Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 9/13 - 9/16 - Bryans Final Countdown Begins

sek69

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I dunno man, I love him in the ring when he’s on, but this whole soft spoken, “Greetings and Salutations” deal just comes across as so…weak to me.

I think the idea of a big swole dude speaking in more verbose terms is far from bad - Kingpin is one of the most interesting villains in fiction partly because of that contrast - but with Keith it sometimes just comes across as goofy.

He'll always have the Survivor Series '19 and the Acclaimed matches, even if he starts batting .000 from now on.

37 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I dunno man, I love him in the ring when he’s on, but this whole soft spoken, “Greetings and Salutations” deal just comes across as so…weak to me.

Hi, Vince. Your angry black man Bearcat gimmick was a major success. Oh, wait...

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Hi, Vince. Your angry black man Bearcat gimmick was a major success. Oh, wait...

What the hell are you even talking about? At what point did I mention him being black? And I never saw the whole “Bearcat” deal with him. I’m simply pointing out his promos suck.

Because they do.

51 minutes ago, MoS said:

Why was Uno hiding under the ring? Dark Order were not banned from the contract. 

I like Johny Hungee and Anthony Bowens but that was meh, fast forward material 

At least it looks like they are going to blow off this ridiculous angle on Rampage next week. I was afraid they were going to drag it out all the way to the PPV in October. But The Dark Order get their shot on Rampage, where nobody will see it.

33 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I really don’t understand this “Criticism of Keith Lee’s promos is because people think he doesn’t sound black enough” soundbite that I’ve seen floating around. He doesn’t even sound non-black, he just sounds affected and unintimidating. It *might* work if he had a manager with a ton of attitude and it was a surprising voice to hear coming out of such a figure, and you heard only occasionally, like the first time you heard Brock Lesnar speak and he had a much higher-pitched voice than you would expect. But on its own, it makes him just not connect.

44 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Keith Lee reminds me of Beast from the X-Men, big bruising guy who speaks like a college professor. 

That gimmick would absolutely work if Keith Lee’s delivery was stronger. But he acts like he doesn’t even want to be there, almost disaffected and he stares at the ceiling, he barely speaks loud enough to be heard, and he falters when he talks. He is not an engaging public speaker. He doesn’t need to be Eddie Kingston, but a little conviction would be nice.

If Jake Roberts taught us anything, it’s that you do not have to raise your voice or yell to be a good promo. But you do need to be able to deliver your dialogue convincingly. Keith Lee doesn’t.