Pro Wrestling Only

World Championship Wrestling (1988- )

kevinmcfl

0v6HoOr.png

EPISODE #5

SEPTEMBER 9, 1988

The show starts with a replay from last week when a man wearing a partial black mask, a cowboy hat, chaps and a bull rope hits the ring and attacked Ron Simmons during his match with Black Bart.  “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes rushed to the aid of Ron Simmons and chased Black Bart and the assailant away.  When Dusty went over to David Crockett who informed Dusty that the attacker was a relative of Terry Funk, Rhodes went nuts!    

Now we get the normal intro to World Championship wrestling!

Tony Schiavone:  Hi everybody.  Welcome back to World Championship Wrestling.  Tony Schiavone, Jim Ross and David Crockett ringside here with World Championship Wrestling, the major league of professional wrestling.  As you just saw from last week, a Funk is in WCW and “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes is none too happy about. 

Jim Ross:  That’s right Tony and we will be hearing from both Dusty Rhodes and Jimmy Jack Funk later in the show.  Arn Anderson, Ric Flair and Women will be here to make it official this evening as they introduce Dan Spivey as the newest Horsemen.  The Rock n Roll Express will be in action as will Abdullah the Butcher, The Young Guns (Sam Houston & Kendall Windham), Hacksaw Butch Reed, Dick Murdoch and in our main event it will be “The Fab One” Steve Keirn squares off against Mando Guerrero. 

David Crockett:  That is going to be a great night right here on the Superstation.  We will also have an update on Fall Brawl, Clash of Champions coming up on October 17 in the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg.  I have also been informed that Sting and Lex Luger are in the arena tonight.  Can’t wait to here what they have to say about the new Horsemen.    

MATCH #1

The Rock n Roll Express defeat Allen Martin & Jerry Steiborn after a Double Drop Kick on Martin

After the match, the Rock n Roll Express give a quick promo with David Crockett where they hope to be one of the teams wrestling at Fall Brawl to fill the vacated U.S. Tag Team Titles! 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next match, Jimmy Jack Funk and Black Bart are with David Crockett where Crockett focuses on why Jimmy Jack interfered in Black Bart’s match last week against Ron Simmons and what he thinks about how Dusty Rhodes is very angry that a Funk is here in WCW.

Jimmy Jack Funk:  (With the bull rope around his own neck and basically screaming the entire time)  Dusty Rhodes, I’ve come to WCW to break some bones and snap some necks.  I thought I’d start with that overrated Ron Simmons but what better to a Funk than to destroy that egg-suckin dog, Dusty Rhodes.  You think Dusty has put a bull rope around his own neck just to feel the pain.  I don’t think so.  He hasn’t got what it takes.  He isn’t half as tough as the Funks and if he dares to step in the ring with me or Black Bart, it will be the end of um.

Black Bart:  Daggummit… I told you all Ron Simmons was overrated.  You all saw him lying there in the center of the ring last week during our match…

David Crockett:  That might be because it was 2 against 1.

Black Bart:  Shut up Crockett or else you might get the noose as well.  Simmons… Rhodes… if you two got the guts, we would like nothing else…. (spits tobacco all over the floor) than to beat you two good for nothing lowlifes on national TV at Fall Brawl!  What do ya two say?

David Crockett:  I’d say we’ve heard enough of this.  Let’s get back to the ring.

MATCH #2

Abdullah the Butcher with Gary Hart destroys James Bradley with the end coming after the 400-pound elbow drop.  After the bout, Abbie decided to put some holes in Bradley with the fork.  It took Gary Hart to throw a black towel over Abbie’s head to calm him down and give a bloody Bradley a chance to roll to safety. 

After the bout, Gary Hart and Abdullah are with David Crockett discussing Hart’s pursuit of the 2-million-dollar bounty Sheik Adnan Al Kassie is willing to pay Hart to end the careers of Dr. Death and Ted Dibiase.  Throughout the interview, Abdullah is like an uncontrollable child.  He is eating the microphone, petting Gary Hart’s head and making strange noises.  Hart tried to calm him down on numerous occasions but to no avail.

Gary Hart:  Last week you saw my beasts… Abdooola the Butcha and Tarzan Gooooto stand toe to toe with Ted Dibiase and Steve Williams.  You saw me hold them back.  You saw me take them to the locker room.  Now understand that I am the only person who can control these two monsters, but I took pity on the mothers and children in the stands.  I did not want to scar them for life with the carnage I could have unleashed.  Now everyone in the audience and watching at home, next time I won’t hold them back.  Fathers, you might want to take the children into a different room as The Butcher is going to cut Dibiase and Williams into little pieces.  Everybody, consider yourself warned!  The bounty will be mine!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next match, Dusty Rhodes and Ron Simmons are with David Crockett discussing the Black Blart/Jimmy Jack Funk situation. 

Ron Simmons:  Dusty… I’d just like to thank you for your help last week.  Black Bart… you showed your true colors last week and that color is all yellow!  You’re a coward.  You knew you couldn’t beat me so you had Jimmy Jack Funk waiting to attack.  Dusty …. You are truly one of the good guys around here.  We don’t know each other very well and you came to me aid.  Again… thanks.

Dusty Rhodes:  Ron Simmons… you’re right.  The American Dream doesn’t know you very well but the way you’ve spoken around here the last few weeks… humble… respectful… You are just the type of wrestler we need around here.  So it was my pleasure.  Now let’s get to the real issue at hand … if you willllll!  When I came to that ring, I had no idea that masked creature was a Funk… I’m guessing I should’ve known from that rancid smell coming off that body.  Now Jimmy Jack Funk… I’m sure that no good Uncle of yours… Terry Funk… has spewed lots of garbage about all Dusty to you.  I bet he’s had all the little children sitting around the fire place talking about that egg suckin doooog Dusty Rhodes.  Well as far as I’m concerned.....  I couldn’t care one iota about what Terry Funk or any other Funk has said about me.  What I can tell you Jimmy Jack Funk is that I, the American Dream Dusty Rhodes, is your worst nightmare.  I’m goin stomp a mudhole in you six feet deep and then bury you in it.  A dead Funk is the best Funk.  Now Ron Simmons… it’s going to be me and you at Fall Brawl and we are going to take Black Bart and Jimmy Jack Funk to the woodshed, ya here!

MATCH #3

The Young Guns (Houston & Kendall Windham) defeat The Black Shadows as The Young Guns connected on double running bulldogs after both Shadows used some very questionable tactics.

After the bout Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt are with David Crockett.  Both Eddie and Missy take turns bad mouthing both Rip Rogers and the WCW Television Champion Tom Zenk.  Gilbert again argues that he is the real TV champ and he tries to prove it by showing everyone his defunct Mid-South TV Title.  All this does is bring out Rip Rogers and Ms. Terri.  Missy immediately hides behind Eddie as it is obvious she is in fear of the muscular Ms. Terri.  Terri, while laughing, tells Missy that she isn’t worth her time and not to be worried.  Eddie sticks up for Missy saying that Ms. Terri should be considered the lucky one as Missy could take care of her very easily if she wanted to.  Tom Zenk comes out and lets them all know that he is the real TV champ and that Eddie Gilbert just tells lies after lies while Rip Rogers just lets a girl do all of his fighting for them.  Rip takes offense to this and tells Tom that at least he has the looks and the body to get a woman and all he ever sees is the Z-Man standing alone.  This leads Zenk to challenge both Eddie and Missy along with Rip and Terri to an intergender 6 Triple Threat match next week and if he loses, he will give the belt to whichever team pins him or his partner.  Rip and Eddie quickly accept while Missy screams at Eddie about the fact she isn’t a wrestler.  Next, Rip and Eddie want to know who Zenk’s partner is but he just smiles and walks away. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Woman are with David Crockett where David shows a video from last week of Dan Spivey being named the newest Horsemen.

Ric Flair:  People… the man hunt is over.  The third Horseman has arrived!  We now have the trump card… The Ace is now in our hands!  We now hold the WCW World Title!  We now hold the WCW United States Title!  And we have the Enforcer… capable of beating any wrestler in the World today! 

Arn Anderson:  Come on in here Dan Spivey.  Just when people thought it couldn’t get any better, we added the unstoppable force to our group.  Now we are as near to full strength as possible.  The Horsemen have been and will be the preeminent force in professional wrestling for as long as we want to be. Sting… Lex Luger… Dusty Rhodes… it doesn’t matter who is on the other side of the ring, the Horseman are coming out on top!

Dan Spivey: That’s right Arn.  I’m 6’6, 290 pounds of pure muscle.  I am the real man of steel in WCW and folks… you better learn to like it!  We are taking names and handing out beatings.   

