Pro Wrestling Only

World Championship Wrestling (1988- )

kevinmcfl

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot going on in WCW as they head into a loaded December.

The Horsemen story has been very interesting. I'm very curious on how they're going to start 1989. Flair is in trouble with both Sting and Luger coming after him.

Boogie Woogie Man might get his wish but I have a feeling Rogers will prevent that by any means necessary.

Cool seeing the Lightning Express getting a push. 

I still can't believe Piper hasn't been attacked yet LOL. I'm hoping we get a Piper/Muraco feud. 

Jim Herd! Please sign Dibiase and Williams vs. The Samoan Savages! 

Hmmmm, could seeds be planting for a Hansen/Murdoch feud. 

Get ready because Reed and the Nation are going to go at it again. 

WOW! Dusty wins this round but Funk sounded like he's ready for more. Funk really is middle aged and crazy LOL. 

0v6HoOr.png

gl882nA.png?1

k5mo5Gv.png?2

EPISODE #16

NOVEMBER 18, 1988

Update on Season’s Beatings and Wrestlecade

We already knew that the main event at Clash of Champion’s:  Season’s Beatings on December 7 in Baton Rouge, will be a $50,000 Battle Royal where the winner would receive a WCW World Title Shot at Wrestlecade: True Grit on December 26th at the HemisFair Arena in San Antonio.  Last week Jim Herd added two matches to that event.  First, Jimmy Valiant vs Rip Rogers was added with the stipulation that if the Boogie Woogie Man wins the match, he gets a date with Terri Powers.  Also added was a United States Tag Team Title match between The Latin Connection (Mando Guerrero & Ricky Santana) vs The Lightening Express.

This week, Jim Herd came out and gave the rest of the rundown for Season’s Beatings.  First, Lord Humongous with Oliver Humperdink will get his first test against a non-jobber as he takes on ½ of the Young Guns in Kendall Windham.  We also find out that The Samoan Swat Team will face Dick Murdoch & Stan Hansen and the winner will get a WCW World Tag Team Title shot at Wrestlecade.  In a very interesting announcement, we also here that we will get the first installment of Piper’s Pit in WCW and Piper’s special guest will be none other than Terry Funk!  Finally, it became official.  Hacksaw Butch Reed’s time in the Nation is not only over but Reed will be facing Snowman and Kareem Muhammed with a partner of his choosing. 

Nothing really new on the Wrestlecade front.  We already know it will be “Dangerous” Dan Spivey facing off against Lex Luger for the United States title unless Luger wins the Battle Royal at Season’s Beatings and then he will get a World Title Shot at Wrestlecade and a new opponent for Dan Spivey will be named. 

Wrestler’s Getting a Push

The Dirty White Boys get another win this week and continue to claim that even though they are new around here that they deserve a U.S. Title shot and not the Lightening Express.  In fact, they challenge Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner to a match next week where the winner gets the match for the U.S. Title at Season’s Beatings.  We do find out later that The Lightening Express did accept that match for next week.

Don Muraco gets his fourth straight win on TV as he steps up in competition this week with a win over Sweet Brown Sugar with the Hawaiian Hammer.   Muraco walked right past Roddy Piper this week and headed to Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross.  Muraco was fuming.  He claimed that all he hears in the back is those two idiots praising the likes of Sting, Lex Luger, Ted Dibaise but they say nothing about him.  Before walking off, he gets right in their faces and makes Schiavone and Ross say that he is “The Magnificent One.”   It was obvious that both announcers were a little shaken from the near attack of Muraco.

Lord Humongous’ roll continues with a destructive win over Ray Scagnello.  Scagnello was just the latest victim to be left crumpled in the ring after the powerbomb.  Piper again tried to antagonize both Humgongous and Humperdink but Humperdink just chuckeled at him at said that he if he is not careful, Humongous will take care of him right after he leaves Kendall Windham in a mangled heap at Season’s Beatings.  Piper wonders what “takes care of him” means and wonders if it will hurt with a hockey mask on. 

Ron Simmons gets another impressive win this week as he defeats Randy Jones.  His interview with Piper was interrupted by Hacksaw Reed who was wondering if he wanted to be Reed’s partner at Season’s Beatings against Snowman and Kareem Muhammed.  Simmons accepted but wasn’t as eager as you might expect.  He did have concerns about Reed seemingly constantly switching from good to bad and vice versa.  Simmons did question Reed’s loyalty and motives.  Piper seemed to enjoy this and gave a lot of sound effects as Simmons seemed to test Reed.  Later in the show, Snowman and Muhammed had an easy win over Luke Mitchell and Caled Johnson.  When they had their time with Piper, they were having a big laugh at Reed’s expense.  They even went so far as to point out that even a rookie like Simmons could point out Reed’s lack of loyalty which they said was there exact problem with him during his time in the Nation. 

The Lightening Express!  Since the arrival of the Rock n Roll Express, Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner were pushed to the number two babyface team in pursuit of the U.S tag titles.  With the injury to Robert Gibson, The Lightening Express are back as the top team in pursuit of the Latin Connection as they will be looking for revenge for their good friend Robert Gibson at Season’s Beatings. 

Everyone else on the Season’s Beatings card had an on-air win and did their best to hype up their big match. 

“Captain Redneck” Dick Murdoch and Stan Hansen had another easy win and this time they did seem to be on the same page as both Murdoch and Hansen couldn’t wait to get their hands on the Samoan Swat to his good friend, the American Dream that Terry Funk is a real snake in the grass and that he needed to be real careful with the man from Amarillo, Texas. 

Ricky Morton wrestled in a rare singles match as Robert Gibson is recovering from his devastating eye injury caused by the Latin Connection and the Guerrero Hair Removal Cream.  Morton defeated Jimmy Del Ray in one of those fan favorite vs fan favorite matches that everyone loves.  The match started and ended with a handshake and Morton got the win with a missile drop kick.  Piper played it cool during this post-match interview as he knew everyone wanted to hear Ricky give an update on his long-time tag team partner.  Unfortunately, the news Ricky gave us was not too positive.  It seems like Robert is not reacting well to treatment and still has not gotten back his vision in his right eye and he may require surgery.  Piper, acting sympathetic, asked for a timetable for Robert’s return.  Ricky said he really had no idea at the current time.  This is when the interview took a turn for the worse.  “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt strutted out to the podium.  Eddie, pretending to cry, sniffled out the words, “Nobody cares about you or your blind partner.  Just go get a Seeing Eye Dog and go off in the woods and stay out of the way of the Hottest Wrestler in the business today… the one with the WCW World Television Title… the face of the franchise!   WHAM… It was obvious that Ricky was not in a playful mood as he leveled Gilbert and then walked off.  Roddy Piper was full of laughs and wondered if Missy might be going to whereever they sell Seeing Eyed Dogs and buy one for “Hot One with the Black Eye.”

