Pro Wrestling Only

WWE suspends TEN wrestlers

Bix

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Ken Kennedy the biggest douchebag in pro wrestling right now or what? After playing company stooge to the point of embarrassment, it comes out he was getting drug shipments up to February 2007.

He was working the gimmick, brother.

The really hilarious thing about this is that there were so many opportunities to clean the company up. WCW folding, Eddy Guerrero's death, and the rise of UFC all offered really obvious chances to make a clean break. Given their history I'm pretty sure you're going to see Funaki and Nova headlining PPVs under "Rep. Fag Waxman" and "Rep. Queer Davis" gimmicks at some point.

The best is how Kennedy went to Stephanie to ask if he could respond to TEH EVIL MEDIA~!, get told no, then go to Vince because he just HAD to get his side of the story out (BAH GAWD!).

Doesn't anyone in the whole company ever stop for just a second to see how a grand majority of the reason they have the rep they do is because of how they respond in cases like this?

The most horrible thing that could happen to company takes place, and they can only react by sending guys out making hilariously false statements and trying to kayfabe the real world as if the news was just another segment on RAW.

Rey has been named, just not in these articles.

It's still not known who is suspended.

And no, things won't be back to normal in three months. Many thought things would be back to normal after Benoit's toxicology report came back. Things aren't back to normal. They're not going to be anytime soon, if ever. This is a far bigger scandal than anything that has ever hit wrestling, and it's going to take quite a while to move past it.

Guest BilJim2

I know everyone here and on most wrestling boards has picked up on Kennedy's hypocrisy, but do you think the actual media will pick up on it as well? I sure hope so.

And no, things won't be back to normal in three months. Many thought things would be back to normal after Benoit's toxicology report came back. Things aren't back to normal. They're not going to be anytime soon, if ever. This is a far bigger scandal than anything that has ever hit wrestling, and it's going to take quite a while to move past it.

Nah, you're blowing it out of proportion. Problem is, not many people actually care.

And when I said 'back to normal', I meant Raw will be the same product we're getting now, with the same wrestlers, and people will have forgotten about this.

People still haven't forgotten about the steroid trial, and that was in 1994.

This is much bigger. The congressional hearings will still be going on at that time, and there will probably at least one other death, as sad as it is to say.

Thinking this is going away is just wishful thinking. Maybe the issue of 10 suspensions won't matter as much by that time, but the issue of drug use in pro wrestling, government intervention and the fallout from the Benoit tragedy is not going to calm down for a long time.

WWE will continue on one hand enforcing their drug policy because they know they're being watched (which discourages steroid use among wrestlers), while on the other hand only pushing people who look a certain way (which encourages steroid use among wrestlers). As long as the mixed messages continue, this is going to stay around.

As for how long this will remain a big story outside of wrestling, that's hard to say. But it's a big story to wrestling for a long time.

The steroid trial, Vince's indictment, the sex scandals, etc. was a 3-year story, arguably longer because of the effect WWE felt after the trial was over for another 2-3 years. If it took years for things to get back to normal then, it's certainly going to now.

WWE's history of stalling and obfuscating in response to outside pressure is so strong that I assume suspending ten wrestlers is the least they thought they could get away with right now. Loss is right, this has barely started up. One important thing is that the wall of silence among current WWE employees has held up well, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see guys currently under contract complaining about agents encouraging them to do drugs.

I also can't believe they fired Sylvan Grenier. That's about the last guy I'd fire right now. (GAY SCANDAL ROCKS WRESTLING: 'I WAS VINCE MCMAHON'S RIGHT-HAND MAN'S BOY TOY,' says wrestler Sylvan Grenier, whose revelations about cocaine-fueled sex orgies in WWE's staid corporate offices...) As bad as these drug scandals are, when they start metastasizing and taking in sex scandals, it's just going to get worse. We have to be near the point where the wrong shoe dropping would lead to the cancellation of TV contracts.

Guest Some Guy

I don't have the least bit of sympathy for any of the suspended guys or Vince. They brought it all on themselves. While Vince had nothing to do with the Benoit murders he certainly was in part responsible for the deaths of Eddy, Pillman, etc... because he created a culture of drug abuse in his company. He is the one who chose to push big guys and encouraged the high risk style that has led to insane amounts af neck injuries, amongst others that leads to pain killer abuse and addiction. He is the one who chose to selectively enforce his Wellness Poilicy and only only punish/fire lower level guys and not the HHH's, Taker's, and Booker T's who are clearly on something. If he had just enforced the policy they could at least make a legitimate claim that they were trying to clean the company up proactively. Now they are forced to suspend main eventers because of evidence that has come out and been made very public.

He made his bed and no whas to lie in it. The sad thing is that this will all blow over in a few years when the next Stone Cold comes around and gets teenagers to care about wrestling again.

WWE needs their own Hector Garzas or at least some road agents that are only on board for steroids and can be axed easily in cases like this.

If memory serves, Funaki is HBK's neighboor and helps run his gym in San Antonio.

Nova was a head of developmental.

Nova invented the drug mule?

We have to be near the point where the wrong shoe dropping would lead to the cancellation of TV contracts.

I get the online version of the Multichannel News (think WON for the TV industry) emailed daily, and today's headline was about the WWE suspensions. Considering they've been pimping Bonnie Hammer getting inducted in the Broadcasting and Cable HOF, this has to be a little embarrassing for her.