Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 06/29 - 07/05 Florida is pretty much where the Doom guy goes to in his games

KawadaSmile

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been a regular NXT (or WWE in general) viewer since empty arena started, but I decided to watch night 1 of NXT: GAB

- crowd helps, but AEW is still better at it

- Women's 4-way was a decent opener.  All 4 girls are good but none of them seem like they're on Io's level right now as a credible challenger.  Tegan and Io is an interesting match I guess

- Dexter Lumis is no buys with me.  I love his theme music, he's still green but not a total stiff, this character just doesn't do it for me.  Seems like a natural heel but I guess he's a face?  What is he?  I get using Strong (and all of UE) to get guys over and help them in the ring.....but they have to have better prospects than this guy.  I skipped forward on this match a lot

- Loved Thatcher and Lorcan.  Thatcher is the best.  Just his constant mean mug is enough for me to love the guy.

- Damian Priest is a great promo.  That combined with decent enough work and the ability to hang with top tier guys makes me a fan of his

- Presentation of Escobar and his group was top notch

- Karrion Kross video was good.  Sounds like he's going for a Christian Bale voice with his delivery

- I probably had my expectations set too high for Io and Sasha.  Good for a first match, feel they could do a lot better.  Was that German where Sasha landed on her head but almost flipped over onto her feet supposed to be a bump or a transition into something?  Hard to tell to my eyes.  A lot of stuff here that was just a hair off.  Liked how they got Asuka involved at the end....legit wasn't expecting that because I'd forgotten about Sasha and Asuka at the "ppv"

Easy show to watch overall.  I'll watch next week for sure.  They did a great job hyping Lee and Cole, excellent hype video, love Cole pointing out that he's the reason Lee got a chance to be at Survivor Series and the Rumble and get over.  I fully expect Lee to win next week, and that seems like a fitting end to Cole's run on top

I will say though, the last person to get a big NXT title win on TV was Rhea.......and we all see how that went

Hopefully Lee isn't jobbing to Bray Wyatt or Braun Stroman by the fall

I forgot about the Rhea stuff.  Seems like a harmless way to keep her busy while she's not after the title.  They botched her bad with the Charlotte stuff and need to rebuild her, no problem with this.  Robert Stone is really good in this role IMO.

11 minutes ago, cm funk said:

as that German where Sasha landed on her head but almost flipped over onto her feet supposed to be a bump or a transition into something?  Hard to tell to my eyes. 

I first thought it was a reversal, but it looked like she just did a full 360 on the bump. I noticed that happens in Sasha matches a lot, she's so slight of build she ends up flying more on bumps than most people do. 

52 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So looking at the ratings this week, it seems that Sasha and Bayley are the one thing that can get more people to watch NXT. 

I mean, women's wrestling in 2020 is really fucking good and has been for a minute. No surprises here.

10 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Samoa Joe is apparently retired.

On a somewhat related note, word on the street is that Kairi Sane's status with the company is "complicated" and she could be transitioning to a non-wrestling role. Thanks a lot, Nia and Charlotte.

Good for Joe. He's terrific at the role and sadly he was too broken down in the ring to keep it up.

Also, Charlotte beating the shit out of Kairi probably infuriates me more than Nia being her unusual reckless self. I'll never get what the fuck Flair was thinking, and she really should've known better.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

I first thought it was a reversal, but it looked like she just did a full 360 on the bump. I noticed that happens in Sasha matches a lot, she's so slight of build she ends up flying more on bumps than most people do. 

Same with the top rope hurricanrana. Sasha landed on her tailbone as opposed to the usual flatback bump.

4 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also, Charlotte beating the shit out of Kairi probably infuriates me more than Nia being her unusual reckless self. I'll never get what the fuck Flair was thinking, and she really should've known better.

Yeah, at least Nia isn't actively trying to hurt people, she's just sloppy. Charlotte powerbombing a barely conscious Kairi into a table was just unbelievably unsafe and unprofessional. 

8 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Same with the top rope hurricanrana. Sasha landed on her tailbone as opposed to the usual flatback bump.

As much as I want to look forward to Sasha matches since they are generally good,  but I end up getting scared she's going to scorpion herself on every bump she takes.

56 minutes ago, cm funk said:

Was that German where Sasha landed on her head but almost flipped over onto her feet supposed to be a bump or a transition into something?