Dusty Rhodes’ Response to his attack last week on Terry Funk

When “The American Dream” came out to talk to Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross, they both said they were a little surprised last week when Dusty came out and attacked Terry Funk.  Jim Ross said it seemed like it was a bit of a role reversal as that would be something they would expect from Funk.

Dusty Rhodes:  Jim… ya know the American Dream respects everything you do, brother but in this case, you just don’t get it.  I sat back two weeks ago and listened to what that Egg Suckin Dog talked about.  He talked about how he’s been the one whose been wronged in this situation.  He talked about how The Dream was the one who kept pushing the red button.  He talked about how I cost him the World Title…  That’s not true.  I just beat his sorry “you know what” from pillar to post.  I was the champ, not him.  He talked about how I walked out on him in a tag title bout against the Briscos… That’s not true.  I was stuck with him by some stupid stipulation.  Jack and Jerry Brisco were class acts that he tried to cheat out of the title.  Then he goes on to explain how I attacked his family when I went after that red-headed step child, Jimmy Jack Funk.  Well… I guess that’s true but anytime I can but anytime I can pummel a Funk, I’m going to do it.  Now take nothing away from Terry Funk but I aint going to wait another moment.  I’m telling you right now Jim Ross that each and every time I see Terry Funk, I’m going on the attack.  WCW isn’t big enough for the two of us…. This sport isn’t big enough for the two of us… Heck, this world aint big enough for the two of us.  Tony and Jim… if you two don’t like what I did last week, you’d better close your eyes cause you aint seen nothing yet Daddy O!  The American Dream is on the Warpath!!

Piper's Pit is coming to WCW with Terry Funk as his first guest. WOW! I don't even know what to expect. 

I like the importance put on the US tag titles. 

Reed finds a partner but Simmons is playing it with caution. 

Muraco is becoming a bit unhinged. I feel sorry for the person he snaps on. 

Loved the Morton/Gilbert angle. These guys can go and will give the fans some exciting matches. 

Dusty gives another golden promo. Him and Funk can beat each other up with fists and words. 

Can't wait for Season's Beatings! 

0v6HoOr.png

EPISODE #17

NOVEMBER 25, 1988

Update on Season’s Beatings and Wrestlecade

After last week’s show, the card for Clash of Champions II:  Season’s Beatings on December 7th was all set. 

VgE6skn.png

Lord Humongous vs Kendall Windham

Jimmy Valiant vs Rip Rogers with Terri Powers.  (If Valiant wins, he gets a date with Terri)

GRUDGE MATCH:

Hacksaw Butch Reed & Ron Simmons vs Snowman & Kareem Muhammed

SPECIAL SEGMENT:  PIPER’S PIT

with special guest, Terry Funk

U.S. TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Latin Connection vs Lightening Express

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

#1 CONTENDERS MATCH FOR THE WCW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: 

Samoan Swat Team vs The Texas Outlaws (Dick Murdoch/ Stan Hansen) 

MAIN EVENT:

$50,000 BATTLE ROYAL:  WINNER GETS A WORLD TITLE SHOT AT WRESTLECADE

While everyone was excited about the Battle Royal, one entrant might have stood out above

the rest.   During the Horseman’s promo about how they were going to make sure

Lex Luger and Sting never would  win the Battle Royal, a newcomer to WCW

walked out and it was like Ric Flair and Arn Anderson had seen a ghost.

9yfRfvJ.png 

Tully Blanchard made his arrival in WCW.  Blanchard ran down all the list of wrongs that were

done to him by Flair in the NWA and that he couldn’t wait to win that Battle Royal and take

back the World Title he never lost.  Flair took a while to gain his composure but when he did,

he rattled off one of his best promos ever and he made sure that Tully knew that he was the

best there is, the best there was and the best there will ever be.

Wrestlecade also took a big step forward with two huge matches signed.  It seems like the

WCW World Television Champion, Eddie Gilbert, took offense to Ricky Morton clobbering him

on TV last week.  This was caused by Hot Stuff who thought he had every right to interrupt

Morton’s interview where he was updating the public on the condition of his tag team partner

Robert Gibson.  This week the roles were reversed.  As Gilbert was belittling Morton and

making sure all the fans knew that Robert Gibson was the only reason the Rock n Roll Express

had any success as a tag team, Morton came out and interrupted Gilbert.  Ricky was

quick to point out that while Robert was a huge part of the Rock n Roll Express, both he and

Robert where both pretty darn good but it was Eddie Gilbert who always seemed to need

some help.  Morton went on to state that it was obvious to everyone watching how important

Missy Hyatt’s cheating in Gilbert’s success and that she was the biggest reason Hot Stuff even

had the TV title to begin with.  Missy seemed to take this as a compliment but Eddie was now

fuming and maybe without thinking, challenged Ricky to a Television Title match at Wrestlecade! 

Ricky quickly accepted and Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross quickly added to the hype of this bout. 

The show also began with another promo by Terry Funk from his home in Texas where he

challenged that Egg Suckin Dog, Dusty Rhodes to a Bull Rope Match at Wrestlecade and the

show ended with “The American Dream” gladly accepting the challenge. 

Matches now signed for Wrestlecade are:

Ky5OI13.png

WCW World Television Title Match

Eddie Gilbert © with Missy Hyatt vs Ricky Morton

U.S. Title Match

“Dangerous” Dan Spivey © with Woman vs Lex Luger

WCW World Title Match

Ric Flair © vs Woman vs Winner of the Battle Royal at Clash of Champions

BULL ROPE MATCH

Terry Funk vs “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes 

Summary of this Week’s Show….

We get a lot of jobber matches vs the stars for Clash of Champions and then a bunch of post-match promos hyping up the big event.  Dr. Diobolico did try to attack Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner during their match.  The Latin Connection (Mando Guerrero & Ricky Santana) joined Schiavone and Ross during the Lightening Express match vs Steve Stone and Rocky Jones.  They seemed upset at the quality of their opponents and thought that WCW was making it easy for them going into their U.S. Title match at Clash of Champions.  To try and give the Express some work, they sent in the muscular Dr. Diobolico for a sneak attack on the Express but they seemed ready for him.  It was lucky they were as Guerrero and Santana were right behind him.  This would have turned into a nasty 3-2 attack if Dr. Diobolico had any success.  Instead, Dr. Diobolico was left licking his wounds and the Lightening Express daring the Latin Connection to enter the ring.  A dare they turned down!

We also saw an out and out brawl in the main event as it was Dick Murdoch taking on Samu.  This lasted about 2 minutes before Stan Hansen and Fatu hit the ring.  These 4 monsters brawled all over the outside of the ring as Schiavone and Ross wondered if anybody was going to be able to control these 4 at Clash of Champions.

The Dirty White Boys continue their winning streak this week.  In their post-match interview they hoped that the Lightening Express would win the U.S. Titles at Clash of Champions so they could get to birds with one stone as they are set on taking out Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner and win the titles at the same time. 

