Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Loss, you do know there is a major difference between pushing a roided up Luger as a full timer and a roided up movie star part timer Rock, right?

The difference is that Dave likes The Rock and didn't like Luger.

Probably but my point is the locker room isn't going to look at the Rock and think, "Man, if I blew up like that, I will get the pushes." They would be thinking more accurately- "Man, if I got as over as he did, then left for years and found other ways to get even more popular while acting like I didn't need wrestling anymore, then decided to gift WWE with some spot appearances, they will bend over backwards for me too". The Rock is in a different league than Luger ever was in 1992. Your point is valid however about Dave's biases coloring the newsletters.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Nell Santucci

Loss, you do know there is a major difference between pushing a roided up Luger as a full timer and a roided up movie star part timer Rock, right?

The difference is that Dave likes The Rock and didn't like Luger.

Probably but my point is the locker room isn't going to look at the Rock and think, "Man, if I blew up like that, I will get the pushes." They would be thinking more accurately- "Man, if I got as over as he did, then left for years and found other ways to get even more popular while acting like I didn't need wrestling anymore, then decided to gift WWE with some spot appearances, they will bend over backwards for me too". The Rock is in a different league than Luger ever was in 1992. Your point is valid however about Dave's biases coloring the newsletters.

True, though the following might sound absurd but we're talking McMahonland - so in fairness, Luger was awarded with an unprecedented contract in 1992 to be WBF's star. I forget the terms, but he was making more money than almost everyone on the roster short of Hulk Hogan without even having to wrestle. Vince treated Luger like he was a big deal.

Yeah so the locker room was right to resent Luger as Meltzer implies. It was a big stupid gamble on Vince's part. Nothing like signing a proven mega icon wrestling star Rock for few appearances. The resentment would be more to the idea he gets the screen time over the full timers and he does not show the commitment they hoped he would. The steroids issue plays no role in it. With Luger, there is a clear message sent- "We signed this guy because he has a great body. Maybe if you had his body, we will treat you importantly too."

Horrible

WHO WAS THE BIGGEST STAR IN GEORGIA TERRITORY HISTORY?

Ric Flair 44.8%

Mr Wrestling II 22.3%

Ole Anderson 7.2%

Fred Blassie 5.4%

Dusty Rhodes 5.0%

Jack Brisco 3.9%

Mr. Wrestling 3.2%

Masked Superstar 2.9%

Harley Race 1.8%

Ray Gunkel 1.4%

The Assassins 0.7%

The Torres Brothers 0.4%

Horrible

WHO WAS THE BIGGEST STAR IN GEORGIA TERRITORY HISTORY?

Ric Flair 44.8%

Mr Wrestling II 22.3%

Ole Anderson 7.2%

Fred Blassie 5.4%

Dusty Rhodes 5.0%

Jack Brisco 3.9%

Mr. Wrestling 3.2%

Masked Superstar 2.9%

Harley Race 1.8%

Ray Gunkel 1.4%

The Assassins 0.7%

The Torres Brothers 0.4%

:blink:

This one is almost as bad

WHO WAS THE BIGGEST STAR IN FLORIDA TERRITORY HISTORY?

Dusty Rhodes 64.2%

Jack Brisco 10.9%

Eddie Graham 10.6%

Ric Flair 7.9%

Lou Thesz 2.0%

Terry Funk 2.0%

Kevin Sullivan 1.0%

Gene Kiniski 0.7%

Dory Funk Jr. 0.3%

Harley Race 0.3%

Flair over the Funks and Sullivan

Guest Nell Santucci

--The Chris Masters story has gotten a lot of play over the past day. Good Morning America did a piece on it this morning. (thanks to Josh M Marino and others)

I could imagine HHH milking that, sending a message to the fans that "I could pull out two trees and even pull Vince McMahon from out of a burning house" as he pedigrees Masters in 7 minutes on PPV.

The bad message being sent is that if you are the biggest draw in the company, you aren't going to be drug tested like everyone else. It's nothing new, but Dave's apathy on these types of issues *is* new, because he's a personal friend of the Rock.

Not denying he has a blind spot for the Rock, but if you look back it seemed Dave largely threw his hands up when it comes to drug testing in the mid 2000s when it was clear guys were never going to stop doing them. Reading his stuff during the 90s, he comes off as someone ready to grab the torches and get the mob headed toward Stanford. By the time the umpteenth 90s guy died from a drug related death, he was basically "fuck it, nothing's ever going to change".

Totally agree with Sek on this one. It was a long war that Dave fought from roughly David Von Erich's death on through the ones in the mid-00s. At a certain point, it gets tiring to fight a war for 20-25 years, see nothing change, and see guys that you liked on various levels (from workers in the ring to guys he felt were friendly when he talked with them or met them... to guys that he was truly friendly with) drop dead. :/

John

Bryan announced on the last B&V show that they are going to start moderating the BOARD~! in a few weeks. This has potential for epic hilarity as the gimmick posters are already starting to rebel.

Also re: the Weider news, I hope someone is keeping an eye on Triple H in this traumatic times.

Guest Andrews

Bryan announced on the last B&V show that they are going to start moderating the BOARD~! in a few weeks. This has potential for epic hilarity as the gimmick posters are already starting to rebel.

Also re: the Weider news, I hope someone is keeping an eye on Triple H in this traumatic times.

That whole board is pretty fucked up and retarded though. When I was a member there was a "jail bait" photo thread which had the highest view rating of any topic. Says a lot about the clientèle.

Is an apology coming for the number of times through the years that Dave has criticized Hogan for the exact same thing? The Rock pandering is ridiculous these days.

--Dwayne Johnson didn't mention WrestleMania at all last night on Jay Leno. That likely means it was the G.I. Joe people who set up the appearance and told him to only plug the movie. Most of the time when it comes to shows like this, what you can plug is worked out ahead of time between the people who book you on the show and the people on the show. People critical of him for this one must not realize that it wasn't his decision, and usually these things aren't the decision of the celebrity.

If the studio didnt want The Rock bringing the belt with him and promoting WrestleMania during his media tour, why was The Rock bringing the belt with him and promoting WrestleMania during his media tour a big reason for giving him the belt?

If the studio didnt want The Rock bringing the belt with him and promoting WrestleMania during his media tour, why was The Rock bringing the belt with him and promoting WrestleMania during his media tour a big reason for giving him the belt?

It reminds me of that one time where they could have chosen anyone to represent the company on Survivor and chose Trashley Sandbags Massaro.

Is an apology coming for the number of times through the years that Dave has criticized Hogan for the exact same thing? The Rock pandering is ridiculous these days.

--Dwayne Johnson didn't mention WrestleMania at all last night on Jay Leno. That likely means it was the G.I. Joe people who set up the appearance and told him to only plug the movie. Most of the time when it comes to shows like this, what you can plug is worked out ahead of time between the people who book you on the show and the people on the show. People critical of him for this one must not realize that it wasn't his decision, and usually these things aren't the decision of the celebrity.

I love how he's just giving him the benefit of the doubt at first, and then one sentence later it's just fact.