Pro Wrestling Only

Bob Ryder is a terribly loathsome human being

Bix

LAST TIME MARC MERO SPOKE OUT AGAINST DRUGS HE WAS LESS THAN HONEST

By: Bob Ryder

7/27/2007 9:13:53 AM

Marc Mero has become a regular on the cable news shows lately as he lashes out against drug use and deaths in the professional wrestling industry. It's not the first time he has done so.

The "About Marc" section of his official website contains the following language, "Wrestling also provided me the opportunity to use my notoriety to speak at schools everywhere about the importance of an education and staying away from drugs. I had a program called “Stay clean, if ya know what I mean.” WCW was instrumental in setting me up to speak at these schools as I traveled the world."

At the time Mero was speaking at those schools he was far from clean. By his own admission, he was heavily abusing steroids, pain medication, and other drugs during his career as a wrestler...at the same time he was telling kids at schools they should "stay clean".

Many of Mero's supporters say he is sincere when he appears on the cable news shows to talk about the drug problem in professional wrestling. I'm guessing the kids at the schools he visited probably thought he was sincere when he spoke to them at a time that he was actually a part of the problem.

WHAT ELSE IS THE COMMITTEE ON OVERSIGHT AND GOVERNMENT REFORM WORKING ON?

7/27/2007 7:51:34 PM

Earlier today a Congressional Committee sent a letter to Vince McMahon demanding that WWE turn over all records related to drug testing, including data predating the current "Wellness Program".

What else is the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform working on? Here are just a few of the things the committee has been dealing with:

# Waste, Fraud, and Abuse at the U.S. Embassy in Iraq

# Potential Presidential Records Acts Violations

# Request for White House climate change documents

# Documents related to the death of Patrick Tillman

# Hearing on FEMA preparedness

# White House emails

# Disclosure of CIA agent identity

Looks like they've been pretty busy

NOTES FROM BOB: THE "MARC MERO DEATH LIST"

7/27/2007 6:49:20 PM

Marc Mero has made the rounds in recent weeks and has displayed a "death list" of people he has wrestled who have since died. The list contains people who have died from a wide range of causes, including car wrecks, suicide, cancer, heart attack, and accidents. Mero has repeatedly blamed "wrestling" for the deaths and says the list shows the growing problem of too many people in the wrestling business who have died at young ages.

A list of one is too long a list if that death could have been prevented. Having said that, the rapidly growing "lists" that have been referred to on the cable news shows includes people who had never worked in for a major wrestling company. The vast majority of the people on the "lists" had been out of the business for an extended period of time when they died.

Lists are an interesting thing. Just as "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" has demonstrated that just about anyone who has ever appeared in a movie can be traced back to Kevin Bacon...people like Mero use the "wrestling death lists" to try to blame WWE for everyone on the lists.

You can interpret lists a number of ways to get the results you want. WWE says only 5 people on the list died while they were working for them. That's a much smaller list than the one Mero waves around. Some will say that deaths like Mike Awesome's (he was retired, selling real estate, and is said to have committed suicide when his marriage collapsed) don't belong on the list. Some would say that Yokozuna died because he was morbidly obese, not because he was a wrestler. Some would say that Owen Hart was a tragic accident that shouldn't be lumped in with the other deaths. Some would say that John "Earthquake" Tenta or referee Brian "Mark Curtis" Hildebrand shouldn't be on the list because they died from cancer. Others say they were all wrestlers, so they all belong on the "lists".

Here's another list. Marc Mero's official website reveals the following information. His sister died at a young age from Hodgkins Disease. His mother passed away at age 58, younger than Sapphire. Sapphire is on the "wrestling death list pubished by The Sun and died when she was 61. Two weeks after the death of his mother, Mero's younger brother died as a result of injuries sustained when he passed out and hit his head while undergoing drug screening. Mero's father passed away in 1999.

You could make a pretty good argument that a lot of people related to Marc Mero passed away at relatively young ages. They all died from different causes, but hey...put them on the list anyway. That's how the "wrestling death list" works.

You could take it one step further, as Mero and people like Nancy Grace would do, and try to blame Marc Mero for the deaths. You could even say Marc Mero was using steroids and other drugs at the time they all died, and that steroids must have had a role in their deaths.

