Pro Wrestling Only

How do you guys review a show/match?

TravJ1979

Just wondering what methods you use to review a show or match.

Do you watch and then type out your thoughts later?

Do you record comments on a tape recorder?

Do you write as you are watching?

Every time I decide to review a show/match I always find it difficult because I either forget what I want to say after the match is over or I get distracted from the match by "reviewing" it as I watch it.

So what do you find is the most effective method without losing quality?

Depends over the years:

* takes written notes, then type something up

* type as I go along: editing, adding, deleting, revising as the match evolves and at times needing to rewind to double check things

* watch it then wing it with comments afterwards

I'll often watch something a second time before rambling about it, as the first time might be at a tape get together or at a point where I have just enough time to watch and not really take notes or write.

There certainly are plenty of times where I'm lazy in it just winging, and other times where I take far too much time for what it's really worth. The amount of time that I took on the Briscos vs. Adonis & Murdoch was pretty ridiculous for a match that I didn't think much of. :)

Never was into the dictaphone thing.

John

I don't really have a set method.

My general rule of thumb is watch the match, note all the interesting (for better or worse) stuff that happens, consider why it's interesting, consider how it all ties together into a cohesive whole, decide whether or not the result is any good, consider why, and then head over to my computer and write it all down.

My biggest folly is watching a match to review and then not actually writing down my thoughts until much later, by which point I inevitably forget everything and have to hastily re-do the process (or not so hastily, if it's a match I actually enjoyed). The advent of DVD and great matches being readily available online makes this a lot easier, but then there's stuff I have on VHS or TiVO, where the match is in one room and my computer is in another, and I have to go back and forth a lot between two rooms. And of course, there's live shows. I'm a pretty bad judge of live wrestling to begin with, because I mark out for just about everything, but then I wait a few days after an event to write a review and have to say things like "this match was pretty good, but that's all I really remember about it", and I basically feel like a tool.

I'll often watch something a second time before rambling about it, as the first time might be at a tape get together or at a point where I have just enough time to watch and not really take notes or write.

While I have in the past and still do occasionally, I really dislike watching wrestling in groups. I find I get more out of matches watching alone. I'm the same way with movies and, for the most part, television.

I also dislike dictating into a recorder. I think watching it a couple of times and rewinding is the best method.

Thanks for your thoughts.

but then I wait a few days after an event to write a review and have to say things like "this match was pretty good, but that's all I really remember about it", and I basically feel like a tool.

I don't have anything substantive to add here. But this line totally cracked me up! :lol:

Depends. If I'm just spouting off thoughts on a message board, I'm not too disciplined. I usually type comments on Raw live during the commercial breaks, since it's a live show and all. Everything else I just wait til the show is over and try to remember my thoughts as best I can. If I'm doing something like "Why TNA Sucks, using every single segment from last night as proof" long rant, I might refer to a website recap to remind me of all the crap my brain was trying to repress.

The only time I ever took reviewing seriously was several years ago when I was doing reviews of a local indy show for the local indy board and trying to be a Very Serious Smarte Marke. I taped the show every week, and then played it back while I typed the review, often pausing, rewinding, and such to make sure I got everything right. Unfortunately, this was Bert Prentice's wrestling show, so after about a year of nonsensical matches, nonexistant storylines, rerun episodes, and Prentice screaming "TONIGHTTONIGHTTONIGHT!!!" in endless commercials every five seconds, I was finally driven so insane that I actually got into the wrestling business as a consequence. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

While I have in the past and still do occasionally, I really dislike watching wrestling in groups. I find I get more out of matches watching alone.

I think it's pretty exceptional to watch wrestling with others people. Someone tends to see something you didn't see, or brings a different perspective to it. I doubt I got more out of solo watching wrestling in this decade than I did out syncing stuff with Jewett. A good deal of what I bring to the table now is out of watching stuff with others, be it Frank or the ripping on matches that I might do with Yohe and Hoback in our get togethers.

Plus it's shitloads of fun. Bordy vs. Bockwinkel is just a dogshit match. It's painful to watch alone. Sit through it with a couple of other people who think that Brody is the drizzling shits in it, and it's a hoot.

I'm the same way with movies and, for the most part, television.

I love watching movies and TV with others. Similar reasons as wrestling - loads of fun, and another eye (or several pairs) picking up on things you might miss.

My Mom loves UFC, after catching TUF early on. I was prefertly bored with MMA at that point... long since bored by it. But watching it with her is a good deal of fun. So when I'm down at my folks, she and I typical watch a PPV or two catching up on the product. Fun stuff.

John

• 1 month later...
Guest robgomm

I'm a geek so, when I'm looking to get a critical view of a match, I will just watch it the first time, no notes. Then I will write. Then I will watch the match again making extensive notes, sometimes breaking it down spot for spot (rarely, because it takes a while). Then I will make a final report and look at my ratings guide to decide on its mark.

I'm a geek

I usually just write down whatever is inside my head after the match. Taking down notes during is too distracting, and I feel that whatever I feel about a match right after it, whatever stuck in my head, etc. is the true feeling I have about it and hasn't been affected by being away from it for too long or anything.

• 2 years later...

but then I wait a few days after an event to write a review and have to say things like "this match was pretty good, but that's all I really remember about it", and I basically feel like a tool.

I don't have anything substantive to add here. But this line totally cracked me up! :lol:

Trolling old threads, and I found this comment by SLL. I was about to write something on how it made me laugh -- until I scrolled down a few posts and found my response from two years back. . .