Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 12/14 - 12/17 Winter is Coming and Stuff

The Thread Killer

If Sasha signs with AEW expect backstage "reports" about how Sasha is being difficult and ornery, how she is not liked in the locker room, etc. People immediately assume that the Elite spread such rumours, but Jericho has been talking to Meltz and the dirtsheets for 30+ years now, since before his debut. It sometimes amazes me that Meltzer often just takes him at his word and doesn't do the due diligence required to verify his account of events. 

Speaking of new signings, this episode was a LOT better paced and formatted than typical Dynamite episodes are, and that might have something to do with Kevin Dunn's long-time second-in-command, who has recently signed with AEW. Things were given time to breathe without the show feeling slow, the main event was hyped throughout and the world title match was treated as a big deal- which might be the reason why the last quarter was the first one in ages to gain viewers in the target demo - and every segment hit harder and there were not 5 run-ins and 6 backstage interruptions on the show, something that had become a meme in AEW. I REALLY hope this is a permanent development, because it made the show notably, tangibly better. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, MoS said:

If Sasha signs with AEW expect backstage "reports" about how Sasha is being difficult and ornery, how she is not liked in the locker room, etc.

She's walked out of WWE twice over unhappiness with the booking (and the second time her idea was so terrible any booker in their right mind would have shot it down), so there might be something to that. Given that, I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for why folks here refused believe reports that she pitched a fit backstage over dropping the tag belts at Mania.

People immediately assume that the Elite spread such rumours, but Jericho has been talking to Meltz and the dirtsheets for 30+ years now, since before his debut. It sometimes amazes me that Meltzer often just takes him at his word and doesn't do the due diligence required to verify his account of events. 

What makes you think he does? I thought you would've changed your perspective after you had figured Shibata going into business for himself at WK was an obvious work and Dave was a fool for taking it at face value. For what it's worth, he's said that people are wrong about 90 percent of the time when they try to guess his sources.

31 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

What makes you think he does? I thought you would've changed your perspective after you had figured Shibata going into business for himself at WK was an obvious work and Dave was a fool for taking it at face value. For what it's worth, he's said that people are wrong about 90 percent of the time when they try to guess his sources.

The MVP-Jericho confrontation, where Meltz essentially repeated verbatim what Jericho told him happened in his report of the incident is a good example. I also think a lot of "Punk was a cancer to AEW's locker room" reports came from him, even though many people, including some posters here, assumed they came from the Elite.

33 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

She's walked out of WWE twice over unhappiness with the booking (and the second time her idea was so terrible any booker in their right mind would have shot it down), so there might be something to that. Given that, I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for why folks here refused believe reports that she pitched a fit backstage over dropping the tag belts at Mania.

The fact that it was reported by an outright WWE mouthpiece, combined with the fact that she has never seemed to have a problem doing jobs when asked. She spent most of her years in WWE putting others over and making them look good. Also the verbiage of the report was very over the top - lying on the locker room floor and crying - and both Bayley and Sasha indirectly addressed it in their interviews with Austin

19 hours ago, strobogo said:

He feels like a guy trying very hard to feel like an old school wrestler, but is all schtick and it is completely one note. There's been no evolution or nuance since the first time I saw him in MLW.

Most things in wrestling are kinda one note. MJF is at least partially responsible for basically all of my favorite AEW content of the last year, that’s all I can really judge on.

21 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yup. He seemed to have hit a stride during the Punk feud, but I guess it was just Phil working magic one final time. He's still young, but that may work against him in the long run.

As probably is working 9 matches in 2022 when he's 26. Along with packing on main event muscle and compensating for his height. It seemed to impact his cardio in the latter stages of the match on Wednesday.  

The Danielson match will be a real test as him a Champion and a true main eventer. He's a high stung guy that cares too much so he could psyche himself out and everything. Has too many ideas and ambitions sometimes. 

9 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

(and the second time her idea was so terrible any booker in their right mind would have shot it down)

What was her idea?

9 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Given that, I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for why folks here refused believe reports that she pitched a fit backstage over dropping the tag belts at Mania.

Because it was reported by a TMZ tabloid newz guy in the most ridiculous hyperbolic manner possible.

For someone presented as both a Regal protege and a street fighting tough guy, Moxley's offense looks like shit a lot of the time. His stomps to Guevara's upper chest looked Orange Cassidy before he starts trying tier. I fully support wanting to protect your opponent, but some moves just look terrible if you don't really lay them in. If you're not willing to do that, you're better off eliminating them from your repertoire altogether.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:29 AM, MoS said:

The fact that it was reported by an outright WWE mouthpiece, combined with the fact that she has never seemed to have a problem doing jobs when asked. She spent most of her years in WWE putting others over and making them look good. Also the verbiage of the report was very over the top - lying on the locker room floor and crying - and both Bayley and Sasha indirectly addressed it in their interviews with Austin

In retrospect it was clear building up the women's tag titles was very important to Bayley and Sasha, and it pissed them off that Vince didn't agree. I'm sure it's no coincidence that Bayley has been involved with the titles pretty much exclusively since her return.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

For someone presented as both a Regal protege and a street fighting tough guy, Moxley's offense looks like shit a lot of the time. His stomps to Guevara's upper chest looked Orange Cassidy before he starts trying tier. I fully support wanting to protect your opponent, but some moves just look terrible if you don't really lay them in. If you're not willing to do that, you're better off eliminating them from your repertoire altogether.

OMG thank you. It drives me nuts that Moxley gets presented as some crazy out of control death match brawler, when in fact a good portion of his basic offense looks like weak, fake shit.