You could do that, but it would be horribly unfair to Marc Mero....just as blaming WWE or "wrestling" for the deaths of the people on the "wrestling death list" is unfair. Sometimes people die, and it's not always "wrestling's" fault.

22% OF FIGHTERS ON UFC 73 ARE KNOWN TO HAVE USED STEROIDS

7/21/2007 9:56:27 PM

Kevin Iole, writing for Yahoo Sports, talks about the steroid problem facing Mixed Martial Arts and more specifically UFC.

Iole talks about the news this week that Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca both failed a drug test administered after their fight at UFC 73. Iole notes that two other fighters on the same card have failed steroid tests in the past, Stephan Bonnar and Nate Marquardt. That means 22% of the 18 fighters on the card are known to have used steroids while fighting for UFC.

It seems that somebody fails a steroid test after almost every UFC event these days, but Nancy Grace and Glenn Beck haven't devoted any shows to that topic.

Admittedly, he does actually bring up some decent points. But, kinda like with Ann Coulter, those true facts are quickly buried like tiny raisins in a massive oatmeal cookie of exagerrations, irrelevent character assasinations, and hidden agendas.

You know what the funniest thing in the world is? Watching Bob Ryder try to convince people he's not gay. If you've ever been around him much, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Agreed,

He's raising some legit points and hypocrisy, but when you start looking at his coverage as a whole, it comes across as WWE PR disguised as news. Just deflecting blame and muddying the waters, rather than actually trying to raise the issue of rampant drug use and poor working conditions. I seems less like he cares about the performers and more about getting one of those sweet WWE 4 Life type of jobs that seem to go to any retired person from within the business.....possibly to

A. keep their mouth shut and

B. keep them from being a part of a competitor.

and as a personal note, I do dislike Ryder over the fact that he banned me from one of the WCW Chats with Eric Bischoff when I repeatedly pressed Ryder to ask Bischoff why he was firing guys on the injured list, including guys like Ultimo Dragon that was sidelined thanks to the negligence of a WCW-chosen surgeon.

The irony of someone who worked closely with ECW chastising anyone about honesty when it comes to drug usage is off the charts.

You can tell Marc Mero must be getting under people's skin when the personal attacks start. It also speaks volumes of the inability of disputing what he says when the most people can come up with is challenging if he was over or not, as if that matters at all when discussing drug problems.

What was the point of him bringing up other things the Congressional committee is working on? Is it not possible for them to deal with more than one issue at a time?

BOB RYDER responds TO READER CRITICISM OF OUR COVERAGE OF THE AFTERMATH OF THE BENOIT FAMILY TRAGEDY

7/28/2007 9:33:42 AM

Tom D writes:

Since the Benoit family tragedy I have lost a ton of respect for your website. You continually kiss WWE and Vince McMahons ass 24/7. You would have to be completely in denial not to admit the lifestyle and prototypical 'look' of a pro wrestler doesn't lead to drug abuse. Not to mention, family stress, work schedule, spot on card, etc. The way that Vince McMahon and the WWE have reacted pretty much proves it. Changes need to be made and if you don't see it you're blind.

When you turn your business into a monopoly you have to take responsibility. Thats nobody elses fault but Vince's own. He has ruined so many great ideas over the years, (the New ECW recently) hopefully he won't ruin this opportunity to change the business. You and Apter are a complete joke. Thank god for The Torch at least they tell it like it is and aren't blind to the terrible stress on pro wrestlers, (sports entertainers) hey he ruined that too. An unbiased, obvious opinion is appreciated.

Bob Ryder responds:

I've never said there isn't a problem. I have repeatedly said there is one, and that if even one person dies too young, that's one person too many. My problem is with media whores like Marc Mero who try to use scare tactics like the "list". The "death list" is a joke. They are using a "list" of up to 140 names to scare the public into thinking wrestling is killing their young. That's just not true.

