Pro Wrestling Only

MBS Presents: King and Queen of the Ring 2024

sek69

I tend to think that we'll probably see Wyatt Family 2.0 debut here since this card is honestly the most predictable one in a long time. The only one that seems not 100% obvious is the IC three way, since you could make a case for all of them based on what direction they go after this. Are they kicking off Bronson's main event push? Going all in on heel Gable? Paul seems like he's a long title reign kind of booker (other than gimmicks like MITB of course) so I wouldn't be surprised if Sami retains for a while longer.

Based on the hints & teases we got today, I lean more towards Clash at the Castle for the Uncle Howdy stuff to debut. We might get something extra tomorrow but I'd be surprised if we get anything major about this tomorrow.

My Gunther & Lyra for King & Queen of the Ring agenda is still alive though!

Per Meltzer, the level interest of Backlash in the US was ridiculously low. The Bloodmoney shows always had a lot less interest from the US audience as well. I wonder if this will end up a trend with this new business model of selling shows for super high prices to various cities elsewhere in the world (although I'm not sure Lyon actually paid for it, since basically they wanted to go to Paris and could not because of the Olympics coming up, so they settled for Lyon instead), making the money on the price tag for the event and the gate (with a super high ticket price), while the US audience doesn't really care about it, which doesn't matter now and will matter even less once they get on Netflix. 

I see the card, no Jamal Khashoggi Memorial Battle Royal this year I guess. Also, don't forget that in a week, WWE Universe is gonna celebrate Pride Month, because it's so important for the company to support the LGBT+ community ! 

See ya in Glasgow, I guess.

I've said it before but the Saudi crowds are low key some of the better ones WWE has.  Regardless of all the (extremely) questionable reasons these shows exist, the folks show up and bring it each time.

By no means saying that as any defense of them mind you, but at least there is some positives out of it.

I'm not sure I saw what the botch was?

Maybe it was just the bad camera angle?

From what I saw, Orton hit the RKO and had the cover, but Gunther slapped/punched him in the knee (which Orton had been consistently selling as damaged from early on during the abdominal stretch), which shocked Orton into sitting up. Gunther then rolled him up (sloppily, but good enough) to get his shoulders on the mat for a quick pin.

I thought the match was terrific. Maybe not MOTY-territory, but very, very good. I'm not as well-versed on Gunther's resume, but just based on his main roster WWE output, he's got to have one of the highest batting averages of banger matches I can recall. 

32 minutes ago, DMJ said:

I'm not sure I saw what the botch was?

Maybe it was just the bad camera angle?

From what I saw, Orton hit the RKO and had the cover, but Gunther slapped/punched him in the knee (which Orton had been consistently selling as damaged from early on during the abdominal stretch), which shocked Orton into sitting up. Gunther then rolled him up (sloppily, but good enough) to get his shoulders on the mat for a quick pin.

Exactly. I thought the match and the finish went off pretty much how it was supposed to, and it was surprisingly good, bordering on great. The crowd being so insanely into it definitely helped.

No way Orton's shoulders were close to being on the mat for most of the three count, that was definitely botched. I am surprised that the ref actually counted the fall, at least a couple of years ago they were told to call it as they see it, ergo if a cover is botched, don't count the fall.