Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 9/13 - 9/16 - Bryans Final Countdown Begins

sek69

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

What the hell are you even talking about? At what point did I mention him being black? And I never saw the whole “Bearcat” deal with him. I’m simply pointing out his promos suck.

Because they do.

2 hours ago, Embrodak said:

I really don’t understand this “Criticism of Keith Lee’s promos is because people think he doesn’t sound black enough” soundbite that I’ve seen floating around. He doesn’t even sound non-black, he just sounds affected and unintimidating. It *might* work if he had a manager with a ton of attitude and it was a surprising voice to hear coming out of such a figure, and you heard only occasionally, like the first time you heard Brock Lesnar speak and he had a much higher-pitched voice than you would expect. But on its own, it makes him just not connect.

Just to be clear, I never meant to imply that The Thread Killer said Keith Lee doesn't sound "black enough." I made a clumsy analogy to Vince's horrid Bearcat gimmick, where that did seem to be the reason for turning Keith Lee from an articulate killer into an angry black man stereotype.

I personally think Lee's promos and presentation are different, and he's always been a breath of fresh air. Any other take genuinely puzzles me.

And yeah, Brock's voice did not sound at all intimidating when he first started. He was a physical beast from the beginning, but the Brock "aura" took time to develop because of his promos and voice.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic