Pro Wrestling Only

Continental Classic

Autistic Dragon

AEW has announced their version of the G1 Climax called the Continental Classic. The matches will be held on Dynamite, Rampage and Collision and the following wills will be in effect.

Two blocks with 6 wrestlers each.

3 points for a win 1 for a draw and a loss gets you nothing.

No managers or seconds allowed at ringside.

Interference will not be tolerated.

Finals will be held at World's End with the winner being awarded the ROH World Championship, New Japan Strong Openweight Championship and the new AEW Continental Championship to become AEWs first Triple Crown Champion.

Wrestlers announced include

Bryan Danielson

Andrade El Idolo

Eddie Kingston

and Mark Briscoe

Who do you see filling out the blocks and what are your predictions for the finalists and who wins it all?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the rest of the field being something like Garcia, Dustin, Jay White, Trent, Brody King, Claudio and a few other ones out of left field to satisfy Khan’s match making whims. Maybe one of Fenix or Bandido? Keith Lee? I’m looking forward to it, even if I think it ends with Kingston losing his belts and I’d rather not see that outcome

7 hours ago, Autistic Dragon said:

AEW has announced their version of the Bound For Glory Series called the Continental Classic.

FIFY.

In all seriousness though, this will hopefully lead to some really good matches. I'm sure Claudio will be in it too anyway. 

I have no idea what they're going to do with this "triple crown" belt and if it means ROH won't have a champion anymore?

Interference will not be tolerated is pretty funny because it implies it's allowed in the other matches on the show.

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

What Eddie said at the PPV was that he putting his belts on the line on every match he's wrestling in the CC, that's why whoever wins it will have both those belts plus being the "Continental Classic Champion" (lol).

That's not the way Round Robin Tournaments work though, is it? What if he is beaten on the last day of the tournament and loses his belts, but the person who beats him for his 2 belts happened to lose all their other matches? They would have won the ROH and Strong belts, but wouldn't make the final to win the Continental belt, right? 

1 hour ago, TheDuke said:

That's not the way Round Robin Tournaments work though, is it? What if he is beaten on the last day of the tournament and loses his belts, but the person who beats him for his 2 belts happened to lose all their other matches? They would have won the ROH and Strong belts, but wouldn't make the final to win the Continental belt, right? 

Well, they corrected him today so it's a moot point. He's basically putting the belts up for grabs to whoever wins the tourney so they can create this Triple Crown (and there will be three belts).

With Eddie's PPV promo I though he was saying that whoever had the ROH & Strong belts had to keep defending them until the finals, which had me believing Eddie was a lock for the finals. But again, it's a moot point.

We still don't know if whoever wins the C2 and those belts will be a champion that actually defends it and then puts it on the line during the tourney (like Eddie just did) every year, or if it's gonna be something symbolic like those trophies and belts Tony created for the Owen Hart Cup.

Are we making predictions in this thread?  I have to think you don't put Swerve in this tournament to lose, and as a heel nobody should be screwing him over, so he's got to win the whole thing right? I imagine it is to try to elevate him so that some time in the new year he's ready to move up to the main event.

I guess it depends if the winner ends up having to defend the TC in ROH and other companies. If that's the case I wouldn't give it to Swerve, he should be getting an AEW world title reign soon and a short run with this new experiment would just take him away from AEW TV most likely.

If it's just a symbolic thing and the winner is just as the G1 or Champions Carnival, then yeah, give it to Swerve.

1 minute ago, Jmare007 said:

Has it been confirmed if there's going to be semifinals for the shows in Orlando? I think I heard Tony announce them but he could've just been implying that each block gets decided that week and not straight up semis.

Per wikipedia, the Orlando show will host the "League Finals" which will see the top two competitors in each block square off with the winners advancing to World's End.

1 hour ago, Autistic Dragon said:

Per wikipedia, the Orlando show will host the "League Finals" which will see the top two competitors in each block square off with the winners advancing to World's End.

I feel like we should get Eddie vs Dragon III with Kingston finally getting the W, though at the same time they could save that for later on a PPV.

Current Continental Classic Leaderboard

Blue League

6 pts: Brody King, Andrade El Idolo & Bryan Danielson

3 pts: Claudio Castagnoli and Eddie Kingston

0 pts: Daniel Garcia (eliminated)

Gold League

9 pts: Jon Moxley and Swerve Strickland

6 pts: Jay White

3 pts: Rush

0 pts: Jay Lethal & Mark Briscoe (both eliminated)

45 minutes ago, MoS said:

I think Swerve absolutely has to go over Mox

Wouldn't the Gold League be over one week in advance if either of them win? At most they could tie at 12 (which would require Swerve losing to Rush in the final week) and whoever wins next week has the tie breaker anyway. They kinda have to draw to keep things interesting.

4 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Wouldn't the Gold League be over one week in advance if either of them win? At most they could tie at 12 (which would require Swerve losing to Rush in the final week) and whoever wins next week has the tie breaker anyway. They kinda have to draw to keep things interesting.

I just think they have caught lightning in a bottle with Swerve, and now they need to go all the way with it. If it means that this tournament drags for a week, then so be it. I don't think any of us expected Swerve to get as over and as good as he has, but now that he has, I think you tear up the conventional playbook and elevate him even if it puts a spanner in your other plans