious duo, Fritz.

Von Erich: Well, they were raised right out in Texas, to be great competitors and fantastic wrestlers, and we're about to see that right now, in the ring.

Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan vs. Fidel Sierra & Cuban Assassin – Assassin and Fidel attempt to gain an advantage through their bruising nature and some underhanded tactics, but Von Erich and Vaughan quickly fight back with Von Erich grit, brawling, and even some technical expertise, and in the end, after a big dropkick from the cousin of the Von Erich's, Mike locks in the Iron Claw on Fidel to get the victory in a little over four minutes.

Winners: Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan – (4:01)

COMMERCIALS, including promos for the return of wrestling to New Orleans

As we come back from commercial, instead of Boyd and Fritz, we hear the sultry voice of Donna Summer as 'Hot Stuff' begins to play over footage of Los Angeles, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills, including footage of a limo pulling up to various famous places, a chauffeur opening the door, and 'HOLLYWOOD' JOHN TATUM coming out of the limousine in a fur coat, with an unseen blonde on his arm, heading into various restaurants, clubs, and shops.

After a couple of minutes of this, the video ends with the message of 'HOLLYWOOD IS COMING TO MID-SOUTH...SOON.'

After that, Boyd and Fritz talk about the video from the 'ever interesting' John Tatum, they throw it to the ring for more in-ring action.

Sam Houston vs. Peter Lowery – Houston dominates, quickly tossing the preliminary wrestler around, before hitting a big lariat, then a bulldog to pick up the pinfall victory, right in the middle of the ring.

Winner: Sam Houston – (2:33)

Houston heads over to the interview area, where he's met by Boyd Pierce.

Pierce: Quite an impressive victory for you, Sam. Now, you were recently the Southwestern champion, but what's your future here in Mid-South Wrestling?

Houston: Well Boyd, the past is the past, but it's best to not dwell on it. Change has come, but I'm still here in Mid-South, whatever the name happens to be, because I believe this is the best place to wrestle, with the best fans anywhere in the world, so whatever comes my way, I'll be ready to hook 'em up!

Houston walks off to the cheers of the crowd, here at the Irish McNeil Boy's Club.

Pierce: We'll be right back here w/ more action on the Mid-South Wrestling Network!

COMMERCIALS, including more hype for the return of wrestling to New Orleans in three weeks!

Before the next match, Boyd Pierce and Fritz Von Erich explain the 'Texas Roundup' match that they announce will be for the Mid-South Television Title. It will be a four way match, but with two important differences – in order to win the match, you must get two pinfalls or submissions in a row, but also, if you are on the losing end twice in a row, you're eliminated from the match.

Adrian Street w/ Miss Linda vs.Joe Lightfoot – 'Texas Roundup' Qualifying Match – Fritz put's over Lightfoot's background as a former World Junior Heavyweight champion, while also talking about Street's unorthodox, but incredibly successful style, combining tough technical wrestling and mind games, which both announcers speak about as Street locks Lightfoot in a variety of holds. The Native American wrestler fight back with chops, forearms, and even a big side suplex, but Street eventually wins back the advantage through an eyepoke, and slaps on the Sleeper to get the submission victory, and is able to become the first competitor to officially qualify for the Texas Roundup match, in New Orleans, to determine the new Mid-South Television Champion.

Winner: Adrian Street (7:02)

Street comes over to the ringside area, with Miss Linda.

“Well, well, it may be a little chilly by the tropical standards of the less cultured denizens of this region, but as always, the action is HOT AND HEAVY whenever between those ropes, and I've shown as always, why my superior wrestling skills will always prevail, whether I'm fighting a cowboy, an Indian chief, or whatever other silly fool decides to oppose me. I'll be honest, and I'll admit I don't quite all the rules of this 'Texas Roundup' match, but I know part of is I've got to defeat the other opponents in this match twice in a row, and I'm all for embarrassing the other lugs in that locker room, by defeating them twice in a row, and walking out of New Orleans on January 27th as the new Mid-South Television champion.”

Adrian Street, interesting as always, but also determined to leave New Orleans a few weeks, fifteen pounds heavier with the Television title around his waist.

COMMERCIALS, including Frank Dusek selling non-profits on the idea of Mid-South Wrestling for their next fundraiser!

Coming back from commercial, Boyd & Fritz talk about the upcoming main event match today, then make the next big announcement – RODDY PIPER is coming to Mid-South Wrestling and he'll be here, live on the Mid-South Wrestling Network next week!

Jim Powers & Paul Roma vs. The Italian Stallion & Dusty Wolfe – Powers & Roma are put over as 'part of the Young Stallions that will make up part of the next great generation of professional wrestlers', as they take on Stallion and Wolfe. A little bit of back 'n' forth action, but Roma and Powers quickly take over with quick tags, including hiptosses, body slams, and dropkicks. They even get a near fall, after hitting a double suplex on Stallion, but Wolfe makes the save before the youngsters can get the pinfall. The Italian Stallion tries to comeback with some cheating, but Roma reverses a whip into the corner, then hits a huge powerslam of his own, to pick up the victory for his team.

Winners: Paul Roma & Jim Powers – (4:15)

Roma and Powers enter the interview area.

“Jim and I can admit we're young, and have a lot to learn, but we also know that we're part of a rising group of young wrestlers, who will be part of this great sport, wrestling for these great fans for years to come, especially right here in Louisiana!”

Jim then takes the mic and says, “that's right, Paul. We'll take on all comers, whether it's youngsters like us, veteran teams, or legends. Whenever it's time to wrestle for those Mid-South tag belts, we hope to be one of the teams getting considered to be in the mix to wrestle for those belts.”

Boyd is thanking the youngsters, when, wait a second – IT'S THE SHEEPHERDERS. Luke Williams and Butch Miller are here, and they're staring down Roma & Powers, before taking the mic from a very willing Boyd Pierce.

Luke says, “You kids want to talk about legends, you want to talk about veterans. We were bleedin' buckets in front of bloodthirsty crowds in cities you've never heard of, in front of folks who wanted to stab us for taking apart their pathetic heroes when you were still watching Mickey Mouse on the TV in your jammies, and you think you can stand a chance against us? HA!”

Butch continues, saying, “Boys, we're the nightmares your mother warned ya' about before she tucked you in, so step aside, or get ready to be just another name added to the list of careers cut short by the most violent tag team in professional wrestling.”

The two teams standoff for a second before a few officials come in and stand between them, and Boyd sends us off to the next set of commercials.

COMMERCIALS, including hype for the return of wrestling to New Orleans!

We come back from commercial again, to another video promo, but this time, it's highlights of Harley Race, set to 'Jump' by Van Halen, including Race holding up the NWA World Heavyweight Title, hitting his superplex, big flying headbutt, and brawling with wrestlers like Terry Funk, Ric Flair, and others.

After the video is finished, Boyd is giddy as he's glad to announce that he can officially say that the main event for the return of wrestling to New Orleans will be none other than Harley Race taking on Kevin Von Erich. Fritz explains that he spoke to Kevin before coming over to Mid-South, and after finishing his current dates, he is happy to come to wrestle in front of the great Mid-South fans. Because of that of his prior commitments of course, Kevin won't be ready to appear until the New Orleans show, but Fritz knows the Mid-South faithful will give him a warm welcome when he makes his debut here in Mid-South.

