Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 08/14-08/20: Will Roman Reigns Kick Dolph Ziggler Out?

C.S.

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Watching Raw after work as usual, and wondering what poor Drew did to get stuck teaming with Matt Riddle. 

New odd couple alert!

Bischoff thinks they should take Drew off TV altogether lol. It's another case like AJ Styles and Wyatt resigning for big money and having zero direction, they just don't want AEW to have these guys. McIntyre would probably be better as a heel with Brock on hiatus, instead of a babyface behind Franklin Rollins, Cody and probably even Alpha Academy. 

Wyatt's delayed return likely threw a wrench in somebody else's plans and we're getting a heavier dose of the JD.  

AJ got hurt for quite a while, tho. I guess now that Rey Mysterio is the US Champ, they can get actual fucking programs surrounding that title and give people like Styles more things to do. 

As for Bray, dude wrestled like one match, got hurt. Now he might be gone for good, depending on the severity of his illness. At least he got that money!

4 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

I guess now that Rey Mysterio is the US Champ, they can get actual fucking programs surrounding that title and give people like Styles more things to do. 

Not sure why this wasn't an option with Theory. A heel champ is presumably easier to write for.

New creative is the same as the old creative - boring and bankrupt.

Like I said before, Triple H's insistence on completely stripping Austin Theory of his personality is what killed his heat.

Yeah, yeah, "funny don't make money" - blah, blah, fucking blah! Fuck you, Cornette, you out-of-touch old fossil. 

You can make someone more serious without completely erasing everything about their character. Instead, Trips took a sledgehammer to what made Theory work.

It was a jarring transition that made absolutely no sense. It's a joke whenever someone talks about WWE chasing Emmys, because this is a perfect example of Bad Storytelling 101.

Melo vs Wes will almost certainly be a banger, but it's another WWE match where the outcome isn't really in doubt. Even if they were moving Melo to the main roster and needed to change the title, it wouldn't be to someone who hasn't really been pushed as a man event level guy. 

It just goes to show that sometimes you either have it or you don't. She seems like she'd be a can't-miss prospect on paper with her looks, athletic ability, and life story. But her in-ring never even reached the point of passable and she wasn't nearly charismatic enough to compensate. I suppose she can always go to AEW and make sure Sammy Guevara's working on his forward rolls. They hired Madison Rayne as a coach, so the bar obviously isn't terribly high.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Is it me or does Dana Brooke look completely different nowadays?

That poor woman has mutilated herself past the point of recognition with plastic surgery over the last few years. If you look at a picture of her when she first debuted, and then a picture of her now, she is almost unrecognizable.

- Based on her often terrible Twitter  X posts (ugh), I'm guessing Lacey didn't endear herself to many backstage either. I can't say for sure as I'm not in the locker room, but sometimes it seems clear when some of the women enjoy working together and when they don't. For example, I was watching SummerSlam 2013 and Battleground 2013 for my blog and there are two Brie Bella matches on these shows - one is vs. Nattie and the other is vs. AJ Lee. Which match do you think was actually pretty good? You might be surprised to learn that the match with Nattie is considerably better and I don't think its because Nattie is some super-worker and AJ is terrible. My theory is that Brie and Nattie planned/rehearsed a match that they were both comfortable with and worked hard to make as good as possible. Meanwhile, I'm not sure if AJ and Brie - who were in the midst of a storyline in which AJ mocked Total Bellas and all the other divas for being phonies that may have struck a real-life nerve - had that same professional respect or trust and their match suffered because of it. Becky at the peak of her popularity may have been a little peeved that the best they could come up with for her after main eventing WrestleMania XXXV was feuding with a still-green ex-Marine who was getting the kind of push that Lynch - and others (Naomi, Nikki Cross, Asuka) - had all worked a comparatively much longer time to get. I could be completely wrong about that, but any which way, if that feud was designed to get Evans over as a top heel, it was an undeniable flop.

- As for Theory. I don't watch NXT so I'm not sure what Triple H or the main roster writers did to "strip" Theory of his character. From what I saw, his character was about as thin as wet newspaper. He took selfies. He was vainglorious. He was young. He was yet another agile, well-trained wrestler who can do just about anything he wants in the ring from dazzling aerial moves to old-fashioned suplexes...except he can't do the single most important thing one needs: make the audience care long enough to sustain interest in a wrestling match, to care who wins or loses, to actually mentally invest. His athletic ability carried him through a few good performances and matches here and there, often multi-mans where he was blessed to be working with guys who had way, way more natural charisma (mostly Bobby Lashley, but also Ali and Rollins). 

If you want to talk about someone who has been stripped of what made his character interesting, my mind goes to Cameron Grimes. The little bits of his work in NXT and Impact that I saw over the years made him come across as a really fun, unique character. Plus, I found his offense to be more interesting than anything Theory does. 

But, really, is there any reason why they didn't just have LA Knight win the title? I'm a huge Rey fan, but if you're going to give someone the rub of beating an unpopular heel champion like Theory, LA Knight certainly could've been that guy and would benefit much more from it than Rey.

Nattie seems to be universally loved, as well as TJ since he was the producer for most of the women's matches when they were really making people notice. It's like they see her as the fun auntie who's maybe way too into cats but is always there to help you out.