Don Muraco also continued his winning streak and again he made sure that Schiavone and Ross addressed him as the “The Magnificent One.”   Both announcers made sure to listen as they did not want a repeat of last week when Muraco almost attacked them. 

On to Clash of Champions!

I've loved writing Flair and Blanchard's on and off feud for the past year plus. I'm so happy you're continuing it.

Season's Beatings and WrestleCade are both shaping up beautifully.

Rhodes vs Funk in a Texas Bull Rope match is just perfect. 

Might want to send down a second ref when The Texas Outlaws take on the Samoan Swat Team.

The Lightning Express has their eyes on the gold but they've also got the Dirty White Boys on their tail.

BTW, there's something up with your text where a part of it extends so far I had to swipe sideways to read it.

I liked AD's different path he took with the Horsemen and now the intrigue continues in WCW. I could see this going either way. You just never know with the Horsemen LOL. 

Props to you for setting up both the Clash and WrestleCade. I remember WCW used to present a Clash to set up the next pay per view and you've captured this well. 

Why do I have a feeling the upcoming Piper's Pit is going to go off the rails. 

WCW is ending 1988 with an epic bang. 

• 2 weeks later...

DPHaVAA.png

VgE6skn.png

DECEMBER 7

BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANAZambui

RIVERSIDE CENTROPLEX

OPENINNG BOUT

Lord Humongous with Oliver Humperdink defeats Kendall Windham in under two minutes with the powerbomb

IF JIMMY VALIANT DEFEATS RIP ROGERS, HE GETS A DATE WITH TERRI POWERS

Rip Rogers defeats Jimmy Valiant with a low blow by Terri as Valiant had the sleeper locked in on Rogers.  Somehow, she managed to kick Valiant below the belt without the ref seeing, just after he scolded her for being up on the apron.  Valiant seemed extremely depressed as he left the ring while Terri Powers looked relieved that she would not have to go out with the Boogie Woogie Man.

GRUDGE MATCH:

Hacksaw Butch Reed & Ron Simmons vs Snowman & Kareem Muhammed ended in a No Contest as a large black man rushed from the back in his Army fatigues and attacked Reed and Simmons on their way to the ring.  We will have to wait until the next TV show to find out who this attacker was.  Right behind Akeem where Muhammed and Snowman.  This three on two attack seemed to be big trouble for Reed and Simmons until a shocking return to WCW by none other than Tony Atlas occurred.  The crowd cheered as Atlas, Reed and Simmons flexed their muscles and tossed the surprised Nation from pillar to post.

SPECIAL SEGMENT:  PIPER’S PIT

With special guest, Terry Funk

Roddy Piper:  Well everyone, Welcome to Piper’s Pit and I must say that we have a very special guest for our first Piper’s Pit here in WCW… none other than Terry Funk himself.  The greatest dog gone Cowboy I’ve ever seen.  I mean between you, your brother Dory Jr and your Dad, Dory Sr., you guys have ruled Texas Wrestling for decades.  No matter what people like Stan Hansen, Dick Murdoch and most of all, The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes say… the Funks are the real Cowboys in this sport.  It’s a pleasure to have you, Mr. Funk.  Please sit-down Terry.

Terry Funk:  I’ll just stand of that’s okay with you Piper as I’m here to talk about Dawgs.  And I know with all you’ve gone through in this sport that you know a lot about Dawgs!

Piper:  And why don’t you tell us about the different types of dogs there are.

Funk:  My Daddy told me that a good dawg is worth his wait in gold.  I mean a good dog can bring you a feast when you go out hunting.  A good dog can protect your ranch from all kinds a varmints that can attack your livestock at anytime of day or night.  A good dog can be just about the best company a man can have when he’s out there branding cattle.

Piper:  I don’t mean to interrupt Mr. Funk but what does a cow sound like when you put that hot fire on them.

Funk: Agggggghhhhhhhhhh

(As Piper is laughing)

Funk:  But let me get back to Dawgs!  I told you about the good ones.  Now let me tell you about the bad ones.  Bad Dawgs are the fat, good for nothing Dawgs that just want you to hand them things.  They want a nice bed made for them but do nothing to earn it.  They want you to pet them all night but did nothing for you all day.  They want you to feed them and give them treats as they just sit there and get fatter and fatter.

Piper:  Bad dogs seem like the type of animal you don’t want to brand as you don’t want anybody to know they are part of your ranch!

Funk:  Oh on the contrary Mr. Piper.  On the contrary.  We have a bad dog right here in WCW and I am going to brand him?

Piper:  I’m not sure I understand.

Funk:  Oh, I think you do.  We have got someone here he just gets fatter and fatter.  He wants everyone to give him something for nothing.  He wants title shots.  He wants everyone to bow down at his feet.  He wants and he wants…. That’s right Dusty Rhodes is an EGG SUCKIN DAWG!

Piper:  And did you say you were going to brand him?

Funk:  At Wrestlecade, I Terry Funk will brand Dusty Rhodes!  Oh and Piper, Do you know what an Egg Suckin Dawg sounds like when you brand him?

Piper:  I have no idea.

Funk:  HeeHaw, HeeHaw, HeeHaw…. That’s because Dusty Rhodes, besides being an Egg Suckin Dawg, he is also a Jackass!

WHAM…. The walls of Piper’s Pit come crashing down.  Dusty Rhodes is here and the brawl is on!  Funk and Rhodes are all over each other as Piper just sits back and watches.  At one point, he asked the cameraman for some popcorn as he can’t look away.  Before we are forced to go to break to get control of the situation, both Rhodes and Funk are showing some color.

U.S. TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: 

The Latin Connection © (Guerrero & Santana) with Dr. Diobolico defeated The Lightening Express as Guerrero rolled up Horner and got the pin with a grab of the tights and two feet across the middle rope.  This occurred as Dr. Diobolico had hold of Armstrong’s legs and wouldn’t let him make the save.

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

#1 Contender’s Match for the WCW World Tag Team Title.  Winner faces Ted Dibiase and Steve Williams at Wrestlecade on December 26th!

The Samoan Swat Team with Gary Hart defeated The Texas Outlaws (Murdoch & Hansen) in an all-out brawl that saw each team have many near falls.  Both teams were a bit bloody and the cameraman seemed to like seeing the Samoans lick their own blood with a Savage smile on their faces.  This left Schiavone and Ross a bit disgusted by this cannibalistic behavior.  The end saw Hansen get a Savat Kick to the temple by Samu.  Murdoch tried to make the save but he also took a kick from Fatu for his troubles.

MAIN EVENT:  $50,000 BATTLE ROYAL:  WINNER GETS A WORLD TITLE SHOT AT WRESTLECADE

The entrants:  Butch Reed, Ron Simmons, Lord Humungous, Rip Rogers, Snowman, Kareem Muhammed, Sting, Brad Armstrong, Mando Guerrero, Ricky Santana, Dr. Diobolico, Dick Murdoch, Stan Hansen, Samu, Fatu, Dan Spivey, Tully Blanchard, Terry Funk and Lex Luger

-Jimmy Valiant was a No Show when his name was called out.