Lanny Poffo vs. Mike Jackson – Boyd and Fritz both put over Poffo as a young wrestler with a bright future, as after some quick technical exchanges with Jackson, Poffo hits some big armdrags, dropkicks, and even a big backdrop. Jackson hits a big boot on Poffo as he rushes into the corner, and then sends Poffo into the other corner, but Poffo is able to get out of the way of Jackson's charge, and Poffo quickly goes up to the top rope and hits a reverse cross body to pick up the impressive victory!

Winner: Lanny Poffo – (4:25)

COMMERCIALS

Coming back from commercial, we see the awesome presence of BIG JOHN STUDD standing alongside PAUL ELLERING, dressed as always in a three-piece seat.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I know you're all aware of who I am. For those sad individuals who don't know, I am Paul Ellering. I'm a manager of champions, and yes, I know you're wondering about a certain tag team that's been tearing up the ring, all over the world from Tokyo to Timbuktu. We've gone our separate ways, but we have each other's full support, even if we're currently not working together.”

A quick pause as Ellering looks over to his new charge.

“That isn't important, though. What's important is the here and now, and that here and now is the man standing before me – four hundred pounds of pure and utter destruction, who will annihilate any opponent that stands before him, whether it's a strategic technical wrestler, a bloody brawler, or yes, even the scion of a beloved wrestling family.”

Fritz stands up to say something, but Ellering waves him off.

“Sit down, old man. This isn't Dallas, you don't hold the same power here, that you did over there. However, you have made my next point, a little easier to get too. You see, as fantastic and terrible the chaos that Studd will bring to this region of the nation, he isn't the only man under my tutelage. You see, I have a new tag team – a LEGION OF DOOM, and right now, on television, in front of everybody watching, whether it's on a brand new color television set, or what I know is far more likely in this backwater -a broken down black and white set with static – I make this challenge, as there's a new Von Erich and his second cousin or whatever. Come to the ring next week, and face my Legion of Doom. Prove yourselves worthy of a proper burial.”

Ellering walks off, as Fritz is upset, but Pierce tries to calm him down, as he sends things to the ring.

Ken Timbs vs. Dave Mason – As Fritz rants about 'another good for nothing manager getting involved with my family', Boyd does his best to put over Timbs as an impressive technical wrestler, who has wrestled all over the world. Timbs dominates the match with holds, and takedowns, and after only a few minutes, locks in a leglock to pick up the submission victory, but keeps the hold on, until the referee is ready to reverse the match!

Winner: Ken Timbs – (3:39)

COMMERCIALS, including more hype for the return of wrestling to New Orleans

Before the main event, Boyd Pierce informs the television audience that Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan have accepted the challenge to take on Paul Ellering's mysterious Legion of Doom, right here on the Mid-South Wrestling Network, next week!

Bruiser Brody vs. King Kong Bundy – Brody is running straight toward the ring, as the Boy's Club here are cheering, and he's immediately drilling Bundy with rights and lefts, as the crowd even gets louder. Bundy is fighting back of course, but Brody is keeping the advantage – whip into the corner, and Bundy stumbles out – RUNNING BOOT SENDS BUNDY STUMBLNIG OUT OF THE RING THROUGH THE SECOND ROPE!

Brody rolls out, and continues to lay into Bundy, with several kicks and punches. Brody pulls Bundy up – BUNDY HITS HIM WITH A BIG HEADBUTT! Then, Bundy sends Brody into the ringpost, and the big man goes down. King Kong Bundy easily picks up Bruiser Brody and slams him on the cold floor, on the outside of the ring, while the crowd lustily boos the huge balded man. Bundy rolls Brody in, comes off the far rope – BIG ELBOW! ONE! TWO! NO! Bundy thinks he gots the pin, but the Mid-South official is telling him that Brody got the kickout.

Bundy picks Brody up by his long hair, hits a few more kicks, and now he's whipping the Bruiser into the corner – Bundy backs up and rushes in, and hits a huge lariat. Now, King Kong Bundy sends Bruiser into the other corner – ANOTHER LARIAT! Bruiser Brody falls down on his face, and the big man from New Jersey again goes off the corner – LEGDROP! NO! Brody rolled away, and both men are down in the middle of the ring.

Brody slowly gets up, and he pulls up Bundy, and hits a few big forearms, then pushes Bundy up against the ropes – BIG CHOP BY BRODY! ANOTHER ONE! HUGE BODY SLAM BY BRUISER BRODY ON KING KONG BUNDY RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING! Brody comes off the far ropes – NO! BUNDY ROLLS OUT OF THE RING TO ESCAPE THE BIG KNEE DROP! Brody rolls out of the ring, and goes after Bundy, and the two men are brawling again, but again, Bundy gets the advantage back with via nefarious means with an eyepoke, then sending Brody with a whip against the side of the ring.

Now, Bundy rolls Brody back in, as he stomps at the fallen Brody. Bundy yells out to the crowd here at the Irish McNeil Boy's Club, then picks up Bundy, and whip him into the corner. Now, Bundy is going to the other corner – he rushes in – AVALANCHE SPLASH! NO! NO! Bruiser Brody got out of the way at the last possible second. Bundy stumbles out, Brody off the ropes – HUGE RUNNING BOOT! Bundy is out in the middle of the ring – KING KONG KNEE DROP! ONE! TWO! THREE!

Winner: Bruiser Brody – (10:23)

Brody raises his hands to celebrate, as Bundy rolls out – WAIT A SECOND! WAIT A SECOND! SOMEBODY'S IN THE RING, ATTACKING BRODY! OH MY GOD! THAT'S NORD THE BARBARIAN! These two men had a hellacious war all throughout this past summer and fall in this area, and many thought it was done after Starrcade, but it seems that Nord the Barbarian is not finished with Bruiser Brody! We've got Mid-South officials out here, trying to break things up, but we're out of time here on the Mid-South Wrestling Network!

OBSERVER NEWS & NOTES

Spoiler

MID SOUTH WRESTLING

The true story about the re-opening is partly what Fritz was selling on television, and partly something completely different. It is true, that with the recent changes in the territories, it'd be impossible for the Louisiana and Arkansas territory to be covered, by either the Mid-Atlantic or the new Watts NAWA territory.

As a result, with Fritz recently having sold off World Class to Watts and other investors, has invested in the Mid-South wrestling office, but however, most of the territory is actually being held by outside investors, with Fritz only holding something between 25% and 45% of the office.

This means that even though Fritz will have power over the booking, and as you'd expect, the Von Erich boys will get some healthy booking, the head booker has been chosen by the outside investors, and surprisingly, it will be Roddy Piper.

Piper had prior helped book in Portland and of course, had healthy power over what he was doing in Georgia and the WWF, but he was looking to be strongly booked back in Mid-Atlantic before being offered the head booking territory

I really like this format because it's fresh but also keeps the old mid south feel. Good job explaining the changes and I liked that inside scoop at the end. Nice touch.

Mike and cousin Lance have a lot of potential here. Having them open the show with a win over a grizzled pair like Fidel and Cuban Assassin makes them a pretty big deal. 

I always loved vignettes hyping up wrestlers and this one with Tatum was gold. 

Looks like Sam Houston got over with the fans. 

Texas Roundup will be a lot of fun. Adrian Street qualifies with a solid win over Lightfoot. I cant wait to see what Street does in Mid South. 

RODDY PIPER is coming!!!!! Piper is coming off a tremendous Pacific run and I'm sure will continue that here. 

So glad you paired up Roma and Powers. The Young Stallions are ready for all comers and it doesn't take long for the Sheepherders to answer the challenge. 

Talk about a main event! Harley Race vs. Kevin Von Erich will defiantly draw. Wise booking move. 

Lanny Poffo will be another young lion to watch. 

