Pro Wrestling Only

Catch-all weirdo wrestling trivia facts thread

Bix

Off the top of my head:

How many WWF vs WCW matches took place? I know of Rad Radford vs Chris Benoit from the Stu Hart birthday show in '95 and the famous Tazz ECW title win over Mike Awesome. Anything else? Spicolli-Benoit didn't get any attention at the time for some reason, as nobody seemed to realize how significant it was.

How many cards had wrestlers from both WWF and WCW? The Pillman memorials, of course. Some USWA shows in '95 when they were working w/ the WWF while also serving as WCW's developmental group (off the top of my head, WCW sent Scott Studd, The Gambler, and Chris Kanyon there).

Did anyone ever work WWF, WCW, and ECW within the span of a month? Pillman comes to mind but I think he had been gone from WCW for awhile when he had his accident. Public Enemy did it within 2 months in '95-'96. Maybe when they left the WWF during '99 and went back to ECW and then WCW? How close did Pillman get? Joey Matthews & Christian York cancelled their WCW gig and went straight from ECW to WWF developmental, right?

How many wrestlers have physically attacked members of the media? Schultz, Vader...?

Any answers or other random things that only we find interesting?

Guest CompletePlayer

Did anyone ever work WWF, WCW, and ECW within the span of a month?

Rick Rude appeared in all three promotions in November 1997, but he was cutting promos and not wrestling. I remember the night that Rude showed up with just his moustache on Nitro the same day he appeared with a beard via tape delay RAW. Being from New Orleans, we got the newest episode of ECW TV every Monday night 30 minutes after RAW ended that aired on a local station once ran by current mayor of the Chocolate City Ray Nagin. So I got to see Rick Rude appear on WCW, WWF and ECW TV in the same night.

I should've remembered that one.

Random fact: In one weekend in 1991, Cactus Jack appeared on 3 1st run shows: World Championship Wrestling, GWF Major League Wrestling, and...WIN out of Baltimore I think?

I tell ya, that Foley will whore himself out to anybody!

:lol:

It may not quite count, but I'm about 99% sure Vader did a run-in for the USWA as part of his "Roadkill Tour" building to his challenge to Hulk Hogan (where Vader would do run-ins at various indy cards and beat the crap out of two guys having a match), at a card where there was WWF talent working.

On a similar note, how many All-Japan vs. New Japan matches were there in the pre-NOAH era when that thing was a big deal? You have the two interpromotional cards--the Tokyo Sports one from the late '70s and the 1990 Dome show. I'm also talking about things like Terry Funk vs. Hulk Hogan in South Africa where a mini-scandal erupted over Funk doing the job. You could also count the Steiners vs. MVC. Jushin Liger and Dr. Death were on opposite sides of a Lethal Lottery tag match.

Only two pairings have opened a WWF/E and a WCW PPV: Austin-Mero (Slamboree '94 and KOTR '96) and Booker-Benoit (GAB '98 and Armageddon '05).

Flair-Savage is, as far as I can remember, the only match to take place at Wrestlemania and Starrcade.

Interestingly, Eddie & Rey would have been part of both groups had their match at Starrcade '97 taken place, but Rey was hurt, I guess, and replaced with Dean Malenko.

It may not quite count, but I'm about 99% sure Vader did a run-in for the USWA as part of his "Roadkill Tour" building to his challenge to Hulk Hogan (where Vader would do run-ins at various indy cards and beat the crap out of two guys having a match), at a card where there was WWF talent working.

Yes, if memory serves the Undertaker was in the main event that night. Vader randomly came out during some undercard match and killed some jobbers.

For WWF and WCW guys working the same show, this happened at all the pre-buyout Pillman Memorials iirc.

Before losing his "last" match to Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 14, Shawn Michaels had not done a clean pinfall job on any televised show in three years. This includes being both a babyface and a heel.

Despite all the talk about Michaels and Hart not being willing to job to each other in '97, they actually both pinned each other that year in non-televised matches. Both were in three-ways: Michaels pinned Hart in a three-way with Sid at the Skydome early in the year (yes, Hart jobbed to Michaels in Canada) and Hart pinned Michaels in a three-way with Undertaker at the Raw taping at MSG in September.

I should've remembered that one.

Random fact: In one weekend in 1991, Cactus Jack appeared on 3 1st run shows: World Championship Wrestling, GWF Major League Wrestling, and...WIN out of Baltimore I think?

Bull Pain said he did the same thing back in the 80s with NWA, AWA and WWF. Although I don't know how many shows were done each taping

How many wrestlers have physically attacked members of the media? Schultz, Vader...?

Hogan/Belzer?

The UIW out of Baltimore? Axl's promotion or some other Baltimore fed?

The only two people to pin Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart on two, consecutive PPV's were:

Arn Anderson (Summerslam 1989 (Bret), Survivor Series 1989(Shawn))

and

Sid Vicious (Survivor Series 1996 (Shawn), In Your House "It's Time" 12/96 (Bret))

and, as we all know, Arn and Sid share another wrestling story as well ...

Before losing his "last" match to Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 14, Shawn Michaels had not done a clean pinfall job on any televised show in three years. This includes being both a babyface and a heel.

There was a Michaels/Lothario vs. Vader/Cornette match on Raw a little after SummerSlam '96 that ended with Michaels eating a Vaderbomb for the pin. I was almost positive it was a clean loss, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Another competition-on-the-same-show card: the Don Owen 60th Anniversary Show on 5/21/85. Roddy Piper worked the show against Buddy Rose without permission from Vince, and it featured both Rick Martel and Ric Flair defending their World titles.

Akira Maeda, in his second New Japan run, was pinned exactly one time. By a rookie Bam Bam Bigelow.

If jdw or someone would care to explain the story behind that one to me, I'd love to hear it, because I find it totally bizarre. I get that they were building Bam Bam up to be a top gaijin monster, but a.) how'd they get Maeda to go along with it, and b.) why do you book your Monster Heel to win on a flash-pin small package?

The UIW out of Baltimore? Axl's promotion or some other Baltimore fed?

Yeah, UIW, that's it.

There was a Michaels/Lothario vs. Vader/Cornette match on Raw a little after SummerSlam '96 that ended with Michaels eating a Vaderbomb for the pin. I was almost positive it was a clean loss, but maybe I'm misremembering.

This one?

WWF @ Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Arena - September 23, 1996 (3,923)

Monday Night Raw taping:

9/30/96:

Vader & Jim Cornette defeated WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels & Jose Lothario at around 9:30 when Vader pinned Michaels with a powerbomb and the Vader Bomb; prior to the bout, footage of Michaels appearing at Macy's in New York City the previous Saturday on behalf of Rock the Vote; after the match, Vader attempted a second Vader Bomb but Psycho Sid made the save; the show went off the air as Michaels and Sid fought off Vader and Goldust

In watching my Royal Rumble DVDs, I found a fun trivia fact was to name well-known wrestlers who appeared on the Royal Rumble PPVs, but never were a participant in the Rumble match itself. The most notable such wrestler is Scott Hall... while Razor Ramon appeard in the 1997 Rumble, that was when Big Titan was playing the character. Hall as Ramon did a run-in in the 1996 Rumble, but he wasn't an actual participant.

There are also those well-known wrestlers who have just one appearance as a Rumble participant, such as Tully Blanchard, Arn Anderson and Rick Steiner.

Guest Some Guy

This one?

WWF @ Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Arena - September 23, 1996 (3,923)

Monday Night Raw taping:

9/30/96:

Vader & Jim Cornette defeated WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels & Jose Lothario at around 9:30 when Vader pinned Michaels with a powerbomb and the Vader Bomb; prior to the bout, footage of Michaels appearing at Macy's in New York City the previous Saturday on behalf of Rock the Vote; after the match, Vader attempted a second Vader Bomb but Psycho Sid made the save; the show went off the air as Michaels and Sid fought off Vader and Goldust

Vader pinned HBK at International Incident in July of 96 during a 6 man. I think it was Vader/Bulldog/Owen vs. HBK/Ahmed/Sid. I don't remember what led up to it ut he did lose to the Vaderbomb. Then he crushed Vader's push the next month at Summerslam. Outside of that PPV, the Raw match, and the joke match with HHH in late 97 where he laid down and let HHH pin him for the Euro title I don't think Shawn did a clean job on TV between WM 11 and WM 14. Since his return he has lost cleanly to HHH, Benoit (Backlash 04), Goldberg (Summerslam 03), Orton, Cena, and maybe a few other people. He of course has cleanly beaten all of those guys except Goldberg as well.

I think Terry Funk is the only guy to main event a WWF, WCW, and ECW PPV. NWO 98, Bash 89 amongst others, and Barely Legal. Very few guys that I can think of headlined an ECW PPV and either a WWF/E or WCW PPV. RVD is the only one who comes to mind. Maybe The Dudley Boyz, too.

Guest Lone Rogue

I think Terry Funk is the only guy to main event a WWF, WCW, and ECW PPV. NWO 98, Bash 89 amongst others, and Barely Legal. Very few guys that I can think of headlined an ECW PPV and either a WWF/E or WCW PPV. RVD is the only one who comes to mind. Maybe The Dudley Boyz, too.

Sid comes to mind in someone who might have headlined all three. Same with Cactus Jack. Not positive.

Bam Bam headlined a WWF PPV (Wrestlemania of all things), I think he might have headlined an ECW PPV as well? Not sure if his feud with Goldberg ever landed him a PPV Main event.

Guest Some Guy

Sid comes to mind in someone who might have headlined all three. Same with Cactus Jack. Not positive.

Bam Bam headlined a WWF PPV (Wrestlemania of all things), I think he might have headlined an ECW PPV as well? Not sure if his feud with Goldberg ever landed him a PPV Main event.

Bam Bam headlined November to Remember 97 with Shane Douglas and WM 11 and KotR 95 in a tag match but never a WCW PPV that I can remember. He did a run in during the Starrcade ME between Goldberg and Nash.

Foley was in WWF for over a year before ECW started having PPVs. But he did headline Halloween Havoc 93 in WCW as well as several WWF PPVs.

I think Bubba Dudley was in the ME of an ECW PPV against Taz as a replacement and he was also in the ME of One Night Stand 05. But I don't think he was even advertised for the match against Taz.

Sid only did squash matches in ECW before going back to WCW.