The Order of Wrestlers Eliminated:

1.      Rip Rogers by Tully Blanchard with a simple shove from behind while Rogers was flexing to the crowd.

2.      Dr. Diabolico by Lex Luger as The Latin Connection tried to make a name for themselves and attacked Sting.  Sting and Luger with a quick high five for each other and then went back to work.

3.     Ricky Santana, Brad Armstrong and Mando Guerrero by Lord Humongous as Santana and Guerrero were in the middle of double-teaming Armstrong.  Humongous simply barreled into all three and they went flying.

4.     Ron Simmons by Dan Spivey as Simmons was in the middle of fighting with Kareem Muhammed and Spivey thought he would be opportunistic.

5.     Snowman by Hacksaw Butch Reed who just overpowered his enemy and press slammed him to the arena floor.

6.     Kareem Muhammed by Butch Reed who quickly turned his attention to his other former teammate.  This time he got Muhammed with a running lariat and out went Muhammed.

7.     Dick Murdoch in another sneak attack by Dan Spivey as Murdoch was on his way to help his tag partner, Stan Hansen, who was dealing with both members of the Samoan Swat Team.

8.     Stan Hansen by Fatu and Samu.  Without the help of Murdoch, there was nothing Hansen could do. 

9.     Lord Humongous by everyone in a united effort as they thought it was now or never.

10.  Samu and Fatu by Sting and Luger who just looked at each other and said “why not” as everyone was bunched up against the ropes after the disposal of Humongous.

11.  Butch Reed by Terry Funk as Funk had pulled a pair of brass knucks from his trunks and nailed the unsuspecting Reed.  Funk then simply rolled Reed over the ropes and out onto the floor.

There are now just 5 left:  Terry Funk, Lex Luger, Tully Blanchard, Dan Spivey and Sting

12.   Terry Funk by Dusty Rhodes…. That’s right Funk was eliminated by someone who was not even in the Battle Royal as the career long feud that had been ignited again tonight during Piper’s Pit, spilled over to the Battle Royal.  A bandaged Rhodes simply ran into the ring and clobbered a tired Funk with elbow after elbow and then simply dragged him over the rope and out onto the floor where the brawl continued all they way behind the curtain.

13.   Tully Blanchard by another Spivey sneak attack.  Even the wrestlers are all-in on the Dusty-Funk feud and Blanchard got caught watching the two legends go at it!

It’s down to Spivey, Luger and Sting.  Spivey is trying to convince Luger to team up and go after Sting.  Spivey has ulterior motive here as he is trying to do anything is his power not to put his United States title on the line against Luger at Wrestlecade and if Luger wins this Battle Royal he would face Ric Flair for the World Title! 

14.   Dan Spivey by Sting and Luger as Luger would have nothing to do with Spivey’s plan.

15.    What happens next?  We have two best friends in Luger and Sting with a common enemy in the Horseman?  We one turn on the other here? 

Of course NOT!  Luger asks for a microphone.

Lex Luger:  “Sting, my brother, I already have Spivey at Wrestlecade!  You get Flair and together we finish the Horsemen!”

The two embrace and Luger simply rolls himself out onto the floor and gives the match and the money to Sting!  Schiavone and Ross are now hyping up Wrestlecade as the event that may mark the last time we ever see the Horsemen!

The Warlord of the Wasteland continues his rampage.

To be fair to the ref, Terri seems like the kind of woman who can make a man miss the obvious.

Reed's campaign against the Nation steps up a notch as both sides add a new recruit.

Piper and the Funkers exchange was everything I thought it'd be. 

The LC hold onto the gold with some help from the Dr.

After tonight, Hansen has plenty of reason to be mad at Murdoch. In his own mind anyway.

Loved all the details in the battle royal and especially the ending of Luger handing the win to Sting.

Hey Roddy and Terry... here's a microphone... do work... and they did it. WrestleCade is going to be something spectacular when all is said and done. 1989 was a banner year for Luger IRL and Sting who came into his own in a huge way. Flair is no slouch though... dude had an amazing 89 and could still turn it on at anytime... add in Funk, Dusty, Piper... damn now we're talking.  I appreciate this thing with Humungous... always a fun gimmick in my eyes... looking forward to what WCW can accomplish in 1989 and who rises to the top of a very full pool of talent.

Squash matches are the way to get monsters over. This is working for Humungous.

AWWWWW poor Boogie Woogie Man. Looks like Terri has stolen his heart and broke it. 

Reed, Simmons and Atlas! Damn, that's one put together stable. 

Piper and Funk together with mics can never be bad. Funk gives one epic promo but it's ruined by that egg suck'n dawg and jackass Dusty Rhodes LOL. Their match at WrestleCade is going to be insane. 

The Latin Connection pull it off in fitting fashion. 

Oh man, the SST were put over strong tonight. Williams and Dibiase better be ready. 

Great job writing up the battle royal. Very easy to follow. I can't believe Funk and Rhodes managed to get even more heat. I thought Tully was going to win it but we get a happy ending with Luger bowing out for the greater good. WrestleCade could be Sting's big moment. Although, I have a feeling something big is coming with the Horsemen. They always have a plan. 

Bring on WrestleCade! 

DPHaVAA.png

EPISODE #19

DECEMBER 16, 1988

Fall Out from Clash of Champions:  Season’s Beatings

- “The Boogie Woogie” Jimmy Valiant, who lost his match to “The Hustler” Rip Rogers at Clash of Champions and did not show up for the Battle Royal has apparently left WCW.  Speculation is that he was too distraught about not getting a date with Terri Powers that he had to move on.

- Stan Hansen has also left WCW.  Right or wrong, Hansen said that he and Murdoch just didn’t seem to be on the same page of late.  Hansen says that he has all the respect in the world for Murdoch but he said that his first priority was winning titles and he wanted to pursue that goal in a different promotion. 

- It turns out that the man who aided the Nation (Snowman & Muhammed) in their Pearl Harbor job on Hacksaw Butch Reed and Ron Simmons was Curtis Hughes.  For those old Memphis fans, Hughes spent some time there as the bodyguard for Dutch Mantell but never really got a shot in wrestling.  This fueled his anger and helped him decide to join the Nation, an anti-establishment group, who is “fighting the system.”  Lucky for Reed and Simmons that Tony Atlas was in attendance and ready to help.  The story was that Atlas was in town talking to Jim Herd about a job as he had recently been released by the AWA.  Atlas, who spent most of 1988 as a heel was asked why he had decided to help Simmons and Reed.  Atlas said that he and Hacksaw Butch Reed have had a similar career in wrestling and he felt a connection to him.  Atlas says, just like Reed, he was frustrated at the lack of title shots he was getting and turned on both the promoters and the fans before seeing the light.  Atlas hoped that he can make up for lost time and show the fans again why they were in love with Mr. USA back in the day.  He is also excited to see Hacksaw Reed and the young upstart, Ron Simmons do the same.

