Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 2/24-3/1 Filling in for Brother KawadaSmile Edition

sek69

There's a big difference between bringing in special attractions to add pizzazz to big shows and presenting them as far more important than the full-time main eventers. I think the modern part-timer era can be traced back to WM26. All the big matches had strong builds based around either championships or well-established personal issues. Even Bret/Vince was rooted in a decades-old grudge. The buyrate ended being majorly disappointing, which was probably due to UFC 111 taking place the night before. But WWE apparently decided that none of their current stars were big enough to carry a major PPV. The next year, they brought in The Rock to serve as Mania host. The Miz was ostensibly in the main event, but he was completely overshadowed by the verbal jousting between Rock and Cena. The second-biggest match on the card, Taker/HHH, was promoted around the idea that they were the only worthy opponents for each other since none of the other geeks on the roster were in their league. The buyrate improved significantly from the previous year, and WWE has never looked back.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

There's a big difference between bringing in special attractions to add pizzazz to big shows and presenting them as far more important than the full-time main eventers. I think the modern part-timer era can be traced back to WM26. All the big matches had strong builds based around either championships or well-established personal issues. Even Bret/Vince was rooted in a decades-old grudge. The buyrate ended being majorly disappointing, which was probably due to UFC 111 taking place the night before. But WWE apparently decided that none of their current stars were big enough to carry a major PPV. The next year, they brought in The Rock to serve as Mania host. The Miz was ostensibly in the main event, but he was completely overshadowed by the verbal jousting between Rock and Cena. The second-biggest match on the card, Taker/HHH, was promoted around the idea that they were the only worthy opponents for each other since none of the other geeks on the roster were in their league. The buyrate improved significantly from the previous year, and WWE has never looked back.

This (and the post below it) are even better reads on it than I attempted. I absolutely agree that there is a difference between bringing Piper and Warrior back in 96' and Goldberg back in 2020, but I still think the criticism of the WWE utilizing part-timers is a very weird projection from some fans and that its one that ignores the historic use of special attractions to build big shows, especially WrestleManias. Like I posted a couple pages back, it often seems like these fans are upset because the part-timers don't show the same obsessive loyalty to "the industry" (read in Triple H voice) that they do.

Also, on a separate note, I did watch The Fiend/Goldberg match and, based on what I saw, both guys looked like absolute shit. I hate to be that guy because I'm a chubby piece of shit myself, but when Bray initially came back, there was talk about his new physique being part of his transformation. He did not look "new and improved" at Super Showdown. Goldberg's spears looked half-speed and sloppy and the Jackhammer was terrible. So, yeah, just piling on at this point but, even if you're glad Goldberg won, he looked just as bad here as he did against Taker. Cena and Reigns are going to have to perform some miracles with these two.

46 minutes ago, DMJ said:

Also, on a separate note, I did watch The Fiend/Goldberg match and, based on what I saw, both guys looked like absolute shit. I hate to be that guy because I'm a chubby piece of shit myself, but when Bray initially came back, there was talk about his new physique being part of his transformation. He did not look "new and improved" at Super Showdown. Goldberg's spears looked half-speed and sloppy and the Jackhammer was terrible. So, yeah, just piling on at this point but, even if you're glad Goldberg won, he looked just as bad here as he did against Taker. Cena and Reigns are going to have to perform some miracles with these two.

Yeah, if you compare Wyatt's physique from when he wrestled Finn to yesterday... rough. He barely wrestles and gained back all the weight he lost

Goldberg generally hasn't looked too bad (by his standards) in his US matches since coming back, it's probably not a good idea for him to keep doing matches in the SA heat at his age but clearly at this point WWE isn't concerned with the quality of those shows. 

12 minutes ago, ButchReedMark said:

No. Its Goldberg vs Cena, all day. I'd watch it over and over like Wales beating Brazil in 1991.

Hey I wouldn't mind Cena/Berg and John's ability to carry low mobility people to great matches is impressive

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Someone get brother KawadaSmile some lotion for that burn.

Crying over my 5 World Cups

3 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Hey I wouldn't mind Cena/Berg and John's ability to carry low mobility people to great matches is impressive. 

I'm going to watch the greatest game in football history instead of smack down now and give myself a massive hard on.

That's right Wales 3 - 1 Belgium from the 2016 euros. 

We'll win 5 World Cups one day. We might even qualify for one soon!!!!