WOW! Aligning Ellering with Studd is genius. It doesn't end there as Ellering is bringing in his Legion of Doom to face Mike and Lance. Cant wait to find out who LOD is. 

I always liked Ken Timbs and it looks like he'll be getting a push here.

Brody vs. Bundy is a main event anywhere in the world and the fans get it for free tonight! This is a fantastic move for your debut show. The match more than delivers and we even get a clean finish as Brody pins Bundy. The excitement continues as Nord jumps Brody to end the show! 

Awesome job! Mid South is off to a great start and will no doubt draw a big crowd in New Orleans. 

Awesome start to Mid-South... you made it almost seem natural that Fritz was in charge.

Like the creativity of how you set up the TV title

Race vs Kevin VE is a great way to get New Orleans to be a huge hot spot in this game.

Tag Team division has some great depth... Roma/Powers, Sheepherders, VonErichs, the NEW Legion of Doom... will be a great read.

Brody, Bundy, Stud and Nord will bring the chaos!

Great format... so simply.

Thanks for joining!  Can't wait for more Mid-South

iS65ozu.jpg?1

Mid-South Wrestling

January 19th, 1986

After the typical famous Mid-South opening, we have a quick welcome from Boyd Pierce, who tells us about today's big main event between Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan taking on Paul Ellering's Legion of Doom, another Texas Roundup qualifier, The Spoiler making his return, and Ron Bass being in action, but then they throw it to a very special video interview from none other than ROWDY RODDY PIPER!

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girl, lend me your ears for just a moment, because ole' Roddy got a few things to say. 'Cause when Fritzy called me on the telephone and told me to come on down to Nawlin's and have myself a good time, I admit I was a wee bit skittish. After all, if I say so myself, I'm a pretty big deal, and if you've been watching the Tee Vee, you may have seen me having some problems in North Cackalackey, and when some problems pop up in Roddy's world – I FIX 'EM.

Fritz is a smart man though, and when he told me some of the talent that was moving over to Mid-South with him, I was intrigued. When he told me that after talking to matchmaker Grizzley Smith and that he could guarantee me a big ole' money making match at the first New Orleans Spectacular of the year, I was impressed! After all, I love to beat people up, but it helps to be paid for the privilege at the end of the night. But, when he said, 'Roddy, I can put you in the ring against an big ole' lumbering goofy ox of a man who no more deserves the name Studd than Rick Moranis, and you may even get a shot to take care of his SOB maanager, Paul Ellering,' well kids, I told Fritz – YOU ARE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE, PAL.

So, everybody watching this channel, know this, Rowdy Roddy Piper is coming to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and the bubblegum package is looking pretty bare, so New Orleans, January 27th, you can be there and come on, do you really want to miss that?”

Piper grins his mischievous grin, and we cut back to Boyd and Fritz. Fritz says, with a chuckle, that Piper may have stretched the truth a bit about the conversation that he had with him, but one thing is true, he will be taking on Big John Studd at the New Orleans Spectacular, in just eight days. Plus, Piper will be making his Mid-South debut today on the Mid South Wrestling Network, against Ken Timbs. After that, Boyd Pierce sends us to the ring for our opening contest, a 'Texas Roundup' qualifier.

1.) Sam Houston vs. Chris Colt – 'Texas Roundup' Qualifying Match – Fritz puts up over Colt's qualifiers as a veteran who has wrestled all over the United States, as there's some early mat wrestling, including hammerlocks, armbars, and headlocks. Colt gets aggressive first, pulling Houston by the hair, then hitting the Texan with an eyepoke, then he hit a big body slam. Colt then went for an elbow drop, but Houston moved out of the way, then hit a big dropkick, an armdrag, then a huge kneedrop to get a near fall of his own. Houston whipped Colt into the corner, but Colt got his knees up, hit a double arm suplex, followed by a lariat, but Houston kicked out. Chris Colt whipped Sam Houston into the corner himself, but then Houston got out of the way – then hit the BULLDOG to pick up the victory!

Winner: Sam Houston (5:13)

Houston came over to the interview and told Boyd that he simply wants to do his best in Mid-South Wrestling, regardless of what he did in this area before when it was World Class, and part of doing his best is winning the Television title at the New Orleans Spectacular, in the Texas Roundup match! Boyd thanks Houston for his time, then throws it to some messages from the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

COMMERCIALS, including more hype for the New Orleans Spectacular

2.) Ron Bass vs. Larry Thomas – Bass makes his return to the Mid-South area, wearing his duster and bring out a cowbell, and absolutely rips through his opponent, tossing Thomas around, hitting a few big slam, some right hands, and ending things with a lariat for the quick pinfall, after making the hook 'em horns sign to the crowd.

Winner: Ron Bass (3:07)

Bass makes his way over to the interview area, with Boyd.

“Boyd Pierce, I'm here because it's an insult that instead of wrestling in the main event at the New Orleans Spectacular, as I deserve as a former champion in this region, I'm being thrown in the battle royal with a bunch of ham 'n' eggers, simply because in the view of management like the matchmaker Frank Dusk, there are bigger stars that should be at the top of the card. Ya' know what I say to that? HOCK PHEWWWY!”

Well, the janitorial staff now has some work to do, with Ron's spit on the floor of the interview area. Boyd takes the mic back, for a moment.

“Well, Mister Bass, I understand your opinion, but Frank Dusek is the matchmaker here, and he's in negotiations with several big stars to be part of the $20,000 battle royal.”

“Twenty thousand dollars is nothin' to me, Boyd Pierce, compared to the main event in New Orleans. Who do we have instead? Fritz's good-for-nothing kid? A kilt-wearing freak? A washed up former World champion? Any of those people want to fight real competition, I'll be waiting for 'em!”

Ron Bass walks off, obviously unhappy about some of the new talent coming into Mid-South.

COMMERCIALS, including more hype for New Orleans.

3.) The Spoiler vs. Jim Oliver – Fritz puts over The Spoiler's career, including the wars he's had with the man back in Texas, as the masked man dominates his opponent. The Spoiler even does his version of the ropewalk chop, before locking on The Iron Claw to pick up the submission victory, incredibly quickly and without much of a problem. Boyd puts The Spoiler over as a top competitor in the region.

Before the commercials, Brickhouse Brown & Ray Candy walk out with Thunderbolt Patterson, to a mixed reception from the crowd, as Brown seems to dressed in 'normal' clothes, as opposed to his more militant gear the last time he was seen in this area of the country.

Boyd goes down to interview the trio.

“Well Brickhouse, you certainly look a little different than the last time you were in this area of the country and from what I've heard, you also have a different attitude.”

“You're right about that, Boyd. What happened was I was feeling good, like I was making a difference. Telling the truth, feeling held down by the man, and doing what I ever felt was necessary to get justice. But, the thing is, when you're a wrestler, you're on the road, going from show to show a lot. You don't get a lot of time to actually go back home. I went home though, over the holidays, expecting to come home a conquering hero, with everybody cheering me and giving me slaps on the back for bringing it to The Man. Ya' know what happened instead, Boyd?”

A slight pause.

“My Mama was ashamed of me. My Grandma refused to talk to me. My little cousins asked why I was being so mean to wrestlers they liked, like The Junkyard Dog. I realized I'd been tricked, bamboozled, and hoodwinked by men who had used my own anger against me, to their own ends. So what I did was I made some phone calls. I called The Dog and apologized. Then, I called up this man - “

He puts his hand on Ray Candy's shoulder.