Arn Anderson:  Can you believe it…  Flair has taking care of Luger.  He is nowhere to be seen.  That freak with the face paint, Sting, has called himself the party crasher but I haven’t heard boo from him since Spivey has joined the Horseman… and as for Dusty Rhodes… I think he’s made up some feud with this guy Jimmy Jack Funk just to avoid the new and improved Horsemen.

Suddenly the crowd explodes as Sting and Lex Luger head to the podium.

Sting:  Arn… you said a minute ago that you haven’t heard boo from me since Spivey joined the Horseman.  I guess you must have had a whole lot of ear wax in those dirty ears of yours as I have been screaming from the top of the mountain how Lex and I want you people in the ring.  Ever since you sucker punched me on TV a few weeks ago, I’ve been dreaming about what I would do to you when I got you in the ring and if crashing another one of your Horseman parties gets me that much closer to that much, consider this another crashed party!

Lex Luger:  Congratulations Mr. Spivey.  You are a Horsemen.  I wonder how it feels … to be second choice.  That’s right Spivey.  Even someone as dumb as you can think back just a few weeks when Ric Flair here called me out and asked me to join his precious group.  Even someone like you can remember back two weeks ago when Flair again asked me to join the Horsemen and turn on the Stinger here.  I was asked twice to be a Horsemen.  No tryout needed.  No scouting needed.  Just a flat out offer.  An offer I quickly turned down.  You see, I’m just that much smarter then you.  I knew they just wanted a workhorse.  Arn and Ric here just wanted someone to do their dirty work for them. (You can just tell the Horsemen are fuming)  Now Arn and Ric… you two talk a good game but lets see if you can put your money where your mouth is.  At Fall Brawl, you and Arn vs Sting and me. 

Flair and Arn seem to think they are unstoppable with Spivey in their corner, quickly accept and start to close in on the Sting and Luger…

Luger:  Oh and before you get any ideas of a 3 on 2 attack, I would like to bring out a close friend of mine…. Freebird Terry Gordy!

The fans explode as Bam Bam walks out.  The Horsemen are in a fit of rage but back away and head to the locker room.  As the fan favorites celebrate their moral victories, David Crockett takes us back to the ring.

MATCH #4

Hacksaw Butch Reed dominated Jimmy Del Ray with the end coming after a Military Press Slam.

After the match, Hacksaw Butch Reed, Snowman, and Kareem Muhammed join David Crockett at the podium.

David Crockett:  Hacksaw, I can’t say that I approve of your methods, but you are one great wrestler.

Snowman:  And do you see the improvement each and every week and this all started when he joined Kareem and myself in the Nation of Domination.

Kareem Muhammed:  That’s right Snowman.  Butch, you’ve always been one of the best but now that you are following our lead, you are unstoppable.  I see titles in your future.

Hacksaw Butch Reed:  Hold on just a minute.  I want to make sure I got this all right.  Since joining the Nation and your guidance, I am becoming a better wrestler.

Snowman:  That’s right Brother!  I mean now that you have stopped catering to the authority around here, you are finally at the top of the mountain.

Hacksaw Reed:  Again… not so sure.  Before joining the Nation, I held titles all over the country.  Now, it seems like the only thing better since I joined the Nation, are you two.

Hacksaw heads off as Snowman and Kareen have a quizzical look on their faces. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK 

MATCH #5

“Captain Redneck” Dick Murdoch defeated Larry Cheatum with the Brainbuster.

After the bout Dick Murdoch is at the podium with David Crockett where he informs us that his Texas Outlaw partner, Stan Hansen, is currently on a wrestling tour of Japan and that he will be back real soon.  He also wants everyone to know that is Dusty needs any help with Jimmy Jack Funk, he is more than willing.  Murdoch explains that almost everything that comes out of Texas is wonderful with the exception of the Funk family!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

MAIN EVENT MATCH

“Fab One” Steve Keirn vs Mando Guerrero

Interesting thing here was that Steve Keirn was a no show.  Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross really acted like they had no idea where he was.  Lucky for the fans, Brad Armstrong took Keirn’s place.  Mando had called out Armstrong last week wondering why he got so much attention for being this great second-generation wrestler and that the Guerreros were the greatest family in wrestling.

As for this match, it is fast-paced and back and forth.  Mando quickly learned that Brad was willing to mix it up as a counter to all of Guerrero’s dirty tactics.  When it looked like Brad finally had control, Ricky Santana rushed the ring and attacked Brad.  It was like Brad knew this was going to happen and he had a plan for it.  Less than 10 seconds behind Santana was his partner, Tim Horner.

We get a great brawl between The Latin Connection and The Lightening Express which eventually ends as we go to commercial break. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Tony Schiavone:  Folks, while we are out of time, it seems like business has really picked up here in WCW.  The Horsemen have some serious people wanting a piece of them.  The Latin Connection and the Lightening Express seem to have unfinished business.  How long can Dibiase and Dr. Death stay out of harms way with a 2-million-dollar bounty in their wrestling careers.  What is going to happen to the WCW television title.  Dusty Rhodes going after another Funk and what is going on with the Nation of Domination.  So many issues to be solved here in WCW as Fall Brawl is less that 6 weeks away.  For Jim Ross and David Crockett, I’m Tony Schiavone, we’ll see you next week right here on World Championship Wrestling.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock n Roll has their eyes on tag gold.

Abby kills a guy and Hart promises no more holding his monsters back.

Bart/Funk vs Rhodes/Simmons at Fall Brawl. Bring it!

Three way intergender tag match? WCW is taking a big step forward.

Sting and Luger spoil Spivey's welcoming party. But to make it up to the Horsemen they brought one hell of a plus one in Gordy.

Reed seems to be questioning his position in the Nation.

Solid showing for Murdoch.

Brad steps in for an AWOL Keirn and we get a fun brawl between the Latin Connection and Lightning Express to close the show.

RnR are in WCW and want some gold. 

Good job pairing Bart and Jimmy Jack. Nothing like a Rhodes/Funk feud. This will also do wonders for Simmons. 

I've always loved Gary Hart's promos and you really have him down. The way he talked up Abbey and Goto was bone chilling. 

The TV title angle continues to be one of my favorite segments. Can't wait for the intergender match up. I wonder who Zenk's bringing in? 

Awesome segment with the Horsemen, Sting and Luger. Bringing in Gordy is icing on the cake. I'm sure him and Spivey are going to go at it. 

Looks like a little dissention going on with the Nation. 

Murdoch's fired up and wants in on some Funk action. 

Where's Keirn? Well, we did get a pretty good brawl between the Lightning Express and Latin Connection. 

Great stuff going on in WCW!

Honeymoon is over, back to work.

Really solid show reminiscent of the real WCW. All up and down the "totem pole", you have your matches and feuds all laid as you start setting up for Fall Brawl.

The only thing you might not see in '88 on TV is Abdullah forking people at 6:05. Ted liked his wrasslin' but even his stations had standards.

15 hours ago, LastStopTour said:

Honeymoon is over, back to work.

Really solid show reminiscent of the real WCW. All up and down the "totem pole", you have your matches and feuds all laid as you start setting up for Fall Brawl.

The only thing you might not see in '88 on TV is Abdullah forking people at 6:05. Ted liked his wrasslin' but even his stations had standards.

Good point with Abbie!

Awesome feel for WCW right now... like others have said... you have the formula and now you start to put in your individual pieces that make it special. Young Guns came out August 12 of 1988... good use of the name... but does Turner own the rights? Great promos from Sting and Luger. Two solid MVPs... which will rise? Props on Gary Hart... an unheralded manager for the era but also in WCW during his short tenure. He always meant business.

0v6HoOr.png

EPISODE #6

SEPTEMBER 16, 1988

Gjy3R0R.png

The show starts with a replay from a house show this week from Orlando where it seems that Sting has crashed another party as he is at ringside of Arn Anderson’s match.  Arn hits the gordbuster on Sweet Brown Sugar and then heads to the ropes and dares Sting to come to the ring.  Sting answers the challenge and jumps up on the apron.  Arn tries to Pearl Harbor him but Sting is ready and blocks it.  He then whips Arn across the ring and rushes in for the Stinger Splash.  He is soaring through the air when the video cuts off. 