You say "thank God for the Torch". They are part of the problem. They are fueling the media frenzy and are just as focused on a phony death list as Nancy Grace is. If the news media (including the Torch) would open their eyes and really be "fair and balanced" they wouldn't have to resort to using a "death list" with people like Junkyard Dog (car wreck), and Sapphire (61 and out of the business when she died) on it to prove their point.

Many of the names on the list had been out of the business for years when they died. How "wrestling" can be blamed for Mike Awesome hanging himself amazes me. He was out of the business, selling real estate, and his wife left him. Yokozuna is on the "list". WWE did everything in their power to help him lose weight. They sent him to the best weight loss clinic in the country and when he still refused to take steps to lose weight, they released him. He died from morbid obesity. WWE tried to help, and they are now blamed for his death because he's on the "wrestling death list".

Is there a drug problem in professional wrestling. Absolutely. I don't know where you work, but there's probably a drug problem there too. Baseball, football, bike racing, etc....all have steroid problems. It's not limited to wrestling. Hollywood and the music industry has a drug problem...just look at this week for an example with Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Andy Dick, Nicole Richie, all making headines for drug related problems.

What bothers me is the media (including unfortunately the Torch) is focusing on the problem in wrestling, not because of the problem.....but because it's "wrestling".

Nobody on the internet has been more critical of WWE over the years than I have. I have nothing to gain by sucking up to them now. I just think it's wrong for people to throw them under the bus the way they are and to rely on a phony "list" to do it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not going to jump on the bash WWE bandwagon in this case. Should they take steps to improve their drug testing? Absolutely....and I'm sure they will. The current program is a huge step in the right direction and people have been suspended and released because of the program. They clearly need to make adjustments to close some loopholes, and that is probably something that is already being worked on.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that no matter how tough the WWE test is, it will only be as effective as the people taking the test allow it to be. Marc Mero has publically said that he "cheated" to pass tests in WCW. Even with visual supervision during the test, there will be ways to beat it. Just look at the scandals in track and field and bicycle racing. Just look at Barry Bonds. He's passed every test, but 99% of the world thinks he used steroids. I'm in that 99%, but it doesn't do any good for us to suspect he did steroids if MLB isn't able to prove it.

WWE, as the Yokozuna case proves, can do everything in their power to try to help address a problem. If the individual refuses to accept that help and continues the abuse that kills them....can you really blame WWE for the death?

Thanks for your email.

send feedback to [email protected]

If someone can find his article comparing deaths in wrestling to deaths from SNL that would be great. TNA must be shitting bricks if they've sent this douchebag out to do their dirty work.

Weird that Ryder is anti-Mero, when Mero was in WCW, Ryder got him to join the Prodigy service (I assume with a free username, since Ryder used to give those to everybody) and would bring him in for frequent chats and such. After Mero went to WWF, he stopped posting since WWF had an agreement with AOL at the time, but I assume Mero remained one of his WWF sources until he left. BTW, as an aside, Eric Bischoff used to post under a pseudonym (I think it was Keith O'Brien or something) and would defend WCW whenever anybody spoke ill of it and would talk about how WWF would be dead in six months.

Wow what a douche.

How "wrestling" can be blamed for Mike Awesome hanging himself amazes me. He was out of the business, selling real estate, and his wife left him.

The divorce was the last straw, but pretty much everyone agreed wrestling left him a mess physically.

JYD's death was not drug related, but he certainly had a problem. It cost him his job in the WWF when he was a top babyface.

I don't know where you work, but there's probably a drug problem there too.

You can tell he's never worked a job outside of the pro wrestling business. You can't even get hired to work the fryolator at McDonald's without passing a drug test. Also, most non sports jobs are not likely to be rife with roids or HGH either.

The current program is a huge step in the right direction

Nancy and Daniel would beg to differ.

and people have been suspended and released because of the program.

Only midcarders were getting released and the suspensions stopped when they started to interfere with storylines/PPVs which tells you all you need to know about how serious their testing is.

So is Ryder trying to wrangle himself a WWE job or what? Surely he doesn't think they need him to be their interweb shill?

Good stuff, John.

For what it's worth, there was a period in the last 18 months where Vince took himself off contract that happened to coincide with the beginnings of the drug tresting. He went back under contract a few months back, I believe.

Good stuff, John.