“ - and apologized to him, because like me, he'd also realized he'd been took in by The Movement. After a few phone calls, some hard talks, we decided to come back here to the Mid-South, to win back the trust of the fans, and get some success on our own terms, instead of depending on gang warfare.”

“So, that explains that Brickhouse, but why is Thunderbolt Patterson with you?”

“I'll let him answer that.”

“Well Boyd, Brickhouse called me and said that he needed some advisement and some backup, when he came back to his part of the country. I've traveled these roads, wrestled all around the country, so I know exactly what he's talking about. I'm not looking for a fight, but I'll be happy to help these men if they run into any trouble.”

The trio walk off, and it looks like both Brickhouse Brown and Ray Candy have a new outlook on life.

COMMERCIALS

4.) Brickhouse Brown & Ray Candy vs. Fidel Sierra & The Cuban Assassin – Sierra and Assassin are on the attack right from the start, but both Brickhouse and Candy are willing and able to fight back, throwing shots right back at the rulebreaking team, including Candy managing to throw Sierra to the outside of the ring. Assassin cheats to get some slight advantage, including locking in a deep armbar on Brown, but Brickhouse fights out of it, getting some cheers of the crowd, eventually hitting a big dropkick, then nailing The Cuban Assassin with a swinging neckbreaker, before tagging in Candy and allowing him to get the victory with a big splash.

Winners: Brickhouse Brown & Ray Candy (5:36)

Brown and Candy are getting their hands raised by the referee, as the crowd cheers – wait a second, some folks are jumping in the ring. THAT'S BLACK BART AND JOEL DEATON! Bart and Deaton are laying the boots to Brickhouse Brown and Ray Candy for seemingly no reason at all, and the fans here at the Irish McNeil Boy's Club are not happy about it. Wait – Thunderbolt Patterson is getting in the ring. He turn Deaton around – BIG SOUPBONE RIGHT HAND KNOCK DEATON BACK! Bart charges him, but Thunderbolt is read and SENDS HIM TO THE OUTSIDE! Brown and Candy are recovering, and Deaton is rolling out of the ring, to join his partner, as they yell at the trio in the ring!

COMMERCIALS

5.) Roddy Piper vs. Ken Timbs – Piper gets a big response from the crowd, as he comes out with the bagpipes, then gets his ready for his opponent. Timbs tries to keep things on the mat at the beginning, but the Rowdy Scot reverses, and fights back with his own brawling style, including a few big right hands, then following things up with a huge scoop slam. As Piper goes to lock Timbs in a front chancery, Timbs kicks him low, and locks Piper in several holds, including a short arm scissors, a hammerlocks, and an armbar, before Piper fights out, but Timbs is able to hit a headscissors takedown, and locks Piper in the hold, using the ropes for leverage, getting boos from the crowd.

Roddy eventually fights to the ropes, even as Timbs attempt to cheat to keep his advantage, and even refuses to break the hold at first. Piper slowly gets up, and Timbs comes over – ONLY TO GET A RIGHT HAND FOR HIS TROUBLE! JAB! JAB! JAB! Piper hooks Timbs in – BIG SUPLEX IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING! ONE! TWO! KICKOUT BY TIMBS! Piper with another big slam, then as Timbs gets up, Piper nails him with a huge bulldog, then Piper grabs him – SLEEPER! SLEEPER!

Timbs is trying to get Piper into the corner, but he's fading fast, and the refereeing is coming over, dropping the arm – ONCE! TWICE! THREE TIMES! PIPER WINS!

Winner: Roddy Piper – (10:09)

After being declared the winner, Piper takes the mic from ring announcer Reeser Bowden.

“Hey, hey, that was a fun little ten minutes, but it's a hot night in the city, and ole' Roddy is JUST GETTING WARMED UP! So, I was thinking and I know every promoter I work for gets worried when I get thinking – heck, sometimes I get worried when I start thinking, but here's the deal. Johnny Boy, I know you're backstage, probably eating a whole ham, the juices drooling on to your ring gear, and getting stuck in your teeth, all while your scumbag manager tells you not to be scared of Roddy Piper, and that I'm all bark and no bite. Well, I promise you Johnny Boy, THAT THIS SCRAPPY DOG BITES DEEP DOWN!

So, Johnny, ignore the guy stealing money from your paycheck weekly and walk out here, so we can get this done before New Orleans!”

The crowd cheers, as Roddy waits for a moment, leaning on the ropes, feigning falling asleep. Eventually, he shrugs, and then says, “I guess the big boy wants to put off his execution for another eight days. Too bad. It doesn't matter though, Johnny Boy, because in Nawlin's, in front of a great crowd like this one, you'll have to come out and take your medicine and RODDY PIPER IS READY TO DUMP IT DOWN YOUR THROAT!”

Piper slams down the mic and walks off to the back to the cheers of the crowd.

COMMERCIALS, including hype for New Orleans.

6.) Paul Roma & Jim Powers vs. Barry Reynolds & Chet Wallace – A complete showcase for Roma and Powers, as Fritz talks about the long dangerous history of The Sheepherders, and that these young wrestlers be ready for quite the education if they get in the ring with the two deadly Kiwi's. After a couple of minutes, Roma and Powers hit their impressive finisher – where Powers holds the opponent up in a suplex, and Roma hits a second rope dropkick to pick up the victory!

Winner: Paul Roma & Jim Powers – (3:51)

Roma and Powers come over to the interview area and explain they're not sure why The Sheepherders are so upset with them, but they came to the Mid-South promotion to compete, so they're ready to compete against anybody who signs a contract to face off with them.

COMMERCIALS

Before the main event for today's television program, Fritz Von Erich says he talked to Bruiser Brody and matchmaker Frank Dusek, and that he can make the official announcement of another huge match for the New Orleans Spectacular – Bruiser Brody vs. Nord the Barbarian!

7.) Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan vs. The Legion of Doom – Mike Von Erich and Lance Vaughan are coming down to the ring, slapping hands with the ringside fans as they cheer – HOLD ON! TWO MEN HAVVE JUMPED VON ERICH AND VAUGHAN OUTSIDE OF THE RING!

200px-David_Sheldon.jpg01.jpg

This must be Ellering's Legion of Doom, and they're absolutely laying the boots into both these young men on the outside of the ring. Ooh, the big blonde guy just tossed Mike Von Erich like he was nothing down the aisle, and now they're rolling Lance Vaughan in, as Ellering stomps on Mike Von Erich as he comes to join his duo in the ring. The big bald headed guy grabs Vaughan – PRESS SLAM!

Mike Von Erich is crawling, and now barely getting in the ring, attempting to save his cousin, and now this duo is laying the boots into them. Now, no, no, no. They're going to spike piledrive Mike Von Erich – this could end his career and severely injured him!

WAIT! THE CROWD IS ON THEIR FEET!

a0d500110b914056353b777213011d4def326957

IT'S KEVIN VON ERICH! KEVIN VON ERICH IS HERE TO SAVE HIS FAMILY! RIGHT HAND FOR THE BALD GUY! RIGHT HAND FOR THE BLONDE GUY! ELLERING ROLLS OUT OF THE RING! ANOTHER RIGHT HAND KNOCKS THE BALD GUY OUT OF THE RING! THE BLONDE GUY STUMBLES UP – DISCUS LARIAT KNOCKS HIM TO THE OUTSIDE!

Kevin Von Erich is here in Mid-South, and he's just saved his brother from being spike piledriven by this Legion of Doom!

NEW ORLEANS SPECTACULAR

Lakefront Arena

KEVIN VON ERICH vs. HARLEY RACE

ROWDY RODDY PIPER vs. BIG JOHN STUDD w/ Paul Ellering

BRUISER BRODY vs. NORD THE BARBARIAN

10 MAN BATTLE ROYAL FOR $20,000

Involving King Kong Bundy, The Spoiler, Ron Bass, and more competitors yet to be announced! 

I just love your writing style. You certainly know how to write promos for someone like Hot Rod. You're probably the best one so far. 

As for the show itself, business picks up now that Kevin Von Erich has arrived to save lil' brother Mike and "cousin Lance". Very much looking forward to New Orleans Spectacular as that card is getting stacked. My money's on Bundy to win the battle royal!

WOW!  I hope you had half as much fun writing that show as I did reading it!

Your interviews were spectacular... Piper, Bass were show stopping and Birckhouse did an excellent job of explaining his babyface turn!

Really like the team of Deaton and Black Bart!  Gives Bass some freedom to go out and cause some havoc.  Was surprised at the New Legion of Doom but they did some work until Kevin comes in a saves the day!

The New Orleans Spectacular is Must See!

I agree, the promos were outstanding! Especially Piper. I was totally reading it in Piper's voice. Well done.

I liked how you had Timbs look good last week. It made Piper's win more meaningful. 

Great job getting your roster over. Houston, Bass and Spoiler have good showcases. 

Like the new outlook Brown and Candy have. Adding Thunderbolt to the mix is a plus. 

Bart and Deaton will be a hard hitting team and their program with Brown and Candy should be a wild one. 

Roma and Powers continue to shine but they will have their hands full with those crazy Sheepherders. 

Really good job hyping the upcoming New Orleans card. There's already 3 main event match ups and a huge battle royal. 

Loved the ending. The new Legion of Doom attacks Lance and Mike but Kevin returns to save the day! I know the fans blew the roof off the place.

I really enjoyed the show and you're off to a fantastic start. Cant wait for the New Orleans card. 

iS65ozu.jpg?1

Mid-South Wrestling

January 26th, 1986

After the typical famous Mid-South opening, we go right to Boyd Pierce & Fritz Von Erich at ringside. 

Boyd Pierce: Welcome to another edition of Mid-South Wrestling, here on the Mid-South Wrestling Network. We have a great set of matches here, courtesey of the matchmakers here at Mid-South Wrestling, including Kevin Von Erich taking on Ron Bass in the main event, the last two qualifiers for 'Texas Roundup' match tomorrow in New Orleans, and Harley Race will be in action. Before of all that, we have some exciting news about more competitors that will be in the $20,000 Battle Royal. Let's go to the video tape.

Cut to a VTR where we see Stan Hansen & Jimmy Snuka both standing outside an arena, likely in Japan, with Hansen wearing his trademark ten gallon hat, while Snuka is pacing around a bit.

“When the Mid-South promoters called me up, and said, not only would I have a chance to win twenty thousand big ones, that I could send back to my wife and kids back in Texas, but I'd also get to throw a slug like King Kong Bundy out of the ring, or a guy that's all hat, but no cattle like Ron Bass out, I happily told 'em I'd be on the next plane over, ready to remind everybody that no matter how tough ya' are, all it takes is one lariat for you to end up, out of the ring, just like everybody else!”

Hansen throws up the horns, then Snuka looks at the camera.

“Fans all over the world, I love you all, and I'm coming to New Orleans to win the big money. Thank you, and I love you!”

As we come back from the video, Boyd Pierce also announces that Mr. Wrestling II has been signed by Mid-South officials, and oh boy, KING KONG BUNDY is out here, and he does not look happy about the situation.

“What's happening here is that the Mid-South officials are scared that a monster like me, is going to ruin their little pretty boy Von Erich's, run over that skirt wearing freak, or even put Race in that retirement home where he belongs, so they're trying to stack the deck against me in the battle royal, flying in people all over the world, just because they know nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody will stop me from winning that twenty grand in the battle royal, then taking my rightful spot at the top of Mid-South Wrestling. So, go ahead, bring in the legends. Bring in the tough cowboys. Bring in the hard headed Samoan's. I'll toss 'em all!”

Bundy walks off, still a very unhappy, but still confident competitor as Boyd throws it to these messages from the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

COMMERCIALS, including hype for the first set of post-New Orleans house shows.

Coming back from commercial, it's the same type of video we saw of HOLLYWOOD JOHN TATUM, visiting various high end shops, being driven around in a limo, being at fancy restaurants, all without a blonde whose face we still don't see, but this time, it's obviously in the 'Big D' of Dallas, as opposed to Hollywood.

At the end though, the same message – 'HOLLYWOOD JOHN TATUM – COMING SOON!' - comes up on the screen, and when we come back from the video, Boyd Pierce announces that Hollywood John Tatum, along with his companion, will be making their debut in New Orleans!

1.) The Sheepherders vs. Mike Bond & Tommy Crown – Luke and Butch immediately go on the attack, pounding their opponents with clubbering forearms, punches, kicks, quickly tossing Tommy Crown out of the ring, then tossing Bond into the ropes and nailing him with a double clothesline. Butch slows it down, slapping on a chinlock for a moment, only then drive Bond down to the mat, grinding his face into the canvas, before tagging in Luke Williams. Bond tries to get some offense on Williams, but the Sheepherder reverses an Irish Whip, hits a big shoulderblock, then both Sheepherders come in and hit a Battering Ram to finish off their opponents.

Winner: The Sheepherders (3:39)

The Sheepherders continue their beatdown, and Tommy Crown comes in to make the save, but he also gets beatdown, and they're about to toss both men to the outside again, when PAUL ROMA & JIM POWERS make their way out from the locker room, which is the signal for The Sheepherders to get out of town, at least for now. Pierce and Fritz put over their big tag match at New Orleans, before throwing it to more messages from the Mid-South Wrestling Network. 

COMMERCIALS, including hype for last minute tickets for the New Orleans Show.

2.) Brickhouse Brown vs. Eric Embry – 'Texas Roundup' Qualifying Match

Fritz Von Erich puts over Embry's background, saying that he's a talented wrestler, even though they obviously have different values on how a pro wrestler should act in the ring. Brickhouse is getting mostly cheers from the crowd, and Embry helps him out by drilling him with a cheap shot the moment he's stepping through the ropes. Once Brickhouse is down, Embry locks on a headlock, then as Brown fights out, the flamboyant blonde locks on a hammerlock, followed up by a half crab, right in the middle of the ring.

Brickhouse powers out, then goes on the offense, hitting Embry with forearms, then a big slam, followed up by a big clothesline, to get a near fall. Then, he went for a suplex, but Embry went low, then hit a knee, and a dropkick, then got more boos from the Shreveport crowd, by raising his hands, then stomping the hell out of Brickhouse in the corner, until the referee pushed him out of the way. Embry then brought a reeling Brown into the middle of the ring, then hit a big neckbreaker, and went to the second rope for a kneedrop – NO! BRICKHOUSE MOVED!

Embry and Brickhouse are slowly getting up, and Embry is charging Brickhouse was in the corner, but Brown got his knees up. Embry is stumbling out, and the the newly changed Brickhouse Brown absolutely drills him with a huge lariat, to a raucous response from the crowd. The crowds tenor is quickly changing though – JOEL DEATON is coming down to ringside. He's getting up on the ring apron, and the referee is trying to get him away, all while Brickhouse Brown is also yelling at Deaton.

Wait a second – BLACK BART is sneaking in the other side of the ring, and getting rid of the turnbuckle on the far corner. Eric Embry is noticing it, and making his way over to the corner. Brown turns around, as Deaton jumps off the apron, and charges at Embry is in the corner – EMBRY WAS PLAYING POSSUM! BROWN DRILLED HIS HEAD ON THE EXPOSED TURNBUCKLE! EMBRY ROLLS BROWN UP – ONE! TWO! THREE!

Winner: Eric Embry – (9:12)

Embry quickly slips out of the ring, and celebrates, all while the Shreveport crowd is giving him the business. Now, he's walking over to the interview area.

“Mister Embry, you can not actually think you deserve to be in the Texas Roundup for the Television title, after all that just happened in that ring?”

“Boyd Pierce, I didn't do a thing wrong, right here in that ring. I saw an opportunity, and I took advantage of it. It's not my fault that Brickhouse Brown is such a dummy that he fell for my trick, and knocked his head on the turnbuckle. All I know is I'm the winner of the match, and tomorrow night, right in New Orleans, I'm going to win the Television Title!”

Embry walks off, very pleased with himself, then Boyd Pierce throws it to more messages from the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

COMMERCIALS, including hype for the first loop of house shows after New Orleans, including local promos from Kevin Von Erich, the Legion of Doom, and Adrian Street.

Coming back from commercial, BLACK BART and JOEL DEATON are in the interview area, as the crowd continues to boo them. Black Bart has the microphone.

“Boy oh boy, looks like we got a bunch of crybaby Louisiana dirt farmers upset that their 'boy' Brickhouse Brown is so dumb, that he fell for the easiest trick in the book. Of course, just like this god forsaken state is full or morons and doofuses, it's not a shocker that Brickhouse is from Mississippi, another state filled with retarded individuals, as opposed to where my partner and I are from – the greatest state in this country – heck, the greatest place in the world – TEXAS!”

Joel Deaton then takes the mic.

“That's right, Bart and I, unlike those fake fancy Von Erich boys are true Texans, who were raised in the dirt and grime of Texas, as opposed to being born with a silver spoon in our mouth, so you're going to see what happens when some real Texan's get in the ring!”

Both men head over to the ring, ready for their match.

3.) Black Bart & Joel Deaton vs. Dusty Wolfe & The Italian Stallion – Both Texans go right to work on Wolfe, taking him into the corner, and attacking him with ferocity, hitting with punches, kicks, and even a big headbutt from Bart, that sends Wolfe into the corner. Once in the corner, the two men set upon him like ravenous hyenas, taking him apart until the referee can push them both aside. This allows Wolfe to tag in The Italian Stallion, who actually gets a big hiptoss and an armdrag in on Deaton, but when Stallion goes for a whip into the ropes, Deaton reverses it and hits a big ole' powerslam for what looked like a pinfall, until Deaton pulled him up, too boos from the crowd. Deaton then picked Stallion up, and hit a huge delayed vertical suplex before tagging in Black Bart, who waited for Stallion to get up, who then gets nailed by a big lariat for the easy pinfall.

Winners: Black Bart & Joel Deaton – (4:13)

As the ring announcers officially give Bart and Deaton the win, Brickhouse Brown, Ray Candy, and Thunderbolt Patterson come out to the ringside area, getting the mic from the ring announcer. Brown takes the mic.

“Hey, hey, hey. You two sucka's better listen up for a second. Ray and I didn't come here to Mid-South, to get screwed over by two tobacco spittin' lowlifes, when we're just trying to redeem ourselves for past sins. What I'm going to say is this – if you two show up to New Orleans, there's going to be a fight. Now, you got a choice – it can either be in the parking lot, or in the ring!”

The crowd cheers that implication, while Bart & Deaton simply point and yell at the three men on the outside of the ring, basically agreeing to the match. Boyd Pierce throws it to more messages from the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

COMMERCIALS, including a final push for the big New Orleans show.

Coming back from commercials, Fritz announces that Mid-South matchmakers have officially made the match for tomorrow night in New Orleans – Brickhouse Brown & Ray Candy vs. Black Bart & Joel Deaton. Then, Boyd throws it to the ring for the final 'Texas Roundup' qualifier.

4.) Al Madril vs. Lanny Poffo – 'Texas Roundup' Qualifying Match

Some quick hammerlocks, takedowns, armdrags, and a big dropkick to start off from Lanny Poffo. Now, he heads to the second rope, and lands a big elbowdrop from the second rope, to get an early near fall. Poffo pulls Madril up, but the rulebreaker pokes Poffo in the eye, nails him in the mush, then hits a quick suplex in the middle of the ring, to get a nearfall of his own. Then, Madril locks in a deep armbar, right in the middle of the ring, as the crowd boos Madril, who has aggrieved fans in this area for the past few months, even though his backup is now out of the territory.

Poffo is slowly doing his best to get to the ropes, but Madril pulls him back in the middle of the ring, and locks it on even tighter. The fans finally begin to clap and pound their feet, as Poffo barely manages to get his feet right under the ropes, which allows the referee to step in and have Al Madril break the hold. The former host of the 'Fiesta Garden' takes a moment, but then gets up – and starts to stomp away at Poffo, to more booing from the crowd here in Shreveport!

As Poffo slowly gets up to his feet, Madril slips in from behind and locks him in a waistlock, but Poffo grabs on the ropes again! Madril drags him to the middle of the ring, and goes to hurk him up into a suplex, but Poffo is blocking it – elbow, another elbow by Poffo breaks it, Madril a little out of it now he goes off the far ropes – big cross body block by Poffo! ONE! TWO! MADRIL KICKS OUT! Poffo waits for Madril to get up – he rushes Madril – CRUCIFIX! ONE! TWO! ANOTHER KICK OUT!

Both men are getting up – MADRIL NAILED POFFO BELOW THE BELT WITH A KNEE! Now, Madril is going to lock in the ABDOMINAL STRETCH, and as the referee goes to check in on Poffo, he's grabbing the rope, as the crowd boos once again. Poffo is trying to fight out – but Madril puts his hand on the ropes once again. Poffo is adjusting his body, trying to get out of Madril's hold once again – Madril goes to grab the rope, but the referee caught Madril. The referee is admonishing Madril – POFFO HIPTOSSES MADRIL OUT OF THE HOLD! Now, Poffo is going up to the second rope – BODYBLOCK FROM THE SECOND ROPE! ONE! TWO! THREE! POFFO WINS!

Winner: Lanny Poffo – (9:43)

The crowd cheers, as Poffo celebrates, while Madril is immediately yelling at the referee. After the referee points to the ropes, Madril yells something, then rolls to the outside, to the interview area.

“Boyd Pierce, this is a disgrace. I thought when Bill Watts left this territory, that I'd be treated with respect, as a former champion should. Instead, they tell me the 'Fiesta Garden' is canceled, Hercules got traded to another territory, and now, you just saw – the referee just screwed me out of the shot in the Texas Roundup! I demand an immediate investigation into this referee, and in fact, I think I saw the referee and Lanny Poffo leaving the same car this morning!”

“Well, that's certainly one opinion, Mr. Madril. The truth is, the referee's decision is final, and Lanny Poffo will be moving on to the Texas Roundup match tomorrow night.”

Madril just sighs, and looks up to the roof.

“You're still useless, Boyd. Absolutely useless.”

Madril then walks off, as Boyd Pierce throws it to more messages from the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

COMMERCIALS, including more hype for the New Orleans show – tickets are available.

We come back from commercial, with PAUL ELLERING and BIG JOHN STUDD.

“It has come to my attention, that Roddy Piper, that motor-mouthed weirdo, was implying that either my client, Big John Studd, or myself, were somehow cowards because we did not listen to his blathering call to have our match last week, that we're now cowards.”

