Pro Wrestling Only

1996 Project Discussion Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

Yeah def I can’t believe she fell through the cracks. Great catch there

Alright cool, I had to ask because it was a close call in terms of eligibility. On one hand, Chyna did not debut officially until early '97, but according to Kowalski, WCW (Kevin Nash) was close to signing her in 1996 and putting her in the nWo. Cagematch has no matches listed until WWF, however they do mention some of her pre-WWF bookings were handled by Moolah. I think there was enough buzz in the industry by the end of 1996 to make Chyna available in the 1996 project.

Not that anyone protested it, but here is rare footage of pre WWF Chyna in 1996:

I do believe Vince was willing to put the title on her before the implants and Playboy. I have a good idea of how she will be presented in W*ING USA and it will involve a manager.

Yep I saw that he got overlooked when I was looking at potential signings but I wanted to give others a chance before I took him to be honest. 

Also I wanted to go ahead and put this out there but so far everyone has done a good job at being active and everything but I am giving till October 1st to get a show out before you will be required to give up your roster. It’s only fair to the other writers. So just remember 1 show a month is the minimum. Which is completely doable. 

4 hours ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

Yep I saw that he got overlooked when I was looking at potential signings but I wanted to give others a chance before I took him to be honest. 

Also I wanted to go ahead and put this out there but so far everyone has done a good job at being active and everything but I am giving till October 1st to get a show out before you will be required to give up your roster. It’s only fair to the other writers. So just remember 1 show a month is the minimum. Which is completely doable. 

I plan on doing two shows a month for a while, but then I'll probably do 1 show a month, which is what RINGS usually did.

Yo @jeff5819, I didn't know much about Tommy Cairo but he's great since I've looked into him. Sweet resume with a run in UWFi and early ECW.  Epic feud with the Sandman involving Peaches, I haven't seen much from early ECW. Cairo claims Heyman and Dreamer didn't have the balls to fire him from ECW lol. I definitely want to see what you're going to do with him because he's on my radar now!

I don't intend to throw a wrench in the trade, however, Jake Roberts isn't really fair compensation for Nash.

Jake was three years away from, "You wanna play 21? I've got 22." Nash was WWF Champion in '95 and won the WCW title in '98.

The Untouchable List has lost some shine already by trading in Duggan and Roberts who were totally washed up. Maybe next month, I'll trade in Moolah for Bigelow. ;)

Yet, I don't actually object to the NWA acquiring Nash due to WWF/WCW's inactivity to this juncture. I respect that @Perfectly Straightedge is trying to build up the NWA since WCW and WWF are basically hoarding the big names and not producing.

No wrench at all I am going to test the system even if I made the system just to see if people will catch stuff. What’s the point if nobody ever does catch anything. So it’s all good my guy  

I will throw the road warriors in as well. That’s more even now at that point. Jake can easily get one last run for someone especially if someone wanted to clean him up, I mean he is clean now so we can just make it earlier, and The Road Warriors are still one of the biggest tag teams in wrestling even in 96 and plus they can still work at be the top team for ANY promotion. So those 3 for Nash solves the issue. I was going to do it anyways but thought I would give it a shot with just Jake to test if anyone is paying attention. Can’t blame a man for trying. Good catch MLB. I will always test to make sure people pay attention. So MLB you win a high five. 

Also with Nash’s injury history we are starting to get towards quad tearing Nash  

3 for 1 and also with the way Nash was cut by WCW drops his stock and then WWF drafted and cut as well hurts that stock in my eyes as well even if we all know what Nash is. I think that should have played a factor in the trade. 

So it’s Road Warriors/Jake for Nash. 

All good, @Perfectly Straightedge! The Road Warriors are a nice throw in because it will give a new player an established tag team. With Booker T, and presumably Scott Steiner off the list next month, there has to be some integrity to the Untouchables going forward.

But like I said, I want to see Nash go to the NWA because with Savage and Piper it's a major league promotion now if WWF and WCW are not "all in".

In an effort to attract more players, I wanted to show some of the possible rosters that could made from free agents that are still available, which includes the Untouchable List. I know we've got some lurkers on this thread and maybe this will encourage another sign up. Also a reminder that whoever signs up will get the 1st pick in the 1997 draft that includes Goldberg.

I don't like to pick up wrestlers and drop them, however I did not realize Rhino underwent such a physical transformation between 1996 and his debut in ECW at the end of 1999.

In 1997, Rhino was working for a catch promotion in Germany and looked considerably smaller than the monster he'd become in 2000. Rhino has much more of an amateur background than I previously knew of, wrestling for five years in school. The image I had of him goring everybody was too much of a stretch in 1996 for me. I am going to fast forward the careers of Corino and Zandig a bit but it doen't seem as drastic of a physical change.

Right now, in my case I'm experimenting with a good way of using AI to help me write the matches and basically have a solid core with it so that I can eventually add only what I want by myself to match with the storylines I want to put out. So this is why you'll sometimes feel my match writing at first is a bit all over the place until I can find exactly what I want to work with.

4 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Right now, in my case I'm experimenting with a good way of using AI to help me write the matches and basically have a solid core with it so that I can eventually add only what I want by myself to match with the storylines I want to put out. So this is why you'll sometimes feel my match writing at first is a bit all over the place until I can find exactly what I want to work with.

The York Foundation was ahead of it's time.

In the spirit of 1996, here's a match I watched this afternoon featuring a young John Zandig (as the Icon) taking on Doug Gilbert at NWA's Bloodfest. Note that Zandig looked absolutely jacked here while performing a kip up. Classic Cornette on the mic as the event was held in Kentucky.

The show was produced by Heyman and ECW as a NWA affiliated event with Sabu, Taz, and Tommy Dreamer on the card:

Welcome to the 1996 project, @Autistic Dragon

I really liked what you've constructed as your roster from the available talent. You know your stuff by adding names like Reggie B. Fine, Sweet Daddy Falcone and Reno Riggins, while Duggan and Roberts fit perfectly as main eventers on that scale. Brian Christopher and Chris Candido were underrated and overshadowed, so it'll be cool to see them pushed. Punisher is a credible big man at the top of the card. The Rock 'n' Roll and the Heavenly Bodies as the anchors of the an established tag division, along with the Moondogs.

You've got some seriously hardcore brawlers and wild personalities, it should be a fun read.

4 hours ago, MLB said:

Welcome to the 1996 project, @Autistic Dragon

I really liked what you've constructed as your roster from the available talent. You know your stuff by adding names like Reggie B. Fine, Sweet Daddy Falcone and Reno Riggins, while Duggan and Roberts fit perfectly as main eventers on that scale. Brian Christopher and Chris Candido were underrated and overshadowed, so it'll be cool to see them pushed. Punisher is a credible big man at the top of the card. The Rock 'n' Roll and the Heavenly Bodies as the anchors of the an established tag division, along with the Moondogs.

You've got some seriously hardcore brawlers and wild personalities, it should be a fun read.

Thank you, happy to be here.