Pro Wrestling Only

Slam! Wrestling article on anti-semitism in pro wrestling

Bix

How have you never seen a promo for Slappowitz?

I don't know how I didn't until recently, but it was pretty amazing.

isn't what I expected Izzy Slapowitz to look like. I was expecting short slicked-back hair and a nice suit.

He's working rabbi/kabbalistic religous leader gimmick not lawyer gimmick.

Yeah, Floyd Creatchman did the Jew lawyer gimmick.

Also, wasn't Dusty known for telling promoters they didn't need to fill their one black wrestler quota when he was around - because he could draw the black fans himself?

Well he usually did, does that make him racist?

Also I have no doubt that a man referred to as Captain Redneck was not at all unfamiliar with dropping n-bombs and whatnot, but that doesn't make Dusty racist. I'm sure we all have a friend or co-worker we hang with that's a little too loose with certain terminologies.

Was having white rockers perform the work of black rockers and then get all the credit and money for it racist?

Cultural appropriation, especially when it's turned into a cheap parody is never a good thing. 'Course, you don't realize these things as a kid. I was always more annoyed by things like Saba Simba and Kamala.

It was racist if Dusty actually went around telling promoters that they didn't need to book any black wrestlers if he was on the card, of course it was.

Actually, this very discussion is why I gave up on the Wrestling Classics board. There was an argument about racism, and I pointed out the fact that wrestling seems to always be a decade or two behind the times when it comes to race relations. Aside from not having a black WWF/E champion until the year 1998/2006 (depending on if you count Rock or not), there's a whole shitload of various racist gimmicks and characters which perpetuated the basest and most offensive of wheezy old stereotypes. The response I got? "Those are just gimmicks, they don't count, there's no racism in wrestling!" Nobody agreed with me. Never went back there again.

Well, pro-wrestling is a decade or two when it comes to racism, mysoginism and homophobia. I guess it's the nature of the beast. Pro-wrestling is designed after the average intelligent white man whose biggest fears are : gay (because it questions and threatens his virility), foreigner (because he can't understand their language and culture) and women (because they are women). It's not a coincidence that these three are mostly used as an object of ridicule and disgust, a focus for simplistic hatred and as sex objects in the pro-wrestling landscape.

The delusion of the WC people is quite pathetic.

Which is kind of funny because wrestling, and even MMA, is pretty homo-erotic.

Yeah it is but at the same time pro wrestling, MMA and amateur wrestling are activities that straight men are naturally driven to.

From my experience when I wrestled before, you don't think of the gay aspect of it all. It is actually perhaps the number 1, most natural sport that a straight man is instinctively drawn to. However, IF you wrestle with a women, you tend to think about the sexual nature of it a lot more.

Yeah it is but at the same time pro wrestling, MMA and amateur wrestling are activities that straight men are naturally driven to.

From my experience when I wrestled before, you don't think of the gay aspect of it all. It is actually perhaps the number 1, most natural sport that a straight man is instinctively drawn to. However, IF you wrestle with a women, you tend to think about the sexual nature of it a lot more.

Wow

I dunno what wrestling you're talking about, but in pro rassling there are indeed a lot of guys who look at it in a pervy way when they wrestle a woman. There was that incident where the one dude had a hard-on during that match in ROH, and if you ask just about any female worker they'll tell you some story about how some dude popped wood while in the ring with them.

I dunno what wrestling you're talking about, but in pro rassling there are indeed a lot of guys who look at it in a pervy way when they wrestle a woman. There was that incident where the one dude had a hard-on during that match in ROH, and if you ask just about any female worker they'll tell you some story about how some dude popped wood while in the ring with them.

Wrestling in general. Amateur I was mostly thinking of but pro wrestling too.

Exactly. Against a man, unless you're gay you don't think about the sexual part of wrestling but if you wrestle a woman and you're straight you think of the sexual nature of it (pro or amateur)

Um no.

No what?

How is wrestling or MMA or amatuer wrestling in any shape or form not at its root one of the most manly sports there is? What, baseball is ahead of it? Wrestling or wrestling + boxing or fighting is competetion one on one -- man vs man at its most primitive root. Man in its nature is a competitive warrior (primal instinct in order to attract females so he can spread his genetic DNA) and wrestling or stuff like boxing/amatuer wrestling/fighting is a competition that brings that out more than other sports out there.

If you're using "manly" as a synonym for "violent", sure.

It's true there is no real definition of manly. There is no black and white when describing what it is. There are some shades of grey. I have a description of it but it's something I would like to talk about in detail for a long period of time as it's complicated and interesting. Not going to do that here because that's going way off topic.

Yep. It can be very homoerotic at some points. The old days had wonderful bears like the Andersons. Nowadays, if I was gay, I would probably love to watch Randy Orton, just like joshi puroresu had a vast lesbian audience (LLPW anyone?).