Slight pause, as Studd laughs.

“Here's the truth of the matter – it may not look like it too the uneducated hillbillies and sharecroppers that watch this television product, but both Mister Studd and I are intelligent men. We signed a contract to have a match tomorrow night in New Orleans, and not only are we not guaranteed a large amount of money for showing up, but the winner's purse is quite enticing. On the other hand, if my client was to walk out in front of these fans, and crush Roddy Piper's bones to dust like he easily could, not only would my client not receive any monetary compensation for doing so, we would lose out on not only the guaranteed envelope of cash we'll receive tomorrow night in New Orleans but the purse that will also be handed over to the winner of the contest. Which of course, will be Big John Studd – the four hundred pound beast. ”

Another pause, as the fans boo.

“Mister Studd hired me specifically to appeal to his more civilized instincts, because believe me, a dented locker and a broken clothes hanger can attest to how much my client wanted to come out in front of these ingrates and squeeze Roddy Piper like a grape, but I had to remind him – we do not cause violence for free. There's a price that must be paid, and tomorrow night, in New Orleans, we'll get everything we deserve.”

More boos from the crowd.

“Then, after that, it'll be time to move on to whomever is next in line, whether it's one of the men brought in for the battle royal, the grizzled old former champion, or the puffed up son of your broadcasting colleague, Boyd Pierce. Because the Legion of Doom never rests.”

Ellering and Studd walk off to more boos, while Fritz notes that better men than Studd or Ellering have tried to take out his sons. Boyd then throws it to the ring.

5.) Harley Race vs. Mike Jackson – Some very early mat wrestling between Jackson and Race, but the multiple-time former NWA Champion quickly takes control, nails Jackson with a series of right hands, hits a big back bodydrop, follows it up with a slam and a falling headbutt. Then, he grab Jackson, and right in the middle of the ring, hits the delayed vertical suplex on Jackson for the easy pinfall, and the cheers of the crowd.

Winner: Harley Race (3:39)

Race comes over to the interview area.

“The truth is, Boyd Pierce, I came here to the Mid-South, because I looked all over God's green earth, and I decided, the best competition, and the best fans in the world in the United States, was right here. Whether it's New Orleans, Shreveport, or Little Rock, some of the most exciting matches of my career have been here, so before this old dog goes off to pasture, I think it's time for me to dig up a few more bones.”

“So, do you have any worries about facing a much younger competitor like Kevin Von Erich?”

“I've been wrestling the Von Erich Boys seemingly since it was too early for some of them to be in the ring. Eh, Fritz? So, I'm not worried about Kevin – he'll fight me strong, he'll get his licks in, but he'll also fight me clean, and it's my belief there is no man on this planet, who straight up, can beat me in the middle ring, and that hasn't changed just because there's a few grey hairs in my beard, Pierce.”

“Well, thank you for your time and good luck - “

“Oh Boyd, since Kevin is wrestling next, I let the Mid-South officials know I'd like to be on the broadcast team for that match, and they happily agreed.”

Boyd throws it to the final commercial, from the Mid-South Wrestling Network.

COMMERCIALS, including more hype for the first set of house shows, including local promos from Adrian Street, The Sheepherders, and Paul Roma & Jim Powers

6.) Kevin Von Erich vs. Ron Bass

As soon as the bell rings, Von Erich and Bass are right on each other, throwing punches, forearms, and kicks, with Von Erich gaining the early advantage. Kevin Von Erich backs Bass right into the corner, hitting several big kicks in the corner, before whipping Bass into the other corner, but the big cowboy reverses it, sending Von Erich into the other corner. Now, Bass is coming out of the corner – running knee in the corner, and now Bass is pounding Von Erich with forearms. Ron Bass has Von Erich in the middle of the ring – big body slam – KNEE DROP BY BASS!

Bass is playing to the booing crowd, as Von Erich is getting up. The big cowboy comes over and is now pushing Von Erich into the corner, and hits Kevin with several big knees in the corner, throws the 'hook em horns' to the Shreveport crowd, then drills Kevin Von Erich with a boot. Von Erich is stumbling a bit – Bass comes off the ropes, and goes for a bulldog, but Von Erich throws him off! Kevin Von Erich is fighting back, with punches and kicks of his own. He now tosses Bass in the ropes, and hits a big hiptoss. Another one! Another one! Now a dropkick sends Bass to the outside through the ropes!

The crowd is cheering, as Bass paces on the outside of the ring, before sliding back in – now, the brawl is on again. Bass pokes Von Erich in the eye, drawing more boos, and now the Outlaw grabs Von Erich in a front chancery, pulls him up – BIG INVERTED SUPLEX SLAM ON VON ERICH! ONE! TWO! KICKOUT BY VON ERICH! Ron Bass is upset at the referee, but turns around – and eats a big right hand by Von Erich. Another one! Another one! Bass is stumbling, Von Erich rushes – big lariat has both men spilling to the outside!

On the outside, Bass is slowly getting up, and rushes at Von Erich! NO! BASS ATE THE RINGPOST! To the cheers of the crowd – SUPLEX BY KEVIN VON ERICH ON THE FLOOR OF THE ARENA! Von Erich rolls Bass in, and climbs up to the top rope – FLYING CROSS BODY BY KEVIN! ONE! TWO! THREE!

Winner: Kevin Von Erich – (10:19)

Von Erich is getting his hand raised by the referee – WAIT A SECOND!

200px-David_Sheldon.jpg01.jpg

IT'S THE LEGION OF DOOM!

Both of these men are attacking Kevin Von Erich, and there's not much he can do, in this numbers game. They have Von Erich – BIG DOUBLE CHOKE SLAM!

LANCE AND MIKE! LANCE AND MIKE!

Lance Vaughan and Mike Von Erich are rushing to the ring, but the Legion of Doom are ready for them, and are laying the boots to them the moment they get in the ring. A more experienced pair of wrestlers would know, but they were so bound up with adrenaline and the need to fight their brother, they walked right into getting beat up by this Legion of Doom.

WAIT! WAIT! HARLEY RACE IS ARGUING WITH BOYD PIERCE! HE'S TAKING OFF HIS MICROPHONE AND HEADING OVER TO THE RING! HE SLIDES IN!

RIGHT HAND TO THE BALD HEADED LOD MEMBER!

RIGHT HAND TO THE BLOND HAIRED LOD MEMBER!

HE'S GOT ELLERING BY THE LAPELS AND TOSSES HIM TO THE GROUND!

Ellering is calling his charges back, not wanting to get further involved.

Race is helping Kevin Von Erich up, but wait, Von Erich pushes his opponent tomorrow night away. Kevin was already out of it, by time Race made the save. Lance and Mike are coming over to explain. There's a tense moment – HANDSHAKE!

Boyd Pierce goes over the full New Orleans card, applauds the sportsmanship being put forth by both competitors in the main event, and ends the show.

NEW ORLEANS SPECTACULAR

Lakefront Arena

January 27th, 1986

KEVIN VON ERICH vs. HARLEY RACE

ROWDY RODDY PIPER vs. BIG JOHN STUDD w/ Paul Ellering

BRUISER BRODY vs. NORD THE BARBARIAN

10 MAN BATTLE ROYAL FOR $20,000

Involving King Kong Bundy, Mr. Wrestling II, Stan Hansen, Jimmy Snuka, The Spoiler, Ron Bass, and more competitors yet to be announced! 