Tony Schiavone:  Hi everybody.  Welcome back to World Championship Wrestling.  Tony Schiavone, Jim Ross with you.  David Crockett is away on assignment and filling in for him today will be Roddy “Rowdy” Piper.  I have been asked to let all the fans watching today’s TV show to understand the views of Mr. Piper are not necessarily the views of WCW. 

o3uXtrL.png

Roddy Piper:  Oh here we go.  You got people running around here with bounties on people’s heads.  You got people claiming to be champion when they aren’t.  You got a man here that goes by the nickname of the American Dream who talks about burying people 6 feet in the ground but I’m the one who the company needs to separate itself from.  I guess old Hot Rod here has a reputation huh!  Just because I’ve been fired 22 times in my life you see, people think they can’t trust me.  Well, you see … me, myself, and I have come here to be in the national spotlight… to shed some light on what is really going on around here and if anyone doesn’t like it, I guess I will just be fired for the 23rd time!

Tony Schiavone:  Okay, okay, lets move on.  Jim, what do we have on the program tonight.

Jim Ross:  We have a great show instore for everyone.  The Nation of Domination will be in action tonight.  Lex Luger will be back in the ring.  The Nightmares will be making their WCW debut.  The World Champion, Ric Flair will be on today’s show.  Ted Dibiase is here.  The Latin Connection (Mando Guerrero & Ricky Santana) takes on the Lightening Express (Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner) and in the main event, it will be an intergender triangle tag team match featuring Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt vs Rip Rogers and Ms. Terri vs Tom Zenk and whoever his tag team partner is going to be. 

Tony Schiavone:  I can’t wait for that one.  I wonder who the Z-Man’s partner will be for that one.  Let’s get to the ring.      

MATCH #1

The Nation of Domination (Snowman & Kareem Muhammed) defeat Allen Martin & Jerry Steiborn after a giant splash by Muhammed.

After the match, the Nation, are with Roddy Pipper.  Butch Reed also comes out. 

Roddy Pipper:  The Nation of Domination huh.  Interesting nickname ya know.  When I was a little kid growing up in Scotland, I thought that was the Nation of Domination.  I guess your never to old to learn something new.

Snowman:  Piper enough of your nonsense.  I’m out here right now to clear something up.  Last week, I seemed to cause some problems for my brotha, Hacksaw Butch Reed.  Hacksaw, all I meant was that you have always been a great wrestler but now you are in it for the right reasons.

Kareem Muhammed:  Yeah Hacksaw.  You the man and always were the man.  I’m just glad you’re on our side and together the Nation will rise to the top.

Hacksaw simply nods his head in agreement and heads off. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, Tom Zenk is with Tony and Jim where they all want to know who his tag team partner is going to be tonight in the big 3 Team Intergender Tag Team battle.  Zenk surprised everyone when he announced that it would be WCW Women’s World Champion, Medusa Micelli.  Medusa came out to a huge ovation where she thanked Tom for the opportunity and was just real excited to have this chance in front of all these people to showcase what women can do inside of the ring.

Match #2

The Nightmares (in face paint) defeat James Bradley & Jason Walker with a Double Drop Kick

COONnWB.png

After the match, The Nightmares are with Roddy Piper where the announce that they are here for one reason and one reason only and that’s to win the WCW United States Tag Team Title at Fall Brawl.  Roddy seemed to upset them when he said they are already looking ready for Fall in their cool Halloween costumes. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When we come out of break, we see Missy Hyatt and Eddie Gilbert with Roddy Piper. 

BCWeTSV.png

Missy is on crutches and has a sad look on her face, but non-the-less, she steals the show in a rather revealing outfit.    She explained that she was really excited to get in the ring tonight but was in a serious car accident and will not be able to perform.  Roddy questions her about what type of performance she was talking about in that outfit but Eddie quickly tried to take control of the interview and reminded him that they were to be in the big 3 team intergender match but Missy was going to be sidelined.  Piper asked Eddie if he found a fill in to replace Missy and her performance.  Eddie just let it go and announced that Hot Stuff Incorporated has become famous all over the world and that he has been training both men and women from around the globe and that he is going to have one of them fill in for Missy tonight.  Eddie explains that while this newcomer will not be nearly as good as Missy, he will do his best.  When Roddy asked where this new “performer” was, Eddie said she is on her way as she new nothing about this as the accident just occurred.  As the interview ends, the camera does catch Roddy giving Missy a good look over. 

Match #3

“The Boogie Woogie Man” Jimmy Valiant defeats Larry Cheatum with an elbow drop

The post-match interview between Piper and the returning Jimmy Valiant was like a circus.  Piper’s sarcasm and Jimmy’s boogie jive talk had everyone’s head spinning.  All you could really get from it was how happy “The Boy from New York City” was to be back in the South again and that he was ready to knock heads and clean house.  Nobody knows exactly what happened but the fans cheered the whole time.

Before the break, “Hustler” Rip Rogers and Ms Terri are at with Roddy Pipper where Pipper wants Ms. Terri to compare biceps with him. 

70V27cF.png

After the flex-off, Piper says he might have her beat in the arm division but she defiantly won the pec division.  We hear Tony Schiavone warning Piper about his use of certain words but Piper keeps on going.  In the end, both Rip and Terri seem real confident in their match tonight because nobody can stop the fittest team in WCW.    As they walk off, Roddy does wonder about what a performance from Ms. Terri would be like. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, The Latin Connection, (Mando Guerrero and Ricky Santana) are at the podium with Roddy Piper and they have brought with them two things.  First, Mando is carrying a small container of something and second there is a very well built man standing behind Mando.  First, the bottle…. Mando goes full steam ahead with his talk about how the Guerrero family is known worldwide and just to prove it, he has brought this bottle of Guerrero hair removal cream with him which is sold all over the world.  Piper says that he was wondering what happened to Mando’s bald friend behind them but that just got his some dirty looks.  Mando continues to add that no other family would be asked to sponsor products all over the globe except for the Guerreros because they are the most known wrestling family ever to exist.  Mando goes on to make sure everyone knows that the Armstrongs were not asked to sponsor anything, anywhere, except for that backwards place called Alabeema.  Piper seems to nod in agreement but that he wants to know who the muscle was. 

Poz2CG0.png

Mando goes on to explain that this is Dr. Diobolico and for the dumb Americans in the audience that is Dr. Diobolic in English. 

Match #4

Arn Anderson with Woman defeat Jimmy Del Ray with the Gordbuster

After the bout, Arn Anderson, Woman Dan Spivey and Ric Flair join Roddy Piper for an interview.  Flair and Piper seem to know each other well back from their Mid-Atlantic days in the early 80’s but it is hard to tell their relationship.  Flair just gives him a “Piper” for hello while Piper say’s “Natch been a long time.  You seem to have that 10-pounds of gold everyone’s talking about.  You seem to have a pretty good grip on that belt and that it would take a real man to take it from you.”  Arn takes over the next segment of the interview where he is fuming about Sting crashing another Horsemen party as we saw in the video at the end of the show.  He basically warns Sting and Luger that you know what happens when you play with fire.  Natch gives an awesome promo hyping up how excited he is to put an end to Luger and Sting at Fall Brawl.  Spivey, again, wonders where his challenge for the United States title is going to come from as there is no one able to take down “Dangerous” Dan Spivey. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, Sting and Lex Luger join Roddy Piper for a quick interview that does focus on how they are going to take down the show.  Again, Roddy steals the interview as he is oooing and ahhhing over how big Lex’s muscles.  Lex does take offense to the fact that Roddy wonders just how important they are as he did loose the title to Nature Boy who in fact, in the past had lost to Roddy Piper himself.

MATCH #5

The Lightening Express (Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner) vs The Latin Connection (Mando Gierrero & Ricky Santana with Dr. Diobolico

The match starts with the Mando getting right in the face of Brad Armstrong as he is waving the hair remover cream in the face of Brad as if to prove to him that the Guerrero name is more important that the Armstrong name.  Brad could care less and waves him away.  Once the match starts, the Express get a quick advantage which they hold for the opening segment of the match.  Lots of fast tags, quick double team moves and a lot of technical wrestling keep the Express on top.  That is until Dr. Diobolico trips up Horner and the tides turn.  This ends with Horner playing the face in peril as the Latin Connection do dirty deed after dirty deed.  Finally, we get the hot tag and we go bonzo gonzo with the Express on fire.  It was “unfortunate” that ref Pee Wee Anderson get in the way of an Irish Whip by Mando.  With the ref down, the massive Diobolico comes in and with the 3-2 advantage, the Latin Connection takes complete control.  Mando screams at Diobolico to hold Armstrong as he gets the cream.  Mando is going to put the cream right in the eyes of Armstrong but at the last second he moves and Mando smears the cream in Diobolico’s eyes.  He is screaming and rolling on the ground.  The noise rattles Pee Wee Anderson who is back just in time to make the three count as Brad hit a Russian Leg Sweep on Mando. 

bDAvY7w.png?1

While the Express celebrate a doctor has rushes out to Diobolico who is still in serious trouble.  With a towel over his head, they rush him out of the ring as Tony Schiavone is sure they are headed right to the hospital. 