Looks like a miscommunication. Sasha is flipping backwards like she's trying 'block' the suplex by rotating 360 degrees and landing on her feet, but Io has her arms locked around her like it's a proper German suplex when she should release her hands if she knew what Sasha was intending that, so Sasha gets tangled up.

5 minutes ago, Kadaveri said:

Looks like a miscommunication. Sasha is flipping backwards like she's trying 'block' the suplex by rotating 360 degrees and landing on her feet, but Io has her arms locked around her like it's a proper German suplex when she should release her hands if she knew what Sasha was intending that, so Sasha gets tangled up.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I hope they do a tag match with the 4 of them and more matches with Io and Banks (and Bayley!!!).  I'm enjoying having Bayley and Sasha travel around between the brands working with everyone

7 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

I mean, women's wrestling in 2020 is really fucking good and has been for a minute. No surprises here.

I agree about women's wrestling being awesome right now, but I think as far as what drew the ratings, I would argue it's Sasha and Bayley. They have now moved ratings big-time for a number of weeks, as opposed to Charlotte, who one way or another did not make a difference. Rhea losing to Charlotte seems a more terrible decision with each passing week, cuz Rhea definitely could have been a breakout difference-maker. I am hoping they execute the next part of their story well, because they have done an excellent job this year so far of building up their split. 

Funny how not long ago we were saying Bayley was dead on the water and how her character change was a horrible idea (which is partly true, from a marketing standpoint), and now she's one of the most entertaining acts around. Good on Sasha too, who spent a lot of time doing nothing.

Bayley is still not close to what she could have been as a top face, but since they started teasing the Sasha feud, she has been great. It still feels like she is playing WWE Heel more than herself, but she has improved in that role as well. She should also wear that hat she was wearing on NXT all the time

It's a good thing he's canceled or people would be up in arms.

For Raw, they have Asuka vs Bayley with Kairi in Asuka's corner booked. I thought she left for Japan already but I guess she has one more appearance. I was negative about Bayley's heel turn but she's hit a home run since Sasha has returned.  The appreciation video of the team and Bayley doing a Taker as Big Johnny impersonation was outstanding.

I really liked Matt Riddle vs. John Morrison. I gave that one ***3/4. Looks like Riddle is already emerging as a top flight TV worker, and that makes me happy as I watched him on the Indies (such as EVOLVE) and not much has changed since. With Bryan turning 40 next year, he may be trying to transition to another phase, and a guy like Riddle (has charisma, can control an entire crowd with one word, and is an elite level worker) can take his spot.

I also liked AJ Styles vs. Drew Gulak. ***1/2 for that one. The legendary AJ Styles does it yet again, as the consistency continues, and he once again showed his top notch ring generalship, and he really had too, because to be honest, for me... Drew Gulak is boring. He was boring on the Indies, and he is still boring in the WWE. Many times he would lose my attention span while watching his matches. His best matches were against the likes of AJ, Bryan, ZSJ, Chris Hero, & Cesaro, but that is because of who his opponents were in those matches (they are all also in my Top 100 Workers as well). I also remember him having great matches with Riddle in the Indies, and I think Mustafa Ali on 205 Live, who is another great worker.

Didn't watch SD but I'm a big Riddle fan.  That say, no way in hell can anyone on the radar fill the shoes of Daniel Bryan.  I expect him to get out of dodge soon, and he's irreplacable.  One of the few guys I'll actually tune in to WWE to see.  Riddle could be one of those guys if they don't fuck him up with bad booking, but I don't think he's one of the rare guys like Bryan who are so F'n great they overcome it.  Maybe Riddle is, but I hate that these days I have to think these guys are behind the eight ball and succeed in spite of the company they work for

Bryan leaving will be a MASSIVE loss and they have nobody to replace him.  A lot of the people being featured these days are older and won't be around forever, and they've done jack and shit to prepare for the future

Roman being the "Face" of anything is enough of a joke to me as it is. Has the charisma of a tree stump, boring, attention span killing wrestler, unreliable, has the presence of being a bodyguard, not the face of a wrestling company. It goes on & on with him.

30 minutes ago, SmoothS said:

Roman being the "Face" of anything is enough of a joke to me as it is. Has the charisma of a tree stump, boring, attention span killing wrestler, unreliable, has the presence of being a bodyguard, not the face of a wrestling company. It goes on & on with him.

Really?

Between the star ratings you've been throwing around, calling Drew Gulak boring, defending Seth Rollins, and now this "amazing" take... I'm not sure this is the board for you.