MIKE VON ERICH & LANCE VAUGHAN vs. THE LEGION OF DOOM w/ Paul Ellering

TEXAS ROUNDUP FOR THE MID-SOUTH TELEVISION TITLE

ADRIAN STREET w/ Miss Linda vs. ERIC EMBRY vs. LANNY POFFO vs. SAM HOUSTON

THE REDEEMERS (Brickhouse Brown & Ray Candy) vs. BLACK BART & JOEL DEATON

PAUL ROMA & JIM POWERS vs. THE SHEEPHERDERS

'HOLLYWOOD' JOHN TATUM DEBUTS!

WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWS & NOTES, INCLUDING NEW ORLEANS SPOILERS

Spoiler

- Mid-South's return to New Orleans drew a healthy 7,500 paid, as they really loaded up the show, and had some strong TV to get folks interested in again after a month of re-runs thanks to the quasi-collapse of the AWA in the past couple of months. Here are the results, as I received them:

Hollywood John Tatum (w/ Sunshine, who to nobodies surprise, was the mystery blonde with Tatum) d. Mike Jackson in 5:00 with a superkick.

The Sheepherders defeated Paul Roma & Jim Powers after one of the Sheepherders blasted Powers with the New Zealand flag in around 10:00

Brickhouse Brown & Ray Candy defeated Black Bart & Joel Deaton in about 9:00 when Brown pinned Bart after a big splash by Candy.

In the Texas Roundup match, Sam Houston won the title. After putting over the gimmick with several quick pins of each other, Eric Embry & Adrian Street teamed up to take Lanny Poffo out of the match with two straight falls,. After that, despite both heels being against him, Houston managed to hit Embry with a bulldog, then as Street rushed in, catch him with a small package to claim the TV Title. According to reports, the whole deal took about twenty minutes, and fans were slightly confused, but Houston still got cheered.

The Legion of Doom (still unnamed according to reports) defeated Mike Von Erich & Lance Vaughan in about seven minutes when the person that's believed to be Jeff Gaylord pinned Vaughan after a powerslam. Said to be a sluggish, oddly paced match.

In the battle royal, it pretty quickly got down to Snuka, Hansen, and Bundy, and in the end, Hansen picked up the victory when Bundy & Snuka eliminated each other, and continued to brawl.

Nord the Barbarian pinned Bruiser Brody in about twelve minutes after Killer Khan interfered, nailing Brody with a knee drop of his own, allowing Nord to pick up the victory.

In the semi-main event, according to reports, after the referee had been knocked down, Paul Ellering got involved, which allowed Studd to lock in a bear hug. However, Piper managed to grab the ring bell that had been placed on the ring apron during an earlier fracas, and drill Studd with it – but the referee saw that, and gave Studd the win via DQ in about 18 minutes.

In the main event, Kevin Von Erich and Harley Race went to a 30-minute draw. Shockingly, no heel turn from Race, and the match was described to me as 'good to great.'

- Mid-South's welcoming any World Title into the territory in something of a shoot, as at the moment, Piper, Fritz, and the money men agree that there's no point to getting too connected to any of the other remaining mega-territories.

- Expect the first big Superdome show to be in April, and it to focus on a big North American tournament, hopefully with outside involvement.

- House show lineups being hyped include Nord & Khan vs. Von Erich & Brody, Race vs. Wrestling II in a 'technical exhibition', and six-mans involving Piper, Von Erich, and Vaugan vs. The Legion of Doom.

Certainly interesting that you opted for a babyface (or at least neutral) Harley Race here. But I think it makes for a great dynamic that sets him apart from the rest of your roster, with Harley choosing the time and honored tradition of doing things the right way.

Good job hyping up the big New Orleans card.

Sheepherders look vicious. Roma and Powers are getting a good shine with this program. 

Loved the Embry/Brown match and ending. Great way to put more heat on Brown and Candy's feud with Bart and Deaton. 

Poffo gets a big TV win over Madril. LOL, Madril cracked me up with his post match comments. 

Race saves Kevin! One thing about Race is he's all about respect. 

Very creative way to report the New Orleans results. I liked the comments on the matches. 

The new LOD is looking strong. 

Tatum and Sunshine's gimmick will get some good heat here. 

Houston wins the TV title but he's got a lot of challengers waiting. 

Hansen comes to town and wins the high stakes battle royal! Looks like Snuka and Bundy are heading into a program. 

Piper gets out of a jam and nails Studd with the bell. This keeps both men strong. 

Race and Kevin battle to a respectable draw. 

The card delivered! It got wrestlers over and started up some good storylines. Well done. 

Awesome show! 

Again, your promos get me hooked right away.  Hansen and Snuka in Japan was great was fun.

Sheepherders seem right at home here!

I like Embry as a heel!  Another great talker.

Bart and Deaton vs Candy, Brickhouse and Patterson is going to be a fun midcard feud!

Studd-Piper... could listen to Ellering and Piper all day!

Nice draw for Kevin V.

Thought the hidden card was a nice surprise

House Show Results 

Alexandria, LA - January 31st
Jimmy Snuka d. Ken Timbs - (5:55)
Black Bart & Joel Deaton d. Ted Allen & Joe Lightfoot - (6:09) 
John Tatum d. Lanny Poffo via superkick - (8:55)
The Legion of Doom d. Jim Powers & Paul Roma after Ellering distracted Powers, allowing the Angel of Death to hit Powers with a powerslam - (8:22) 
Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody defeated Killer Khan & Nord the Barbarian by DQ when Nord hit Brody with a chair - (13:01)
Mr. Wrestling II pinned Ron Bass after the kneelift - (10:51)
Roddy Piper fought Big John Studd to a double count out - (15:43)
Harley Race pinned The Spoiler with a piledriver - (12:39)

Lafayette, LA - February 1st
Jimmy Snuka d. Ken Timbs - (6:03)
Black Bart & Joel Deaton d. Lanny Poffo & Joe Lightfoot - (6:09) 
John Tatum d. Ted Allen via superkick - (8:32)
The Legion of Doom d. Jim Powers & Paul Roma after Ellering distracted Powers, allowing the Angel of Destruction with a choke slam - (7:46) 
Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody fought Killer Khan & Nord the Barbarian to a double countout - (14:41)
Mr. Wrestling II pinned The Spoiler after the kneelift - (11:35)
Roddy Piper defeated Big John Studd by DQ when The Legion of Doom ran in after Piper got the sleeper on Studd - Jimmy Snuka, Powers, and Roma made the save - (14:09)
Harley Race pinned Ron Bass with a piledriver - (16:39)

Monroe, LA - January 31st 
King Kong Bundy d. Mike Jackson - (1:30)
Dale Wolfe & The Italian Stallion d. Fidel Sierra & The Cuban Assassin - (6:03) 
Lance Vaughan & Mike Von Erich d. Al Madril & Chris Colt - (8:31) 
Sam Houston (c) d. Eric Embry - (7:19) 
Ray Candy & Brickhouse Brown d. Sheepherders by DQ when Butch got the New Zealand flag involved - (10:03) 
Kevin Von Erich d. Adrian Street - (11:19) 

Natchez, AL - February 1st 
King Kong Bundy d. Mike Jackson - (1:13)
Dale Wolfe & The Italian Stallion d. Fidel Sierra & The Cuban Assassin - (5:41) 
Lance Vaughan & Mike Von Erich d. Al Madril & Chris Colt - (7:48) 
Sam Houston (c) d. Eric Embry - (8:52) 
Ray Candy & Brickhouse Brown d. Sheepherders by DQ when Butch got the New Zealand flag involved - (9:38) 
Kevin Von Erich d. Adrian Street - (13:03)