Pro Wrestling Only

WWE-NJPW working relationship in the works

Jmare007

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-njpw-discussing-partnership-no-indication-current-status-342576

WWE president Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE becoming NJPW's exclusive American partner.

Dave Meltzer reported in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter that talks regarding the potential partnership date back to March or early April, but there's no indication where the discussions are currently at. If talks go anywhere, the deal would include WWE sending talent, including top stars, to work in NJPW.

NJPW has normally worked with Ring of Honor as their American partner. During the pandemic, however,  NJPW has also formed relationships with All Elite Wrestling and Impact Wrestling. Yuji Nagata appeared earlier this month on AEW Dynamite and Satoshi Kojima appeared on this week’s episode of Impact Wrestling.

Meltzer wrote the following:

In what could end up being among the biggest wrestling stories of the year, or a non-story, depending on the end result, Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE being the exclusive American partner with the promotion. Right now New Japan has been working with AEW (KENTA, Yuji Nagata, Rocky Romero and Ren Narita plus Jon Moxley working New Japan Strong) and Impact (Juice Robinson, David Finlay, El Phantasmo and Satoshi Kojima) and has had a relationship with CMLL and ROH, but things have slowed down with those companies since COVID.

Obviously there are a million questions regarding such a deal if it was to happen, and there are no indications where talks are at past they date back to late March or early April. But it would include WWE sending talent and WWE top stars being allowed to work in New Japan if talks go anywhere. With Khan, the former isolationist attitude of WWE vs. everyone is changing with the idea WWE is part of the wrestling landscape and not separate from the pro wrestling landscape. Obviously it’s also to keep New Japan, which pre-pandemic was the third strongest company in the world, away from working with other companies which could strengthen the opposition and also be a factor with WWE gunning for the same talent as other companies because there is a percentage of younger talent that grew up on watching New Japan either via tape or YouTube where working there is a much bigger part of their career goals than the prior generation, and AEW talent has been willing to allow its talent to work outside its walls and Impact would allow talent to work with other promotions.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Bryan could have his wish come true then :lol:

Very interesting turn of events. I think WWE's roster is full of people that could do wonders in New Japan but even if this goes through, history has shown us that Vince is never able to sustain a working relationship with a Japanese promotion for a long time. But Nick Khan is doing the talking and there's been rumors he's been given a lot more power than his predecessors so who knows?

I'd be happy with at least 1 great G-1 Climax to be honest.

What a fucking depressing news. I was so exited when AEW and New Japan started working together. I couldn’t wait to see Okada, Naito and Ibushi on Dynamite. 

The promotion that kept me a wrestling fan along with Noah and ROH in the 2000/2010 working with wwe? I know this is not official but I really feel deflated. McMahon ruining wrestling for me again. This is such horseshit. At least I will save money by dropping new Japan world. 

10 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

What a fucking depressing news. I was so exited when AEW and New Japan started working together. I couldn’t wait to see Okada, Naito and Ibushi on Dynamite. 

The promotion that kept me a wrestling fan along with Noah and ROH in the 2000/2010 working with wwe? I know this is not official but I really feel deflated. McMahon ruining wrestling for me again. This is such horseshit. At least I will save money by dropping new Japan world. 

It's interesting how I feel the exact opposite. AEW working with New Japan didn't do much for me (aside from Shota having a prominent role in Dynamite and Miro working a G-1) but WWE sending some talent there feels like a breath of fresh air for NJ's product. Not only it would possible mean more variety with some main events but also showcasing people that could mesh really fucking well with NJPW's house style and that would feel much more fresh than AEW guys working against New Japan guys.

17 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

This. I hope this doesn't happen, NJPW guys have *nothing* to gain working that dumpster fire that is WWE. Sure, some WWE guys in NJPW I guess would be cool (I mean, Daniel Bryan and the like, not the Miz), but AEW working with them is so much better on all front.

Yano has been unbearable in the last two years. So yeah, a team with Miz would fit, indeed.

On the other hand, if that would mean in the end AEW getting a relationship with NOAH, why the fuck not. Omega vs Marufuji ? Mox vs Shiozaki ? The Great fucking Muta teaming with Sting ? Well, they are worse things that could happen. I mean, pro-wrestling is more fun when you get interpromotional stuff anyway. But the idea that WWE would know how to book a NJPW guy is the most laughable thing ever. They can't even book their own american talent right. On the other hand, they can totally take Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa away from NJ. Like, please ?

