Pro Wrestling Only

NXT TakeOver: WarGames - Two Matches Beyond

C.S.

12 minutes ago, C.S. said:

The best thing I can say about that match is that it's now over.

Thatcher brings nothing to the table - nothing - and Tomasso Ciampa desperately needs a refresh of some kind (a call-up and change of scenery maybe?). 

Ciampa said his neck couldn't take the main roster schedule and he would retire if he was called up. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Ciampa said his neck couldn't take the main roster schedule and he would retire if he was called up. 

Fair enough. But the current main roster schedule is more than doable, especially with the future of house shows in doubt, no?

Even a temporary call-up during the pandemic would do wonders. He's so stale in NXT. 

He deserves to work WrestleMania at least once in his career. (I know NXT wrestlers have had matches at Mania - Rhea Ripley last year being the primary example - but it's very rare and sporadic.)

28 minutes ago, C.S. said:

The best thing I can say about that match is that it's now over.

Thatcher brings nothing to the table - nothing - and Tomasso Ciampa desperately needs a refresh of some kind (a call-up and change of scenery maybe?). 

Thatcher's a talented worker with a unique style that stands out. He's not the kind of guy you can build a promotion around, but he'd be great as the number 2 or 3 guy in a heel stable with a manager as a mouthpiece.

11 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Thatcher's a talented worker with a unique style that stands out. He's not the kind of guy you can build a promotion around, but he'd be great as the number 2 or 3 guy in a heel stable with a manager as a mouthpiece.

Unique style that stands out, but he can only work his kind of match. With that said, I agree he'd be good as the #3 guy in a stable. I wonder if he was originally pegged for the McAfee group before the infinitely superior Pete Dunne was able to return. 

Lumis vs. Grimes (and I'm not exactly a fan of Grimes, who looks like he belongs in the NWA wrestling Thomas Latimer and Royce Isaacs in front of 25 fans) and Ruff vs. Gargano vs. Priest (so far at least) have been far more interesting to me because they have good character work, story, and stakes.

Good rasslin' alone will never, ever impress me because that's the bare minimum requirement and something I already expect from anyone in WWE or even NXT (TV). In this case, the jury is out on Thatcher, who is great with someone who can wrestle his style or adapt to it, but completely out of his element in any other scenario.

Not a fan of Priest's name or gimmick (what there is of it), but he has really impressed me in this match. Looks awesome in the ring and great character work. 

So, of course, they go with the stalest possible outcome and have Johnny regain the title. 

Ruff's underdog reign should've continued to legitimatize him. 

The ghostface gimmick and this goof saying "Austin, it was me all along!" like he's an extra on BTE is the shits.

It is funny that people were joking that they were hoping it was David Arquette as the leader and an argument could be made that would be better than austin Theory

I am curious if Johnny was shoot pissed off at Leon for I guess busting open his lip or just playing the dick real well.  Hopefully that isn't the end of Leon Ruff and isn't being going to get stuck in 205 Live land 

God I hope this show is supposed to over at 10 and not 10:30.   

13 hours ago, C.S. said:

...infinitely superior Pete Dunne was able to return. 

Dunne superior to Thatcher? That's one I have to highly disagree on. Thatcher is fantastic. His selling, facial expressions, striking, grappling exchanges, brawling, etc. are much better than Dunne's. Dunne aims way to often to put on "epic" indy level matches which of course usually revolves around no sell 2.99 kickout exchanges, blatant thigh slap heavy strikes and extremely loose matwork. 

13 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Dunne superior to Thatcher? That's one I have to highly disagree on. Thatcher is fantastic. His selling, striking, grappling exchanges and brawling are much better than Dunne's. Dunne aims way to often to put on "epic" indy level matches which of course usually revolves around no sell 2.99 kickout exchanges, blatant thigh slap heavy strikes and extremely loose matwork. 

Dunne can work with a wide variety of opponents and adapt to different styles. Thatcher is only as good as someone who can adapt to his style. 

Also, Dunne is someone with infinite potential who can actually be built up as a top guy - Thatcher's ceiling is #3 goon in a stable on Smackdown or the champion on 205 Live.

