Pro Wrestling Only

John Morrisson/Teddy Long on "Smackdown"

artDDP

I actually thought Morrison looked really disconnected here and showed the least amount of personality and charisma of any segment he's been in. It was just really odd. His gaze seemed far off and it looked like he was reading off a cue card (ala Saturday Night Live) for most of it.

I like Morrison and I think he does have some personality. It just doesn't work when they force the contrived comedy.

I dont understand the hate for this at least Morrison showed some personality here.

The hate stems from WWE's insistence that if someone makes a pop culture reference through an obviously forced smile the audience will find them that much cooler. That may work on the small percentage of fans who are really oblivious to the world around them--those that take those "Did You Know?" graphics as fact--yet there is a greater percentage of fans who see right through this stuff. Remember, this is the wrestling promotion that trots out Kid Rock and Motley Crue years after their glory days and has tried for over ten years to make you believe Michael Cole is hip.

Yeah, I think if there was a genuine MJ fan on the WWE roster, it would have come off as much more sincere. I mean shit, Teddy Long didn't even know the fucking words to Beat It.

How do you know that was scripted? I took it as part of the comedy.

I dont understand the hate for this at least Morrison showed some personality here.

The hate stems from WWE's insistence that if someone makes a pop culture reference through an obviously forced smile the audience will find them that much cooler. That may work on the small percentage of fans who are really oblivious to the world around them--those that take those "Did You Know?" graphics as fact--yet there is a greater percentage of fans who see right through this stuff. Remember, this is the wrestling promotion that trots out Kid Rock and Motley Crue years after their glory days and has tried for over ten years to make you believe Michael Cole is hip.

You lost me. Your point whatever it is makes no sense sentence to sentence.

The point is that WWE wants to present their wrestlers as cool but they can't be because they are scripted by a combination of old people, geeks, and old geeks.

For all the talk of Austin's heel turn and the invasion angle (which were the big reasons for the decline in fans, don't get me wrong), I think a pretty huge turn-off in 2001 was WWE's increased emphasis on comedy (which Vince preferred to call "humor" or "ha-ha") to the point where every match seemed to be bookended by Debra baking cookies or Steve Blackman holding a kendo stick between his legs in silhouette. They've managed to rein it in quite a bit since then. But when it's there, it's real bad.

Guest Kenta Batista

I just think its cool WWE did a shoutout to MJ. Whether corny, poorly written, or whatever. A small WWE tribute and mention to a legend is better then nothing at all. I LOVE The Human Tornado video.

Yeah, I think if there was a genuine MJ fan on the WWE roster, it would have come off as much more sincere. I mean shit, Teddy Long didn't even know the fucking words to Beat It.

How do you know that was scripted? I took it as part of the comedy.

I don't think it was scripted. I think they saw Teddy Long was a black guy and assumed he knew the words. When they filmed it, Teddy didn't have a clue. If it was supposed to be scripted that way, it just reinforces my point.

Wouldn't that be greater evidence that the Creative Staff (or Vince) aren't actually Michael Jackson fans and also don't know the words to Beat It?