Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk Fired

sek69

24 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

This man is just the messiest bitch. The only reason he managed to last 9 years in WWE was because the locker room was full of even bigger weirdos and creeps and actual criminals, with the boss being the only psycho able to keep them all in check

TBF its pro wrestling, but this is what I would be worried about.  I just don’t know how of the curtain TK wants thrown back.  It wasn’t great for the WWE at the time and won’t be here.  

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly nobody is going to come out of this smelling like roses, for awhile anyway. Tony did the right thing but as many have noted it’s been maybe too long a time coming too. That said this could also galvanize the company against the sort of Chicken Little-ing this news tends to dredge up. As for the man himself I just hope he retires and moves onto something else. He’s smart, witty and could find himself in a better place without the industry again. 

22 minutes ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Clearly nobody is going to come out of this smelling like roses, for awhile anyway. Tony did the right thing but as many have noted it’s been maybe too long a time coming too. That said this could also galvanize the company against the sort of Chicken Little-ing this news tends to dredge up. As for the man himself I just hope he retires and moves onto something else. He’s smart, witty and could find himself in a better place without the industry again. 

Agreed, to paraphrase Cornette Punk needs to get out of the of wrestling business and into the CM Punk business.  Do a podcast, commentaries, appearances.  He should have enough cash to take jobs he wants.

As for the rest, TK needs to find Fulham a replacement striker and a number 6 to have ready to go for the January window.  After he needs to address the unprofessionalism of the Elite.  Punk might have gotten the ax but they started this and the fact they have been allowed to act this way with minimal repercussions is crap.   If I were Tony I would let the bucks, Page, and Omegas contracts run out.  

IMO I expect half the reason the Elite have gone relatively unharmed in all this is the fact Punk appears to be physically incapable of not making snarky comments that rev everything up again.  His very first promo after Brawl Out he had to drop the line "I'm sorry the only thing softer than you (the people mad at him) are the wrestlers you like".  At that point I knew this was just going to blow up again because the man just can't stop himself. 

That's not to say the Elite are blameless, they obviously could have handled things better, but it's mostly been Punk being the world's most annoying little brother and constantly making comments crafted solely to provoke. 

10 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

You were Kathy Bates, Danielson was James Caan.

I'm still loving the Incredible, Gravity-Defying, Flying Monitors, meself. It's literally the only thing I give four-fifths of a fuck about in this entire brouhaha.

:lol:

How could I forget the greatest post in PWO history?

That meme was truly epic and hilarious. 

3 hours ago, Embrodak said:

Tony is a skinny, silver spoon motherfucker who has assuredly never had a fight in his life.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Why is getting into fights suddenly a badge of honor?

Spouting that '80s Rambo fake macho bullshit isn't the flex you think it is.

As someone who has gotten into many fights in an era long before "zero tolerance" was a thing, I sure as shit wish I didn't have to. But, you know, assholes are gonna asshole. 

2 hours ago, pmo said:

Agreed, to paraphrase Cornette Punk needs to get out of the of wrestling business and into the CM Punk business.  Do a podcast, commentaries, appearances.  He should have enough cash to take jobs he wants.

Not sure I understand this, the CM Punk business is the wrestling business. Nobody cares about anything else Punk does.

Punk has friends in WWE: Tamina, Gallows, Kidd, Kofi off the top of my head. Orton and Batista are also Punk supporters. Cena has always praised Punk and thought he was misunderstood.

Let's not get carried away here, Starks was on the verge of tears that Punk left. 

4 minutes ago, MLB said:

Not sure I understand this, the CM Punk business is the wrestling business. Nobody cares about anything else Punk does.

Meaning what Cornette himself is doing: podcasts, conventions (not sure if Cornette does that), special appearances, commentary gigs (Cornette did this for the NWA briefly), etc.

A Punk podcast would be be very lucrative IMO.

1 minute ago, C.S. said:

Meaning what Cornette himself is doing: podcasts, conventions (not sure if Cornette does that), special appearances, commentary gigs (Cornette did this for the NWA briefly), etc.

A Punk podcast would be be very lucrative IMO.

That's fair, Cornette is in the wrestling business without actually being in it.

2 hours ago, pmo said:

As for the rest, TK needs to find Fulham a replacement striker and a number 6 to have ready to go for the January window.  After he needs to address the unprofessionalism of the Elite.  Punk might have gotten the ax but they started this and the fact they have been allowed to act this way with minimal repercussions is crap.   If I were Tony I would let the bucks, Page, and Omegas contracts run out.  

Still confused at where the unprofessionalism from The Elite is coming from. Punk talked crazy shit about them in front of the press and said, "if you have a problem you know where to find me", then when they show up he throws a sucker punch and his buddy is hitting dudes with chairs and biting people. Their only response was to refuse to work with him, which seems fair to me. Meanwhile, Punk has to get his own show and little universe where anyone he has a problem with is banned from the arenas he's in, because he just can't stop himself from creating conflict. 

Clearly, The Elite were in the right to not want to do business with Punk. I think you can be pretty close to 100% certain that had they actually worked a program with Punk, there would have been another brawl and potentially more firings as a result.

31 minutes ago, MLB said:

Based on his reputation for shooting his mouth off, and not being afraid to burn bridges and upset people, if CM Punk did a podcast where he gave his opinions about the product and reviewed the weekly shows, he could make six figures easily. Cornette makes a small fortune from his podcasts. Cornette has repeatedly claimed that he makes more money now between his memorabilia business and podcasting than he ever did working in the actual “wrestling business.”

