Pro Wrestling Only

Rhodes to the Top Megathread

KawadaSmile

I finally watched the first episode... 

My thoughts:

The first half is dominated by mostly rasslin', which is great for us but isn't going to attract non-fans. The second half is dominated by baby talk and a baby shower. However, by the time the show gets there, I strongly suspect the viewers who aren't familiar with AEW would have already tuned out by then.

Cody and Brandi should never try to act "cutesy," "edgy," or "witty" because it doesn't work for them at all. They absolutely cannot pull it off.

Cody's sister comes across terribly, which makes me wonder why people's family members willingly sign up to do these shows.

The wrestling focus is on Cody's "patriotic" promo against Ogogo, which came across as clunky here, but Cody hyped it positively and Brandi shed tears during it. Tony K. looked like he was holding in a shit.

There's also some stuff about Ricky Starks breaking his neck, the ensuing drama of Jade slapping Velvet too hard, and Brandi's executive role.

Overall, if you are predisposed to disliking Cody and Brandi, this won't change your mind. I like them, but I do think there's less mainstream polish here than we see with Total Divas/Bellas and Miz and Mrs. 

Long story short : garbage.

Ok, let me preface this by saying that Reality TV (which is the most oxymoronic name possible for this kind of show) is garbage period. I have no idea why people even watch that kind of format, it's 100% fake, it's empty, it's ugly and pretty much is all about obnoxious rich people getting more famous because they are obnoxious rich people. 

Now, as far as this show goes, the few behind the scenes stuff at AEW shows is pretty cool (Mox being "hangover as hell", the Darby stuff, Coach Tony K. looking like an owl in disbelief when Cody was cutting his promo, which in retrospect is absolutely the Promo of Death as far as his character goes, although the gender reveal and shit was bad already), but it's not really what it's about, so I'm not sure why it would appeal in masse to the AEW audience who has already so much stuff to watch. 

Cody & Brandi surely need to turn heel, because this won't help their case, with the permanent self-importance and putting themselves over. 

As far as the "Real TV" bullshit, I'm telling you, I did fast forward through a bunch of stuff because it's just unbearable to me. I have zero interest in fake discussions between family members about this or that. I don't give a flying fuck about the lives of rich people, wrestlers, actors, TV stars, whatever. Gotta say this, the baby shower stuff looks like the 6th circle of hell to me.

Yeah, Cody's sister is the heel, we get it. It shows that she's totally playing the part too.

But the main thing I get from this, is that it goes against pretty much everything AEW is all about in term of their approach of pro-wrestling. AEW is all about being more organic, non scripted promos, letting stuff occur in a way that flows, and that show is exactly the opposite. There's nothing faker than a "reality TV" show. Case in point, that stuff with the wine tasting (what a joke too) at the end, which is your typical Real TV crap, comes off incredibly fake, scripted and non-organic, basically absolutely like a WWE segment. And since it's not supposed to be a rassslin angle, well, makes everyone involved look bad. 

Anyway. This is the expected run-of-the-mill reality TV garbage. I doubt it will help AEW in the slightest (I can't see any pro-wrestling AEW fan wanting to watch that every week despite the little bits of cool backstage stuff, and I can't see how this will attract anyone not already a pro-wrestling fan and make them want to watch AEW which will remain what it is, a promotion where Minoru Suzuki can pop up at anytime and get a huge pop ie, a hardcore pro-wrestling promotion at heart). At best it can get Cody & Brandi big time heel heat on the show, but they already are getting booed like crazy, so...

(interestingly enough, no mention *at all* of the Young Bucks or Kenny Omega, to the point someone not familiar with the promotion would have no idea they even exist or also are EVPs (and really now, isn't Omega the one working with the woman, really ?), which is kinda odd but not really. I wonder if we'll get some shit about this stuff on BTE now...)

4 hours ago, El-P said:

I doubt it will help AEW in the slightest (I can't see any pro-wrestling AEW fan wanting to watch that every week despite the little bits of cool backstage stuff, and I can't see how this will attract anyone not already a pro-wrestling fan and make them want to watch AEW which will remain what it is, a promotion where Minoru Suzuki can pop up at anytime and get a huge pop ie, a hardcore pro-wrestling promotion at heart).

History suggests the opposite. Total Divas and Total Bellas played a major role in drawing female viewers to WWE at a time when male viewership was collapsing. The target audience for this show isn't wrestling fans. It's women who watch reality TV and wouldn't normally be interested in wrestling. For all of AEW's success, it continues to struggle with women viewers. And Cody fits the mold of the pretty-boy type that has traditionally drawn women to wrestling. If it works, great. If it doesn't, no big deal. Either way, it's not the kind of thing to get worked up over since it's easy to ignore if you don't like it.

10 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

History suggests the opposite. Total Divas and Total Bellas played a major role in drawing female viewers to WWE at a time when male viewership was collapsing. 

Indeed. But when was that ? What was WWE's product at the time ? Not *anything* like what AEW is today. Which is why I mentioned that AEW's tv shows weren't gonna change (because that would threaten the audience they actually build upon and are almost already beating WWE with). It's still gonna be what it is today aka a pretty hardcore pro-wrestling show where you can see long match with people bashing their brains out, not to mention the occasional (?) blood and guts. The fact Total Divas and Total Bella could actually attract an audience toward WWE's PG, homogenized product back in the mid-10's doesn't mean the same kind of show translate to AEW's product which is *way different* in pretty much every way. I just don't see this happening. Hey, if I'm wrong and they get female viewers out of it, more power to them, as long as it doesn't change what I get from AEW as far as a pro-wrestling product goes. (part of me also thinks it's a bit patronizing to believe only a shit show like this would attract female viewers too, but that's another thing, I believe you can actually get a female pro-wrestling fans audience)

If the idea is to attract outside female fans, the first half of the show - which was almost strictly rasslin' - may have been great for us, but anyone else would have tuned out by the time they made the baby shower, etc. the focus in the second half. Even then, I can't see the boring baby shower and Cody's heel sister attracting those female viewers either.

As far as fake shit goes, the Jade-Velvet convo in particular seemed like really bad acting. 

• 4 weeks later...

Started catching up on the show today. It's fine. Cody comes off a little goofy but okay. Feels like they're in part trying to respectfully tell a story and in part trying to do standard reality TV, and so it never quite finds the groove. But it also looks like the ratings were pretty solid - guessing we get more of it at some point.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...