I guess I don't really see these relationship from the POV of how would the Japanese talent do in the U.S because I don't really care as I barely watch current U.S wrestling anyway. I'm all about how it does for the Japanese product because that's what I care about :D

19 minutes ago, El-P said:

Yano has been unbearable in the last two years. So yeah, a team with Miz would fit, indeed.

On the other hand, if that would mean in the end AEW getting a relationship with NOAH, why the fuck not. Omega vs Marufuji ? Mox vs Shiozaki ? The Great fucking Muta teaming with Sting ? Well, they are worse things that could happen. I mean, pro-wrestling is more fun when you get interpromotional stuff anyway. But the idea that WWE would know how to book a NJPW guy is the most laughable thing ever. They can't even book their own american talent right. On the other hand, they can totally take Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa away from NJ. Like, please ?

Can you imagine Jay White loosing via voodoo leg cramps or getting eaten by fucking zombies? I find it hilarious when I hear about crap like this on WOR but please, for the love of god, keep new Japan away from this clown show of a wrestling promotion. 

I understand how people who watches wwe are excited but since I don’t give two shits about wwe or it’s wrestlers, it’s awful to me. Just awful. 

20 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I guess I don't really see these relationship from the POV of how would the Japanese talent do in the U.S because I don't really care as I barely watch current U.S wrestling anyway. I'm all about how it does for the Japanese product because that's what I care about :D

From that POV, I understand because although I can't stand WWE and the style, there are still shitload of super talented workers there, so *them* showing up in NJPW and being able to let loose over there, yeah, that'd be fun if they aren't already dead inside.

But there's enough guys from AEW I'd like to see work NJPW so... Plus of course :

11 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

Can you imagine Jay White loosing via voodoo leg cramps or getting eaten by fucking zombies?

No. NO !!!!! Well, I doubt that would happen, but again, I don't any NJPW guy doing good in Titanland. Yeah, they would sure get Suzuki or Ishii's style, for sure... Maybe Okada can have a Mania Moment against Shane McMahon...

I get what WWE gets out of it, they slow AEW's growth and prevent NJPW from potentially expanding further into North American markets. NJPW needs places in the UK and USA to send young lions for excursions that will do a better job developing young talent than TNA, ROH, and Rev Pro have done. I could see NXT and NXT UK filling those needs. However I can't think of a single instance where WWE honored a working relationship with a smaller promotion and didn't chisel them out of talent or resources. 

7 minutes ago, joeg said:

I get what WWE gets out of it, they slow AEW's growth and prevent NJPW from potentially expanding further into North American markets. NJPW needs places in the UK and USA to send young lions for excursions that will do a better job developing young talent than TNA, ROH, and Rev Pro have done. I could see NXT and NXT UK filling those needs. However I can't think of a single instance where WWE honored a working relationship with a smaller promotion and didn't chisel them out of talent or resources. 

Exactly. This is wwe trying to stop two promotions from growing in the US because god forbid that we have some alternatives to watch. Again, this is me personally, but the last time I felt like this was the day the WCW buy was confirmed.  

There is nothing that wwe can do with New Japan guys that could be better than Don Callis and delusional Kenny Omega bragging that they just beat two of the best AEW wrestlers and that no one can stop him. Then, coin drop and rainmakers appear on the screen. Nothing...

One of my group chats talked about this and made an interesting point:

Nick Khan just might save WWE from itself if he can last until Vince croaks...but do we really want a stronger WWE?  Imagine most of us would say no, myself included...though at least i think the worldwide landscape would be better equipped to deal with that now than it has been in a long time.

AEW is willing to work with just about anyone. 

WWE is just trying to squash any kind of alternative. NJPW has nothing to gain from this, no one in WWE means more than Omega or Mox would in NJPW. 

On the other hand, I'm thinking, does this mean the ill-advised NXT Japan plan is dead once and for all ? They tried to buy NOAH last year, didn't they ?

12 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I just wanna fantasy book some shit, man.

EVIL being Bray Wyatt's master is the needle in the arm this business needs.

Ibushi fighting against Alexa Bliss' stand powers that give cramps, Roppongi 3K going against Street Profits etc.

Literally speaking :lol:

Funny thing, Ibushi could probably have a great match working against Alexa Bliss and her powers. He's the guy who has a great match against a stuffed animal.