Even the Conrad Thompson shows that can get more than 300,000 weekly downloads are guaranteed moneymakers. It’s basic business. If you can guarantee X number of downloads, the advertising agencies will guarantee a set weekly income. Especially if you get on with a platform like Westwood One.

The podcasting bubble is going to burst eventually, and I’m sure any initial interest in a CM Punk podcast would die off at some point, but between podcasting and autograph shows and signings, he could make a good living easily.

32 minutes ago, MLB said:

Punk has friends in WWE: Tamina, Gallows, Kidd, Kofi off the top of my head. Orton and Batista are also Punk supporters. Cena has always praised Punk and thought he was misunderstood.

Let's not get carried away here, Starks was on the verge of tears that Punk left. 

After Brawl Out, the reaction within WWE was "now they (AEW) know what we had to deal with" which makes it seem very much they don't want to deal with the bullshit that comes with working with Punk. 

6 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

The podcasting bubble is going to burst eventually, and I’m sure any initial interest in a CM Punk podcast would die off at some point, but between podcasting and autograph shows and signings, he could make a good living easily.

Oh for sure, easily. 

This is wild to throw out there but I wonder if William Patrick Corgan has reached out to Punk yet. Both are from Chicago and Billy can afford him. 

10 minutes ago, MLB said:

A lot of this scenario very closely mirrors Shawn (Omega) and Bret (Punk). 

That's a actually a really good analogy.  The Elite are pulling petty, obnoxious shit on the uptight wound up vet and crying that he's abusive when he explodes on them and their friends. The only difference is the Elite are trying to come off like their inclusive and for the fans while Michaels didn't give a crap.  Honestly it's this part that riles me up.  

7 minutes ago, MLB said:

Oh for sure, easily. 

This is wild to throw out there but I wonder if William Patrick Corgan has reached out to Punk yet. Both are from Chicago and Billy can afford him. 

I'm fairly certain Punk and Billy working together would go worse than him working with the Elite. Something tells me the guy who wore a trans rights shirt on TV would have issue with the guy who gets off on his champ being a regular on Fox News. 

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I'm fairly certain Punk and Billy working together would go worse than him working with the Elite. Something tells me the guy who wore a trans rights shirt on TV would have issue with the guy who gets off on his champ being a regular on Fox News. 

Billy Corgan is by no definition a conservative, he wanted heat and media exposure for Tyrus.

Corgan produced Courtney Love for crying out loud, I would think Punk would be a cakewalk to deal with in comparison.

9 minutes ago, MLB said:

Billy Corgan is by no definition a conservative, he wanted heat and media exposure for Tyrus.

No, he's worse IMO. From his wikipedia page:

In an interview with radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones in 2016, Corgan voiced discontent with "social justice warriors", comparing them to Maoists, cult members, and the Ku Klux Klan, and calling their actions a threat to freedom of speech.[126] In 2018, he called himself a "free-market libertarian capitalist"

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

No, he's worse IMO. From his wikipedia page:

In an interview with radio host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones in 2016, Corgan voiced discontent with "social justice warriors", comparing them to Maoists, cult members, and the Ku Klux Klan, and calling their actions a threat to freedom of speech.[126] In 2018, he called himself a "free-market libertarian capitalist"

Yikes, I didn't know that. 

Maybe you're right, but I still think I raised a very interesting possibility. Don't forget Cornette was there too.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

Billy is down to do business with anyone if it helps the NWA, but I just don't see those two being able to last more than five minutes together before they try to strangle each other. 

Agreed. That would be an epic clash of egos.

Not to mention, Corgan is not going to overextend himself financially for the NWA. He has made it pretty clear. He is only willing to invest so much of his personal fortune in this project, he’s not going to bankrupt himself. He wouldn’t pay Punk anywhere near what he would want.

Plus, I don’t think Punk’s ego would allow him to go somewhere that is pretty much viewed as the bottom rung on the Pro Wrestling ladder. Let’s be honest. MLW and Impact have more credibility and cache with fans than Corgan’s NWA does. It’s a joke YouTube show.

I know FTR just resigned but they're gonna leave sooner than later. 

Punk and FTR in the NWA seems like a good match to me. It puts the promotion into the conversation. They can say "we are the ones carrying the tradition of Terry Funk," etc. The Cornette audience will eat it up. Punk is tight with Ricky Morton. Corgan has said he is willing to spend big money for the right opportunity. If Billy were to break the bank on a talent, this is it. 

5 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Is Punk ever happy?  Does he enjoy anything in life?  I don't really care and am very much in camp "good riddance," and thought for a while from reading whatever tea leaves were out there that his presence was not a good thing for anyone other than (maybe) CM Punk.  

But I'm fascinated.  This is someone who from the outside appears to torch every opportunity and relationship he's presented with, save few exceptions.  His wife?  Ace Steel?  FTR?  That Lars guy?  

Its incredible to see someone so consistently miserable and angry, so determined to turn every mole hill into something tantamount to a violent crime upon his loved ones (if he has any).  

Onward and upward with a hopefully refocused and more stable wrestling promotion, but wow are this guy's mind and motivations something else.  Maybe he should have a drink.

This is absolutely true, but it’s part of what makes him so compelling, to me.