Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 2/14-2/17 Valentines Day edition

sek69

7 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Serious question…is there anybody who is actually enjoying this poor man’s WWE heel act that the Young Bucks are currently doing?

Plenty of people, if we go by social media reactions and podcast reviews. 

2 minutes ago, MoS said:

Plenty of people, if we go by social media reactions and podcast reviews. 

I can’t see how, honestly. Their promos are just SO bad. I can’t figure out if they’re deliberately doing cheesy, unbelievable, goofy, scripted and contrived promos as a way to try and make some sort of meta-statement about Sports Entertainment…or if they just suck. Either way, this shit is horrible. 

6 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I can’t see how, honestly. Their promos are just SO bad. I can’t figure out if they’re deliberately doing cheesy, unbelievable, goofy, scripted and contrived promos as a way to try and make some sort of meta-statement about Sports Entertainment…or if they just suck. Either way, this shit is horrible. 

I don't like it, and I don't want Sting's last ever angle to be with the Bucks. There also has been no reason for them to turn in kayfabe. They just took some time off and came back as heels.

But it's not been an unpopular angle. I heard praise about how they were classic old-school heels for wearing white during a beatdown angle with blading involved, which I personally think shows very low standards, cuz "wear white when blood is involved" should be one of the first things you learn as a wrestler. 

Personally, the best Sting-Bucks angle was when Sting after getting a hot tag completely no-sold their superkick and squashed them like bugs a couple years back. That's the only appropriate reaction. 

That said, shit like this is why I love AEW so much and am so glad it exists:

20240215_082531.jpg

7 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I think that's been the line on the Bucks since the PWG days. Are they doing meta sports entertainment stuff, or just bad sports entertainmenting? I think they're actually better as faces if only because Matt in particular drives me nuts with his I AM ACTING AND EMOTING LIKE HBK and also some verbal ticks that make all of his promos not good. When they were heels the last time, I frequently said Matt especially seemed like a wrestler on a 90s sitcom, but Nick has an aloofness to him that it didn't seem to fit that way on him.

spacer.png

Thank you Cody!

Dave is a better Brandon Cutler than Brandon Cutler.

While I take the point that referencing the rival's promotions biggest star is frowned upon, the purpose was to point out that their bad blood goes back years and point out the influence the Bucks have. If the Bucks didn't want this Russo type angle, then they wouldn't have adopted a Russo type gimmick where they lean into their backstage reputation.

Maybe if the beat-down had have been more impactful I'd agree but outside of Kingston and Copeland putting the Bucks on notice, the whole thing came off as hokey. Felt like I was watching a PG-13 Clockwork Orange.

On 2/15/2024 at 6:48 AM, Blehschmidt said:

That wasn't my favorite episode of Dynamite, but uhh... Skye Blue... Respectfully.

The nerfing of that outfit after the first time is a crime. Outside of respectfully shit, Skye Blue has improved dramatically over the past 6 months or so. Women's division has legit been very strong the past 2 months or so, after 3 years of mostly being an afterthought. Deonna coming in, the return of Deeb, Red Velvet and Queen Aminata looking great every appearance, Thunder Rosa being back, Julia Hart also improving a ton in the last year (I assume her injury is from that moonsault she did a show or two before she won the TBS title?, Toni Storm completely in her bag, whenever Riho and Shida (and Emi Sakura) pop up, always a fan of Willow and Stat. It's been a real highlight these past couple of months. Surely it is time for Brit to return. Hopefully Hayter can be back soon. Sasha has a lot to work with at this point.

All the online negativity about AEW the past however many months baffles me. A rad AEW show fucking rules, and like 7/10, Dynamite and Collision rule. There is so much rad shit you can only get from AEW. It's like how DVDVR and probably here would overly hype up Saturday Night or whatever territory weeklies, but if those awesome on paper matches got more than 5 minutes. And a whole show of that. Even if AEW is half filling arenas, the crowds are almost always super hot and into whatever is going on, and the vibe on screen is everyone is having fun in ring and in crowd. I saw that tweet about new sets coming, hopefully it is smaller sets so they can run smaller venues that can sell out and be super hot like the first few months of Dynamite before Covid hit. Even those half arena Dynamite/Collision shows are so much more energetic than those years in the mid '10s where Raw and SD were empty on hard cam side.

I’m really curious to see how the crowd will play at that Collision - that arena is a college basketball arena on campus at Missouri State, which isn’t a huge school. (My oldest daughter is studying there.) I could see it being a small but active crowd for a Springfield market that doesn’t get wrestling much…but I can also see a mostly college kid crowd that isn’t going to give a shit about Jun Akiyama.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:40 AM, The Thread Killer said:

Tbh that's how they've always been since PWG and that has never stopped them from being over. The Elite's key to success has been doing a lot of moves per match and convincing the fans they're smarter than they are with their meta bullshit.

I really like that the BCC is in a lot of open fronts now. They're against CMLL, Mox and Claudio just started business with FTR, Bryan just recently ended rivalries with Okada an ZSJ, now he has Kingston again, Mox has the eye on Naito for next month... They feel like the soul of the company and give so much sense of interconectiveness to the wrestling world. It's quickly becoming one of the best stables I've ever seen just because you can put any or every member in any program and it will be much better.