Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - October 27, 2021

MoS

I didn't like the match itself, but Hangman pretending to be marshmallow man and that reveal worked for me cuz it's Hangman, and it makes absolute sense that he would hang in that dumbass costume for that long cuz he loves his dork friends and he feels bad about making them fight and want to make it right with a big victory. I hope they use this to take the Elite and Dark Order out of the way and focus the last build of the PPV for Omega-Page. 

Loved Kingston's promo and MJF's promo too.... I've said it before those are the two most relatable characters in wrestling, everybody knows an Eddie Kingston and everybody knows an MJF. Cody's promo was actively bad. The main event was what it it was. I'm not a fan of stuff being silly for the sake of things being silly. If something is going to make me laugh, it needs to be airtight. I can't laugh at things that I can spot holes in. To me its like a bad party magician, its just hard to buy in. For example, why did Cutler simply not remove the duct tape? His hands were free. Why does a plastic Halloween costume proton pack lay guys out like a steel chair? There were a dozen things like that in the match. If I'm preoccupied by the gaps in logic, I can't relax enough to laugh. Its one of those things where as long as I don't think too hard, I can enjoy it. 

Cody's promo was truly weird. The only similar thing I can think of is the promo where Cena literally turned his heel on the mat and trolled fans begging for a heel turn. Except Cody isn't likeable at all and nothing he can do is going to get people popping for him like they would when Cena would really turn it on and do some cool bad ass spot or beat down and everyone who would normally be screaming Cena sucks were 100% behind him in the moment. Cody sure ain't John Cena but that's what it felt like he was trying to position himself as. I really have no idea where this is going. The whole thing felt like it was an attempt to acknowledge every single complaint fans have about him and try to garner sympathy for him, but I sure don't see that happening anytime soon. He would probably be best served to just take 3-6 months off and try to capitalize on the lights out return pop. 

I might be giving him too much credit, but  I don't think Cody is th's  delusional.  Having Andrade point out (correctly, not even in a heel way) that the people there didn't like him made it clear he is doing a "John Cena but not self aware" gimmick where he's a heel that 100% believes he's a babyface. Like not a heel who knows he's a heel and is just acting like a good guy to be irritating, I think Cody's gimmick here is supposed to be a heel who believes he's honestly a good guy. Maybe it's his way of doing meta commentary on WWE or something. Who knows, but it clearly seems intentional.

Yeah, Cody knows what he's doing. He's deliberately trying to create that Cena dynamic for himself. He isn't the most over babyface, he isn't the most over heel and he isn't the best worker, so his way of standing out is to be polarising. The second he does a real turn, beats down Arn and cuts a promo on the fans is the second he gets cheered again because he's giving people what they want.

On 10/29/2021 at 1:13 AM, Stiva said:

The end game of this has to be him reneging on his promise, challenging for the World Title and cheating to win it, right? Not that I can see a path to it for him with Page, MJF, Danielson and Moxley all in the running ahead of him

I think Cody vs Hangman would have a lot of juice given their history.