ROH scaling back

MikeCampbell

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this news story from Dave Meltzer fitted the topic of this thread:

--Friday night's ROH show will be the final PPV at least for the time being, as they are not going to renew their contract with G-Funk, which expires with the next show.

That's probably for the best anyway, with their TV taping schedule (they tape six weeks of TV at once) and the weird "alternate universe" quality of the PPVs as it is, I can only imagine the PPVs were wreaking havoc on how they planned shows. Until they're either doing live TV (and I'm certainly not suggesting that) or at least doing fewer weeks of TV tapings at once, they are probably better off shelving the PPVs.

I suppose it makes sense from the perspective that they went on PPV to increase their exposure and now that they've got TV they don't need the exposure being on PPV gave them. That said, TV is a much better vehicle for selling PPVs than DVDs, so the fact that their giving up on PPV for the moment is not a positive sign and it's a black mark on Adam Pearce as booker that PPV business has declined so much that it's no longer a viable revenue stream.

Ehhh...I really doubt they ever made money off the PPVs in the first place. I don't think ROH has expanded its market presence at all in the last couple of years since they started doing those, in fact I'd put money they've lost ground.

Did Meltzer ever report their PPV numbers? Obviously since they've stopped doing them they weren't good.