Summary of this Week’s Show….

o3uXtrL.png

- The show started with a replay of Piper’s Pit from Clash of Champions where Terry Funk was bad mouthing Dusty Rhodes and when Dusty came out of nowhere and destroyed the Piper’s Pit set as a wild brawl from Dusty and Funk raged all over the arena floor.  The interesting thing here was when Jim Ross stated to Piper that he was surprised that Piper didn’t join in on the attack of the American Dream, Piper responded that he has nothing but neutral sense he arrived in WCW and he had nothing in common with a rancher from West Texas in Terry Funk or a rather bloated American icon in Dusty Rhodes.

cxJzmia.png

-  Brother Hughes, the newest member of the Nation, had his first real match in WCW where he destroyed Allen Thomas with a powerslam.  Hughes was joined at ringside by Snowman and Kareem Muhammed.  After the match, the trio seemed rather upset at Tony Atlas who had jumped in to help Ron Simmons and Butch Reed at Clash of Champions.  Snowman had pointed out that Atlas had seemed to turn a corner recently in the AWA as he seemed to understand that he was being kept down by the authority.  Muhammed pointed out that Atlas was just another Uncle Tom like Simmons and Reed.  Snowman pointed out that with the addition of Brother Hughes, the Nation was at its strongest point ever.  Huges, in a dark suit, sunglasses and bowtie, remained silent but just nodded in agreement.  The three challenges Simmons, Reed and Atlas to a 6-Man tag team match at Wrestlecade.  This match was quickly accepted by the fan favorites. 

0DkohHr.png     0ilBLCx.png

- The U.S. Champion, Dan Spivey seems to be walking on thin ice with the other Horsemen as Flair and Arn both questioned him on his attempt to help Lex Luger win the Battle Royal at Clash of Champions.  This would have gotten Spivey out of his U.S. Title match with Luger at Wrestlecade.  Spivey tried to deny that he was in fact trying to help Luger but when the Horsemen showed the video of him trying to convince Sting to turn on Luger, he had no choice but to admit it.  Spivey then tried to pump up Flair by saying how great he was and that he knew that Luger would be easy pickens for him.  Flair didn’t buy this and then seemed to get even more angry when Spivey threw his own words back at him and reminded him that “to be the best, you had to beat the best! 

W8zkQiq.jpg?1     Tcpnh1i.png

-The Dusty Rhodes-Terry Funk heat couldn’t get any hotter as they head into Wrestlecade and their Bull Rope Match.  When this week’s Terry Funk promo started with “What does an Egg-Suckin Dawg know about bull roping” the brawl was on!  Dusty, for the second straight time, forgot that he was the babyface in all of this and attacked Funk in perfect heel, Pearl Harbor fashion.  Wrestlers poured out from the back but nothing was going to stop this one.  Eventually Jim Herd came out and grabbed the mic and threatened to cancel their Bull Rope Match and suspend both if the nonsense didn’t stop right now!  Funk and Rhodes realized that to continue their feud at Wrestlecade, they needed to behave now so they gave a few more shoves and a few more insults and then went their separate ways.

-Sting, after a nice win over Big Money Marcus came to the podium where he thanked Lex Luger for allowing him this title shot against Ric Flair at Wrestlecade.  Luger and Sting were the last two left at the Battle Royal at Clash of Champions when Luger decided to quit the match and allow Sting to win the battle royal and get the title shot.  Both Sting and Luger gave fiery promos on how Wrestlecade would mark the end of the Horsemen.  Tully Blanchard came out and also congratulated Sting on his title shot and went on to say that while Sting will be the new champion after Wrestlecade, it will be him, Tully Blanchard who will finish off Ric Flair in WCW.

RDmoPf0.png     

Don Muraco also continued his winning streak but again he made happy with Schiavone and Ross.  As hew went over to the podium, Schiavone, Ross and Piper all seemed focused on what just went down between Terry Fink and Dusty Rhodes.  Muraco started screaming at Schiavone and Ross about how he is the undefeated one here in WCW and that they need to focus on the Magnificent One.  Jim Ross looked at him like he was crazy and went on to ask Muraco if he had just witnessed what happened between two legends in the sport.  This sent Muraco off and he shoved Jim Ross and got right in the face of Tony Schiavone.  Roddy Piper tried to calm things down and came in and put a hand on Muraco’s shoulder…”Hey Don, calm down.  Just calm down.”  Muraco pushed Piper’s hand off his shoulder and then shoved Schiavone hard enough to make the announcer stumble.  This time Piper comes in a bit strong and grabs Muraco by the left arm.  WHAM… Muraco clobbers Piper with a big right hand and Piper goes down.  With Piper and Schiavone on the ground, Muraco gets right in the face of Jim Ross and demands that he call him the “Magnificent One” which Ross quickly does. As Murraco starts to walk off, Piper gets up.  Roddy Piper:  Ok now…. Hold on just a minute… just a minute Murraco.  Ever sense you got here, you’ve been demanding things.  You demand to have interviews.  You demand to be on TV each and every week.  You demand to be called the Magnificent One.  But now, now, you’ve gone too far.  You put your hands on me.  The one who has been stickin up for you ever since you got here.  Well, “old Hot Rod” has had enough.  What’s say you and I stop dancing around the truth.  We don’t like each other.  In fact, we hate each other….. So how about you and I get it on at Wrestlecade?  Muraco doesn’t even hesitate.  He points to his head like a lightbulb just when off.  He smugly shakes his head in agreement and then simple walks off! 

1tc4Pou.png

vOLS1GX.png  qOg85vR.png?1

-Prior to this week, we were all set with the WCW World Television Title match for Wrestlecade with the champion, “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert set to take on Ricky Morton.  Not much changed here.  Hot Stuff and Missy Hyatt gave a poolside promo about how they did not even need to train to beat Ricky Morton while Morton had a quick TV match and then a promo with Piper.  The interesting thing was that during Morton’s promo, Roddy Piper asked Morton to take a look at a video for a second.  The video was of his Rock n Roll Express partner Robert Gibson who still had both eyes bandaged from the injury caused by the Latin Connection and the hair removal cream.  Gibson offered words of encouragement and let everyone know that while is been rough, he is doing better and hopes to return at full strength at some point.  Morton was obviously choked up and looked like he was crying.  He basically said that his winning of the TV title will be in honor of Robert. 

Fc2PFYz.png     kh3KGlc.png

-The WCW World Tag Team Title Match is all set.  While Bounty Gate has passed with no money collected, Gary Hart would like nothing better than to have his Samoan Swat Team dethrone Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death.  The champs were not the least bit phased by anyone Hart has set after him trying to collect Sheik Adnan Al Kassie’s bounty.  The difference here is that they have no faced anyone like the Samoan Swat Team.  Both teams destroyed their opponents on this week’s show and seemed really confident with their chances of coming out on top.  Title change or not, this is going to be a war!