After everything has settled down, Ron Simmons and Dusty Rhodes are with Roddy Piper where Roddy wants to know if Dusty and Simmons are trying out for the new odd couple.  He then rubs Dusty’s belly and asks if he is Mikey because it looks like “The American Dream” will eat anything.

yJvXLyi.png

Dusty warns him to be quiet if he knows what’s good for him.  What a mistake by Dusty as he know asks Dusty is hot dogs and potato chips are what he thinks his good for him.  Back and forth they go until finally Dusty focuses on what he and Ron are going to do to Black Bart and Jimmy Jack Funk at Fall Brawl!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

MATCH #6

MAIN EVENT:  THREE TEAM INTERGENDER TAG MATCH

Tom Zenk & Medusa Micelli vs “The Hustler” Rip Rogers & Terri vs “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert & ? with Missy Hyatt on crutches

While women’s wrestling isn’t all that big in WCW at this point, Medusa and Terri Powers have captured the attention of the fans in a way that there is pretty big intrigue into who Eddie Gilbert will bring out as his partner.  Roddy Piper is pretty sure that it will be some “looker” to be associated with Hot Stuff Inc. 

With the other teams already in the ring, Eddie walks out first with Missy and then stops about halfway to the ring and turns to the curtain.  A gasp comes over the crowd as Jim Ross lets Piper know that his thoughts were a little off.  The woman following Gilbert to the ring is an Asian woman with hair that is spiked up about a foot over her head, has scary face paint on and looks to be about 200 pounds. 

b7mr9fq.png

Missy, with her crutches, heads over to Tony Schiavone and lets everyone know that her replacement is Bull Nakano who has been working out at their Hot Stuff Training facility.

As for the match, everyone gets a little shine, but it is obvious that Bull Nakao has immense power; so much so that she makes Terri and Medusa look weak.  The women actually steal the show and near the end with Gilbert and Zenk the legal men in the ring, the women start a 1 on 1 on 1 brawl on the arena floor.  This has everyone’s attention including ref Nick Patrick.

WHAM… Missy Hyatt with a crutch to the back of the skull of Tom Zenk.

WHAM… Hot Shot by Eddie Gilbert on Zenk.  Nick Patrick turns around.

1…2…3!

Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross are disgusted by the actions of Missy Hyatt and Eddie Gilbert but do put over the fact that Eddie now owns a pinfall over the WCW World Television Champion. 

Tony Schiavone:  Folks, while we are out of time, it seems like business has really picked up here in WCW.  The Horsemen have some serious people wanting a piece of them.  The Latin Connection and the Lightening Express seem to have unfinished business.  How long can Dibiase and Dr. Death stay out of harms way with a 2-million-dollar bounty in their wrestling careers.  What is going to happen to the WCW television title.  Dusty Rhodes going after another Funk and what is going on with the Nation of Domination.  So many issues to be solved here in WCW as Fall Brawl is less that 6 weeks away.  For Jim Ross and David Crockett, I’m Tony Schiavone, we’ll see you next week right here on World Championship Wrestling.

Just to try and be a little more historically correct, I am going to just list some wrestlers here who also got wins on the show.  From what I have seen, back in 1988, WCW was running about 10-12 matches per TV show as it was 2 hours long.  There is no way I can write all this some I am just going to list some matches here as other TV match wins.  These matches will always be against some jobber.

Other Wrestlers getting wins on today’s TV show:

Big Money Marcus, The Young Guns (Sam Houston & Kendall Windham), Tarzan Goto with Gary Hart, Jimmy Jack Funk and Black Bart, and Dick Murdoch.

Wel, if WCW wants to be the premier promotion, signing Piper is the way to go. Piper on the mic will always get him over. It's funny that he irked both the faces and heels. LOL, only Piper. 

The Nation seems to have smoothed things over with Reed...for now. 

The tag teams are all coming in for a chance at the US titles. 

Valiant and Piper was hilarious. When in doubt, just cheer them on. 

With everything going on, Mando might've stolen the show with his promo. Funny stuff. 

You're doing a great job keeping things tense with the Horsemen, Sting and Luger. Sometimes all you need are good promos. 

That hair cream must work wonders. Poor Dr. Diobolico. 

The main event was built up so well throughout the program. Gilbert brings in a serious ringer with Nakao. Missy and Gilbert really pull one over on Zenk. 

It's amazing how much is going on in WCW. You have something for everyone. 

0v6HoOr.png

EPISODE #7

SEPTEMBER 23, 1988

The show starts with a replay from last week as Missy Hyatt hits the Z-Man Tom Zenk with a crutch to give Eddie Gilbert and Bull Nakano the victory in the 3-team mixed tag match.   

Tony Schiavone:  Hi everybody.  Welcome back to World Championship Wrestling.  Tony Schiavone, Jim Ross and Roddy Piper with you.  Roddy, I hope you learned your lesson from last week as you were fined quite heavily for some of your comments last week.   

Roddy Piper:  Well, Ya see… old Hot Rod here isn’t the type of person that learns real well.  I didn’t get a whole lot of “A’s” in school if ya know what I mean.  I’m the person that does the teaching.  If WCW and its board of directors doesn’t want me to speak the truth then they went and hired the wrong guy.  Is it my fault Dusty Rhodes is fat?  It is my fault the Nightmares were ready for Halloween a little early?  Isn’t is my fault that Missy Hyatt likes to show off her …

Tony Schiavone:  Okay, okay, Roddy.  That’s enough.  Jim, what do we have on the show for tonight?   

Jim Ross:  All the major stars are here today.  The Horsemen are here.  Sting is here.  Dusty Rhodes is here.  The Rock n Roll Express are here.   The Latin Express will be in action.  Sir Oliver Humperdink has asked for time on our show today.  Lord only knows what that means.  The Young Guns (Sam Houston & Kendall Windham will be here.  The Z-Man Tom Zenk will defend his WCW World Television Title against one of the best in the business, Hacksaw Butch Reed.  Also, it will be Ted Dibiase vs one of Gary Hart’s monsters, Tarzan Goto.  Will tonight be the night Gary Hart collects some of that bounty Sheik Adnan Al Kassie has placed on the wrestling careers of Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death.

Tony Schiavone:  I can’t wait for that one.

MATCH #1

The Latin Connection (Mando Guerrero & Ricky Santana) defeat Brad Holliday & Lee Ramsey by submission when Mando locked in the Gory Special on Holiday. 

The Latin Connection join Roddy Piper for a post-match interview.

Roddy Pipper:  Hola!  I just wanted you all to see that I’ve been taking Spanish lessons so we could get along better.  Ya know… Burrito Guerrero, that was an interesting move but I gotta ask you, why you decided last week to put the taco sauce in the eyes of your own amiga.

Mando Guerrero:  First of all Piper, Dr. Diobolico was called back to Mexico on urgent business.  The Guerrero Hair Removal Cream did nothing to him as it is specially made that it is even safe if you put it into your own eyes.  The Guerreros have made all their money on quality.  Quality wrestling.  Quality products.  We will do anything for money as long as it is quality. 

Roddy Piper:  So Diobolico had what we call “the runs” here in the U.S. and he had to return to Meixco for some of that good water you all have down there. 

Ricky Santana:  Piper, I think you need to show respect to a member of the great Guerrero family.

Roddy Piper:  Ahh yes, respect to the almighty Guerrero family.  Like people in Florida respect a gigantic mouse…. Mikey Mouse looks like a rat to me.  Mando are you a rat?  Want some cheese.  I’m buying.

Mando Guerrero:  Your jokes will end Piper when we win the WCW United States Tag Team Titles at Fall Brawl. 

Roddy Piper:  I’ve always been told the education in Mexico is not so good.  You seemed to prove it.  0 for 2.  I doubt you will be the champions and I know I will never stop the jokes.

Mando and Ricky are fuming and walk off shouting at each other in Spanish.

Roddy Piper:  Man… those two talk fast.  I guess I need another Spanish lesson.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes is with Roddy Piper and the interview is going a little better than last week where Piper seemed overly concerned with Dusty’s weight.  He did make a comment that he bet Dusty is mad he wasn’t here a few minutes ago as he is sure Burrito Guerrero would have shared some tacos with Dusty but that was really all.  Dusty let the comment roll off his back as he is still Hell Bent of getting rid of Jimmy Jack Funk from WCW.  He reminds everyone that this will happen real soon as he and Ron Simmons are going to put a hurting on Funk and Black Bart in a Bunkhouse Match at Fall Brawl.