For what it's worth, there was a period in the last 18 months where Vince took himself off contract that happened to coincide with the beginnings of the drug tresting. He went back under contract a few months back, I believe.

...Which coincided with the testing beoming more and more of a sham.

It's not in the 10-K or 10-Q's that he was "off contract". There are no additional amendments to the Talent Contract other than the one listed, which means any work on WWE TV as of the filing of the 10-K would be covered by it. If I recall correctly, they've filed at least one 10-Q since then.

Do you mean "off TV"?

John

I don't remember the specifics, but I recall reading about Vince not having a talent contract around the time the Wellness Policy came into effect.

This is what I meant. He was no longer paid as talent. The Wellness Policy is for contracted talent.

I don't see any evidence that Vince didn't have a contract. The one that was signed in 2000 is still the one referenced in the March 2007 filing, which is long after the Wellness Program was put in place. In other words, it wasn't terminated and a new one was executed when he "went back on contract". There isn't even an amendment that would cover "going off contract".

More likely, he stopped being on TV for a while and/or stopped getting paid on it.

There are references that Vince wasn't taking money from his Employment Contract other than Salary. In other words, he wasn't taking the bonuses. It's not explicit that he wasn't taking money from the Talent Contract.

John

Beyond all that, the WWE has had various Drug Policies going back before the Wellness Program. Vince's contract calls for him to provide "samples" persuant to them going back to 2000.

Anyone think Vince ever pissed in a bottle in those years?

John

I don't see any evidence that Vince didn't have a contract. The one that was signed in 2000 is still the one referenced in the March 2007 filing, which is long after the Wellness Program was put in place. In other words, it wasn't terminated and a new one was executed when he "went back on contract". There isn't even an amendment that would cover "going off contract".

More likely, he stopped being on TV for a while and/or stopped getting paid on it.

There are references that Vince wasn't taking money from his Employment Contract other than Salary. In other words, he wasn't taking the bonuses. It's not explicit that he wasn't taking money from the Talent Contract.

It might be worth asking Dave or Bryan about, as they both required he stopped taking a salary for any of his roles in the company.

Beyond all that, the WWE has had various Drug Policies going back before the Wellness Program. Vince's contract calls for him to provide "samples" persuant to them going back to 2000.

Anyone think Vince ever pissed in a bottle in those years?

While they technically had a drug policy (hence the discipline/firing of those in no condition to perform and Jamie Noble), they weren't testing.

Guest Nathan

Complete tangent but was there ever an explanation in Torch or Observer for why vain Vince refused to work shirtless in his last program?

I would assume it had to do with not wanting Lashley's physique look less impressive.

Complete tangent but was there ever an explanation in Torch or Observer for why vain Vince refused to work shirtless in his last program?

I would assume it had to do with not wanting Lashley's physique look less impressive.

I assumed it was because he didn't quite have a Lashley-esqe physique anymore... for whatever reason.

I don't know where you work, but there's probably a drug problem there too.

You can tell he's never worked a job outside of the pro wrestling business. You can't even get hired to work the fryolator at McDonald's without passing a drug test. Also, most non sports jobs are not likely to be rife with roids or HGH either.

I agree with you that Ryder's got his head up his ass when it comes to drug issues in other jobs, but (in this is just my case, so I can't speak for everyone here) I've worked positions from dishwasher at a golf and country club to my current position in the Canadian Government where I went through top secret clearance and I can honestly say I've never had to take a drug test in my life. I've also spoken with various government officials from the U.S. and they tell me the same thing.

John's post above (the one Loss quoted) was awesome.

Canadian

I've never had to take a drug test

It's an easy cheap joke, but seriously, I couldn't imagine getting a job in America that both required security clearance and didn't require a drug test. In the private world it's pretty random, about half of all jobs don't require them, the other half do.

Fair enough, Jingus and JHawk, but the point I was getting at to Sek was that there actually are workplaces, besides the pro wrestling industry, where drug testing is not done. I realize there are are places where it's done, but to think that it's done everywhere except wrestling is naive.

(And, yeah, Jingus, I have talked to people pretty high up in the U.S. Government who never took a drug test.)