Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - June 3 2020

MoS

6 minutes ago, MoS said:

Ewww they are starting the show with Havoc and Sabian

Well it's not like they're winning or anything at least.

Also props for actually saying the words Black Lives Matter. All these other corporate PR statements dance around it without actually saying the words. 

Now to find his Jim Duggan. 

Cage looks great, and Mox is becoming a rrally good character, something that feels authentically his, unlike the hundreds of the Next Steve Austins we have seen. I am enjoying his run.

GODDAMN Archer is a good promo. Why did they put him with Jake? That got him more over than all the Jake segments. 

AND a table bump! I hope Cody's matches don't have so many bells and whistles every week, but for the first title defence, it was fine. Good match. A much improved show from last week imo. The Tyson thing was kept to a minimum, and a bunch of over wrestlers being showcased. 

Fyter Fest will be a 2-week Wed night event, so they are building monthly TV brand shows to supplement their PPVs, which I think is a smart move. 

I thought the main event was super rushed in order to stay within the TV time limits. They sold the table bump for like what, 10 seconds? And then Cody was back in control as if nothing happened.

Britt Baker is awesome and kind of exemplifies the difference between some of the heels in modern wrestling versus the past. She is so endearing outside of the show and plays such an awesome character on the show that instead of hating her I instead love her and look forward to seeing her schtick. Jericho is another example where he is so entertaining that I can't hate him even though he's clearly playing an asshole character. To be a true heel these days the person almost needs to be unlikable in real life (hi Seth Rollins). Then it becomes easier to respond to them as a traditional heel.

The opening statement was a nice touch but AEW still feels like it could do better with black representation on their shows. 

Opening tag wasn’t great, really. Omega’s AEW run continues to be so inconsistent; I know it’s next to impossible to make Kip Sabian’s offense look good but that’s no excuse for that drunken stumble into the ropes after the drop kick. He seemed pretty slow for him too so I’m not sure if he’s carrying an injury or not. In front of a crowd, it would be even more readily apparent that Page is their first “homegrown” top guy though, he’s leaping off the screen. 

The Cage squash wasn’t as good as last week since it didn’t have Lee Johnson bumping like a lunatic but these squashes leading to title shots are pretty delightful in how old-school they are. Taz as the mouthpiece is surprisingly good too, I’m amazed he was sitting on commentary for years without trying it elsewhere.

Lance Archer kicking the shit out of some random fellow in a wasteland was hilarious but they should totally keep up those vignettes until they build up someone in the baby face side to fight him. Part of me wants to see Jake Roberts come face to face with Broken Matt Hardy.

Hardy meeting with Private Party gives me hope that they’ll debut the 6 Man Tag Titles when they get the second show.

Sammy popping Jericho by singing the song a couple of lines ahead was hilarious. If Jericho is still good for a few potatoes a match, those boxing punches in the corner had to be bad for Cabana. The match was perfectly good TV fare, the right length with a good finish. I actually dig Cabana as a guy who has enough credibility to have competitive TV matches before putting people over.

The Britt Baker segment was incredible. If she’s coming up with this stuff by herself, she’s a certified genius. Treating riding the wheelchair up the ramp as a fear of strength after not being bothered to do the actual hard work was a great gag. 

Butcher and Blade feel like the perfect first team for FTR to face since they’re a really underrated team that will match their style. It should be a genuinely great match.

Dug the main event, especially all the continued hints at Cody’s heel side. Him blading after headbutting the wall was a fairly wild spot and I loved Jungle Boy going straight after it, as you would in a title match. I really like these 2-3 week spots that they do to elevate certain guys since they always have an improved standing after it, even when they’ve been defeated since it also establishes the hierarchy. Now that Cody has said the open challenge is open to workers not on the AEW roster, I’m guessing now that it’s how they debut Zack Ryder. Even though I’m hoping for a one-off Heath Slater appearance.

I’m also making a prediction that we get an equivalent of the World Tag League in AEW at some point.

Honestly, I was looking at that match and I felt like the match Jungle Boy had with Chris Jericho late last year has been a confidence booster for him and I'm not sure he could've had the match he had with Cody last night if he hadn't had that one before. He's been growing leaps and bounds as a performer in the past few months and I could legit see him as a TNT Champion in the future.

5 hours ago, World's Worst Man said:

To be a true heel these days the person almost needs to be unlikable in real life (hi Seth Rollins). Then it becomes easier to respond to them as a traditional heel.

Yes, the heel has to make sure that he's better than you, and you should know it. 

Fun show. Highlights to me were Sammy being downright hilarious (this guy is such a star already), the Britt Baker vignette and Role's Royce (totally out of Austin's playbook when he was injured in 97 yet still stealing shows with his stuff), Jericho vs Cabana (really fun TV match) and the main event, although the ending was totally rushed. The blade-job was kinda hilarious in that it was so totally needless and so Dusty in spirit. The table spot puzzled me, they did not sell it one second after they got back into the ring, so yeah I would think they had a timing issue here.

Taz managing Cage >>>>> Jake managing Archer (who doesn't need a manager, and certainly not Jake who makes him look not that big)

On 6/4/2020 at 5:19 PM, Stiva said:

Omega’s AEW run continues to be so inconsistent; I know it’s next to impossible to make Kip Sabian’s offense look good but that’s no excuse for that drunken stumble into the ropes after the drop kick. 

If I may, looking closely it is totally Sabian's fault, as he's juts not getting up quickly enough after his own dropkick and Omega can't bump in the ropes with too much force as he's waiting for the poison rana (for which he bumped wonderfully), so he's just looking awkward as Sabian is getting up and wasting time before hitting his spot. Just not enough pacing and intensity on his part. I dunno what's missing with Sabian, he's like those ok NJ juniors who are doing some dynamic stuff but aren't special either in character nor execution, so he's kinda there... I like the team with Havoc, but he's the third wheel to me after Penelope.

Speaking of people I don't get, I don't get Big Swole's appeal at all. She isn't very good still and I find her to be rather annoying. Maybe she should be a heel, as a babyface I just want someone to slap the shit out of her so she stops doing stupid pauses like a dumb jock (is there a feminine equivalent of the term ?). Pair her with Austin Gunn already. Nyla on the other hand is quickly getting more and more solid. Loving the new look with the multicolored braids, that gives her an Awesome Kong kinda feel.

On 6/4/2020 at 3:37 AM, sek69 said:

The bald one looks like a mini Michael Elgin now that he trimmed his beard.

This is so spot on ! I haven't watch a FTR match in four years, so I have no earthly idea who is called what.

11 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

The one with hair is Dan "Cash" Wheeler and the bald one is David "Dax" Harwood. (They are using their real last names now.)

They honestly should just have had Cash and Dax embroidered on the already over-done denim jackets.