Suddenly Dusty sees Black Bart coming out and Dusty, quickly gets in a boxer’s stance and steps to Black Bart.

WHAM… from behind, with the branding iron to the back, Jimmy Jack has attacked Dusty Rhodes.  The 2-1 attack is under way and Piper wonders if this is going to end in a pig roast!

Ron Simmons seemed to be on call as he quickly rushed out and in a massive show of power, he knocks Bart out with a running boot to the head.  Simmins now scoops up Funk and walks around with him above his shoulders before disposing of him in the cement floor.

Suddenly we get a bunch of people from the back to restore order.

Simmons and Dusty give another fuming promo but it seems that Dusty has been hurt by that branding iron. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When we come out of break, Sir Oliver Humperdink is standing alone in what seems to be a very basic room made of cinder blocks.

Oliver Humperdink:  Wrestling fans… Sir Oliver Humperdink here.  To be honest, I thought my days in this sport were done.  I thought I had accomplished everything I wanted to.  I’ve been a champion as a singles wrestler.  I’ve been a champion as a tag team wrestler.  I’ve managed numerous champions all around this globe. I’ve been to the mountain top and thought I’d seen it all.  I’ve made a lot of money in this business.  So much money in fact that when I “retired,” I decided to take a little trip… a vacation if you will… and that’s when I saw him… this most spectacular human being I’d ever seen.  He is big… oh so very big.  He is vicious… so very vicious.  I saw his taking on 2,3,4 men at a time and within seconds, he was the only one still standing.  That is why I realized that there is one thing I have never done in this business… Manage a World Champion.  Trust my words… this man will give me the most important title in professional sports… the WCW World Title!

The camera now turns to a monster of a man with a hockey mask on his face!

V7oncnd.png

Before going to the ring, Tony and Jim are in shock at the size and appearance of Humperdink’s new man while Piper wants to know why everyone here in WCW needs to show off the Halloween costumes so early.  

Match #2

The Young Guns (Sam Houston & Kendall Windham) defeat Keith Steiborn & Black Terror with double running bulldogs on both opponents. 

The Young Guns head over to Piper where he wonders if Sam took the last name Houston just to help him find his way home.  When Windham seems to take offense, Piper apologizes to Sam Houston as he thinks he got their names mixed up because Windham took offense to the dig on Houston.  The Young Guns decide to ignore Piper and instead stake their claim at a shot at being one of those teams at Fall Brawl he gets a shot at the U.S. tag titles.    

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, the WCW World Tag Team Champions, Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death have a pre-recorded message for Gary Hart where they kind of reverse the situation with Gary Hart.  While they welcome the fight with Abdulah the Butcher and Tarzan Goto they have decided to fight fire with fire.  Dibiase and Dr. Death both remind everyone that the reason Sheik has put a bounty on their heads is because they both left Louisiana with a million dollars of his money.  That means they have plenty of money to pay someone to take out Gary Hart. 

When the recording is over, Tony and Jim wonder who is going to win this very dangerous game of cat and mouse. 

MATCH #3

“The Total Package” destroys Larry Cheatum with the Torture Rack.  Interesting thing was that Woman and Ric Flair came out and joined Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone during the match where Flair continuously points out the weaknesses in Luger’s game.  Both Tony and Jim did notice how quickly Flair left after Luger’s match was over. 

It’s almost like Piper knows not to mess with Luger as he simply says “that was an impressive match Big Boy.”  Luger ignores him and goes straight into what he and Sting are going to do to Arn Anderson and Ric Flair at Fall Brawl.  Piper listens and does interrupt at the end, he seems surprised that Sting is not here right now as he was scheduled to be a part of this interview.  Piper blames it on the fact that Sting mustn’t have finished putting on his make-up.  Luger looks at him and then heads off. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

As Tony and Jim are getting ready to send us to the ring for our next match, Lex rushes out and yells that he needs a medic in the back… that Sting has been attacked.  The camera man follows Lex to the locker room where we see a battered and slightly bloodied Sting on the cement floor.  Lex rushed to his partner, who refuses medical attention, even though he is struggling to get to his feet.  Sting slowly and quietly takes the microphone and says that he was attacked by the Horseman.  This sets Luger off and he again, hypes up Fall Brawl… He then changes his mind and doesn’t want to wait for Fall Brawl.  He wants the Horseman NOW!  And he doesn’t care if it is 3-1.

The doctors convince Sting that he needs to go to the hospital to get checked out and we see Luger get into the ambulance with his partner. 

When all the chaos ends, Tony sends us back to the ring for a big match.

Match #4

Ted Dibiase with Dr. Death vs Tarzan Goto with Gary Hart

There is a lot of jabbering back in forth between Dibiase and Hart before this one starts.  Goto tries a Pearl Harbor on Dibiase but he is ready for it.  This gives Dibiase the upper hand for the opening segment until Hart trips Dibiase.  As Dibiase starts his comeback, Hart signals to the back for Abdullah the Butcher.  Dr. Death sees this and goes to stop the intruder.

WHAM… it’s the Latin Connection (Guerrero and Santana with a Dr. Diobolico with a patch over one eye) from the other side of Dr. Death.  This 3-1 attack stops Dr. Death in his tracks.

Now it is Abbie, Goto and Hart on Dibiase.  Hart pulls out a small chain and wraps it around the neck of Dibiase.  Goto grabs both ends of the chain and is choking the life out of Dibiase.  Goto has a maniacal laugh on his face while he carries out the devious task.

From the back comes Terry Gordy.  He quickly takes out Dr. Diobolico.  This allows him and Dr. Death to take out the Latin Connection.  Now, like a house a fire, they turn their attention to Hart’s monsters.  This takes some more work but eventually they are able to free Dibiase from Goto and the chain. 

The heels head for higher ground as Dr. Death and Gordy get Dibiase to his feet.  He is coughing, gagging and spitting but seems to be okay. 

Another fiery interview where Piper knows that sarcasm could get him hurt so he simply holds the microphone.  Dr. Death and Dibiase don’t care the order but they want both the Latin Connection and Hart’s goonies in the ring!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, Hot Studd Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt are with Roddy Piper where Piper informs Eddie that as tainted as his win was last week over Zinc Man, he has earned himself a WCW World Television Title Match at Fall Brawl.  Eddie Gilbert, still carrying his Mid-South TV Title seems excited for what he calls a “title vs title” match and that he can’t wait to be the face of the organization after he beats Tom Zenk.  Piper seems confused as he thought Missy Hyatt hit Zinc Man in the head last week with her crutch but it is Eddie here who seems to have a memory loss as he is still carrying a title from an organization that doesn’t exist.   Piper also reminds him that his match might actually be against Hacksaw Butch Reed as he is getting ready for his Television Title match in just a few minutes.  Piper also wants to know how Missy Hyatt walked out here without her crutches after her accident last week.  Roddy does end the interview with what appears to be some flirting as he does commend Missy for finding such a “big” replacement for her is such short notice last week when Bull Nakano filled in for her in that 3 team intergender match.  Missy seems to flirt back and lets Roddy know that if she was in the match last week, she would have been on top of everyone in the end. 

Match #4

WCW WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH

Z-Man Tom Zenk © vs Hacksaw Butch Reed

Give Z-Man some credit as he held his own for about 5 minutes against one of the best in the business.  Eventually, Hacksaw began to take over and looked on the verge on winning the title. 

WHAM… Top Rope shoulder block by Reed on Zenk.  Reed looks to be going for the cover. 

WHAM… Leg drop by EDDIE GILBERT on Tom Zenk. 

The ref quickly calls for the bell and DQ’s Reed.

Reed is in shock as Gilbert is running up to him looking for High 5’s from Reed like he just saved the day.  Reed shoves  Gilbert to the ground and Gilbert looks stunned.  Reed closes in but Gilbert scurries through the ropes to safety.

Both Jim and Tony are pretty sure that Eddie Gilbert did this to make sure he faced Tom Zenk at Fall Brawl and not Hacksaw Butch Reed. 

Tony Schiavone:  Folks, what a wild night that was.  I just hope all is going to be okay for Sting and Ted Dibiase who were both victims of some very serious attacks.  There are a lot of things to get worked out as we get closer to Fall Brawl on October 17th in the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg.  For Jim Ross and Roddy Piper, I’m Tony Schiavone, we’ll see you next week right here on World Championship Wrestling.

The Rock n Roll Express, Medusa Micelli, The Lightening Express, Big Money Marcus, Jimmy Valiant, Dick Murdoch, Jimmy Jack Funk and Terry Gordy

Piper didn't learn nothing and is proud of it.