-The shocker of the night came when the Laton Connection were with Roddy Pipper at the interview area and they were being more heelish then ever.  Mando Guerrero was gloating at how easy it was at Clash of Champions to beat the Lightening Express.  When Piper tried to put them back in their place by saying it must have easy when they basically fought the match 3-2 as Dr. Dumbolico seemed to be helping out, Ricky Santana smugly put his title in Piper’s face and said that it’s been a long time since Piper’s skirt has been held up by anything gold!  Piper just smirked before mentioning that he had a message from Jim Herd about who they were going to face at Wrestlecade with their U.S. Tag Team Titles on the line.  At first Mando was angry claiming that they just defended their titles but Ricky calmed him down by reminding them that they have easily beaten every team that has been put in front of them.  Piper, interrupted by clearing his throat and told the Latin Connection that they would actually be facing a team that they had never faced.  When Mando asked who Piper smiled and said…. The …. Fabulous…. Freebirds!  Mando and Santana went crazy as Piper laughed as hard as he could.

phywyeN.png

And that sets the stage for Wrestlecade!

Ky5OI13.png

WCW WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH

6-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

Hacksaw Reed, Tony Atlas & Ron Simmons vs Snowman, Kareem Muhammed & Brother Hughes

The Latin Connection (Guerrero & Santana) with Dr. Diobolico vs The Freebirds (Hayes & Garvin)

GRUDGE MATCH

“Hot Rod” Roddy Piper vs “The Magnificent One” Don Muraco

WCW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Ted Dibiase & Dr. Death Steve Williams © vs The Samoan Swat Team with Gary Hart

UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH

“Dangerous” Dan Spivey © with Woman vs “The Total Package” Lex Luger

BULLROPE MATCH

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes vs Terry Funk

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

Ric Flair © with Woman vs Sting

Your WrestleCade event is so much better than the 1988 and 1989 Starrcades put together.  I kinda wish Eddie had a tv title run - he could have done some fun stuff with that title. I feel like Sting should have been at the US title level in 89 IRL.  Doom is looming... gimme the Freebirds to walk out with the US tag titles... Hot Rod doesn't job for anyone....  I don't know if Gary Hart will be the final factor... but I think he will play a role. Luger will become US champ someway/somehow... Dusty is the king of the Bullrope and I don't see him getting dethroned.... is Sting able to beat Flair in 88... he's been built... he has the momentum...  I don't know if WCW is ready for all that change though and Flair seems like the best choice to get 1989 going... but it won't be too long for the Stinger.

Morton is exactly the kind of pure hearted babyface you want to put up against a egotistical prick like Gilbert.

Mr, pardon me, Brother Hughes is a perfect fit for the Nation. Nice touch having Snowman touch on Atlas's run in the AWA.

The Freebirds are coming and they've got gold in their sights.

The Piper/Muraco situation turned sour fast.

The Tag Title match could the whole arena down.

Spivey may have more than his title on the line when he faces Luger.

Rhodes....Funk.... Texas Bullrope Match... something's gotta give.

Sting is shooting to the top in record time but is he ready to unseat the Nature Boy?

The stage is definitely set for WrestleCade. 

This card has it all. Big time feuds, title bouts, grudge matches and the last minute surprises were great.

It was only a matter of time before Piper got back in the ring. Muraco is the perfect foe here.

The Latin Connection is going to walk down Bad Street! 

The Nation get some muscle with Hughes, but Atlas more than evens things out. 

I think Gilbert and Morton might steal the show.

Williams and Dibiase are awesome but can they stop the SST? 

Rhodes vs. Funk in a bullrope match, what else can I say. 

Spivey is on thin ice with the Horsemen and having Tully around adds a lot of intrigue. 

I'm really looking forward to the world title bout and the direction you go in 89. 

DPHaVAA.png

Ky5OI13.png

HEMISFAIR ARENA

sCIdDOL.png

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

DECEMEBER 26,1988

A note to the readers:  In all my years in this hobby this was truly the hardest event for me to write.  The reason is simple.  I have no idea what direction I am heading in for 1989.  I was torn on who I was going to put over in 5 of my matches and this might have led to some poorly booked matches.  Hopefully, with a little planning time I can take some time and get WCW in order! 

6-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

Hacksaw Reed, Tony Atlas & Ron Simmons defeats Snowman, Kareem Muhammed & Brother Hughes when Hacksaw Butch Reed followed up his military press slam on Snowman with a nasty football tackle.  The match saw everyone get a little shine with Brother Hughes being the most successful member of the losing team.  The end saw Atlas battling Muhammed and Simmons brawling with Hughes which left Snowman and Reed going head-to-head.  This is where this angle began way back in April in Ernie Ladd’s Mid-South Wrestling Revolution.  Snowman did everything he could do to make sure Reed never got a title shot because he thought Reed was bowing down to authority.  It was only fitting that these two would be the two battling at the end in this rather clean, all-out brawling finish.  After the match, the fan favorites celebrated with a little fun-natured flex off! 

AAdPXwJ.png 63lZlhk.png   XUhEixp.png

WCW WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH

Possibly the match of the night.  From Eddie’s arrogance to Morton’s energy to Missy’s dress, nobody took their eyes off the ring even for a second during the entire match.  This was easily the fastest-paced match of the night and the bumping and selling by each man made each move seem like it could be the last.  With less than a minute left, the end seemed to come when Ricky connected with a top rope missile drop kick, but Missy was able to drape Gilbert’s leg over the bottom rope.  This led to a very unsatisfying time-limit draw.  Morton was fuming at Missy Hyatt and went out after her but Eddie had recovered enough and when Morton turned the corner he was nailed by Hot Stuff.  Gilbert and Missy took the tv title and headed to the back. 

53HeAUT.png

The Latin Connection (Guerrero & Santana) with Dr. Diobolico vs The Freebirds (Hayes & Garvin)

The Latin Connection had succeeded in WCW by completely ignoring the rule book.  From hair cream to low blows, Mando and Ricky have blazed a path of cheating.  The problem here is that whatever dirty trick they tried, Michael had done it years ago.  With the Freebirds one step ahead of the Latin Connection, Mando and Ricky’s title reign depended on Dr. Diobolico.  The problem here was that Michael had snuck up behind him at one point and rubbed his own hair cream in his eyes resulting in Diobolico being taken to the back by the medics.  This ledto a wild finish with all four men in the ring where Jimmy and Michael hit a double running bulldog and Michael pinned Mando to win the titles.

ageE8h6.png

GRUDGE MATCH

“Hot Rod” Roddy Piper vs “The Magnificent One” Don Muraco

This match seemed to come out of nowhere.  Piper has been Muraco’s only real supporter since he arrived in WCW.  The Magnificent One’s arrogance has rubbed everyone the wrong way but Piper told everyone that he could back up what he said.  For Piper, that all changed when Muraco went too far and shoved both Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone last week.  When Piper tried to step in and control Muraco, he got a shot from the Hawaiian Hammer.  Piper was fuming and asked for this match at Wrestlecade. 

