Pro Wrestling Only

WWE and Denver

Loss

This is probably going to end up with some hilarious stories, and deserves its own thread:

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/9337/124/

The impasse over who will get an event at the Pepsi Center in Denver on Monday night saw WWE send out a press releasing claiming next Monday's event TV show is in danger of being canceled.

That would be almost impossible to fathom even though the press release teased the possibility. While difficult to put together, it isn't as if smaller companies than WWE faced with similar situations haven't garnered a new venue for taping with as little as a day or two notice and pulled it off. The company may be partially using this situation for maximum publicity value.

The WWE said they are at an impasse over the issue on Monday night and the live Raw show is "in jeopardy of being canceled by the Denver Nuggets."

They wrote they were expecting a sellout crowd and booked the date back on 8/15. Vince McMahon was upset because as a general rule, NBA and NHL franchises put holds on their home arena months earlier if there is a possible playoff game.

"Even though the Denver Nuggets had a strong team this year and were projected to make the playoffs, obviously Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke did not have enough faith in his own team to hold the May 25th date for a potential playoff game," said Vince McMahon.

To be honest, Vince (or his PR-written quote) makes a great point at the end of what Meltzer reported above - why the hell wouldn't the Pepsi Center be more careful scheduling huge events at the end of a basketball season when the hometown team was a strong contender all season?

I'm interested to see where they hold RAW - I assume they'll go to a smaller arena in the area. Is it truly close to a sellout to the point that some fans would be stranded if it was moved? I can't fathom any RAW right now being a total sellout before the day of the event, especially in a big arena.

Guest PhilTLL

I'm interested to see where they hold RAW - I assume they'll go to a smaller arena in the area. Is it truly close to a sellout to the point that some fans would be stranded if it was moved? I can't fathom any RAW right now being a total sellout before the day of the event, especially in a big arena.

The Monday daily update said the advance is "believed" to be more than Denver Coliseum can hold in the Raw setup, and ticket conversion is a "disaster" they want to avoid. I can't believe an NBA basketball team/major arena owner is actually in danger of getting PR-one-upped by VKM, even if he will get his way in the end.

Swiped from the Sports and Wrestling board...

FROM PWINSIDER

Vince McMahon was interviewed by KMGH-TV in Denver over the Pepsi Center/Denver Nuggets issue. He basically repeated what he said in the statement they released but at the end he had "something" for Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke. McMahon held up an L.A. Lakers hat and a Lakers jersey, telling Kroeke "this is what the WWE thinks of you and your management." McMahon also says he'd like to support the Nuggets and called Denver a great city but said "they're throwing us out."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/19493120/detail.html

Swiped from the Sports and Wrestling board...

FROM PWINSIDER

Vince McMahon was interviewed by KMGH-TV in Denver over the Pepsi Center/Denver Nuggets issue. He basically repeated what he said in the statement they released but at the end he had "something" for Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke. McMahon held up an L.A. Lakers hat and a Lakers jersey, telling Kroeke "this is what the WWE thinks of you and your management." McMahon also says he'd like to support the Nuggets and called Denver a great city but said "they're throwing us out."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/19493120/detail.html

This whole situation is awesome since it gives Vince a free pass to be a big a dick as he wants since he's pretty much indisputably in the right here.

Guest Kenta Batista

VKM blurring lines between the Mr. McMahon character and the real vince. Vince cut a promo on Kroenke!

I see WWE backing out of this. Vince is full of complete shit and when it comes down to it the WWE is NOT going to stop the NBA playoffs and Vince is just milking this for attention. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE has already scheduled another arena and made those people sign an NDA. If fo some reason this isn't a PR stunt by Vince and his team then I see a 'best of' Raw coming up or WWE Judgement Day being shown for free on TV or maybe in Mania(minus Kid Rock show).

How about a little cross promotion? The NBA playoffs are pretty boring and don't get much interest these days. Same with wrestling. I say make the NBA game half court and give the WWE the other half of the arena and they go on at the same time. ESPN and USA can base their coverage on which product is the most entertaining. Think of the possibilities!

How about a little cross promotion? The NBA playoffs are pretty boring and don't get much interest these days. Same with wrestling. I say make the NBA game half court and give the WWE the other half of the arena and they go on at the same time. ESPN and USA can base their coverage on which product is the most entertaining. Think of the possibilities!

Half court, make-it-take-it -- first team to 21 by one's? Awesome.

Guest Kenta Batista

I do not understand why this is even a issue when the WWE already has a contract to run a show on Monday?

Why is having the NBA game on a Tuesday night such a big deal!?

But I think that WWE will just end up getting some sort of payment from the nuggets for canceling there contract and to offset the additional expenses incurred.Also The NHL does not have any problems moving there playoff games when the arena's already have something else booked

And to the rest of the people who hear about this, he didn't book an "NBA arena", he booked an arena and now the owner wants to violate the contract so the team he owns can throw balls at a metal hoop. I'm sorry, but basketball does not trump a legal contract.

I do not understand why this is even a issue when the WWE already has a contract to run a show on Monday?

But I think that WWE will just end up getting some sort of payment from the nuggets for canceling there contract and to offset the additional expenses incurred.Also The NHL does not have any problems moving there playoff games when the arena's already have something else booked

And to the rest of the people who hear about this, he didn't book an "NBA arena", he booked an arena and now the owner wants to violate the contract so the team he owns can throw balls at a metal hoop. I'm sorry, but basketball does not trump a legal contract.

I believe they don't want to move the NBA game because then the Eastern Conference finals and Western Conference finals game would be played at the same time on Tuesday night, cutting into TV advertising revenue. The NHL has no problem moving games because the people running the NHL are retarded and don't understand marketing. The recent game 7 between Boston and Carolina was joined in progress. A game 7....joined in progress.....embarrassing.

I believe they don't want to move the NBA game because then the Eastern Conference finals and Western Conference finals game would be played at the same time on Tuesday night, cutting into TV advertising revenue. The NHL has no problem moving games because the people running the NHL are retarded and don't understand marketing. The recent game 7 between Boston and Carolina was joined in progress. A game 7....joined in progress.....embarrassing.

The NHL also has just two American national TV contracts: NBC and Vs. Considering NBC is too scared of perceived poor ratings to show more than one NHL game per week, they were kind of handcuffed.

The NBA has one series on TNT and the other on ABC/ESPN with staggered start times. No reason the Eastern Conference game can't start at 7:30 and the Western Conference game at 10:30.

If the Western game starts at 10:30, then the network loses all the ad revenue from the east coast of the country that will go to bed before the game ends. This isn't an NBA issue, it's all about getting the maximum TV revenues possible and starting games after 10pm EST is the opposite of that.

The latest chapter, per the Observer website:

--It appears that WWE is going to hold Raw at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Monday with an announcement coming momentarily. There is more to this story that would be some major irony if it turns out to be true, that we'll have later today.

This is hilarious. I'm curious to see how well WWE draws for a show with five days notice to fans. Probably well, to be honest, due to the amount of publicity this will receive compared to a stand RAW TV event or house show.