Pro Wrestling Only

1996 Project Discussion Thread

I have to deal with the death of Pillman in a couple of months. So I would bring that up about what you all wanted to do about death.

As for CW Anderson, that's an oversight on the number of matches he had in 1996. I saw his name on Cagematch when they faced Sexton Hardcastle and Christian Cage in a tag match. So I assumed he had enough to cover since they won the tag titles. So I guess that speaks to his ability, but I will not punish someone else for my mistake. So I take that on the chin, but in my defense, he was active around the beginning of 1997. So is it out of the realm of possibility that he could have worked a few more matches that just didn't get recorded?

I think retirements are a tricky thing. Cause so many wrestlers retired, then came back and worked a match. So I guess it's the case of the worker and the reason behind it. If we have to do we just do it on a case-by-case basis when we know a worker's retirement is coming up.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with keeping deaths out of the game, This is an alternate timeline after all. No telling what happens in this universe, so keeping deaths on a strict timeline doesn't make much sense.

I'm not too fussed about retirements either, although we should keep a general guideline to keep rosters fresh and make people think about how to use certain wrestlers.

In tears to how we handle deaths in the game what if instead of them dying we just have the year they died as a loose guideline for their retirement instead? Or at the very least make them some what less active. Just an idea though.

@MLB as for your idea about CW Anderson for Savio Vega thats fine with me if you want to post it in the trade page you can.

1 hour ago, jeff5819 said:

@MLB as for your idea about CW Anderson for Savio Vega thats fine with me if you want to post it in the trade page you can.

Thanks, Jeff.

I don't have huge plans for Anderson but I am messing around with a WCW parody faction (kinda like bWo) that includes Buddy Landel, CW Anderson and Fake Sting. I am doing trios titles instead of tag teams and I needed a third guy if I'm moving forward with the gimmick. I'm gonna wait to see what WCW does before I start spoofing them, but I wanted to have Anderson ready because he's perfect casting.  

Some early roster thoughts....

ECW - Looking to forward to see how the new wave is greeted by the originals. I love the Mass Transit and mystery benefactor detail of the storyline. I lucked into a hot angle with Sandman, Beulah, and Tha Gangstas joining W*ING USA. I have some guesses as to who the mystery backer is. There are the makings of a new Flock with Raven, Kidman and Whipwreck, and perhaps there will be a new Triple Threat with Douglas, Candido, and ???

WWF - Definitely the most starpower in the project when you factor in '96 Nash. 

Battlarts- Not sure if even Onita wants to fuck with these guys. :lol: Big fan and it has a lot of potential!

On 8/9/2023 at 6:50 PM, MLB said:

@Control21 I checked out Akihiro Gono aka "The Magic Man" and he's quite the character! Hopefully I'll be exposed to some more of these personalities I am not familiar with through this project.

Yeah, he did some goofy things in his career but always delivered when it counted. I love your backstory for W*ING USA, gave me a good laugh. Can't wait to see where it goes.

@jeff5819 Examining the WWF's stacked roster, I took a closer look at the possible tag division. The Smoking Gunns are the reigning champions with Headbangers, New Rockers, Pitbulls, and maybe Owen and Neidhart as established teams. I could see Dr. Tom and Chris Harris forming a duo, or maybe with Bob Holly as the New Midnights with Cornette. Tom Brandi portrayed the Patriot gimmick at one time, he could team up with Wilkes? Ultimate Warrior and Renegade?! The top of the card is so packed, there might be teams like Undertaker/Mankind or Shawn/Hunter to give the world title picture some space. 

Btw, I didn't even notice you drafted "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce.

@Perfectly Straightedge ECW has the best tag division in the project, hands down. Eliminators, Miracle Violence Connection, Thrillseekers, young Edge and Christian, RVD and Sabu, the Road Warriors, and the Dudleyz. I could see new teams like Rey and Ultimo Dragon or Billy Kidman and Mikey Whipwreck.

3 hours ago, MLB said:

@jeff5819 Examining the WWF's stacked roster, I took a closer look at the possible tag division. The Smoking Gunns are the reigning champions with Headbangers, New Rockers, Pitbulls, and maybe Owen and Neidhart as established teams. I could see Dr. Tom and Chris Harris forming a duo, or maybe with Bob Holly as the New Midnights with Cornette. Tom Brandi portrayed the Patriot gimmick at one time, he could team up with Wilkes? Ultimate Warrior and Renegade?! The top of the card is so packed, there might be teams like Undertaker/Mankind or Shawn/Hunter to give the world title picture some space. 

Btw, I didn't even notice you drafted "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce.

@Perfectly Straightedge ECW has the best tag division in the project, hands down. Eliminators, Miracle Violence Connection, Thrillseekers, young Edge and Christian, RVD and Sabu, the Road Warriors, and the Dudleyz. I could see new teams like Rey and Ultimo Dragon or Billy Kidman and Mikey Whipwreck.

I was going with Smoking Gunns, new Rockers, Pitbulls, Headbangers, Warrior/Renegade will be teams I've also announced the Patriot and Brandi will Team as Stars and Stripes. Owen I've planned to team with Davey Boy as I have other plans for Neidhart/Who. 

3 hours ago, jeff5819 said:

I was going with Smoking Gunns, new Rockers, Pitbulls, Headbangers, Warrior/Renegade will be teams I've also announced the Patriot and Brandi will Team as Stars and Stripes. Owen I've planned to team with Davey Boy as I have other plans for Neidhart/Who. 