Muraco was the first to the ring and he seemed to relish in the chorus of boos.  He loves the attention and just smirks at the crows and waves his arms in the air asking for more negative attention.  The boos instantly turned to cheers as the bagpipes begin to blare.  Piper, in his traditional white tee shirt and plaid skirt was squeezing the bags and playing the pipes.  When Piper entered the ring both he and Muraco went face to face in a huge stare down!

Ref Pee Wee Anderson simply calls for the bell!

WHAM… Low Blow by Piper and Muraco drops to his knees!

WHAM … Piper, without even trying to hide it, pulls a pair of brass knuckles from his trunks and nails Muraco in the head.  Muraco is out!

Pee Wee Anderson instantly calls for the bell and the DQ of Piper.

Piper, who could care less of the win, simply tosses the brass knuckles in the air and walks out leaving a “rocked” Muraco laying in the center of the ring. 

o3uXtrL.png

WCW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Ted Dibiase & Dr. Death Steve Williams © vs The Samoan Swat Team with Gary Hart

Not much to say here.  We all know this is going to be survival of the fittest.  The Samoans will hit a lot of big chops, savat kicks and nerve holds while adding in a few face pulls, punches and even one or two Samoan Drops.  Dr. Death, while very technically savvy in his ground game is going to focus on big power moves with different types of suplexes and body slams.  Dibiase, the one with the ability to slow this match down will add in a few arm bars and headlocks while working on the huge legs of Samu and Fatu as he tries to soften them up for the Figure 4.  Let’s not forget Gary Hart who will use every trick in the book to give his men the advantage. As for the ending, we see Ted Dibiase play the face in peril and take a pretty good beating before making the hot tag to Dr. Death.  Dr. Death goes absolutely wild on the Samoans and clears house including a fan-favorite, big right hand to Gary Hart who tumbled out of the ring.  Dibiase and scoops up Fatu and with an amazing feet of strength, hits the Oklahoma Stampede on the big Samoan for the win.  The problem was that Dr. Death seemed to be severely hobbling after the match.  It looked like Dibiase whispered something in his ear after the match but Dr. Death just shrugged his shoulders. 

N5B6nBF.png

UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH

“Dangerous” Dan Spivey © with Woman vs “The Total Package” Lex Luger

Spivey might be the champion and have 4 inches and 30 pounds on Luger but you can tell he wanted no piece of Lex.  It was almost comical at times watching this huge monster playing the frightened heel.  Luger took advantage of this and controlled much of the match but Spivey is just too big and strong to be kept down the entire time.  Both men hit some huge moves and had many close calls. 

In the end, we see Spivey pounding on Lex.  Lex, slowly begins to rise from the ground while Spivey continues to punch away.  Lex just shakes off the last blow and then shakes his head “no” at Spivey.  The crowd goes wild!  Luger now starts clobbering Spivey and down goes the champ.  Luger with the Irish Whip! 

WHAM…. Powerslam on Spivey.

Instead of going for the pin, Lex gives the “Rack” sign to the crowd!

Can Lex rack the 310 pound Spivey?

Lex scoops up Spivey but he can’t hold him and Spivey crashes to the floor.

Lex regroups and again calls for the Rack!

Again, Lex scoops up Spivey.

This time he locks it in and he is bending Spivey in half.

Finally, Spivey taps!

Luger is running from corner to corner!  Flexing to the crowd as the ref hands him the United States Title!

enShePN.png

BULLROPE MATCH

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes vs Terry Funk

First the rules.  Each man is tied together by a bull rope.  To win, you must drag your opponent to all four corners of the ring.  Pins and submissions do not count.  No DQ.

Next, the entrance.  Funk comes to the ring wearing his orange “Dusty sucks eggs” T Shirt, a black cowboy hat, jeans and he is carrying his trusted branding iron.  Dusty comes out wearing a simple white T-shirt, a white cowboy hat which he takes off to reveal an American flag headband, jeans and some big old cowboy boots.

The opening segment, WAR!  Dusty and Terry just beat the other to Hell with neither willing to go down.  It wasn’t long before we get color.  Both men take multiple turns fighting from the top as neither will give an inch.  Before the wild stuff even starts, we have an instant classic!

Next, from out of nowhere comes Jimmy Jack Funk.  Terry’s cousin who started all of this nonsense back in August when he attacked Ron Simmons.  Dusty came to the aid of Simmons and then went nuts of Jimmy Jack just because he was a Funk.  This brought Terry to WCW and here we are.  Now, since this is a NO DQ Match, Jimmy Jack went straight to the ring and started to go to work on Dusty.  Terry seemed to want no part of this as he wanted to beat Dusty all by himself.  He told Jimmy Jack to get the Hell out of the ring which he did.  Problem was, the damage might have already been done.  Funk is now all over Dusty.  Even from the arena floor, Jimmy Jack couldn’t help himself and still got in a few more blows on the American Dream!

The Last Straw?  Jimmy Jack must have hit Dusty one too many times as “Captain Redneck,” to the delight of the fans, rushed out and clobbered Jimmy Jack.  Murdoch now began cheering for Dusty and the crowd feeds off of his energy.  Together, Murdoch and the crowd implore Dusty to rise to his feet.  He was shaking off each and every blow from Terry Funk like an elephant would shake off a bit from a gnat.  Finally Dusty is all over Funk and the moment is completely in Dream’s favor.

The End!  Dusty, the bull rope, and the multiple bionic elbows have Funk basically out of his feet!  He starts to drag Terry around the ring!

Corner #1… Dusty slaps it as the fans go wild!

Corner #2… Dusty slaps it and the crows is getting louder.  Murdoch is up imploring Dusty to go!

Corner #3… Dusty slaps it and the crowd is going bonkers.  Murdoch is on the apron and screaming at Dusty “one more corner.”

Dusty is dragging Terry to the last corner!

WHAM…Big, Stiff Right Hand by Dick Murdoch… on Dusty Rhodes… the crowd is silent!!

After a long minute, Funk is up before Dusty.

WHAM… Piledriver by Funk!

Funk now drags Dusty to Corner #1, Corner #2, Corner #3 and…

Corner #4!

Murdoch simply walks away from the ring.  The crowd is too stunned to even notice him and he escapes with minimal debris being thrown his way.  Funk looks down at a fallen Dusty gives him what some will say was a nod of approval while others will say it was an arrogant smirk.

Disclaimer:  Not sure I like the ending here.  This will be Dusty’s last match in WCW with Terry Funk remaining.  I did not want to weaken Funk at all but out of loyalty I did not want to have Funk with a clean win over Dusty.  In a match that should have ended with no outside interference, I couldn’t help myself.  Dusty has been the man in NWA/WCW history and thought he should leave on top.  Also without Hansen, I thought Murdoch needed a change.  What better way then to create the new, more evil Texas Outlaws with Terry Funk.  Thoughts…  Ideas on how I could have done this better would be appreciated. 

yiof9g5.png

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

Ric Flair © with Woman vs Sting

Another instant classic where Flair did everything he could to make sure this was a Match of the Year candidate.  Sting controlled a lot of the action and included a few early Stinger Splashes but no pin.  We also had Flair give his patented “Now We Go To School” rant as he locked in the Figure 4 but this also didn’t lead to the end. 

