Pro Wrestling Only

So I guess we know what the money angle for WM is

sek69

Showtime in Vegas

By Lennie DiFino

Written: February 17, 2008

WBC Welterweight Champion "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather stands up to a leaner and meaner Big Show, who made his return to WWE at No Way Out Sunday.

LAS VEGAS - For the first time in more than a year, Big Show returned to WWE in the best shape of his career at No Way Out. The giant’s appearance after Edge retained his World Heavyweight Championship against Rey Mysterio has shocked the sports-entertainment world – and his showdown with WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather sent riptides through the globe.

Almost nine years to the day after his initial WWE debut at St. Valentine’s Day Massacre in 1999, Big Show returned to deliver a message to our fans and to the Superstars of WWE: “I have been a champion before, and it’s only a matter of time before I am a champion again.” Now that Big Show – 108 pounds leaner – has returned and served notice that he is focused and in the best shape of his life, will any member of the respective rosters be safe?

One person who wasn’t exactly safe on Sunday night was Mysterio. Big Show bullied the injured Mysterio as he left the ringside area, and then goaded Floyd Mayweather – a close friend of Rey Mysterio’s – into an altercation. Earlier in the night, Mayweather and the masked Superstar had a conversation in the locker room area, and the champion boxer wished his friend good luck in trying to regain the gold from Edge.

Considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world today, Mayweather sat at ringside enjoying No Way Out and Rey’s bid for the title before Big Show began taunting him. The boxing champion learned quickly that trying to inflict pain upon the former WWE, WCW and ECW Champion is not an easy task. Big Show may have been bloodied by the left hook of Mayweather, but the incensed giant gave chase as Mayweather quickly retreated with his entourage in tow.

After the hit and run encounter, Big Show was calmed down by Shane McMahon, who headed off the charging giant and made sure the altercation did not escalate further. Shane and Show could be seen having a heated conversation up the ramp on the way out of the arena.

What will Show’s return mean to Raw, SmackDown and ECW, and which championship might Big Show eye now that he has returned and vowed to regain gold?

This was obviously meant to remind people of the Tyson-Austin encounter, but it came off even better (to me at least) since the announce team went silent - which is usually wrestling code for "oh shit, this isn't supposed to be happening". Also props to Big Show for taking what appeared to be a legit punch from a world champion boxer to set up what will probably be a huge angle for the company.

This could be record setting for WWE, since the Tyson bit did monster business and Iron Mike was for all intents done in 1998. Mayweather is a big PPV draw on his own, so this could be the forumla for a ridiculous buyrate if everything works out.

Also, I don't know if it was BS, but he was rumored to want to get involved in MMA. Now he's probably going to end up with a bigger payday than any MMA group would be able to offer and the most he'll have to do is take a few bumps if even that.

Floyd isn't Tyson. And the yesterday's news Big Show isn't Austin entering his prime. If this doesn't tie into some fresher WWE star being helped to the next level, then it's just a jerk off.

John

Well that's why I said "if everything works out". We don't know where they're going with this yet, I'm just stating that 2008 Floyd Mayweather > 1998 Mike Tyson. The potential is there, and when it comes to celebrity angles, WWE usually does a great job.

I think they needed a celebrity angle like this to have a chance of matching last year's Mania PPV business, so in that sense it's a positive. This is also the best way of getting some mileage out of Big Show's return. That said, one gets the feeling that Floyd Mayweather is being miscast as a babyface, after playing the heel in his feuds against Oscar De La Hoya (who really would be much better for the role Mayweather is playing) and Ricky Hatton. I don't see the affiliation with Rey Mysterio and Big Show heeling against him will be enough to turn him face, as neither are great promos. So I think the angle is worth doing, but like the Donald Trump angle will mean little over the long haul.

Well that's why I said "if everything works out". We don't know where they're going with this yet, I'm just stating that 2008 Floyd Mayweather > 1998 Mike Tyson. The potential is there, and when it comes to celebrity angles, WWE usually does a great job.

Maybe in boxing skill but name recognition? Kind of a stretch...

2008 Floyd Mayweather isn't remotely close to 1998 Mike Tyson. I'm not sure that 2008 Floyd is even 2008 Mike. If both were arrested today, who would be higher on Sports Center?

It's a bit like the eye opening that Meltzer had after years of putting over Austin as being bigger than Hogan. Hogan gets divorced and it's a lead story. It dawns on him that hadn't been the case for Stone Cold.

Tyson was boxing, even to people who didn't follow boxing. To a big chunk of the mainstream public, he still is boxing since he's one of the last guys they gave a shit about. Floyd is just a name to people who follow boxing, and even then a lesser star than ODLH. Tyson never was a lesser start than anyone.

John