Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/24 - Door Ajar

Timbo Slice

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punk vs Kojima is hella random as Kojima has mostly been working AJPW/NOAH in tags for the past year. I don't think he's had a big singles match in NJ since 2021. I liked the idea of MJF actually no showing the match with Tanahashi and Punk stepping in. The time for KENTA vs Punk was ages ago, neither guy is what they were, and I don't think they'd actually mesh very well anyway. Meanwhile, Tana/Punk could do a bunch of Cena spots to pop everyone.

There's so much talent without anything announced just from the AEW side that it's actually fucking wild when you list out the roster they have. I hope there's another wacky Sting/Darby team up this year. Maybe even get Jericho involved so more people can cover up that mess.

Excalibur saying Danielson vs Okada was the "main event" of Forbidden Door took me by surprise. Of course they can still do the ol' "we have two main events" thing and close with Kenny vs Ospreay anyway but it is intriguing that they are teasing an Okada v. Dragon ending.

I honestly don't see any scenario were Kazuchika doesn't win so him closing the PPV with a W and posing would be pretty crazy....and the most King of Sports thing I could imagine in 2023. Wild times indeed.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Excalibur saying Danielson vs Okada was the "main event" of Forbidden Door took me by surprise. Of course they can still do the ol' "we have two main events" thing and close with Kenny vs Ospreay anyway but it is intriguing that they are teasing an Okada v. Dragon ending.

I honestly don't see any scenario were Kazuchika doesn't win so him closing the PPV with a W and posing would be pretty crazy....and the most King of Sports thing I could imagine in 2023. Wild times indeed.

I get it tho, it's the two best wrestlers possibly of all time in a match. It's a "this could never happen" dream match that is actually happening. 

6 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Bryan vs Okada should 100% main event Forbidden Door, that's quite possibly a one in a lifetime match, dammit. Could've been an AEW title match but Tony Khan decided to give a wredditor the top belt. 

I'm sorry you're having trouble coping with the fact that MJF has been more successful as world champion than The Miz ever was, but seething over it every week can't be healthy.

19 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Akin to Hogan rocking a Brutus Beefcake shirt.  Gotta give some shine to the dude who carries your bags.

In that case, he should rock one of these:

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts/acesteel.html

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm sorry you're having trouble coping with the fact that MJF has been more successful as world champion than The Miz ever was, but seething over it every week can't be healthy.

It's fun, bubba. I mean, saying "Max is a better champ than The Miz" sounds like damning with faint praise anyway

MJF is still getting one of the healthiest crowd reactions out of anybody on the roster; he's not really the problem here.

That said, this was a middling go-home Dynamite overall. So much of the booking here felt like TK waiting until the last minute to write his big term paper - it seemed like there were two weeks' worth of storytelling to frantically cram into one show:

- The additions to the Elite/BCC feud were way out of left field and were totally secondary to the actual issue; Eddie's announcement of Ishii as the next guy was almost comical, with Ishii stomping down into the ring to get turbo-squashed in seconds just so they could rush into their big Danielson/Okada confrontation.

- The MJF/Cole segment felt more about establishing their tag team for the upcoming tournament, with the Tanahashi setup being played more like a punchline for Cole than anything meaningful.

- The OC/Shibata/Garcia/Sabre Jr. four-way announcement came out of nowhere and effectively took the steam out of the tag match finish, since nothing about it had really been teased there as a possibility for FD.

- Even the CMFTR/Bullet Club stuff at the top (which, alarmingly, didn't blow the roof off the house in Chicago) built towards the next Collision with virtually nothing cooking for the PPV. In particular, just tossing out CM Punk's first singles match in months as an afterthought for Forbidden Door -- and for the Owen Hart tournament?????? -- seems like a missed opportunity.

Coming off of the inaugural edition of Collision, where the show seemed coherent from bell to bell and willing to let each segment have a singular focus, this episode of Dynamite had some major whiplash. Maybe it's just fresh in my mind because The Lapsed Fan podcast is finishing up their journey through Hogan-era TNA, but this felt very much like an episode of Impact from that time, with every segment being way too pre-occupied with achieving multiple objectives at once (and not really getting any sort of traction on any of them as a result). Sure, Forbidden Door is basically a "dream match" PPV in concept, but AEW still had an opportunity to do better than just throwing matches out there at the last minute, especially if they wanted to draw an audience into that show beyond the diehard fans.

My guess is, like usual, availability became an issue for most talent (KENTA drama notwithstanding) along with the unfamiliarity of mixing Punk back into the fold. It also speaks volumes about how much the shows are laid out: Collision already seems self-sufficient in a lot of ways, whereas Dynamite seems like a place serving many bosses. 

What is interesting is that while the build has been rushed for many matches, it's not like the ticket sales have slowed down or anything. If your venue is almost sold out before you even reveal the complete card, maybe they didn't feel like a great job was needed. If PPV sales are around 100k then it's a huge success regardless of how they let things play out.