CM Punk Fired

sek69

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm sure it will happen because it's the wrestling business, but I don't see how going back to WWE will end any differently for Punk since everything that pissed him off is still there. 

Eh, WWE runs a much lighter schedule than they did in 2014, and he can prob get a (lower money) Brock-type contract where he only has to do a certain number of shows and agree on potential storylines in advance. He knows what WWE is, he’s not going to walk in thinking he can change anything or that he can overawe the extensive mentoring and development apparatus to be influential on younger talent the way he hoped he could in AEW. WWE is not going to hire any of his psycho friends, and they’re not going to secretly make him some kind of executive producer or whatever. I also doubt he’s going to try to socialize much, given how many bridges he’s burned. If he gets to show up, talk some veiled trash about AEW, do a Bret vs Owen tribute with Rollins or Owens or whoever, and look good in a loss to Roman, I imagine he could make peace with that. He’s uniquely capable of fucking that up, but despite how notoriously toxic of a work environment he finds WWE to historically be, it actually may be the lower-stress option. 

I would be very surprised if he goes back to the WWE. I mean, maybe Paul Heyman could play dealmaker here, but I don't think Triple H wants to deal with Punk's ego and what it could mean in the locker room and the only reason I think Vince might show any interest is just to get one-up on AEW. 

But, to be honest, they just pulled a huge rabbit out of their hat on Friday with The Rock showing up. It did a huge rating. They also have Cena working semi-regularly. I'm a CM Punk fan, but the WWE is not a company that needs star power right now. It took a minute, but the WWE's depth chart is probably the best it has been in many, many years, and, if I'm not mistaken, attendance and ratings being generally up are proof that more and more talent is getting over.

Roman and Cody are obviously over. Zayn and KO get big reactions. Jey Uso is over. Seth Rollins and Finn Balor are as over as they've ever been. GUNTHER is over. LA Knight's act may not have legs, but its over right now. Solo Sikoa is on the brink. Montez Ford is still just a couple break-out moments away from being a can't-miss singles star. Damien Priest is right there. As silly as it may sound, I think there's still potential in Omos. And then you've got vets like Sheamus, Miz, Lashley, Nakamura, Rey, and others who, when needed, are still capable of knocking it out of the park. Plus, Orton and Brock potentially back as part-timers? And, jeez louise, the women's division. There may still be a big gap between the top women (Asuka, Becky, Charlotte, Bayley, Rhea, Bianca) and the rest (Zoey, Liv, Shotzi, Shayna, everyone in NXT), but that's still a very loaded group and, if I'm not mistaken, Asuka is the only one over the age of 40. 

So, yeah, its never a bad thing to have even more big stars on your roster and CM Punk certainly qualifies, but this is not the same WWE that CM Punk supposedly turned down in 2020/2021. This is a WWE with lots of momentum, firing on all cylinders, and with at least 3-4 guys who are much bigger stars now than they were 2 years ago. In that sense, CM Punk's value has never really been lower. 

12 hours ago, DMJ said:

I would be very surprised if he goes back to the WWE. I mean, maybe Paul Heyman could play dealmaker here, but I don't think Triple H wants to deal with Punk's ego and what it could mean in the locker room and the only reason I think Vince might show any interest is just to get one-up on AEW. 

There's also Vince's longstanding obsession with mending fences with apostates and bringing them back into the company fold. It might actually be the main thing Punk has going for him at this point.

Yeah, WWE is for sure getting him. The only question is the type of deal they offer him. I still think they are best suited for a short stint that milks the most out of his name value and ends before Punk gets any big ideas about his role in the company.

Even if WWE decides to wait because they don't need him, they will still call him eventually.

22 hours ago, pmo said:

Also he still has the belt or a version of the belt he never lost…. That’s a pretty nice carrot.  He can job to Roman or more likely be a stepping stone for Cody at some point.

1 hour ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

I wonder if he’ll give it back or take it with him, or they sue him. It honestly surprises me this is happening again 32 years after Flair brought the big gold up with him.