Mando lets the people know that the Guerrero family's totally safe Hair Removal Cream is absolutely, positively 100% safe to put in your eyes. Yep, totally safe.

Fun brawl between Rhodes/Simmons and Bart/Funk. Piper's pig roast crack was classic.

Humperdink is ready to unleash Lord Humongous on WCW.

The Young Guns cut through the noise to focus on the U.S tag titles.

Dibiase & Williams raise the stakes by putting a price on Hart's head.

You know Luger is a big deal when Piper actually minds his manners. Though he still loses his cool when Sting gets jumped in the back.

Looks like Hart took precautions and struck a deal with The Latin Connection.

Piper & Gilbert trading quips sounds like prime TV to me. And really, can anyone blame Eddie for not wanting to face Butch Reed?

Well, you have Piper down. Eventually, someone is going to pop Piper in the mouth.

Missy on top was a thing she regularly did. Gilbert is a hoot as he fights for his space in WCW. Unfortunately, messing with Butch Reed is not a smart thing to do. I get wanting to take on Zenk in a match but he may have set himself up for a big beating.

Humperdink with his latest stop is a good fit for him here and looks like he is coming in with someone that has potential to be a spoiler for a title. Hump wants a World Title but we need to see what his guy can do first before throwing him a belt.

Dub C Dub gets turnt with the Roddy one on the mic. I am glad you were able to get him going. I know he has value... but just not my guy I guess.  Kind of hoping to see Reed get the tv title... something about him makes me think he can continue to be top tier. I love Dibiase/Williams and the Mid South feel with Gary Hart.  Flair and Luger in 88 was a big program... I think you've got all the makings for it to be that here... who else could challenge the Nature Boy as top dog?

Piper's definatley not making any friends here, which might catch up in the long run. Only a matter of time before he gets in the ring. 

Mando's really making the most of his mic time. I know I'm loving his promos. 

I have a feeling Dusty and Simmons are going to get some serious payback at Fall Brawl. 

Humperdink is bringing in a monster, a vicious monster! 

Keep an eye on the Young Guns, they could be the sleeper team in the tournament. 

Horsemen get the upper hand on Sting and Luger is pissed. The heat is on for Fall Brawl. 

Dibiase and Williams play some mind games but Gary Hart might've been one step ahead by calling in the Latin Express. Then again, Terry Gordy trumps that. 

Either Gilbert's a genius or he made the biggest mistake of his life, interfering with Reed. We'll find out. 

Another fun week in WCW! 

0v6HoOr.png

EPISODE #8

SEPTEMBER 30, 1988

Short Version as time was scarce this week.

1.       Horsemen-Sting & Luger Feud

On last week’s tv show, Sting was attacked in the locker room during Lex Luger’s match.  While he was beaten pretty badly, he suffered no long-term injuries and will be just fine.  He claimed that he was attacked by the Horsemen.  The Horsemen had a little different opinion and claimed that it was only Arn Anderson who attacked him.  They claimed Spivey and Flair were not even there.  They were boasting that it only took The Enforcer to easily put down Sting.  This week, we find out that there was a camera back there during the incident and while the camera did not go into the locker room, it did capture Flair, Spivey and Woman coming out just prior to the start of Luger’s match.  This is when Flair and Woman came out to the podium to watch Luger’s match with Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross.  I guess Flair and Spivey where in the locker room but we still have no prove that they were involved in the attack.  Piper had some fun with his interview this week with the Horsemen as he enjoyed the fact the Flair seems very worried about Sting.  No matter the truth, all roads lead to The Bayfront Center in St. Petersburgh for Clash of Champions:  Fall Brawl where it will be Flair and Anderson taking on Luger and Sting.

2.       Dusty Rhodes & Ron Simmons- Jimmy Jack Funk & Black Bart Feud

Last week, we saw Jimmy Jack attack Dusty from behind with the branding iron.  This week, we got some fiery promos from the teams but no real fireworks.  Dusty and Simmons promise revenge at Fall Brawl where they will take on Funk and Bart in a Bunkhouse Stampede Match.

3.       WCW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES

This week it became official.  It is bounty vs bounty at Fall Brawl.  We have known for some time that Gary Hart is trying to rid wrestling of Dr. Death and Ted Dibiase and collect a 2-million-dollar bounty put on the champs by Sheik Adnan Al Kassie for their time in Mid-South Wrestling.  Last week, we heard that Dr. Death and Dibiase are fighting fire with fire as they have placed a bounty on Gary Hart.  We also found it this week that at Fall Brawl, it will be Hart’s Monsters, Abdullah the Butcher and Tarzan Goto trying to win that money for their manager while also becoming the World Tag Champions.  However, there is a catch.  If Dr. Death and Dibiase get the win, they will each get 5 minutes in the ring alone with Gary Hart.  It seems like one way or another, a bounty might just be collected in St. Petersburg.

4.       The WCW World Television Title

Last week, we found out that “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert would be getting a TV title shot at Fall Brawl.  We also saw “ Z-Man” Tom Zenk take on Hacksaw Butch Reed in his toughest test yet as TV champ.  Eddie Gilbert was thinking ahead as he knew he wanted no piece of Hacksaw Butch Reed in his TV title shot so he attacked Zenk just before Reed beat the Z-Man for the title. This caused an immediate DQ and the Zenk kept his belt.   Hacksaw Butch Reed was fuming at Gilbert for costing him the TV title and demanded a match with Gilbert on TV.  Gilbert vehemently objected but the match took place anyway.  Interesting thing here was that for the first time in a while, Reed received more applause than his opponent.   After a few minutes of getting tossed from pillar to post, Hyatt pulled Gilbert away and they headed for the hills.  Gilbert will next meet Z-Man for the TV Title but will Reed allow his to even get to the match.  We will have to wait and see.

5.       The WCW United States Tag Team Title

This week we found out that the Rock N Roll Express will be one team wrestling for that vacated title at Fall Brawl.  While a few teams were upset at this, it seems to be a no brainer as they are undefeated since their return to WCW.  We also found out that next week, on TV, there will be a four team elimination match to determine the other team to wrestle for the title.  Those teams are the Latin Connection, The Lightening Express, The Young Guns (Sam Houston & Kendall Windham) and The Nightmares.  Piper had fun with all four of the teams but together, Piper and Mando seem to be like magic on the mic.

While this week’s show seemed to focus mainly on Fall Brawl, there were a few other interesting tidbits. 

1.       Sir Oliver Humperdink sent in another video hyping up his hockey-masked monster.  This time, we get a name… Lord Humongous… and a glimpse into his talent as he quickly put down four men in the ring, each with a single, scary move.  First a clothesline, then a big boot, then a powerbomb and finally a face-first suplex.  Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross both claimed to have never seen anything like it.

2.       For the third week in a row, we get a match involving women.  First, we had the 3 team intergender math.  Last week we had Medusa in singles competition and this week, we had a dark match involving Bull Nakano.  We first saw her in the intergender match we she partnered with Eddie Gilbert.  This week, Gilbert and Hyatt were nowhere to be seen, but Nakano was even more fierce than the first time.  WCW claims to be trying out the waters here of pushing a Women’s Division but they were not yet comfortable enough to put them on the big stage at Fall Brawl.

3.      It seems like Rip Rogers and Jimmy Valiant are on a collision course at Rip took offense to just how hot Jimmy thought Terri was.  Roddy did warn Jimmy that Terri could do her own damage to him but that just seemed to excite Jimmy even more.

4.      There was someone standing in the shadows during Abdullah the Butcher’s match would did seem to upset Gary Hart as he wondered if it was someone coming to collect the bounty on his head. 

5.      Dick Murdoch continued to pummel his opponents as he tossed Larry Cheatum from post to post.  Again, he was a lone “Texas Outlaw” as Stan Hansen is still in Texas.

Whether Arn did it alone last week or not, the Stinger gets his chance at payback in the big tag match at Fall Brawl.

Speaking of big tag matches, we've got a Bunkhouse Brawl incoming and I love it.

It's bounty vs bounty, and Hart seems to have someone looking to collect his.

Reed tries to get back at Gilbert but Missy pulls her man out of harms way.

The US tag title tournament is shaping up nicely.

Lord Humongous arrives in dominant fashion.

The ladies may have found a home in WCW.

You summed everything up well as WCW heads into clash of champions. 

I have a feeling Flair, Arn. Luger and Sting will just be getting warmed up at the Clash. 

I like Dusty's positioning here. He's not in the main event spotlight but has something to sink his teeth into. 

Gary Hart better have a plan or he's going to be in big trouble. 

Reed will make his presence known. 

LOL, I'm hoping the Latin Connection get the match with RnR. These guys are over with me. 

