Pro Wrestling Only

Continental Classic

Autistic Dragon

3 hours ago, MoS said:

I just think they have caught lightning in a bottle with Swerve, and now they need to go all the way with it. If it means that this tournament drags for a week, then so be it. I don't think any of us expected Swerve to get as over and as good as he has, but now that he has, I think you tear up the conventional playbook and elevate him even if it puts a spanner in your other plans

How would a draw go against that though? If anything, it sets up a rematch down the line were he can get the W over Mox. The whole point of having a tournament like this one is that you can play with different results and not worry about protecting people so much.

Swerve better get the world title belt by Revolution. I'm honestly kinda scared that this Triple Crown will be something that's defended regularly and if that's the case that's the last thing Swerve should be doing because that's the kiss of death in Tony's booking.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current Continental Classic Leaderboard.

Blue League.

9pts: Andrade El Idolo

6pts: Brody King & Bryan Danielson

3pts: Eddie Kingston & Claudio Castagnoli

0pts: Daniel Garcia (eliminated)

Gold League.

12pts: Jon Moxley

9pts: Swerve Strickland & Jay White

6pts: Rush

0pts: Jay Lethal & Mark Briscoe (eliminated)

Rush is technically out as well due to White getting 9 points.

While Mox already being in the finals is not what I would have booked, there's still a lot that can happen.

Swerve doesn't necesarily need to win, but he 100% needs Jay White to lose.

Jay needs to beat Mox and Swerve to lose/draw against Rush. A draw with Mox if Swerve loses works for him, too.

If both Jay and Swerve win, it's a tie at 12 with Mox, with no clear tiebreaker: Mox won against Swerve, Swerve won against White, White won against Mox. Maybe they do a triple threat for the semis, or maybe they just say that, because Mox was already in either way, its only between the other two and they argue White should go above Swerve, because he did defeat Moxley. But I can't see them not putting Swerve on the finals, let alone the group finals.

It's interesting though, because both Swerve/White and Swerve/Moxley ended with a tricky roll up, setting up a possible rematch. And Jay will probably cheat to beat Mox, too. Any possible group final has had seeds planted, and, in that way, I give the booking of the gold league a lot of credit.

Nvm, Rush is still in if he beats Swerve and Mox beats White: triple tie at 9 for the second place between him, Swerve and Jay, with no tiebreaker (Swerve defeated White, White defeated Rush, Rush defeated Swerve). Don't know how that could be resolved though, neither of them has a victory over Mox and all of them have victories over Lethal and Briscoe.

12 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Nvm, Rush is still in if he beats Swerve and Mox beats White: triple tie at 9 for the second place between him, Swerve and Jay, with no tiebreaker (Swerve defeated White, White defeated Rush, Rush defeated Swerve). Don't know how that could be resolved though, neither of them has a victory over Mox and all of them have victories over Lethal and Briscoe.

This is what I thought and had me confused, because I'm pretty sure Excalibur said last night that Rush was "mathematically eliminated" via White beating Mark but he could still land that 3 way tie, not that I think he will but still.

Agreed with the idea of Moxley/White going to a draw allowing Swerve to beat Rush to slip back in to the semis for a rematch with Mox. Surprised they stayed away from any draws this long. 

CC is why AEW fucking rules even with all the negativity online recently. You can have weeks where Andrade is absolutely vicious and violent trying to re-injure Bryan to win, and a week later the crowd is fully into him against Claudio. You get matches like Garcia vs Eddie where the crowd is begging for Garcia to pull it out against perhaps the most beloved dude in the company. 

There's such a fluidity to match types and stories that don't box the wrestlers or crowds into heel, face, or tweener roles, and that's something WWE just doesn't provide.

21 hours ago, strobogo said:

CC is why AEW fucking rules even with all the negativity online recently. You can have weeks where Andrade is absolutely vicious and violent trying to re-injure Bryan to win, and a week later the crowd is fully into him against Claudio. You get matches like Garcia vs Eddie where the crowd is begging for Garcia to pull it out against perhaps the most beloved dude in the company. 

There's such a fluidity to match types and stories that don't box the wrestlers or crowds into heel, face, or tweener roles, and that's something WWE just doesn't provide.

This.

The CC has been the saving grace of the company for me lately. It makes everyone involved that much better and interesting, just by having pro-wrestling matches against each other (crazy concept too). The round robin formula allows for diverse stories to be told both within each matches but also through the arcs of each participants and the different dynamics they have against each others, and unless you're a complete dumbfuck of a booker it's not hard to make it really good, especially when the talent is there. It has totally surpassed any expectations I had, really.

And it's funny how Danielson really is having his own G1, and it's much better than if he had been involved in this year's G1 too (apart from a few possible matches like Takagi, Ishii and Ospreay, and the latest must happen next year, there's no way around it).

Gold League wrapped up last night with Mox, Swerve and White tied with 12 points each meaning the GL semi will be a triple threat match.

Blue League wraps up this Saturday when Andrade(9) faces Kingston(6), Castagnoli(6) faces Danielson(9) and King(6) faces Garcia(0). With this lineup Blue League is destined to end in a tie with perhaps as many as 5 men involved.

13 hours ago, Alucard said:

I got Garcia beating Brody to stop him from advancing,  Bryan/Claudio go to a draw, putting Bryan in the semis at 10, and Kingston beating Andrade to tie him at 9 and thus advancing via tiebreaker of their singles match.

I also had Garcia getting the upset to keep Brody out of the semi's. I was originally thinking that Claudio would upset Bryan and Kingston would beat Andrade to give them all a tie, but your way sounds a lot less chaotic.

52 minutes ago, MikeCampbell said:

I also had Garcia getting the upset to keep Brody out of the semi's. I was originally thinking that Claudio would upset Bryan and Kingston would beat Andrade to give them all a tie, but your way sounds a lot less chaotic.

I just marked out for the @MikeCampbell run in. Good to see you post here again Mike.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:11 PM, Alucard said:

I got Garcia beating Brody to stop him from advancing,  Bryan/Claudio go to a draw, putting Bryan in the semis at 10, and Kingston beating Andrade to tie him at 9 and thus advancing via tiebreaker of their singles match.

Congratulations! You called this perfectly.

At New Year's Dash the Blue League semifinal will be Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston while the previously mentioned Mox/Swerve/White three-way as the Gold League semi.