Soon after the match started, the arena floor became a little crowded.  First Arn Anderson and Dan Spivey join Woman in Flair’s corner and then Tully Blanchard and Lex come out to make sure the Horsemen don’t try any shenanigans against Sting.

With Sting on top, Flair shoved Sting into ref Pee Wee Anderson who went face first into the ring post.  This is where the chaos started. 

Sting whips Flair into the corner one more time and connects with another Stinger Splash.  Flair takes 3 steps towards the center of the ring and falls flat on his face like only Flair can do.  Sting grabs both legs and is going for the Scorpion Death Leg.  Sting twists both legs and steps over Flair and sits down deep into Flair’s back.  Sting has the Scorpion Death Lock locked in!

Here comes Arn and Spivey but they are cut off by Tully and Lex.  Lex is all over Spivey while Tully and Arn just seem to stare each other down.  Flair is struggling but there is no ref.  Somehow, he is able to drag himself all the way over to the corner but again, with no ref, Sting just drags him right back to the center of the ring.

For the second time tonight, Lex has Spivey in the Rack and then slams him to the arena floor and then heads to the ring!

Lex sees that Sting has Flair in serious trouble and is cheering him on!  Tully heads over to get ref Pee Wee Anderson up again as he senses the end is near. 

Pee Wee is up and coming over to see if Flair is going to submit!

Arn nods to Lex in a way that makes it seem like Arn knows it is over!

WHAM… Huge kick by Tully Blanchard to the head of Sting!!

Pee Wee Anderson immediately calls for the DQ!

Before Lex can process what has happened, Tully and Arn are all over him!

Eventually, we get a 3-2 beat down of Sting and Luger by Flair, Tully and Arn Anderson.

When Sting and Luger are finished off, Tully extends his hand to Ric Flair.  Flair hesitates… shoved the hand away… then gives Tully a huge hug!

The Horsemen leave together and make one last stop.  That is over the fallen Dan Spivey where they each give him a good kick good bye as he is obviously out f the stable. 

3pqUh1S.png

The power trio get us off to a strong start.

Missy once again comes in clutch for her man. I wouldn't mind a rematch.

The Freebirds make a huge splash in their debut.

Piper said "fuck this match. I'mma just beat his ass."

What is Dibiase up to now that Hart and the Samoans seem to be behind them?

I'm gonna wait to hear Murdoch's explanation before assigning final judgement but his turn was definitely a surprise.

Major shakeup in the Horsemen. Spivey is out, Blanchard is in, Flair's still got the World title but Sting and new US champ Luger will still be on his trail.

ImB8m81.png

k5mo5Gv.png?2

WCW announced on Friday that Executive Vice-President Jim Herd has been released.  WCW officials announced that due to creative differences, Jim Herd will continue to work for WTBS but will no longer be involved in the popular wrestling program.  One angle created by Jim Herd was that upset many people is the “injury” to Robert Gibson.  This basically broke up the Rock n Roll Express, one of the most popular tag teams ever to step inside the ring.  While Morton has thrived in his attempt to capture the WCW World Television title, it has left Gibson out of the territory weeks after signing a very lucrative contract.  Many officials want Herd to explain how Gibson sitting on the shelf can give any return on their investment.  Herd did not seem to have an answer.  Next, WCW has seen a bit of a mass exodus of wrestling stars in the past month.  This includes Stan Hansen, Jimmy Valiant, Armondo Guererro along with one of the biggest stars in the industry, “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes.  Stan Hansen jumped ship when Herd demanded that he take part in a comedic angle where he would be the leader of the Desperados.  If you know anything about Stan Hansen, you know that he would not be a part of any comedic angle.  Jimmy Valiant was frustrated as he was being portrayed as some dirty old man instead of the fun-loving hippie that he has been for much of the last decade.  The one that really broke the camel’s back was Dusty Rhodes.  Jim Herd wanted Dusty to go down in defeat to Terry Funk and then return the next week ditching his blue-collar persona and come out in a polka dot dress.

Even after Dusty left, Jim Herd did not seem to smarten up.  After Wrestlecade, he was said to have gone to the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Ric Flai, and told him that he was going to lose his “Nature Boy” gimmick and start to come to the ring as a Roman gladiator.  Flair called a wrestlers-only meeting where they agreed that it was either Jim Herd or them.  Thus… Herd was relieved of his wrestling dutues.

In 1989, WCW will turn to promoter Jerry Jarrett. 

Zpz6BJr.png

The reasons why are numerous.  One person said that the difference between Jim Herd and Jerry Jarrett is like night and day.  Herd knew nothing of the wrestling business while Jarrett has spent his entire life in and around wrestling.  He has been a wrestler.  He has been a promoter.  He has done everything in the business.  He turned Memphis into one of the best promotions in the country with very believable yet creative storylines all with a relatively small budget.  While it has only been a few days since he has joined WCW, many popular wrestlers have inquired about joining WCW.  One was actually quoted as saying, “Jerry Jarrett has the best track record in the business. He just loves everything about the wrestling business.  He loves the studio, the arenas, the fans…  He lives for professional wrestling.  This quote is by the one and only Jake “The Snake” Roberts who will be returning to WCW for 1989.  Who else will Jerry Jarrett bring in to replace the wrestlers who have left?  Tune in to WTBS each and every weekend to find out. 

Wrestlecade was an absolute success in my opinion. There were definitely some surprises that popped up here in there but overall the execution was pretty damn good. The thing I like is that each match had a purpose and I know that even with the WWF sometimes I just throw matches on to have them whereas you put together a card that had meaning from top to bottom. Tully Blanchard coming in immediately makes the horseman something to be reckoned with for 1989. Lex Luger winning the WCW United States championship puts him in a prime spot to do get big things in 1989 and don’t discount Sting for being one of the guys that has got a rocket strapped to his back in the coming year.  

One thing to really notice and understand with all of this is how Roddy Piper and Terry Funk fit into the overall situation. I can see them both playing each side of the fence this week and then flipping the next week all the while looking for the world title from Ric Flair, and having to go through the Horsemen.  With Dusty Rhodes, seemingly leaving, I think it opens up a big spot for somebody else to come in and take on that role to be another huge player.

Speaking of huge players, dibiase, and Williams, retaining the world tag team titles is huge for them and for WCW. I have no doubt that they will be a team of the year force in 1989 if they stay together.  Overall this was a great way to end WCW in 1988 and I feel like you’re getting your feet underneath you when it comes to how the late 80s were different in the early 80s but in all honesty I think that the way you do things works perfectly for any time. So just go with what you like and what you think is entertaining and I know will all continue to tune in.