Valiant and Rogers, talk about a charismatic program.

Go for it WCW! Give the women a chance. 

0v6HoOr.png

EPISODE #9

OCTOBER 6, 1988

The show starts with a video from a house show in El Paso where we see Dr. Death, Ted Dibiase and Terry Gordy getting some revenge on the Latin Connection (Mando Guerrero, Ricky Santana and Dr. Diobolico) for them helping Gary Hart a few weeks back.  We see the fan favorites tossing the Latin Connection from pillar to post but don’t see the end.

Tony Schiavone:  Hello everybody.  Welcome back to World Championship Wrestling.  Tony Schiavone, Jim Ross and Roddy Piper with you.  Jim, we are just over a week away from  Clash of Champions as Fall Brawl will be coming to you live from The Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg right here on the Superstation on October 17th. 

Jim Ross:  That’s right Tony and what a night it will be as we have 5 huge matches for you including 3 title bouts.  It will be “Z-Man” Tom Zenk putting his WCW World Television Title on the line against “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert.  The WCW World Tag Team Title will be on the line as Dr. Death and Ted Dibiase defend against Gary Hart’s Monsters, Abdullah the Butcher and Tarzan Goto.  There is more than titles on the line in this one.  If the champs are successful, they will both get five minutes alone with Gary Hart.  We will also see Dusty Rhodes go face to face with a member of the Funk family as Dusty and Ron Simmons face off against Jimmy Jack Funk and Black Bart in a Bunkhouse Stampede match!  That one is going to be wild!  And in the main event it will be Sting and “The Total Package” Lex Luger vs “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson and “Nature Boy” Ric Flair.  Also, one more title match as the vacated WCW U.S. Tag Team Title will be filled.  We know one of those teams will be the Rock n Roll Express and later tonight we will find out who their opponents will be as The Latin Connection, The Nightmares, The Lightening Express and the Young Guns face off in a Four Tag Team Elimination match. 

Roddy Piper:  Well, Ya see… even old Hot Rod is excited for that event.  It’s like the circus, Halloween, a rock concert and the rodeo all rolled into one.  You got the fat man in Dusty Rhodes, the strongman in Lex Luger, the freak in Abdullah, the main with the face paint in Sting, and let’s not forget the women with the largest brea….

Tony Schiavone:  Okay, okay, Roddy.  That’s enough.  Let’s get to the ring for our first match. 

MATCH #1

The Rock n Roll Express defeat defeat Brad Holliday & Lee Ramsey with the double drop kick on Holiday. 

A quick-post match interview shows how excited the Rock n Roll Express are for Fall Brawl and their shot at the vacated WCW United Stated Tag Team Titles. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When we come out of break, we see the Latin Connection, including Dr. Diobolico, still wearing his eye patch from the cream that was accidently put in his eye by Mando, with Roddy Piper.

Roddy Pipper:  Hola amigas.  First of all, you must be very grateful to be involved in the U.S. Tag Team Title match but there are rumors that if you win the title, you will be the first Mexicans to cross the border back onto Mexico.

Mando Guerrero:  Again, Piper… No respect for the greatest wrestling family in history.  The Guerreros have done it all and this U.S. Tag Title would just be another feather in our cap. 

Roddy Piper:  I think you mean sombrero.  And I have noticed that you have none of your family hair cream with you.  Is that because the pirate here next to us is having flashbacks?

Mando Guerrero:  Again… no respect.  The Guerrero Hair Removal is world famous.  It just happens to be that we can’t keep up with demands and are currently sold out.

Roddy Piper:  That’s too bad Mr. Tequito.  Your hair is looking a little shaggy.  By the way, ya know you and the rest of your gang here looked to be in over your head in that opening video as Dibiase, Dr. Death and Gordy were, as they say down here in the South, “stomping a mud hole in ya.”  Hey, I guess old hot Rod here is now tri-lingual.  I can speak English, Spanish and Redneck. 

Ricky Santana:  So Piper, you think we’re not tough enough.  I promise you that the Guerreros are the toughest wrestlers I have ever been around.  They don’t care if the fans clap and sing for them.  They’ve been jumping all over people for a long time.  They don’t care at all what happens to their opponents and Mando has taught me all he knows, and we are walking out of Fall Brawl as the U.S. Champs.

Roddy Piper:  Ahh yes, jumping on your opponents…. You three should change your name from the Latin Connection to the Mexican Jumping Beans….  Good luck to you all at Fall Brawl. 

Mando Guerrero:  Piper… next time you see us, we will have belts around our waist.    

Roddy Piper:  And people think I am strange wearing a kilt… These three are only going to wear belts. 

Mando and Ricky are fuming and walk off shouting at each other in Spanish.

Roddy Piper:  Man… I still need more practice with my Spanish. 

MATCH #2

Dusty Rhodes defeats Keith Steiborn with the Elbow Drop 

Dusty Rhodes is with Roddy Piper for a post-match interview.

Roddy Piper:  Dusty… may I call you Dusty… I can’t help but notice all the pretty ladies here in WCW.  Whether it is some of the valets or even those in the audience at all the shows I’ve been attending.  I’ve also noticed some real ugly ones to.  In fact, there is one that keeps showing up at your matches.  I bet you’ve noticed her… she is the real fat one in the top row.  Now… Old Hot Rod wonders a lot about love…  They say you should always find someone you have a lot in common with.  Another thing that Old Hot Rod has noticed is that you always seem to be alone.  You come to the arena alone.  You leave alone.  I mean it’s kind of a sad life you live.  So, I had a great idea… the fat lady in the back row and the fat man in the ring might just be made for each other.

Dusty Rhodes:  Piper… I don’t like you and when the American Dream don’t like you, you got a problem but that is a problem for another day ya see.  Dusty Rhodes… the Bull in the Woods… is focused right now on Jimmy Jack Funk.  Funk… just ask old Terry about me.  You’re about to find out how bad a man I am and how bad a man I can be.  The time for talking has stopped.  It’s time we get in the ring.  At Fall Brawl Ron Simmons and the Dream are going to “Just Do It” all over you Jimmy Jack Funk.  Oh, and I didn’t forget about Black Bart…. It’s a Bunkhouse Match… Come as you want and I’m a coming with my cowboy boots and spurs.  And Piper, when I’m done with Jimmy Jack, you can come on down and jump on that Fat Lady all night long because when I’m done in the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, I promise you all the pretty ladies will be partying with me down at Pelican’s Pub down on 2nd Steet.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When we come out of break, Sting is with Roddy Piper who gives a quick joke about his colorful face paint by Sting ignores him.

Sting:  11 days…. 11 days Arn Anderson.  That is all you got left to run and hide.  You talk about how it was you and you alone who jumped me in the locker room, but we all know that isn’t true.  We all know that it took all 4 Horsemen to keep me down.  Arn… I understand why you want the credit.  I mean you have been riding the coattails of someone else since you entered this business.  First it was Uncle OIe.  I mean everyone knew who the best Anderson was.  Then it was Tully Blanchard.  I mean since you two stopped teaming together, all he has done is win title after title while you flounder around the wrestling ring.  Now it is Ric Flair who carries you… Now in St. Pete, it will be Lex and myself against you and Flair.  We both know that Flair isn’t going to do anything as he wants to make sure he is safe to defend that World Title of his … So that puts it on you… Arn… it’s time to Put Up or Shut Up!  I think you should just shut up!    AAAAHHHHHHHHH

MATCH #3

Sting defeats Tom Downing with the Stinger Splash

After the match, Gary Hart comes out and Piper basically hands the interview over to him.  It seems like Gary Hart is the one man that Piper respects in the business.  Hart goes on to hype up the Bounty vs Bounty Match for the WCW World Tag Team Titles where his Monsters, Abdullah the Butcher and Tarzan Goto take on Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death.  He also tells Piper that he is not the least bit nervous of having to face Dibiase and Dr. Death alone if his men lose the match as there is no chance of that.

The next part of the interview is interesting as, to the dismay of Piper, Gary Hart calls out the Latin Connection where he gives Mando a large envelope of cash.  When Piper asks what this is about, Mando reminds Piper that the Guerreros will do anything for money.  Gary Hart also doesn’t give any more details about the transaction.

As we head to break, Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross are wondering if this is payoff for what went down a few weeks ago or if this is something new.  They agree that they may never find out.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When we come out of break, Sir Oliver Humperdink is standing alone in what seems to be a very basic room made of cinder blocks carrying a sledge hammer.  Lord Humongous is standing next to him wearing his hockey mask.  Humperdink is screaming about how his man can’t be stopped.

WHAM… Suddenly Humperdink nails his own man 2,3,4,5 times with the sledgehammer. 