Any flaws Dunne may have can be attributed to how young he still is. Remember, he's only in his early 20s.

Thatcher has a good decade on him - or at least looks like it, lol.

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

God I hope this show is supposed to over at 10 and not 10:30.   

I'm calling 10:10.

I do like the weasel game of McAfee pretending that he wants to come out.  

Really don't like when someone taps out before the War Games even gets started.  Especially when you have barely been in the match like Burch.   Although the cricket bats are a nice touch.   New weapons are definitely needed in these matches

9 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Dunne can work with a wide variety of opponents and adapt to different styles. Thatcher is only as good as someone who can adapt to his style. 

Also, Dunne is someone with infinite potential who can actually be built up as a top guy - Thatcher's ceiling is #3 goon in a stable on Smackdown or the champion on 205 Live.

Dunne literally has the same "indy" epic match every time out regardless of the setting or opponent. You can almost call it spot for spot.

It's a preference thing, but I'd rather watch Thatcher's gritty grappling than a Dunne "indy" epic.

What company could you build around Dunne? PROGRESS? NXT UK? You can't even build NXT around him, much less RAW or SmackDown. Average promo, indytastic move and mind set, not overly charismatic, etc.

I liked with the chair shot to the back of McAfee that even thought UE is considered the face team, they are still dicks 

And yes you can't do a UE War Games match without the "let's all fight in the middle of the two rings" spot

Of course the table named Cole is the one who doesn't sell anything 

Looked like nobody caught McAfee on that swanton.  I don't have a problem with that  

21 minutes ago, Edwin said:

What company could you build around Dunne? PROGRESS? NXT UK? You can't even build NXT around him, much less RAW or SmackDown. Average promo, indytastic move and mind set, not overly charismatic, etc.

Well, we both know Raw and Smackdown would be pipe dreams for Dunne to be built around, but it could be done.

He'd be a great NXT Champion, and I'd be surprised if at least that isn't in his future.

He's still very young and is only going to continue to improve and refine his game. 

People are going to wander into this thread tomorrow and be outraged by our "hot takes" on Thatcher and Dunne, respectively, but I think people are used to me having opinions outside the "norm." :D 

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Well, we both know Raw and Smackdown would be pipe dreams for Dunne to be built around, but it could be done.

He'd be a great NXT Champion, and I'd be surprised if at least that isn't in his future.

He's still very young and is only going to continue to improve and refine his game. 

People are going to wander into this thread tomorrow and be outraged by our "hot takes" on Thatcher and Dunne, respectively, but I think people are used to me having opinions outside the "norm." :D 

I appreciate a good hot take. For my tastes, I’m all about Thatcher. Now he’s not a guy I’d build a company around but I love watching him in the ring and his selling and facials are just perfect. I enjoy Pete Dunne in the right context. I can’t say he’s ever going to be my cup of tea but I can say he’s a heck of a lot better than somebody like Gargano

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Dunne would be a great choice to build NXT around if NXT was still in the business of developing folks instead of existing to only fuck with AEW.

Even by that metric, he'd be a good counter-punch to PAC if AEW ever completely loses its marbles and gives that guy its World Title.

11 minutes ago, urbanecowboy said:

I can’t say he’s ever going to be my cup of tea but I can say he’s a heck of a lot better than somebody like Gargano

I used to love Gargano, but like Ciampa, he's stale as hell now in the NXT setting and would benefit enormously from a change of scenery - even if he inevitably isn't used as well. 

I hope Mcafee sticks around even if it's just a couple matches. Him vs Cena or Roman is a money match.

Every match tonight was too long but that's the norm these days. Some really great individual performances tonight from Dakota, Thatcher, Dunne and Priest. I'm hoping Dakota is Billie Kay's tag partner on Friday vs Riott Squad. Raquel doesn't need her and she's done all that she can do in NXT besides win the title.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Using War Pigs by Black Sabbath as the hype video for War Games is just incredible.   Almost goosebump inducing

Trying to think when was the last time a babyface team had the advantage.   almost never happens 

The MLW one a couple of years ago had the babyface team win the flip, and then some chicanery to flip it back.