I think I saw that announcement but I got confused with WCW because they've got the American Males, Bagwell and Riggs.

What about the Sultan and Kwang? That'd be a pretty badass team. It's interesting in the 1996 project to see scenarios where Jeff Hardy, Stevie Ray and Rick Steiner are pushed as singles earlier in their careers. Although, I guess Rick and Stevie got various singles pushes throughout their careers. In the case of Stevie Ray and Rick Steiner, I know it has to do with their partners being tied up on the untouchable list.

So, I signed Steve Corino with the understanding that he was still very green in 1996. I am planning to use him as a referee that eventually becomes a wrestler after taking abuse in various matches over the course of months. Since Corino isn't an active talent does he count against the cap? I realize I am being a pain in the ass with exemption slots (Terrible Ted, some of the monsters being counted as one, Onita and Funk in non-wrestling roles), and I am fine with Corino costing me a spot since he is involved in matches and it's established on commentary he is training to wrestle. I am just trying to maximize the roster spots and I'm using wrestlers in a non-conventional way.

2 hours ago, MLB said:

So, I signed Steve Corino with the understanding that he was still very green in 1996. I am planning to use him as a referee that eventually becomes a wrestler after taking abuse in various matches over the course of months. Since Corino isn't an active talent does he count against the cap? I realize I am being a pain in the ass with exemption slots (Terrible Ted, some of the monsters being counted as one, Onita and Funk in non-wrestling roles), and I am fine with Corino costing me a spot since he is involved in matches and it's established on commentary he is training to wrestle. I am just trying to maximize the roster spots and I'm using wrestlers in a non-conventional way.

This is one of those situations where when we take people. We don't have to follow their career path technically. I mean, yes, he is very green, and if he became your world champ, it might be an issue, but I always view it as we have the benefit of hindsight. So, for example, I have Edge and Christian, and I know what they will become, but for the time being, they will be solid workers working their way from the ground up. So for Corino, it's the same thing and logic behind it.

I think the best way to settle this situation is by taking the three manager spots. It will now become five non-wrestler spots. However, you use those spots is up to you. So everybody gets five non-wrestler spots from here on out, and that's how it's used.

18 minutes ago, jeff5819 said:

Sorry to be a pain in backside but is there any chance I could have Gorilla Monsoon as my WWF President please? If it cost me a spot then that's fine just wanted to inquire before looking at who's to go if any.

I addressed this above, and I think I will go ahead and put it into effect. From now on, the three manager slots will now become five non-wrestler spots. So that can be filled with five managers. However, you use those spots is up to you. That gives everyone enough freedom to do what they want.

Figured I'd share some thoughts on recent roster moves for discussion purposes, maybe others want to talk about their creative logic:

* Originally, I had big plans for Backlund as a delusional conservative character running for US President, but I've decided to abandon those plans for now. If you're not willing to taste the barbed wire on occasion, you're probably not gonna survive in W*ING USA. I didn't want to write Backlund going into broken glass, although I had planned on him wearing a suit while wrestling. Ultimately, I have too much going on to always find time for that gimmick.

* Backlund did appear in BattlArts in 97/98 and I could see him fitting in there. @Mr JMML

* I appreciated the response on Corino, @Perfectly Straightedge, I got inspiration to use him as a young boy referee. When I acknowledged his youth, I was letting everybody know he is not getting pushed immediately as the bleached blonde, "King of Old School". Corino was still 3 or 4 years away from filling out physically and toughening up his look before his breakout feud with Dusty. Eventually, I do intend to take Corino in the direction of his future old school gimmick. 

* I let go of Funaki (who also has BattlArts experience) and Tajiri because again, this is a brawler's promotion and they were gonna get eaten alive. Tajiri is a much better fit for ECW's brand right now, which seems less hardcore and more workrate orientated. I have Mikey Whipwreck's debut mapped out, and if ECW wasn't willing to trade him, I was going to release Tajiri outright. TAKA is going to work hardcore for W*ING USA, which is a departure from his actual in-ring career. I brought in Shadow WX, who currently plays the role of Mr. Pogo in 2023. In 1996/1997, he was a decent worker to go with the brawling and pyro. A bigger looking Funaki that can take things to the extreme. BADBOY Hido was signed to complete the new Kaientai trios. I'll be honest, I had to sign Shadow WX after viewing this clip:

You know it is something you mentioned about the work rate and a little less brawling. That was not intentional, but the way my roster ended up playing out with the draft and everything, I will go ahead and change from Extreme Championship Wrestling to the National Wrestling Alliance. They were basically all but dead at this point. Still, the idea of using The Mass Transit Incident and ECW losing their PPV to weaken the company to the fact they had to find backing and then making a deal with a mystery backer sounds like a good story I want to do.

Also, I have been binge-watching Suits when Harvey had to make a deal with Robert Zane to save his firm. I feel this is something I wanted to bite into.

I will say that if anyone signs up and wants to become ECW. I have ZERO issues giving up ECW talent and Paul Heyman until then. I will work under The National Wrestling Alliance banner and update things accordingly. Hopefully, nobody has any issues with that.

11 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

I will say that if anyone signs up and wants to become ECW. I have ZERO issues giving up ECW talent and Paul Heyman until then. I will work under The National Wrestling Alliance banner and update things accordingly. Hopefully, nobody has any issues with that.

Wow, blockbuster announcement! It makes total sense given the makeup of the roster and storyline, I like it. I'll PM you later today because this effects my programming and I am interested in the names that might be available.