Pro Wrestling Only

Herb Abrams UWF - help sought

thebrainfollower2

So one of my fellow podcasters has requested an episode featuring Herb Abrams UWF.  I've seen the PPV shows and a few episodes but this isn't a territory I know that much about.  What would you suggest I include for some of the best or most famous (infamous) moments in UWF history?  Looking for about an hour of footage or so.  Thanks so much!

Here's one of the more notorious moments in the promotion's history.

I'll copy what I wrote in the Dark Side of the Ring thread:

I've seen it alleged that Abrams paid Williams extra to rough Ray up because he mistakenly believed that Ray was fooling around with his wife. Or because Ray screwed him on a drug deal. Or both. I've also seen it suggested that it was simply a matter of Williams not liking how stiff Ray was working and stiffing him back as a receipt. Watching the match, the latter explanation seems more plausible to me. When Williams took Ray down a couple of times after Ray tagged him with some kicks to the head, it seemed like he was trying to warn Ray to loosen up. That evidently didn't work, so Doc started laying into him. That doesn't explain Ray taking a swing at Abrams when Abrams whispered something in his ear after the match, though.

On a lighter note, Abrams also had Doc squash a jobber named Davey Meltzer.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to Herb Abrams UWF - help sought
35 minutes ago, JRH said:

I thought Williams vs Bigelow at Beach Brawl was pretty solid, maybe the best UWF match.

Williams vs. Sid from Blackjack Brawl is also shockingly solid, especially when you consider they busted part of the ring early. I think Sid was trying to prove he could be a good boy to get back to the big leagues. He works a good match and takes some good bumps.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I've seen it alleged that Abrams paid Williams extra to rough Ray up because he mistakenly believed that Ray was fooling around with his wife. Or because Ray screwed him on a drug deal. Or both. I've also seen it suggested that it was simply a matter of Williams not liking how stiff Ray was working and stiffing him back as a receipt. Watching the match, the latter explanation seems more plausible to me. When Williams took Ray down a couple of times after Ray tagged him with some kicks to the head, it seemed like he was trying to warn Ray to loosen up. That evidently didn't work, so Doc started laying into him. That doesn't explain Ray taking a swing at Abrams when Abrams whispered something in his ear after the match, though.

I kinda hope the wife story is true just because I can't imagine someone would be dumb enough to think being stiff with Steve f'n Williams would end well for him. 

There's a 90 min show on Amazon Prime called 'Blood, Sweat and Brusies' - which is a comp of UWF matches you may want to check out. It's got a couple of the matches from Blackjack Brawl others have referenced. It's a fun watch if you've got an hour or so to spare. A young Cactus Jack comes across really well. 

On 12/30/2020 at 1:53 PM, joeg said:

By far the most fascinating Dark Side of the Ring episode... "The man died doing what he loved, cocaine and hookers"

Interviewer: What do you think Herb Abrams would be doing now?

Mick Foley: Time. (Laughter) Herb Abrams would be doing time.

54 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Interviewer: What do you think Herb Abrams would be doing now?

Mick Foley: Time. (Laughter) Herb Abrams would be doing time.

Another great Foley quote was when he was asked if he thought Herb faked his death, and his answer was he didn't think so since there's no way Herb would have been able to keep quiet all these years.