Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 1/2 - 1/8 Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match

NintendoLogic

I don't watch the weekly TV often but I'm still on winter break so I did catch a good amount of RAW this week.

Alexa/Bianca was not the match I wanted it to be as an Alexa fan.

It was a weird pairing from the jump, at least to me, because Alexa has had one foot in the babyface pool and one obviously in the Fiend mode again for awhile now based on my irregular viewings. Based on their interaction 2 weeks ago (that was replayed prior to the match), the story seemed to me to be that Alexa feels disrespected as a highly-decorated former champion and Bianca is the fighting champion who isn't going to lay down for anyone. Its a dynamic that can work, but fans need to buy into Alexa Bliss as "crafty ring veteran" the way, say, fans can buy into Natalya (or Naomi even at one point) as seasoned pros who can sneak a win over anyone on any given night (even though, more often than not, they don't). Maybe I've missed it, but that just doesn't seem like a role Alexa has ever successfully played or been seen as.

They end up wrestling an okay-at-best match that felt heatless and went too long just to end with Alexa turning heel after being re-programmed via a strobe effect on the TitanTron. A long walk to get nowhere really interesting because it had been telegraphed for weeks. I'm all about giving the women more than 6 minutes to have a match...when the purpose of said match is to be a competitive display of skill. But this match played out more like a really long walk to an underwhelming destination.

As a fan of Alexa and Bianca, I wanted to like this match despite my misgivings, but this was bad writing/bad booking and I hope they just pull these two apart next week and have Alexa do her own thing while Bianca feuds with anyone else. There's just no chemistry between these two as characters or, sadly, even as workers (as much as Bianca's power moves mixed with Bliss' tumbling did result in at least one or two cool spots, it just wasn't enough). Its Rumble season and we know that typically means a few legends may appear soon, why not have some of them do some segments with Bianca? This potential feud with a supernatural Alexa is going to hurt them both. 

Watching Melo vs Apollo and I'm reminded of how when discussing Dragon Lee's NXT deal he mentioned that Apollo is the highest paid person in NXT right now even still. Assuming he was kept at the same money his main roster deal, it really shines a light on how little folks must be getting paid there. 

Wrestling has always been built on spots/moves from the past, it's just that so much footage is available nowadays it's much more obvious than it used to be.  Hell, some of the greats lifted their entire acts from others. Ric Flair got over the hump from being a Mid-Atlantic midcarder to world champ by basically lifting Buddy Rogers' whole deal. Both Hogan and Dusty borrowed liberally from Superstar Billy Graham,  and every territory in the 80s had a Rock n Roll Express knockoff. 

Sounds like Dwayne tried to make a power play and got denied. I am interested to see what the new long term plans are for DC when Gunn unveils them this month. A bit of continuity would be nice. A lot of people are expecting a total DC Universe reboot, and apparently Dwayne Johnson and Black Adam didn’t fit into those plans. Based on how the movie did, I can’t say I blame them.

Smackdown was fucking great tonight! Who's producing/ " writing" the Bloodline story? It's gotta be Heyman, right? The Roman apology swerve was brilliant and made sense! It's been established that HE brought Sami in because he likes him. Then the popcorn bit had me dying. It also told a story! Sami suddenly has popcorn, offers it to Roman who looks annoyed, but Heyman takes a handful.

Next cut Roman has his own bucket because Sami's popcorn smelled good so the Tribal Chief had his own bucket delivered . Then Sami throws popcorn all over Romans dressing room after the Usos win a god damned awesome match against McIntyre and Sheamus.

I haven't laughed that hard at anything in wrestling in years. Fucking amazing.

19 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Wow, the Brazilian police must really be incompetent then!

Maybe the Sting comparison was a bad one. It's more like they are willingfully ignorant, or just conniving, to the whole ordeal. The one responsible for PMDF, the Federal District Police Forces, was in cahoots with Bolsonaro not long ago. It's like expecting Flair to not fuck you over.