Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if it's Yahoo seeing that MMA is trending downward and they don't have to cover it as extensively anymore.

They would have the traffic stats to show what business it's doing.

They also probably could hire Zach or Snowden to for much less than then pay everyone over there. Then again, those two probably would be on Zuffa's shit list and not get credentialed. :)

John

'90s New Japan was successful on TV in Europe as "Ring Warriors", but then the in-ring product was way better and there was less TV competition. Otherwise, successful Japanese products overseas are markedly less 'Japanese' than something like puro. Translate the dialog on a Final Fantasy game and it's ready to go with only a lingering amount of uniquely Japanese element to it. Cars have zero culture content.

The market for US animation is significantly larger than the US market for pro wrestling. Now apply that to anime and puro to get a sense of the monetary implications. Plus you already have puro-influenced US indies copying the 'highspots and pure sports build' aspects that in theory make puro superior to WWE/TNA.

Bottom line: not gonna happen.

He's talking about Japanese entertainment doing big-league business over here. Anime isn't exactly Pixar. Video games are probably the best counterpoint.

Obviously New Japan has zero chance of doing business over here. Hence the:

"That's not what I mean!"

-Dave

It's just fun to poke at the poor choice of words.

John

Translate the dialog on a Final Fantasy game and it's ready to go with only a lingering amount of uniquely Japanese element to it.

Tell that to Ted Woolsey.

Just to be clear, New Japan has absolutely no shot of breaking into the US in a big way. Weren't they running shows in rec centers when they came to the US last year? And the current WON says that Tanahashi makes something like $260,000 a year. I know that Japan isn't the land of big paydays anymore, but holy crap. I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi Tatsu made more than him.

Translate the dialog on a Final Fantasy game and it's ready to go with only a lingering amount of uniquely Japanese element to it.

Not to go too far afield, but wasn't Woolsey's whole bit that he mastered the art of reworking Japanese gaming things into a western context to the point that there only remained "a lingering amount of uniquely Japanese element to it"?

Not to go too far afield, but wasn't Woolsey's whole bit that he mastered the art of reworking Japanese gaming things into a western context to the point that there only remained "a lingering amount of uniquely Japanese element to it"?

Yeah, but I took Ditch to be saying that the FF games could be translated verbatim without any issues.

I really wish they would start completely from scratch and re-engineer the whole thing. As much as people on here right or wrongly complain about the editorial etc the site has tremendous growth potential.

Ive gotten more than a handful of people to sign up but most I've had to walk through the sign up process and the site with them.

I wish Bryan would invest in site design to a similar degree if not more he did with his audio equipment.

The best part about the whole change is the huge Twitter links at the top of the page especially after all the bitching about Twitter.

How come Dave doesn't have a personal Twitter handle? I have to think one of the main reasons he doesn't is because he doesn't want to expose any of the boys tweeting him in public which could bring them heat from the office and possibly ruin a good source for the Observer . That said Dave has never really been on the forefront of technology it seems and maybe I'm totally bit off-base on my theory why he doesn't do Twitter.

And if Dave doesn't re-sign with Yahoo where does he land? I'd have to think that some sports media outfit would pick him up pretty quickly. Dave was traveling a lot to cover UFC the last few years but it seems maybe the last 4 to 6 months he hasn't traveled as much. If he loses the Yahoo gig maybe he will have to turn to Twitter to try and bring in new fans if the Observer site is going to be his main source of income going forward.

The best part about the whole change is the huge Twitter links at the top of the page especially after all the bitching about Twitter.

How come Dave doesn't have a personal Twitter handle? I have to think one of the main reasons he doesn't is because he doesn't want to expose any of the boys tweeting him in public which could bring them heat from the office and possibly ruin a good source for the Observer . That said Dave has never really been on the forefront of technology it seems and maybe I'm totally bit off-base on my theory why he doesn't do Twitter.

He's said that he would be on it if he had more time.

On the most recent Observer Radio, Dave talks about the sale of New Japan to Bushiroad and the new president mentioning plans to expand New Japan internationally. Dave said that talk worries him because Japanese cultural products don't export well. What? Has he never played a video game or watched an anime?

He was talking about Japanese entertainers. The biggest stars in the Japanese music, television and film industries are not very well known outside of Japan.

On the most recent Observer Radio, Dave talks about the sale of New Japan to Bushiroad and the new president mentioning plans to expand New Japan internationally. Dave said that talk worries him because Japanese cultural products don't export well. What? Has he never played a video game or watched an anime?

He was talking about Japanese entertainers. The biggest stars in the Japanese music, television and film industries are not very well known outside of Japan.

As I recall, his thoughts weren't fully formed on the radio show. He said "Japanese cultural" and then started talking about entertainers. Here's what he wrote in the most recent Observer after he had time to collect his thoughts:

At a press conference on 1/31, he talked about international expansion, which previous owners tried without success as unlike American culture, Japanese culture doesn’t export into foreign markets well, particularly in wrestling hotbeds like Mexico, Australia, the U.S. and Europe.

He then wrote the following:

New Japan, which was super popular in Italy in the early 80s on television during a boom period, but also a period where the television featured some of the biggest worldwide stars on a regular basis, failed in an attempt in that market a few years back.

In other words, if the product is good, it'll export well. If it isn't, it won't. It's not about culture.

The point Dave is making is right. It's a pretty well known point and not a major relevation, but Japan does a poor job of exporting its cultural products. I'm not sure Dave could name the American cultural products that are big in Japan, but he knows that American movie stars and musicians are big draws here. As Dave said on the radio show, Japan doesn't even do a good job of exporting its cultural products inside Asia. Korea does laps around Japan when it comes to film, television and music. It's a common talking point here as Japan needs something to revive its flagging economy. Anime and video games are still seen as something of an embarrassment in terms of cultural exports, at least by the older lawmakers.