Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Danny Hodge

Al

One of the great wrestling legends, so far as the reverence his peers, old time fans, and historians afforded him, because unfortunately there is next to nothing footage wise out there. There are Florida clips from the early 70s, footage from the "Wrestling Queen" movie from 1973 and what else? His career ended after a car wreck in 1976. As a wrestler at OU he was truly legendary, even appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated at one point. He was also a Gold Gloves boxer. Also known for having legendary strength. So, yeah, a legend

RIP

In 1975 , I was 14 years old .Like almost every teenage boy I watch Wrestling on WHBQ  Channel 13. The show was always live. One Saturday Lance Russell bought out a newcomer to the territory by the name of Danny Hodge. Lance gave us Hodge's impressive resume. After that Danny Hodge crushed a whole  apple with his hand . Then he proceeded to break a pair of wire pliers with his bare hands. Then we saw he wrestle and everyone knew that Hodge could beat anyone at  anytime . The man was a physical marvel .I have watched wrestling since 1970 and Danny Hodge and Lou Thesz were the two greatest  in ring talents that i have ever seen . I would put Jack Brisco right behind those two. However what separate Hodge from the pack was not his wrestling ability , which was second to none, it was was his superhuman like strength  and athleticism  .You had to see Danny Hodge live to really appreciate his amazing talents.

I believe that Mister Hodge was something like 42 and 0 in NCCA matches. Hodge was never taken of his feet in NCAA competition .The man won a  Silver Medal . Hodge had multiple  runs a NWA JR. Champion  . The man was a true legend. May he rest in power.

3 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

One of the great wrestling legends, so far as the reverence his peers, old time fans, and historians afforded him, because unfortunately there is next to nothing footage wise out there. There are Florida clips from the early 70s, footage from the "Wrestling Queen" movie from 1973 and what else? His career ended after a car wreck in 1976. As a wrestler at OU he was truly legendary, even appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated at one point. He was also a Gold Gloves boxer. Also known for having legendary strength. So, yeah, a legend

RIP

Danny Hodge was probably a truly great pro wrestler. We have plenty of reasons to think he was and no reason to think he wasn’t. I really hope some day we get lucky enough to find out for sure.

Is there a more famous wrestler post-1950 that we have less footage of? I watched 10 minutes of him against Gerry Brisco in Georgia from 1973 and he was damn good. Loved the shoot-y, amateur nature at the beginning. Hodge being the visiting champ, roughhoused & cowered as a heel. Great ten minutes, loved the airplane spin finish. Danny Hodge definitely seems like a dude right up my alley. The tales of his grip strength are legendary. Rest In Peace, Danny Hodge.