Pro Wrestling Only

Oh man, WWE is possibly fucked now

sek69

Cena is as obviously juiced up as Lashley. They're both guys with top 1% of 1% genetics on state of the art steroids. The only difference is that one is white, so people buy his "chicken breasts and kale juice" bullshit.

So apparently the best WWE could come up with is having Orton do the Stunning Steve job to HHH.

Well I guess he held the belt longer than Andre at least.

And then won it back in a potential WWE MOTY

So apparently the best WWE could come up with is having Orton do the Stunning Steve job to HHH.

I like how the main event being a good match gets people to ignore the nonsensical path it took to get there. Seriously, what was the point of giving Orton the belt and having him lose it and win it the same night? They could have had the main event they did without all the other bullshit. That was some very TNA-ish booking that will get completely no-sold by the masses because HHH lost in the end and the match was good.

I like how the main event being a good match gets people to ignore the nonsensical path it took to get there. Seriously, what was the point of giving Orton the belt and having him lose it and win it the same night? They could have had the main event they did without all the other bullshit. That was some very TNA-ish booking that will get completely no-sold by the masses because HHH lost in the end and the match was good.

While I concur with this sentiment completely, shouldn't nonsensical booking be considered the norm more than the exception in this day and age?

There's a reasonwhy people ignore the path and focus on the end result, after all....conditioning.

For the paying customer, it was an intriguing roller coaster of a PPV, and I think when it was all said and done people got their monies worth.

Titles in wrestling have very little value as it is, but it still irks me to see them outright being devalued. There wasn't any real reason to put it on HHH if it was going right back to Orton. What' so hard about Vince telling HHH he only gets his title shot if he beats Umaga? HHH/Orton still goes down in the ME, and HHH has the excuse of already having worked a match in the evening as to at least partially why he lost.

See, this is what kind of annoys me about the internet. If a TNA or ROH ppv had the exact same booking, people would be pissed off. The internet would not have been able to contain the amount of bitching. Of course neither TNA or ROH would have a match of that caliber ending one of their shows.

I know it's passe` to complain about HHH, but the way he's been booked since his latest return has been pretty ridiculous when you consider the only guy who's been booked to look strong against him has been Vince.

It was done for two reasons: 1) So creative can justify their job by taking a path to the title that's never been done before, and 2) So HHH could beat the new champion, and then win two matches on one show before doing his first job since coming back from surgery, making him look like the uncrowned champion who only lost because he worked three times on one show. Not to be one of "those guys," but this looked like a show really built around HHH's ego more than anything else, and with Cena out for an extended period of time, Raw will be the HHH Show for the foreseeable future.

In this case, I'm much less cynical. I think they knew that because they were advertising a John Cena main event they couldn't deliver, and they weren't ready to debut Jericho yet, they had to put together a show to make people feel like they got their money's worth, so they went all out and did two title changes and three HHH matches. If anything, HHH got more out of winning and then losing the title than he would have simply winning it, and Orton got more out of beating HHH cleanly -- as a heel, mind you -- than he would have had the title change been done another way. They did the best with what they had, which was basically HHH, Orton and no other main event guys until Jericho comes in and the HHH/Kennedy feud takes off (if that's still planned).

Take away all the "he's fucking the boss's daughter" smarky stuff and here's what you have:

Popular babyface champion gets screwed out of the title by heels.

It's plain old wrestling booking, folks.

Addressing the original topic, losing Cena hurts some things but I don't think it's an incredibly damaging blow to the company. Cena can still move merchandise while injured. A dvd release for example would sate the fans' appetites and make money. On the larger picture, WWE has created an environment where the name of the company draws more than any individual wrestler. I don't think there's a single individual save Vince McMahon himself whose loss would seriously harm the company.

Guest The Unholy Dragon

It was done for two reasons: 1) So creative can justify their job by taking a path to the title that's never been done before, and 2) So HHH could beat the new champion, and then win two matches on one show before doing his first job since coming back from surgery, making him look like the uncrowned champion who only lost because he worked three times on one show. Not to be one of "those guys," but this looked like a show really built around HHH's ego more than anything else, and with Cena out for an extended period of time, Raw will be the HHH Show for the foreseeable future.

Explain to me how that isn't smart booking?

It establishes a setup for a LONG feud with a strong start and MOTYC off the bat.

Moreover, it proves right off the bat that the face CAN beat the heel in a fair landscape, making the chase all the more heated.

Honestly, it comes off to me like a modern version of a Southern angle from the 80s.

Face is horribly screwed despite deserving the title, heel looks strong for beating him down but without the odds stacked against him, the face would have won, face chases the heel...

Simple and effective feud layout. Untraditional start.

All in all, good stuff in my opinion.

Take away all the "he's fucking the boss's daughter" smarky stuff and here's what you have:

Popular babyface champion gets screwed out of the title by heels.

It's plain old wrestling booking, folks.

That is the long short of things; it was just wrestling booking. Stuff like this has happened before, and having a PPV with a story can usually help things out when there is a slump (which there is). They got backed into a wall and knew they had to deliver somehow, and they did.

People would absolutely bitch if TNA pulled something similar, because honestly, TNA couldn't pull it off. The recent Angle-fest's problem was that he held every title in the entire company and that the booking was just so not fun to watch. While WWE did it and kept it fun and interesting.