Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 12/14 - 12/17 Winter is Coming and Stuff

The Thread Killer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last sequence was very weird but a really good main event, loved the atmosphere. Would've love for them getting a couple more minutes for bigger entrances to make this feel bigger. Regardless, it got the job done and I truly hope Ricky gets big feuds in 2023, just continue to elevate the guy.

I guess Dragon is jobbing to MJF in Seattle. Gotta wonder who steps in for Revolution in March, maybe they do Omega vs MJF?

10 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It just occurred to me how much MJF is very much early 80s peak arrogant douchebag Ric Flair updated to 2022. 

Same template but hard to compare because there's no way for MJF to replicate the credibility that came with being NWA champ. As a kid, I thought Flair was a shithead, but I also thought he was the best. Both components were essential. 

Overall I would say that was an excellent episode of Dynamite. Way more good stuff than bad stuff. Any episode that highlights young talents like Jungle Boy, Hook, Starks, MJF and uh…Action Andretti (?!) is definitely going in the right direction. The Main Event was great and most importantly we got… “Scissor This, Slapnuts” as my new favourite phrase.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Adam Page is entirely unsympathetic to me. His acting skills would fit in perfectly in WWE. His stupid fake crying is getting so old. Bunch of stagey bullshit.

Don't think he was acting there or fake crying at all. The concussion was real and so were his emotions. And as we have seen, before TK botched his title reign to an unimaginable extent, the audience absolutely bought into his character and its arc, and all his emotions. Him and Omega drew some of the highest quarters in AEW history after all.Hopefully he goes over Mox and they start rehabbing him after butchering all his heat on interminably long feuds with midcarders like Adam Cole. 

Really liked this episode of Dynamite, not as good as last week's but still great. The finish of Jungleboy-Brian Cage was a bit botched, but the post-match made up for it. Also not sure what MJF and Starks were trying to do on the couple of powerbomb spots, felt a little botched, but overall the match was great.

Hopefully Dragon brings out something deeper in MJF, the way Punk had. His promo this week was average tbh, and it was quite ironic to listen to him talk about Starks rambling and "taking his time" to get to the point, when in fact, right in that promo, he took like 15 minutes to come to the point, which was not much of a point at all. I feel MJF tries to cosplay Rock (and Flair) a lot more than Starks does.

19 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Has anybody ever actually heard of this kid?

I saw him at a show in April in a four way with Dante Martin, Griffin McCoy and Jordan Oliver. Of course you can guess when my daughter insisted she needed the restroom.

21 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I am already so freaking tired of MJF's weekly "shooty comment, cheap heat, look what a heel I am" paint by numbers promo.

I truly don't get what everyone see's in this guy, and unfortunately I think this reign is going to last for a long, long time.

To me, he is one of the only people in wrestling that feels like an old school wrestler. He has his flaws, but I’m willing to give him a wider latitude than the Adam Pages of the world.

For what it's worth, MJF appears to be a big fan of Okada/Tanahashi at Invasion Attack. The diving double foot stomp on an opponent's arm that is grabbing the top rope he's done in several matches now (including on Wednesday) seems inspired by Tanahashi doing a diving double axehandle to Okada's arm in that match. He also copied Tanahashi slamming Okada's arm into the mat against Starks.

36 minutes ago, strobogo said:

He feels like a guy trying very hard to feel like an old school wrestler, but is all schtick and it is completely one note. There's been no evolution or nuance since the first time I saw him in MLW.

Yup. He seemed to have hit a stride during the Punk feud, but I guess it was just Phil working magic one final time. He's still young, but that may work against him in the long run.

Just now, KawadaSmile said:

how info online is wrong, etc.

I wonder if that had anything to do with Dave casually mentioning Jericho didn't get as much money as you'd have thought for his last main event run there while discussing the possible amount Sasha could get from New Japan.