Lord Humongous just stands there like he was an elephant being hit by a mosquito.

Oliver Humperdink:  Wrestling fans… Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  Lord Humongous is coming to WCW and he is coming Soon!   

Before going to the ring, Tony and Jim are in shock at the size and appearance of Humperdink’s new man while Piper wants to know why everyone here in WCW needs to show off the Halloween costumes so early.  

Match #4

United States Title Match

Dan Spivey with Woman defeats Sweet Brown Sugar with a massive clothesline.

Spivey, Women, Arn and Ric Flair all join Piper for the post-match interview.

Roddy Piper:  Well ya know… I must say that Roddy Piper is having some doubts.  Last time I was here with all you horse people, you swore up and down that the only one involved in the attack on Sting was Arn… then we get the video footage from outside the locker room ya see … first we see Flair and Woman come out of the locker room… now I bet you… Woman …. You’ve spent a lot of time in men’s locker rooms but this just seems too suspicious…. Then we get you Mr. U.S. champ coming out… All seems like a little co-inky-dink if you ask me.

Ric Flair:  Well ya know Piper… We aren’t asking you.  The Horsemen are in the business of telling people.  So, what do we really have here now?  To me we got nothing but a normal day in the life of the Horsemen.  We got jet airplanes… we got first class seats… we got beautiful stewardesses waiting on us hand and foot if you know what I mean.  And that’s all because we are the Horsemen.  I’m the WCW World Heavyweight Champion.  Dangerous Dan here is the U.S. Champion…  and Arn is the unstoppable Enforcer.  People like Sting are jealous.  People like Luger are jealous.  We got more cars than anyone around.  We got more mansions than anyone around.  Baseball has Dale Murphy.  Football has Herschel Walker.  Basketball has Magic Johnson and all of them rolled up into one doesn’t equal a Horseman.  Now at Fall Brawl, Arn and myself will prove to everyone why we are the top of the mountain and they are the bottom of the barrel.

Roddy Piper:  Natch… Natch… so well spoken.  I really got your message.  For those of you in TV land who just aren’t as smart as Old Hot Rod, let me break it down for you.  What Ric Flair just said was that Arn Anderson is the only Horsemen without a Title.  Thanks for making that clear Natch!

Arn Anderson:  Shut up Piper before I make you forget how to talk.

Roddy Piper:  Oh ya.. okay… You win.  I am sorry Mr. Enforcer.  Please don’t hurt me now.

Tony Sciavone:  Alright let’s take a break.  Everybody just calm down. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next bout, the WCW World Tag Team Champions, Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death come out to Jim Ross and point out that the end to Gary Hart is near.  They ask Jim how he is going to survive one on one against Dr. Death and Ted Dibiase after they beat Abdullah and Tarzan Goto at Fall Brawl.  This question has Jim Ross wondering the same thing and he believes that Gary Hart just might get what is coming to him.    

MATCH #5

Rip Rogers with Terri Powers defeats Trent Knight with the Ripperplex

The interesting thing here was that Jimmy Valiant was sitting front row with the crowd and when Rip had Knight up on the top rope for the superplex, Jimmy came out of the stands and snuck up behind Terri and planted a big kiss right on her lips.  Valiant danced away to the locker room as Terri was gagging on the arena floor.  When Rogers asked her what happened and she motioned to the back, you could just see the anger on Roger’s face.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Before our next match, The Z-Man, Tom Zenk comes to Roddy Piper and explains that he went to WCW President Jim Herd and asked that Hacksaw Butch Reed be given a rematch for the TV Title as it was not his fault that Eddie Gilbert interfered in the match last time and probable cost Hacksaw the title.  Piper wondered if Z-Man stood for a man with zero intelligence as he is lucky he survived his match against Butch Reed never mind leaving with his title.

MATCH #5

WCW WORLD TV TITLE

“Z-Man” Tom Zenk © vs Hacksaw Butch Reed

With Hacksaw waiting in the ring during Zenk’s pre-match interview, Zenk heads to the ring for the rematch.  Suddenly Missy Hyatt appears and seems to be pleading with Zenk not to go to the ring.  Zenk tries to sidestep her but…

WHAM….  Eddie Gilbert from behind the TV monitor, nails Zenk with a brick across the shoulder area.  Gilbert clobbers him over and over with the brick in the arm, shoulder and neck area.  Zenk is screaming in pain. 

Here comes Hacksaw Butch Reed but Missy and Eddie hightail it away in the nick of time.  Hacksaw Reed is fuming at once again being cost a title shot but Eddie Gilbert.  Reed looks down at Zenk and isn’t sure what to do.  He has been on the wrong side of good for a while and it is like you can see the wheels turning in his head.  He comes to a decision as he bends down to help Zenk but before this act is complete. Snowman and Kareem Muhammed come out and you can here them tell Reed to hurry up as they wanted to find Gilbert.   The Nation of Domination head off in search of Gilbert while Tony Schiavone calls for medical attention for Zenk.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When we come out of break, Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross are upset and wonder when enough is enough from Eddie Gilbert.  They also debate how large the fine should be for interfering in not one but two WCW World TV Title Matches.  Jim Ross is sure that no amount is enough.  Tony Schiavone tells fans that during the break, they reviewed the incident, and it was clearly premediated.  The show a replay of Eddie Gilbert pushing a TV monitor out of the way to get the brick that he obviously stored there before the attack.  Tony and Jim are just shaking their heads is disgust as they send us to our main event.

MAIN EVENT

TAG TEAM ELIMINATION MATCH

WINNER EARNS A U.S. TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH AT FALL BRAWL AGAINST THE ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS

The Young Guns (Houston & Windham)

Vs

The Latin Connection (Guerrero & Santana) with Dr. Diobolico

Vs

The Lightening Express (Armstrong & Horner)

Vs

The Nightmares

The match is wild, chaotic and each team gets some time to shine in this long match by TV standards.  Once the eliminations start coming they come quickly.  First, we see the Nightmares, who decided to skip the face paint tonight and go for the masks, use double loaded masks to headbutt Sam Houston as the Young Guns are the first to be eliminated.  Almost immediately, we see Brad Armstrong come in and knock the two Nightmare’s heads together…. Metal on Metal and they are both out for an easy pin by Brad. 

Now we get the Lightening Express vs The Latin Connection.  In the end, we see Mando, who somehow found the last bottle of Guerrero Hair Removal Cream, pull the bottle from his trunks and go for the eyes of Tim Horner.  Thank goodness for ref Pee Wee Anderson who grabbed the bottle.  This led to words between Anderson and Guerrero.

Unfortunately, this gave Dr. Diobolico time to come up on the apron and hit Horner with some illegal object of his own.  This led to the easy pin as Armstrong went after Diobolico instead of making the save.

Tony Schiavone:  Folks, what a wild night that was.  While the method was obviously questionable, it will be the Latin Connection vs The Rock n Roll Express for the WCW U.S. Tag Team Title at Fall Brawl.  Also, we will hope to have an update on the health status of Tom Zenk for you next week.  Remember you can watch all the action of Fall Brawl right here on the Superstation on October 17th.  For Jim Ross and Roddy Piper, I’m Tony Schiavone, we’ll see you next week right here on World Championship Wrestling.

Medusa Micelli, The Lightening Express, Big Money Marcus, Jimmy Valiant, Dick Murdoch, Jimmy Jack Funk

Piper and Mando are becoming a weekly highlight. Same for him and Dusty really. It's just so fun watching him get under their skin.

Arn may not have a title but getting Piper to shut his mouth feat in itself. I think Double A may have still been a bit sore from the hit job Sting gave him.

The Lord Humongous promo felt like a bit of a repeat but the visual of a guy no-selling blows from a sledgehammer would've a lot of people's minds.

Zenk tries to do the right thing and Gilbert beats him with a brick for it. Hot Stuff is definitely on Reed's shit list now.

A wild elimination match sees The Latin Connection advance to Fall Brawl. Gotta admit I think a title reign from these guys could be pretty entertaining.

Man oh man, Piper continues to piss off people. One of these days, someone is going to explode. Strange that he didn't give Hart any lip as he seems to be an "Equal Opportunist" and makes fun of everybody. This episode, Arn really seemed to be the focus on Piper's daggers, then throw in what Sting had to say only added fuel to the fire.

Fall Brawl and the match-ups were all well sold. As TV is supposed to set up your bigger paying shows, mission accomplished.

Humperdink has a monster. Will be interesting to see who the first target is once he gets here.

Eddie's gone and done it now. He better start running and not stop until he gets to another territory.

Not thinking the Latin Connection wins because Piper's ribbing would be too good if missed.